PDA

View Full Version : cats dissecting people.

RICHARD
01-09-2004, 05:07 PM
Do you think there is a revenge factor involved?
This story gave ME THE WILLIES!!!

A few years back I met up with a bear while camping......

:eek:

------------------------------

Mountain lion attacks biker in Orange County; body found nearby

By Associated Press

LOS ANGELES (AP) - A mountain lion attacked and severely injured a bicyclist in an Orange County park and may have killed a man whose body was found nearby, authorities said.

Authorities shot and killed a 2-year-old male cat hours later near the site where they discovered the body of Mark Jeffrey Reynolds, 35, of Foothill Ranch.

Authorities were "pretty confident" it was the animal that had committed the attack and took it to a laboratory for testing on Friday, said Steve Martarano, a spokesman for the California Fish and Game Department.

Anne Hjelle had been riding with a friend in Whiting Ranch Wilderness Park shortly before dusk Thursday when the mountain lion attacked her, said Orange County Fire Capt. Stephen Miller.

The lion pounced on the 30-year-old's back, grabbed her by her head and began dragging her, said her friend, Debbie Nichols. Nichols said she screamed for help and grabbed Hjelle's legs in a struggle to free her.

"He dragged us down ... about 100 yards into the brush and I just kept screaming," Nichols said. "This guy would not let go. He had a hold of her face."

Other cyclists in the area threw rocks at the animal until it fled.

"I picked up a rock and threw it at the cat and the rock hit the cat right on the side of the head and the cat took off straight ahead and let go of the woman," Diego Lopez said.

Hjelle was airlifted to Mission Hospital, where she was in serious condition early Friday, a nursing supervisor said.

After the attack, Reynolds' body was found at the top of a trail near a bicycle. Authorities weren't sure how long he had been there and couldn't confirm if he was killed by the mountain lion, but Miller said, "it's pretty obvious that an animal was involved." An autopsy was planned Friday.

Authorities said a second mountain lion in the area was hit by a car and killed late Thursday and would also be tested.

Including Thursday's incident, there have been 13 mountain lion attacks on humans in California over the past 114 years, said Doug Updike, a biologist with California Fish and Game Department. In those cases, there were five fatalities, he said.

"The probability of somebody being attacked by a lion is extremely rare," Updike said. "There is a better chance of being struck by lightning than being attacked by a lion."

Thursday's attack was in a southern Orange County park adjacent to the communities of Foothill Ranch and Portola Hills and Cleveland National Forest.

Although the number of attacks is comparatively small, there have been previous sightings and attacks nearby.

Last September, game wardens shot and wounded an aggressive mountain lion spotted near an equestrian center in San Juan Capistrano. The lion was later found and killed, state officials said.

In 1986, 5-year-old Laura Small was attacked while looking for tadpoles with her mother in Ronald W. Caspers Wilderness Park in Orange County.

The girl's mother was able to rescue her daughter whose skull was partially crushed by the mountain lion's jaws. She was left blind in one eye and paralyzed on her right side.

Months later, a 6-year-old boy was mauled in the same park. County supervisors closed most of the park to children for nearly a decade. The ban was lifted in December 1997.

Three years later, a state law was passed prohibiting people from hunting or killing mountain lions.

The threat of mountain lions has become an increasing problem in Southern California as development encroaches upon rural areas that have been home to various animals.

Updike estimates there are between 4,000 and 6,000 adult lions roaming the Golden State, with usually five to seven mountain lions per 100 square miles.

RedHedd
01-09-2004, 05:21 PM
YEOW! I did see this story. Glad I'm strictly a City gal! The cats are probably coming out of the woods that were destroyed in the fires last fall looking for food. It's a hard life for our wildlife.

RICHARD
01-09-2004, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by RedHedd
It's a hard life for our wildlife.
I know,
I get pretty testy when I'm hungry.
:rolleyes:

Karen
01-09-2004, 05:31 PM
Bewteen all the wildlife, California's rapidly growing human population, and increasing development in these cats' territories, it is no wonder attacks happen. I wouldn't wear tunafish perfume while jogging in any Calfornia parks ...

Okay, or anywhere else, either. Leave the wildlife to the wild places, keep the humans in cages - I like the San Diego wild animal park!

RedHedd
01-09-2004, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Karen
I wouldn't wear tunafish perfume while jogging in any Calfornia parks ...
but, but, but .... that's my favorite new perfume! :D :D

mugsy
01-09-2004, 05:49 PM
Leave the wildlife to the wild places, keep the humans in cages

AMEN KAREN!!!!

RICHARD
01-09-2004, 05:59 PM
. I wouldn't wear tunafish perfume while jogging in any Calfornia parks ...

Okay, or anywhere else, either. Leave the wildlife to the wild places, keep the humans in cages - I like the San Diego wold animal park!

lololol,

That made me cry!!

There are quite a few incidents like this that happen year after year...

My encounter came after a making boullabaise at a campsite.....we tossed the shells and stuff into a dumpster right by the bathrooms....I woke up to use the facilities when I almost walked up to the
bear, rooting around by the trash container..

Had their not been a full moon that night I would probably come within 5 or six feet of it..as it was I caught sight of the moving fur coat from across the little paved road..

:eek:

It wasn't wearing tuna fish perfume....it was Eau de Ocean, by Cousteau..

French, Ya know?
;)

G.P.girl
01-09-2004, 06:10 PM

Okay, or anywhere else, either. Leave the wildlife to the wild places, keep the humans in cages !

Not such a bad idea!!!

ehe--i'm glad i don't live in cali-forn-ia. well i take that back. i'm glad i haven't been attacked by a mountian lion. i would love to go to cali-forn-ia. ;)

IttyBittyKitty
01-10-2004, 07:47 AM
Bewteen all the wildlife, California's rapidly growing human population, and increasing development in these cats' territories, it is no wonder attacks happen. I wouldn't wear tunafish perfume while jogging in any Calfornia parks ...

You have tunafish perfume?

G.P.girl
01-10-2004, 11:29 AM
what do humans do when a bug comes in the house? they kill it or remove it from thier territory.

What does a mountain lion do when a human comes in to it's territory?

KYS
01-10-2004, 07:42 PM
I understand this was pretty rare, and I am afraid
might become more common as we keep
pushing the limits, by taking away their habitate. :(

I wish CA. would pass laws so
developing would have to STOP in the wildlife areas.

Richard,
I have camped and seen bears a couple of times.
I keep my distance. I would not want them to
make a can opener out of my widdle tiny motorhome. :eek:

luckies4me
01-10-2004, 10:09 PM
I am from California as most of you know. ;) During the fifth grade we went camping at Big Bear. We had several bags of food with us, including a huge bag of puppy chow (chocolate balls that are so delish!). A friend and I were in our tent getting out clothes together when everyone shouted "Bear". He was all but 5 feet away from us. We had to stay still for about 20 minutes while he rummaged through all our food and ate it in front of us (where's the love?!) and then decided to take a nap in our newly painted Suburban! After he crawled inside we were able to get out of the tent and scramble to safety.

He ate EVERYTHING but two bags of food. He squished out lanterns and just about everything else. In fact, after he ate all our food he decided to take a little nap (two hours) in the Suburban and then leave scratch marks all over the van. But he was cute! :D He was actually just a baby. But he almost gave me a heart attack! :eek:

DJFyrewolf36
01-11-2004, 07:59 PM
Closest Ive come to anything remotely dangerous around here is a pack of Coyotes and a rattlesnake or two. I find that if ya just leave animals ALONE, they tend to just wander right by...I know I sure didn't want to play poke the rattlesnake to see if it would bite...I'm not nuts like the Croc hunter lol. Siriously though, people shouldn't blame animals for protecting what they think is their rightful terirory...we don't shoot people that kill rats/mice/insects that invade human habitats...at least not yet anyway....
Watch for PETA members with shotguns....
Oh and Karen...don't wear tunafish perfume in ANY wooded area lol...bound to be something out there that would find it tasty.

leslie flenner
01-11-2004, 10:05 PM
What gp girl says is right. what's happening here is people complaining about coyotes eating their little dogs but yet refusing to supervise their dogs out in the yard so duh. Coyotes have little food here because we've moved in so it should be expected and i'm sick of people complaining about it...(MA). They used to eat on what wolves left but we killed them off so... hello they are garbage animals at times..

RICHARD
01-15-2004, 04:01 PM
They just announced that the autopsy done on the mountain lion
did show that the cat had killed the biker who stopped to fix his bike..

Also, on the news last night they broadcast a clip of another lion
hanging around in the foothills around Lost Angeles.:eek:

Twisterdog
01-15-2004, 10:52 PM
Well, it's sad to be sure.

However, they were there first. Wild animals lived in the foothills and mountains long, long before humans started building condos and riding mountain bikes there.

Sooner or later, we'll manage to kill off all the predators everywhere. :mad: And when we do, then we'll be whining about the 500,000,000 deer that run onto the highways and bash up our cars. :rolleyes:

Until then, though, some people are going to get eaten. Such is life when we are pressing into their territory. They don't understand property rights and city boundaries, they just want to eat.