PDA

View Full Version : Neutering Question....

DogLover9501
01-09-2004, 11:51 AM
Okay well Jasper is getting neutered next month, around feb. 7th-9th, anytime after he turns 5 months.

My cousin has a collie mix, who got fixed last month, and he had desolving stitches, that were inside:confused: I think she said, and you couldnt see them, so he didn't need a cone thing.

BUT when Piddle got neutered, he had to go back and get his stitches out, but still didnt need a cone.

I think the disolving stitches are alot easier, but does that depend on the different vet? because my cousin goes to a different one than us...

GoldenRetrLuver
01-09-2004, 11:59 AM
I think it depends on the vet. Both of mine had the "dissolving" stiches, on the inside, but on the outside they were regular stiches. So, the ones inside dissolved, but we had to take them back to the vet to get the ones on the surface out.

Did that even make sence? :o

lovemyshiba
01-09-2004, 12:32 PM
It depends on the vet.
My vet uses stitches that we have to go back in 2 weeks to have removed, but my stepmom's vet uses the dissolving ones.

About the cone, only one of my dogs had to wear it--some just don't bother their stitches as much.

aly
01-09-2004, 12:49 PM
Jasper still may have to wear a cone with the dissolving sutures. If he keeps licking himself, he could still cause it to get infected. I would just watch him closely when he first comes home to determine if he needs the cone or not.

At the shelter, most of our vets use the dissolvable ones but some do the outside ones. I haven't seen much of a difference as far as comfort levels go, but the dissolvable ones do look a little less 'messy'.

My Peanuts
01-09-2004, 01:48 PM
Personally I don't like the dissolving stitches. I had a really bad experience with them. We adopted Harley from a shelter that was about 45 minutes to an hour away so when they altered him we got the dissolving stitches. After about a week the stitches didn't look so good so we took him to our regular vet. The stitches weren't dissolving properly and they had to cut them out. The worst part was that they had to nip a thin layer of skin to get to the stitch. Harley was a perfect angel, but I felt so bad for him :( . Trust me; it's better to get the regular stitches. Less problems.

DogLover9501
01-09-2004, 04:38 PM
Okay thanks everyone, I guess I won't ask the vet about the disolving stitches as I was going to, I think Jasper would be at his stitches 24/7, as he never leaves anything alone:rolleyes: I might as well get the cone anyway!