PDA

View Full Version : more or less traumatizing?

Sirrahsim
01-09-2004, 04:37 AM
I have to figure out Boomer's future when it comes time for us to leave this base... I'm still going to be over here for another 2.5 years or so, but I figure that this decision is one that must be made early or I'll never keep myself to it. I know that there are many families here on base that would give Boomer a loving home if we were to go that route... Which do you think would be better for him? He'll be about 4.5 years old when it comes time for us to leave... SO should we put him through the agony of being alone with a bunch of other animals in a cold lonely cargo bay for a 16 hour or so flight..... Or should we find a loving family to pass him along to before we leave. It's not a matter of loving him or not, I'd be crushed to leave him behind. The thing is that he is already very skittish. When v-e-t time comes, he goes limp and his heart rate rockets up as soon as he sees his cage... I don't know how humane it would be to make him get in the cage (without food, litter,or water per vets orders) and leave him alone. I was considering buying a carrier that will fit under the seat in front of me, so that he can be up in the cabin with me, but the problem with that is that we don't get to choose our flight and there are only one or two airlines that come out here that will allow pets in the cabin. Do you think it would be better to find my Boomer a loving home here, and then rescue another little kitty at our next location? I know you might think it's too early to be thinking about this, but I want to make sure that whatever we decide will be what's best for Boomer, not what's best for me... Thanks for your input, I hope this all makes sense

jenluckenbach
01-09-2004, 05:06 AM
Well, You have 2.5 years to crate train him if that is your wish. You also have time to ask about and possibly even trial run tranquilizers (speak to the vet).

To crate train, keep a cage or carrier in your home and set up ALL the time. Feed him in there. Start with the door open. Then begin very slowly closing him in there for short periods of time which will get longer and longer. Take him for car rides (If that is possible) to get used to the movement.
As far as no food or litter in the carrier, resist the urge to feed him right before takeoff. Let his tummy be empty for an hour or 2 (ask a vet for a more accurate amount of time) before the trip. Hopefully he will use the box before the time of the flight and less food in tummy equals less chance of nausia. It is NOT cruel, because cats going under surgery cannot have food for for 12 hours before surgery and then they will not be fed for another 12 to 24 hours after surgery to prevent nausia from the anestesia, so Boomer will be fine (Food wise).

If your crate training efforts fail after you give him a reasonable amount of time you will still have time to think about the re-homing route.

JMO

Kirsten
01-09-2004, 05:43 AM
First of all let me say that thinking about this so early just proves what a responsible cat mommy (or daddy?) you are!

It's not an easy decision to make, but I guess if I were you and Boomer would be in good health at that time, I would take him with me. The thought about having him for so many hours in the cargo would scare me indeed, but from what I've heard, there are airlines that allow a pet in a carrier under your seat. I'm sure others here know more about it and can give you helpfull advice.

All in all, I think one scary day for Boomer will be less traumatizing than having to adjust to a new enviroment AND a new family!

Kirsten

Cataholic
01-09-2004, 07:24 AM
May I suggest you pm Soledad? She transported her baby. Also, Drake's mom did the same to her doggie...so, I think you should look at the transport idea, seriously.

sqwelch
01-09-2004, 08:13 AM
I'm glad I don't have to make the decision, what a horrible decision to make, personally I'd do anything to take him with me but you are a fab mummy by looking at it from his point of view. Crate training sounds good to me and hopefully he'll get over his fear !!!

aly
01-09-2004, 10:33 AM
How come you can't pick your flight? Is it because it is being paid for? If that is the case, it might be worthwhile to save up the money and pay for it yourself so you can pick a flight where Boomer can ride under your seat.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-09-2004, 10:34 AM
I, also, would work on the crate training and thinking about taking him with. I agree that one scary day would be better than having to re-adjust to an entirely different life.

And you say you don't get to choose your flight. I'm assuming that is because the military would be flying you back - or wherever you're headed to next - and you would go on whatever flight they set up. Would it be totally out of the question to have hubby fly back on that flight and you and Boomer schedule your own flight (which, of course, would mean paying for it too) so he could be in the cabin with you?

16 hours is a long, long time for a kitty to be without a litterbox. If he was in the cabin with you, you could possibly work something out where after, like 8 hours or so, you took him in the bathroom with a small box or even a bag with litter in it just so he could get some relief.

And I agree with Kirsten that thinking about this and planning ahead of time just shows what a responsible meowmy you are. :)

Sirrahsim
01-09-2004, 06:00 PM
thanks a lot for all of your input. I might try to start crate training Boomer some time this year:) As for paying for my own flight/flying seperatly, that just wouldn't work:( If I stayed around on the base waiting for a "hop" (military plane with a seat or two to spare) there's no guarantee that it'd be a plane that would allow Boomer. Not to mention that waiting for a hop to a certain location could take weeks of shopping up at the airport packed and ready to go at 4 am. I can't fly out commercially simply because there's no way to get Boomer out to Narita International Airport. The base shuttle does not allow pets, and neither do the cab companies. And seeing as it can be about a 3 hour drive I don't think there would be people chomping at the bit to drive me out there, assuming I was able to get a flight that allowed pets. *sigh* I will definately try the crate training, but if it goes anything like the harness training is going it could be a long, hard road:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Thanks a lot:)

Lixx
01-09-2004, 06:19 PM
Crate training, I've found is alot more acceptable than harness training (my cats experience). Like jenluckenbach said, keep the crate out all the time. Put good things in it, feed him there. Most cats love the privacy it gives. My guys have to be convinced NOT to go in. Orangey especially ends up in crates he's not supposed to be in (gone to the car on the way to the vet with one, realising I actually had two!). The sooner you start the better. I'm sure you'll get a pet flight =)

catland
01-09-2004, 06:32 PM
a couple of other ideas to help with the crate training.

1. Catnip.
2. A towel or t-shirt or other article of your clothing.

Also, if anything, cats mellow over time instead of getting more skittish - so good luck with Boomer.

PayItForward
01-09-2004, 06:32 PM
I am interested in why you even considered not taking Boomer with you in the first place ?

Surely you knew you would be going home one day, did you not think about this before you adopted your cat ?

Julie (Ally Cat's Mommy) only adopted her first/second cat after considering how to transport them 'Home' when they decide to move back.

If Boomer is your pet, he should be your pet for life. he should be taken with you wherever you go.

I really hope I am wrong but judging on the amount of 'I can't' in your posts suggests that you don't want to take him with you. :(

Sirrahsim
01-10-2004, 01:36 AM
First off, we got a total of about 48 hours to decide if we were going to adopt Boomer from his previous family. That's not much time to think through all the details- our main concern was finding Boomer a loving home so that he would not be given back to the shelter here. Secondly, if you're not involved in the US military, it's hard to understand how things work. It's a completely different lifestyle than anyone outside of it can ever know. I happen to love it, they take excellent care of their airmen and the families of the airmen. But with all the good comes the understanding that we have to abide by all of the regulations. Even if some of them may seem silly to us. One of these things is regarding pet transport. They do their best to accomodate, but being at an overseas base makes things difficult. If we had the choice to fly commercially, we would but that's just not an option right now. I made this post to ask what would be best for Boomer's well being. The concensus is that crate training and bringing him along would be best for him, so that's what I'm going to try to do. Everyday decisions are harder when you have to abide by someone else's rules, but I've excepted that and that's just how it is. Thanks for your concern, but my desire to bring him along was never a question. :)

Julie Grove
01-10-2004, 12:53 PM
I am sure you will do what is best for your cat and I think you are wise to be thinking ahead. I think that the training is a good idea and certainly talking to as many people about this is adviseable as you never know who may be able to shed some light. My brother in law successfully transported 3 cats to India and they were very happy. He didn't take any special precautions.

catcrazylady
01-10-2004, 03:08 PM
This is a really hard decision. I'm sorry you have to worry about this, but I'm glad you are thinking about it this far ahead.
IMO I think you should bring Boomer home with you. I think you would miss him terribly if you left him behind.
Another thing to consider is that if you leave Boomer behind with another military family the day will come when they will have to go and probably leave Boomer behind again. And it could possibly happen again and again.
I would compare one bad day to every three years flipping families. The time could come that a nice family could choose the shelter as an option if they can't find a good home for him.
My ex was in the military for awhile so I do understand how limited your choices are but I would take these other things into consideration.
I'm sure you will do the best thing no matter what you decide because you are a good meowmie and love Boomer very much.
:D :D :D http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/biggrin.gif

sirrahved
01-10-2004, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by PayItForward
I am interested in why you even considered not taking Boomer with you in the first place ?

Surely you knew you would be going home one day, did you not think about this before you adopted your cat ?

Julie (Ally Cat's Mommy) only adopted her first/second cat after considering how to transport them 'Home' when they decide to move back.

If Boomer is your pet, he should be your pet for life. he should be taken with you wherever you go.

I really hope I am wrong but judging on the amount of 'I can't' in your posts suggests that you don't want to take him with you. :(

The whole Harris family is just a bunch of cat abusers, aren't we, Missy? I guess that means that all of us have been yelled at now...

PayItForward
01-10-2004, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by sirrahved
The whole Harris family is just a bunch of cat abusers, aren't we, Missy? I guess that means that all of us have been yelled at now...
A civil query is not shouting at someone.

My post was polite and to the point, I did not yell at anyone.

Please do not imply I said more than I did, that is unfair and untrue :(

sirrahved
01-10-2004, 05:31 PM
Okay, you just implied that she was a bad cat owner and shouldn't have pets. That's all. That's sooooooo much better!:rolleyes: :mad:

She came in looking for help in a tough decision. For you to imply that she was being irresponsible was WRONG! Save the moral judgments for OUTSIDE of an otherwise fun and educational pastime!

PayItForward
01-10-2004, 05:35 PM
Okay, you just implied that she was a bad cat owner and shouldn't have pets. That's all. That's sooooooo much better!:rolleyes: :mad:

She came in looking for help in a tough decision. For you to imply that she was being irresponsible was WRONG! Save the moral judgments for OUTSIDE of an otherwise fun and educational pastime!
Please read what I ACTUALLY wrote.

You are determined to read more into my words then I meant, that is your problem not mine.

sirrahved
01-10-2004, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by PayItForward

Translated....

How could you even suggest not taking him with you? You knew you would leave, it was irresponsible to not consider this before letting him into your home. You're bound to this cat, and making him suffer under a plane for sixteen hours is your only viable option! Julie was responsible, she already figured out how to get them back to the states. You just don't want the responsibility...

Did I read correctly? I think I know how to do that...

PayItForward
01-10-2004, 06:03 PM
Translated....

How could you even suggest not taking him with you? You knew you would leave, it was irresponsible to not consider this before letting him into your home. You're bound to this cat, and making him suffer under a plane for sixteen hours is your only viable option! Julie was responsible, she already figured out how to get them back to the states. You just don't want the responsibility...

Did I read correctly? I think I know how to do that...
Yes, that's is the right gist with one major correction. Your last line of your translation should read....

'I hope I have misread your post which implies you don't want the responsibility'

See, you can read and understand my posts :D

Although your translation is on the harsh side. My post was entirely lighter in tone and attitude than your translation.

Your translation accuses, where as my post is an genuine enquiry.

G.P.girl
01-10-2004, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Sirrahsim
First off, we got a total of about 48 hours to decide if we were going to adopt Boomer from his previous family. That's not much time to think through all the details- our main concern was finding Boomer a loving home so that he would not be given back to the shelter here. Secondly, if you're not involved in the US military, it's hard to understand how things work. It's a completely different lifestyle than anyone outside of it can ever know. I happen to love it, they take excellent care of their airmen and the families of the airmen. But with all the good comes the understanding that we have to abide by all of the regulations.
yes i know what you mean, plus (i don't know how it was for you guys) but we never knew exactly how long we were staying, they said it could be anywhere from 1-10 years (in hungary)i had to leave my guinea pigs there, bu twe took our rabbit back(cadbury) adn he HATEd his cage at first, but we did what jenluckenbach said and got him used to it. and even though he was alittle scared after the flight he was fine. we put food and water in his cage though. i think you have to send food with your animals. :)

G.P.girl
01-10-2004, 06:53 PM
She wasn't yelling at you. like she said her post was polite and to the point. please stop arguing:)

cutie_chica
01-10-2004, 09:19 PM
if you love him put him on a plane for 16 hours, its better than him NEVER seeing you again.