PDA

View Full Version : Please help :( :( :(

NoahsMommy
01-08-2004, 08:47 PM
I'm so upset. We may have to rehome our Olivia. :( :( :( :( :( :(

Noah has always been a big jerk to her, ever since they first laid eyes on each other a year ago. It was pretty peaceful, just growls and hisses. These few months, its gotten worse, no doubt because our household is more stressed with the kittens. He corners her, chases her and has recently scratched her. :(

Today, David went to work late because he's sick and was sleeping with the door shut (a huge rarity in our house). Aparently Noah, NOEL, MICAH AND BASIL were all chasing her. She either had to go potty and they wouldn't let her in the den (the other cat box is in our bedroom) or she was so upset, she went on the chairs she normally hangs out on during the day. :(

David said he awoke to them fighting and that Noah had scratched her cause he found black fur in his paws right after.

Its not fair to Olivia.

Noel and Micah don't ever exihibit that sort of behavior, EVER. Basie has been known to be "Bratty" every now and then, so that didn't shock me too much.

Problem #1
We rescued her almost exactly a year ago. She was six then, and is seven now. She lived her first six years with a family until they dumped her at the shelter because they moved. Now here we are, a year later and we may have to confuse her again. :( (ummm...a hundred more sad faces here...)

Problem #2
I trust NO ONE with a cat, let alone my cat. No one, unless I know them, is good enough.

Problem #3
Its ripping my heart out. :( (a MILLION more sad faces here)

Its the most fair thing for her, right?? I mean, what else do I do? PLEASE help with any suggestion. I so need them.

Thank you. :(

Livvy:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid69/p8971d1aba2ffb7ae258cf1e93d42fec0/fbb90d70.jpg

Lixx
01-08-2004, 08:56 PM
I wish I could be more helpful. I had a beautiful girl named spagetti who was the sweetest thing, but all my other cats hated her (or loved to torment her:( ). She never got a moments piece. She peed Everywhere, became skittish, always ate on her own. Unfortunatly the best thing I could do was find her a home where she'd be happy. Luckily I have an aunt who lives in a rural area with lots of land. While she has many cats, spagetti is able to go outside, and have her own space. She is much happier now. She too came from a family who dumped her ( she kept having kittens, and they didn't know what to do:mad: ) Luckily I still get to see her and have her in my life. I wish I could tell you how to fix it and make it work at your home. I would like to think the others will grow out of it, but that's a few years of torment for your girl. Do you have anyone who has lots of space/needs a single cat/needs a friend for another senior cat?

Miss Meow
01-08-2004, 09:04 PM
I'm so sorry that things haven't settled down.

I know you're already doing all the right things, so I don't know what to say :( It's quite serious when there is a group ganging up on poor Livvy. I'll put my thinking cap on ... but in the meantime big hugs to you and the furkids {{{hugs}}}

NoahsMommy
01-08-2004, 09:16 PM
I'm willing to do anything to keep her. I thought of this: we're buying a new cat tree next weekend. I'm thinking of putting it either in our bedroom or on the opposite wall from the large one we have now. Somewhere where she can have her own place to get away. Think that may help?

I can also add another Feliway plug in and increase the amount of Rescue Remedy I put in thier water.

I'm so upset. You know, I just thought that it would be more fair to Livvy if I declawed Noah!!! Can you believe I even thought that?????? :eek: How horrible. :(

aly
01-08-2004, 09:32 PM
Kelly -

I am so sorry you are going through this :( I really wish I could help you in some way.

Your cat tree idea might work. I would keep trying different things and maybe you'll come across something that will make everyone happy.

Karen
01-08-2004, 09:41 PM
If you were here, I'd have the perfect little old lady who could use a kitty, but just one. Do you know anyone, through church or work, any older person who is alone and might spoil her rotten?

I have no other suggestions, other than to say I have heard of kitties who were better "only child" cats. I know you would miss her horribly, but I hope you can find a solution, either in your home or that of someone you know.

jazzcat
01-08-2004, 10:50 PM
Do you have any idea why they are picking on her only? I'm just curious to know. Is it just Noah getting more aggressive and the rest are just joining in or is it something specific about her?

Since you are already using feliway and more I really have no suggestions except to separate her within the house but that's not much of a life for her either.

I really hope you can get this worked out and I hope someone has some wonderful wisdom to share with you, unfortunately I don't.

Poor little Olivia. That picture of her looks so much like Jazz when she's on her bed.

cutie_chica
01-08-2004, 11:40 PM
I'm so sorry to hear what you are going through. :( I wish you lots of luck. The tree thing might work. Maybe the other cats feel as if she is invading their space? Good Luck :) Kitty Hugs from Princess,Tony and Patches

((((((HUGS)))))))))

shais_mom
01-08-2004, 11:51 PM
Oh Kelly I am so sorry.
If I were closer I would take her in a heartbeat. But she probably wouldn't like Kylie or Keegan :(
Poor you and poor Livvy. Will be keeping you in my thoughts.

Sara luvs her Tinky
01-09-2004, 06:44 AM
Kelly,
I am so sorry...

Like Karen said.. do you know anyone at your church or someone you see often where you could keep close tabs on her or visit her often... Poor thing. I wonder why Noah picks on her..

I know i never have any real advice.. but i'm prayin for you and your kitties!

catlover4ever
01-09-2004, 07:21 AM
Kelly, I'm so sorry to hear this. I was having the same problem with Smokey, he was just super aggressive to Tigger. My vet gave me a pill for Smokey to take but I did not like what it did to Smokey, so what I did was tried to set uup special places for Tigger. I think that giving her her own special place will help.

What I did was I watched were Tigger frequented. She liked to spend time in the basement by my washer machine, so she got her own sleeping place down there. She also loves my closet, so again she has her own place there. I even moved her food. She is the only one who eats up on top of my couter (I know, a cat on top of the kitchen counter but it was the only place she could eat in peace). I did not have to move the cat boxes, they are in the basement and no one seems to bother her while she is doing her business.

I will keep you in my prayers that the problem is solved quickly. I wish you the best. --- Meg

Cataholic
01-09-2004, 07:22 AM
Kelly,
I am so sorry. I know this is tearing at your heart. Just this Christmas, we gave my bf's mom a kitty from the shelter. She was an adult kitty. The shelter workers cried over this girl. She was 'momma cat' to them, having fostered several litters. They were sure she would be going to a less loving home. Well, let me tell you, my bf's mom could not love this girl any more than she does! She and her husband dote on this kitty, call her to bed at night time, sit with her in front of the tv, etc. I guess my point is that as much as it hurts you to rehome her, know that the special person is out there that wil love Olivia tremendously. Maybe not the WAY you do, but, in their own special way. It would make Olivia happier, too. If your suggestions don't make a difference, know that there is another alternative- another loving home.
Hugs,
Johanna

bisi.cat
01-09-2004, 08:08 AM
Poor Livvy, poor Kelly!!!
Another suggestion is to try to keep Noah seperated at times, because actually he is the source of the problems...so Livvy would have the chance to peacefully interact with the other cats and gain more trust...

I hope you'll find a way to help them to coexist peacefully again...I think the most important thing now is that the others don't jump in and join Noah attacking that poor girl...

I keep you in my thoughts!!!
Paws and fingers crossed!!!

P.S. Even when I'm breaking a few nerves with my constant book suggestions, but please read
Wright, "Is my cat crazy?"
Dodman, "The cat who cried for help"
Cats are so sensitive and it's good to learn more about their behaviour ...

Russian Blue
01-09-2004, 09:09 AM
Poor Olivia!

Considering your in a small apartment I think the kittens did add too much stress to the whole place. Plus, you have been adding cats gradually over the last year and there is a limit to every cats tolerance.

This probably is a sign that their space is too limited & they need more room away from each other. I can't really tell you what to do Kelly, but it looks like a decision has to be made for the health of the household.

:(

catcrazylady
01-09-2004, 01:57 PM
My heart breaks for you. I SOOOOO understood the statement that you don't trust anyone to love them like you do. I feel the same way about mine.
I wish I had great advice to offer but it sounds like your new plan might be the only thing there is left to do. I also think that Bisi.cat had some good advice about seperating Noah so Livvy can relax. It is amazing that a sweet good natured cat can just turn on one cat for no reason. I guess they conflict like people.
I'm sending prayers because that is all I have to offer. Bless you and keep us posted.

moosmom
01-09-2004, 02:55 PM
Kelly,

I'm so sorry to hear about the problem between Noah and Olivia. Maybe giving her her OWN space might help. Because Noah was there before Olivia, I would isolate Olivia, not Noah.

Sometimes, no matter how hard you try, it just doesn't work out. Put flyers up in churches, veterinary offices, etc. Charge an adoption fee, i.e., vet expenses.

I had to rehome my cat Tucker because he was relentless in terrorizing my RB kitty Casey. I tried doping Casey up but also didn't like the way it made him. So Tucker went to my friends home and is the most spoiled rotten Korat on the planet.

Don't beat yourself up over this. You did the best you could. Sometimes cats get very stressed out when another comes on the scene.

Hang in there, okay??

((((hugs))))

Donna

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-09-2004, 03:58 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about poor Olivia. But like others have said, it's nothing you have done, for some reason the others just feel the need to pick on her and it sounds like she needs to be an only kitty. :(

PayItForward
01-09-2004, 04:17 PM
Kelly,

Are you keeping both Phoebe & Emma (Samson) ?

As if one or the both kittens is to be rehomed then that might be enough to calm the house.

Otherwise what about installing a cat flap though the balcony door to your outside run, again by extending the territory your cats have access to might help.

Kelly, how much of this incident was a one off or is this a permeant change of attitude. Is Olivia very upset now ?

What about ringing a cat behaviourist for a free advice ?

Keeping my fingers crossed this works out :(

catcrazylady
01-09-2004, 04:23 PM
I'm sorry, I didn't know the order in which the cats came to live with you. Perhaps isolating Noah is not the way to go. It was his home first.
Good Luck with whatever plan you come up with.

Randi
01-09-2004, 04:27 PM
Oh Kelly, I'm so sorry to hear about Olivia - she looks like such a sweet girl.

I too think it would be best to isolate Olivia and give her extra love and attention. Could it be that she's sick? Cats often pick on sick cats, don't they? Or you could try giving Noah a mild tranquilizer for a little while. That may put a stop to the attacking and things get back to normal. Just an idea.

We'll be crossing our paws and fingers for you all. :)

Felicia's Mom
01-09-2004, 08:52 PM
Sorry about your kitties. Felicia and Beau don't get along too good. I would suggest as others have; pay more attention to Noah because he was first.

That is one reason I won't have more cats. It is hard to work all day then come home and give my 2 cats the attention they want.

kimlovescats
01-09-2004, 09:40 PM
I hate that you are going through this, but I do know exactly how you feel! I have several who for whatever reason, will NOT tolerate one another. Because of this, I have to keep certain ones completely separated, and believe me, it is a BIG job! Luckily since my oldest daughter has moved out, we have a spare bedroom that has been transformed into a cat room! We keep some of the ones who need their own space in there. I am constantly trying to play swap up, to be sure that each kitty has it's free roam of the house and special attention time! I am lucky because I am home 24/7 and can do this, but even then, it is very taxing!!!

One example is that my Tucker just does not like my sweet Emma, and I can't figure out why??? :confused: SHe is so sweet, but as soon as their eyes meet, it is WAR! Poor Emma deserves her fair attention, and so if ever the right home comes along, where she can live in harmony and without fear or isolation, I will reluctantly but gladly let her go! (If that makes sense?) ;)

You can only do so much, and then you just have to make life bearable for all concerned! GOOD LUCK!

(((HUGS)))

Kitty_talker9203
01-09-2004, 09:54 PM
I have the same problem my cat cuddles hates the other cats she used to like my cat thunder but sence she had kittens she just hates her and the kittens. So i started to give Cuddles more attention. And if she still was mean to them i would flick her on the nose but i didn't like doing that so i would tell her shut up some how she knew what that ment.And well my othere kittys were mean to her to so i tryed to give cuddles her own area its getting better so far im sorry if i'm no help other wise yes try to find a family member or friend who would like a single cat. Hope things work out for you :D

NoahsMommy
01-10-2004, 11:24 AM
Thank you all so much for your suggestions, kind words and prayers. :) PT is full of truly amazing people.

We've decided that as soon as we get the new cat tree (or two) next weekend that Olivia will now be living in our bedroom while we aren't home. She much prefers it anyway and is always in there as it is. Now she'll once again be lounging in her window kitty bed and will have her own food, water and litterbox to herself.

I feel this will work out. I thing we're going to put the screen door up so she'll know she's save, while keeping the others from destroying the carpet.

As far as Phoebe and Samson...I really, really, really want to keep them. They've both stolen our hearts and I just hope things calm down so David doesn't freak out or anything...

My vet is also changing Olivia's food to Science Diet C/D for her urinary crystals she keeps getting. Having her in her own room will really help in making sure she eats that only. :)

I feel so much better. Thank you all so much for your ideas. :)

Julie Grove
01-11-2004, 09:40 AM
Hi Kelly, if this doesn't work out for you, I understand that clicker training can combat a whole load of problems with animals. It is usually used for dogs but animal behaviourists are recommending it more and more for cats, especially when there is competitiveness amongst them and they demonstrate insecurities. I guess it may be easier to implement in a one/two cat household though. There are some books on the market that may help you or you can search the internet. Good luck.