PDA

View Full Version : Kong Question

DogLover9501
01-09-2004, 02:19 AM
I have been interested in buying a kong for Jasper, and until a couple days ago, I had NO idea that you put stuff in them :o lol but now that I know, it seems alot more interesting, and Jasper would do ANYTHING for treats or peanut butter;)

BUT I would like some more information on them, like what size kong is good, AND exactly whats best to put in them, because with me, I would end up buying one, bringing it home and then not having a clue what to do with it:rolleyes: And with things like peanut butter in them, are these hard to clean?:confused:

binka_nugget
01-09-2004, 02:37 AM
My boys have a (puppy) medium sized kong. It's a tad bit too small for Kai so I'd get at least a large for Jasper.

For recipes, you can find a few here (http://www.kongcompany.com/how2use.html).

Kai actually never really showed interest in his kong until tonight and we've had it since he was a very young pup. I just needed to find the right food to stuff in there. I tried putting in some freeze dried liver bits in there with some peanut butter to hold it. WOW! He went NUTS for it. He never really liked peanut butter but he absolutely loves liver so I guess you'll just need to find the right recipe.

Sorry, forgot to answer your other question. With a larger sized kong, it wouldn't be too difficult to clean. I just find it a bit fustrating to clean peanut butter out of a medium sized kong but you can always avoid the PB and put some less messy food in there.

DogLover9501
01-09-2004, 03:16 AM
Thanks! Also that website doesnt work :(

Also is there a good place to buy these? I have seen them only at Canadian Tire stores and Zellers, I havent really looked, but they were about $9.99-$11.99 for small, so large would be maybe $15.99-17.99, I have seen the petsmart.com site, where larger kongs are 10 dollars, but I don't think we have a petsmart:( Its so cheap there compared to the prices I see around here!!

lv4dogs
01-09-2004, 08:29 AM
this topic was just posted a few days or a week ago, there are many ideas on what to stuff them with. As far as cleaning goes my dogs ussually clean them themselves but actually I THINK they may be dishwasher safe. I just rinse mine out with hot water.

As far as pricing goes I live in upstate NY & I spend about 15-20 bucks on the large ones at stores (may be cheaper on the internet but I hate to use my credit card unless its an emergancy so I shop in the stores) But i think the prices you mentioned are faily resonable.

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41327&highlight=kong (http://http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41327&highlight=kong)

How big is jasper? If shes a med. sized dog Id get the med size bone or maybe large.

DogLover9501
01-09-2004, 11:46 AM
0kay thanks, Jasper's a boxer puppy, Im thinking medium would do NOW but its better to get large-extra large so I dont need to buy a new one in a couple months lol

binka_nugget
01-09-2004, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by DogLover9501
Thanks! Also that website doesnt work :(

Also is there a good place to buy these? I have seen them only at Canadian Tire stores and Zellers, I havent really looked, but they were about $9.99-$11.99 for small, so large would be maybe $15.99-17.99, I have seen the petsmart.com site, where larger kongs are 10 dollars, but I don't think we have a petsmart:( Its so cheap there compared to the prices I see around here!!

Hm, well I know there are a couple petsmarts in canada. We have one around here but it's quite a long drive away. If you have a petcetera, you could try checking that place out. Although, I tend to find Zeller's items a bit cheaper than petcetera's. I think the prices on the petsmart site area so cheap because they're shown in American Currency although, I'm not quite sure...

DogLover9501
01-09-2004, 04:33 PM
I was looking in the phone book tonight, we dont have petsmart, petcetera, petco..nothing! We have 4-5 pet stores, and they all really expensive:eek: , What about wal-mart? I think thats cheap, but theres not much of a selection with pet stuff, I don't think I seen kongs there.

Anyway tonight I made Jasper a MilkBone sandwich lol I stuck 2 milkbones together with peanut butter and he loved it! Unfortunatly he seen me taking out the peanut butter, so he sometimes goes and scratches at the cupboard:rolleyes: