PDA

View Full Version : Adult dog eating puppy food?

My Peanuts
01-08-2004, 03:03 PM
This morning while feeding Sylvia and Harley I realized that I have been feeding them the same dry food. I knew I was, but I bought the puppy food during the holidays and I only had cash on me for the puppy bag (I thought it was more important for Sylvia to have the puppy food). He eats it and loves it, and he is only one year old, but I meant to buy his adult food before now. Is this bad for him?

Dogz
01-08-2004, 03:06 PM
I'm not too good with giving advice on Dog Health, but it makes some older dogs [that are eating puppy food] overweight. So, I think you should switch to adult dog food.

My Peanuts
01-08-2004, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Dogz
I'm not too good with giving advice on Dog Health, but it makes some older dogs [that are eating puppy food] overweight. So, I think you should switch to adult dog food.

He was on adult, but has been off of it since the holidays. He's thin and very active. Thanks for the advice.

GoldenRetrLuver
01-08-2004, 03:19 PM
Mine were both switched to adult food between one to one and a half years of age. So, I think you should think about switching them.

I've also heard that puppy food contains too many calories for adult dogs, causing them to become overweight.

binka_nugget
01-08-2004, 05:59 PM
I don't know if it's exactly bad for him but there are more calories in puppy formulas. But if he's thin and active, feeding it for the time being should be alright. I fed Kaedyn the puppy formula of chicken soup for the dog lover's soul for a few weeks. He was TINY but gained weight very nicely on the puppy formula.

wolfsoul
01-08-2004, 06:34 PM
I'm not sure I understand what you mean, but I think you mean that you are only giving it to them this once? It won't cause any helath problems if it isn't use for any prolonged amount of time. :)

Generally I don't believe in giving puppy food, even to some puppies. Too many calories; makes them grow too fast and makes their bones out of whack. That's mainly just larger dogs though, like GSD's that are large and have alot of bone/joint problems.