PDA

View Full Version : Personal request, please?

kimlovescats
01-08-2004, 05:07 AM
This is not about my cats (sorry) but it's about me....
I have had a terrible cold / sore throat, etc. for about a week now. Yesterday I woke up with pink eye in my left eye, and during the night last night my left ear was killing me!!! I took 3 Ibuprofens and laid in the bed blowing my hairdryer in my ear to try and stop the pain!!! Once the pain started to settle down I turned and laid with my left ear down on the pillow. Suddenly I got a series of very sharp and strange pains in my ear. A bit later I got up to go to the restroom and my ear was bleeding, and had bled on my pillow. It is still bleeding off an on! I think maybe my eardrum ruptured? :(

Anyway, I am going to try and see the doctor today .... please pray for my ear!!! :(

jenluckenbach
01-08-2004, 05:38 AM
Many prayers coming your way. Hopefully (and probably) it is due to the virus giving you the other cold symptoms. Let us know ASAP what you find out. {{{{HUGS}}}}

catcrazylady
01-08-2004, 05:42 AM
OH Kim! That sounds so painful. I'm so sorry that you feel so bad. Prayers are on the way for you. I hope you feel better soon and let us know what the doc says. Bless your heart!

neko1
01-08-2004, 06:12 AM
Good luck at the doctors!

Sirrahsim
01-08-2004, 06:15 AM
having been a victim of frequent ear drum ruptures in my youth (which was not so very long ago:rolleyes: ) I can sympathize with what you're going through:( it really is miserable when you have all that pressure, but didn't it feel a bit better once it finally ruptured? I hope you get well soon!!

P.S. even with my eardrums rupturing about once a month or so for a few years, I'm good as can be now. No problems with my hearing at all, hopefully your doctor will fix you right up:) Feel better and remember that kitties make the best hotwater bottles!

bisi.cat
01-08-2004, 06:53 AM
Poor Kim,
this sounds like an inflammation of the middle ear...it's very rare in adults and usually only kids have it, because their ear channels are much shorter than those of adults...
I had this before Christmas for the first time and it was horrible pain in the ear and I didn't had full hearing for at least three weeks.
If it's that you really need antibiotics and should consult a doctor...
Hope you get well soon...relax and stay in bed with the cats!!!

catlover4ever
01-08-2004, 07:02 AM
Kim, prayers are being sent right away for you. Get yourself to a doctor ot look at the ear. I can only imagine what kind of pain you are in. I hope you feel better soon. --- Meg

Killearn Kitties
01-08-2004, 07:24 AM
It sounds very much as if your eardrum has ruptured. I had the same symptoms with a bad cold a few years ago. Like bisi.cat, it was some weeks before my hearing came back on that side. I got peace once I went back to work - I couldn't hear what anyone said to me.:D It had it's advantages!

Good luck at the doctors.

Steffi N
01-08-2004, 07:56 AM
Kim, I am so sorry to hear about your ear and your nasty cold and sore throat. I hope the doctor can give you something to help. Meanwhile let your kitties administer purr therapy.
HUGS to you and hope you are feeling better soon.

K & L
01-08-2004, 08:05 AM
That's horrible! It does sound like an ear-drum problem! Good luck and hope all goes well!

catnapper
01-08-2004, 08:30 AM
Boor baby! Many prayers going out to a healthy ear! I can't imagine how you must feel! Please feel better soon.:)

rg_girlca
01-08-2004, 08:39 AM
Kim, my prayers and positive thoughts are on the way that you are able to see a doctor today and that you have a full and complete recovery from all your ailments.

Please let us know what the doctor says and I hope your pain has eased up some.

jazzcat
01-08-2004, 08:40 AM
Ouch, that sounds terrible. Hope the doc can give you some relief.

You're in my thoughts and prayers.

Felicia's Mom
01-08-2004, 08:58 AM
That sounds horrible. Prayers going out for you!

Sorry, but I can't imagine what you are going through. I don't get earaches very often and those are not very painful.

Best of luck at the doctors. Let us know how you made out.

moosmom
01-08-2004, 08:59 AM
Thoughts and prayers coming your way!!

Hang in there and let us know how you make out.

((((hugs))))
Donna

slick
01-08-2004, 09:31 AM
Kim I'm so sorry you're sick. One thing about Pet Talk is that there is never a shortage of prayers for Mommies or pets. I sure hope it's nothing serious. Please keep us updated.

ramanth
01-08-2004, 10:02 AM
Hugs and thoughts for you. :)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-08-2004, 10:13 AM
Oh no, Kim, I'm so sorry you're not feeling well. I went through many, many, many ear infections as a kid and know how painful they can be. I'm glad you're going to the doctor - finally. Seems you take better care of the kitties than you do of yourself, and yes, I'm scolding you in case you had any doubt! ;)

I sure hope the doc finds out what the problem is and you start feeling better. You need to take care of yourself because you aren't any good to all those kitties if you yourself aren't feeling good.

Take care and please let us know what the doc says. <hugs>

Randi
01-08-2004, 10:31 AM
I can imagine what you're going through. :( I had inflammation of the middle ear as a child and the pain was unbearable. I hope your doctor can find a treatment!

My thoughts are with you!

Hugs!! :)

Cataholic
01-08-2004, 12:33 PM
Oh, Kim, prayes on the way!

But, once you have the pain under control, would you mind telling me what benefit the hairdryer in the ear had???

Pickle
01-08-2004, 12:34 PM
That's sounds like exactly what my b/f had over christmas even down to the pink eye (try ordinary eye drops).

He went to the doctor and got diagnosed with an ear infection, prescribed an antibiotic ear spray (Otomize by GlaxoSmithKleine)to use for a week.

The spray did a good job and he was feeling much better after a few days of it although it took just over a week for the hearing to come back properly.

I was ill also at the same time but not with the ear infection, all the glands in my neck swelled up instead. If you have sinus congestion also, try steam. Stand in the bathroom with the shower running on hot or if you have a facial steamer use that.

Hope you are feeling better soon, poor you.

Isis_7
01-08-2004, 12:47 PM
OMG!!! I had the exact same thing recently! I was up until 3 am Sunday evening with pain in my left ear. I also had a cold and sore throat AND some sort of eye infection in my right eye!! My ear was bleeding some, but I only noticed it when I cleaned them with a Q-tip (no blood on the pillow). I called the Dr. and he prescribed me an antibiotic and decongestant. I feel much better, but my ear still feels stuffy (like there's a piece of cotton in it). Please let me know what the dr. tells you. I hope it's nothing serious!!

Uabassoon
01-08-2004, 01:07 PM
Kim I'm sorry to hear you aren't feeling well. I hope you feel better soon.

moosmom
01-08-2004, 01:19 PM
I've heard about using a hair dryer for ear problems. Please, tell us more!!

cutie_chica
01-08-2004, 01:41 PM
get better Kim!! Lots of **kittie kisses** from Princess, Tony and Patches!!!

Kirsten
01-08-2004, 01:41 PM
Oh, Kim, get well soon!

It's true, it sounds very much like an inflammation of the middle ear which came along with the cold you got, and maybe the hair dryer made it even worse. And I know it can be painful!

I wish you a speedy recovery, hopefully your doc will help you soon!

Kirsten

trayi52
01-08-2004, 02:02 PM
Kim, I hope you get to feeling better soon. When I was a kid, I used to get such terrible earaches. I never had one to bleed though, not that I can remember.

When my son was little, he would get bad earaches. His ear bled like that, scared me to death. I thought something bad had happened to him! We rushed him to the doctor and found out he had a really bad ear infection. They later took his adenoids(sp?) out. That was so long ago, my son is now 31 and going to be 32 in March.

I hope you get to feeling better soon.

kimlovescats
01-08-2004, 02:13 PM
Thanks for all the well wishes and prayers .... I'll need them over the next few days while this mess is clearing up.

As soon as the doctor looked in my ear she just gasped! :eek:
She said my eardrum is bulging badly .... so I guess it hasn't ruptured .... yet. :confused: Anyway, she prescribed a heavy duty antibiotic 3x daily for 10 days. (500mg Ceclor) Also she gave me some cough medicine that is supposed to "knock me out" .... hey, I can definitely handle that at the moment!!! :rolleyes:

Before I left her office she said, "you are a very sick lady, you don't need to be doing anything" .... so, friends, I am off the computer and into the bed, after a dose of cough medicine! ;)
I'll check in later!

Love to all!

Kim

jenluckenbach
01-08-2004, 02:15 PM
Well, hopefully when you get back here you will be feeling better. Rest well, now.

Isis_7
01-08-2004, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic
would you mind telling me what benefit the hairdryer in the ear had???

Heat relieves earaches (I did a lot of research online at 3am Monday morning when I couldn't sleep from my earache). Anyway, it is recommended to blow the hairdryer (on low setting) in the ear to relieve the pain. It does help.

Kim, I'm glad it wasn't a ruptured eardrum! Rest up!

ChrisH
01-08-2004, 02:38 PM
Poor Kim, that sound so awful. Hope the meds, and rest, do the job and you are feeling better soon.

Hugs

trayi52
01-08-2004, 02:39 PM
That hairdryer works great at times. My grandson gets earaches sometimes and when he is here with me. He knows about that hairdryer too, it would start hurting and he would go get the hairdryer and put it up to his ear and it would ease it.

I didn't know about it until a couple of years ago, when my grandson get an earache one night late, and I got somebody to keep their store open until I got there to get him something for the pain, and the lady told me to use a hairdryer on him. It worked!! My poor little grandbaby..

Kim you could take your computer to bet with you, of course that medicine putting you to sleep, might make you write some pretty strange stuff. So go to bed and rest, rest and then rest some more.

Get well soon!!

Willie:)

bizdevguy
01-08-2004, 02:42 PM
hey there--

hope your ear feels better! you turned off your personal msg thingie, so I couldn't reply to you....

Rich

catcrazylady
01-08-2004, 02:47 PM
Glad you went to see the doc! I hope the medicine helps you rest and maybe you will feel better when you wake up. Prayers for a speedy recovery!!!!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-08-2004, 03:23 PM
Rest well, and I hope that little Angel knows how to be a good nurse to her mommy. Along with all the other kitties of course. What heaven, some good medicine that knocks you out and about 15 warm bodies to lull you to sleep. ;) :D

Russian Blue
01-08-2004, 03:43 PM
Ouch! That sounds painful. I really hope the new meds will clear things up quickly, since a bulging eardrum does not sound fun!

When I was in grade one I was out of school for close to 50 days that school year because of repeat ear infections. I finally had to have surgery, but to this day I still remember the pain.

Get well soon!

PayItForward
01-08-2004, 04:35 PM
Get well soon Kim.

Hope the meds and rest help.

rg_girlca
01-08-2004, 05:56 PM
I'm glad you were able to see a doctor today.
Do as the doctors says now and get plenty of rest. I will be thinking of you. Get well soon and hope to hear from you in a few days, painfree.

Take care
Huggies

Julie Grove
01-08-2004, 06:14 PM
Kim, I do hope you're feeling better by the time you read this and that you've had lots of kittie cuddles to help you through.

Pickle
01-08-2004, 07:33 PM
Glad to hear you've got some meds sorted out. Hope you're on the road to speedy recovery now.

Karen
01-08-2004, 08:16 PM
My sister used to get ear infections all the time when we were kids. Not fun at all. She got them a lot until at age 26 she had her (very scarred) tonsils out, then it abated a lot.

When you feel like you're getting, or might have, an ear infection, gargle with warm salt water - your ear and throat are connected (via your eustachian tube) and that helps fight the germs.

NoahsMommy
01-08-2004, 08:40 PM
You poor thing!! :( That sounds like a lot of pain. :(

Sleep well and do what the doctor says...nothing! :)

Get better soon.

Miss Meow
01-08-2004, 08:58 PM
Ouch, ouch, ouch :(

Hope you are feeling a bit better today ... and can take a few days out from life to lie down, rest and recover :)

kimlovescats
01-09-2004, 07:46 PM
Thanks so much for all the prayers and well wishes! Just wanted to check in and let you know that I am still amongst the living! :D
I absolutely slept ALL DAY today, and woke up with it dark outside! :eek: Hey, but I think that is what this body needs, rest and mega antibiotics, so that is fine with me!

It's funny, each time I wake up, even briefly, I have a somewhat different "kitty crew" keeping watch over me! This is something a girl could get SPOILED on!!! :D

Hugs to all!

jenluckenbach
01-09-2004, 07:49 PM
HEY! I want to stay home and sleep with my kitties!!!!!!!!;)

But seriously, I am glad you feel improvement! :)

shais_mom
01-09-2004, 08:27 PM
Glad you are feeling better!! I have never had an ear infection I can't imagine the pain. Sounds like you had a triple whammy!! :(
Keep Sleeping!!!

Kitty_talker9203
01-09-2004, 09:38 PM
:( ouch sounds like it herts get better soon

catmandu
01-10-2004, 09:08 AM
Of course , the Cats and I are praying for you , and that your hearing is not impaired . Best wishes from the Found Cats to your Cats!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-10-2004, 05:13 PM
I'm so glad you're feeling better, Kim. Sometimes we just try and do too much when all our body needs is rest, rest, rest....and some good ol' antibiotics along the way too. ;)

krazyaboutkatz
01-10-2004, 11:05 PM
I'm sorry I missed this thread earlier :o but I've been trying to get over a cold myself.
Kim, I'm so sorry to hear that you're so sick.:( I'm glad that the meds are starting to help you. Please rest as much as possible and get well soon. Take care.

IttyBittyKitty
01-11-2004, 12:18 AM
That sounds like a yucky cold, keep getting better and hug those kitties of yours!