PDA

View Full Version : Ib?????????

G.P.girl
01-09-2004, 08:58 AM
Has anyone heard of it or been in it? it's an International Balcaloreate (sp??) program where you can get college credit for classsses you've taken, and gotten good grades on. i'm going to highschool next year and my mom wants me to be in the program. To get in all you have to do in be already in a highly capable(HC) class at your school (and have good grades of course). Or if you aren't in HC classes then you have to take a test to get in. I'm in Hc classes at my school, but sinc ei wasn't here at the end of last year i didn't take the WASL (standerdized tests) they want me to have to test to get in. has anybody heard of this or been in it? i kinda want to know what it's going to be like.:)

GoldenRetrLuver
01-09-2004, 11:31 AM
We have that at my high school only they're called AP classes. (Advanced Placement) I'm not in any of them. :o I have a few friends who are, and they said it's VERY difficult, but they want College credits. But, we don't have to take a test to get in. It's the student's choice if they want to take the class(es), and at the end of the year they have a big test which they rate on a 1-5 scale. If you get a 3 or 4 on it, you get your College credits.

I'm think of taking AP Biology next year, just to get a feel for it. :)

cali
01-09-2004, 04:05 PM
we have IB at my school but the only way in is if you get really high grades and a teachers recomendation. from what I have heard they are REALLY difficult, several of the smartest people in my class(Grade 11) took an IB coarse and quite after 2 days because it was way to hard. :eek:

Candy16
01-09-2004, 04:12 PM
I've never heard of IB classes, but like Golden said, at my school we have AP (Advanced Placement) classes. They are very challenging courses. I have AP English right now, and it is quite a difficult class. I'm praying for a 3 on the final test in May, because the highest score you can receive is a 5, and that's just not going to happen here! LoL I did not have to take a test to take the class, but I did have to sign a form before the first day of school this year saying that if I agreed to take the class, I couldn't drop it even if it was too hard. Believe me, there have been many days I've wanted to quit, but I'm hanging in there! :p It sounds like the same thing (almost) happening at your school. I would suggest talking to your guidance counselor at the high school. They will be able to help you out! Good luck! :)

Tonya
01-09-2004, 04:22 PM
I've never heard of IB, but I was in AP classes in highschool. There is a little more work involved and you have to take the classes serious, but they aren't to bad. If you have the capability, go for it! My little sister is also in AP classes. She kind of regrets it because there is so much more pressure. But then again, she's an over-achiever.

G.P.girl
01-09-2004, 04:52 PM
Yes they have AP at the highschool, and running start and a bunch of other gifted classes. I know IB is the hardest (at this school anyway) and i think it's the best choice for me, since they learn with the same methods i've been learing with in hungary the last few years. but with AP you can take just one class, and you have to take full IB or none here. so youhave to be a "well rounded" student as they worded it. i made an appiontment to talk to the counsler at my school so maybe i can talk to him. i guess i don't really mind talking the test to get in, but i'd rather play it safe since this is so important to me. plus my mom would kill me if i didn't ;) :rolleyes:

G.P.girl
01-31-2004, 11:01 PM
welll i took the test adn im waiting for the results now...keep your fingers crossed:)