PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes we forget the simple joys...(Personal story)

Tonya
01-07-2004, 10:02 PM
My mom works with mentally retarded people. She works for an independent living program where they take handicap people out of hospitals and group homes and help them to live on their own.

Anyways, today, my mom brought over Ray. He's 48 years old, slightly mentally retarded, and just got his first home. He was so excited about having his own place. He kept telling me over and over all about it and his coffee pot. (He just thought it was great that he had a coffee pot.)

I asked him if he liked dogs and he said that he's never met a dog before! So, I asked my mom if I could introduce him to the dogs, or if she thought he might escalate. (That's what they call it when they flip out.) My mom said that Ray's moods are pretty stable, so it shouldn't scare him. Dusty and Roxy came inside.

Now, Ray is very difficult to understand. I only understand him after listening closely because I've been around mentally retarded people so much. And my dogs, they (bless their hearts) aren't the most obedient. You generally have to tell them several times to sit.

They obeyed Ray's every command in split second time! I couldn't believe it. Then Ray layed on the floor and just held my dogs. He was so happy to be with them it was unbelievable.

I was so touched on how wonderful my dogs made Ray feel. As well as how loving and obedient my dogs were towards him. It was just really beautiful to me how animals don't really care who you are, they love you unconditionally.

I told my mom, since she is primary care-taker of Ray, that she should really consider getting a dog for him or bringing her dogs to work. I think it would be great for Ray.

Corinna
01-07-2004, 10:53 PM
Sounds like pet therapy would help him greatly.

trayi52
01-07-2004, 11:13 PM
Tonya, that is truly amazing! I bet your mother loves working with these special people.

I have been around some of these special people myself and worked with some of the younger ones, the ones in special resourses at school, and at the high school. The oldest one I worked with was a 23 year old girl. She was wonderful and funny. I loved her, she would giggle and say she was boy crazy! I would laugh at her and tell her you better stay away from them boys.

Tonya, that would be such a good thing for these very special people, at least having dogs visit them, that would give them so much joy. I suppose there might be some that wouldn't like dogs. I had a friend that worked with the older one like your mother that actually beat her up pretty bad. But it is a very worthwhile cause.

I think your idea is a great one!

Willie

lovemyshiba
01-08-2004, 12:13 AM
What a beautiful story, Tonya.
Ray sounds like a truly special person, and it seems like he really connected with your dogs--he would probably love to have dogs around more often.
Bless your mother for working with these people--I'm sure it is very hard work.

RICHARD
01-08-2004, 01:23 AM
Sometimes I look at the crew cab Toyota Tundras.

I think I'll buy a coffee pot instead.

Thanks Tonya.

;)

Cookiebaker
01-08-2004, 02:36 AM
That is so sweet!! It's amazing how dogs can sense certain traits in people. It definitely sounds like Ray might be helped with pet therapy!!!

DoggiesAreTheBest
01-08-2004, 06:38 AM
That was a very touching story, Tonya. I am glad that Ray was able to connect with your dogs. I do believe that pet therapy is great for people like Ray. Heck, it's good for anyone!!

While I think Ray having his own dog may not be a possibility (seeing that owning a dog requires much time and responsibility), I think it would be awesome if your mom could take the dogs over to visit him and others she works with. I know it can make a difference in the quality of their life. Imagine how happy Ray must have been feeling laying there with your pups. Makes my heart smile!

Sara luvs her Tinky
01-08-2004, 07:01 AM
That story was such a blessing .. thanks for sharing it!

I bet Ray had such a good time with your pups... :) Hopefully someone can stop by his new house (:)) and let their dogs visit him every once in a while!!

Tonya
01-08-2004, 07:18 AM
I'm going by his house today with my dogs and a housewarming gift. I'm going to wrap it up all nice and fancy. He'll be so excited to show off his new house.

My mom loves her job. She's had some occasions where her clients have gotten violent, but for the most part, it is very rewarding. They are such a joy. Most of my mom's clients do not have family. My mom and her co-workers are their family.

I was also touched on Christmas eve, I made a surprise visit to Marissa's house. It was the first time I was meeting her. Marissa (25 years old) was so excited. She knew every detail about me. My middle name, my birthday, Jaden's name, Jaden's birthday, where I worked, etc... She ran into her room brought out Jaden and I necklaces that she'd been saving for us when she finally got to meet us. She told me "You are beautiful just like I always imagined." It brought tears to my eyes.

She then got on her hands and knees and started counting her Christmas presents. My mom says she counts them several times a day. Then, she ran off to the mailbox to see if any presents came there.

My mom later told me that she'd witnessed her mother put her little brother in the dryer when she was 5. She became mentally ill from the trauma, her mother is in prison for life, she has no father, and her brother died from that incident. All of her presents were from the staff. She has no family.

I'm tearing up just sharing this. It just really got to me how happy and loving Marissa was with all she had been through.

G.P.girl
01-08-2004, 08:51 AM
thats so sweet!
my cousin is 4years old , he has a mild case of downs and the sweetest little boy ever! i love him sooo much. but anyway he is just fasinated with fish. he loves it when i pick him up and let him look through the top of the aquarium and they have a sheltie puppy named pippin and pippin just LOVEs jonah (my cousin) and they will play and run around together. jonah couldn't say pippin so he named him Bob after the tomato in veggie tales:D he's so cute! he has bright red hair and the palest skin ever and he has more freckles every time i see him:D :cool:

Tonya
01-08-2004, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD
Sometimes I look at the crew cab Toyota Tundras.

I think I'll buy a coffee pot instead.

Thanks Tonya.

;)

I'm telling ya, Richard! According to Ray, a coffee pot is better then winning the lotto! There's something magical about them. lol.

G.P., Jonah sounds so precious.

RICHARD
01-08-2004, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Tonya
I'm telling ya, Richard! According to Ray, a coffee pot is better then winning the lotto! There's something magical about them. lol.

G.P., Jonah sounds so precious.

Actually I do have a coffee pot.

It's a blue enamel pot, the old kind that you put on the flame.

I belonged to my girlfriend and she used it every time we went out camping.

I have seen it once since she passed away.....I think it's time to clean out the camping equipment and have a little magic.

With some cream and sugar.;)

Cincy'sMom
01-08-2004, 09:13 PM
What a great story Tonya. It really is amazing how animals interact with all people. They certainly don't judge the way we as humans do.

I just read an excellent book with many stories of how therapy pets touch people'slives. I recommend it to everyone...

Therapy pets : the animal-human healing partnership / by Jacqueline J. Crawford & Karen A. Pomerinke

Tonya
01-08-2004, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Cincy'sMom
What a great story Tonya. It really is amazing how animals interact with all people. They certainly don't judge the way we as humans do.

I just read an excellent book with many stories of how therapy pets touch people'slives. I recommend it to everyone...

Therapy pets : the animal-human healing partnership / by Jacqueline J. Crawford & Karen A. Pomerinke

Cincy's mom...I bet you that will be the first book that I finish since my son has been born. I'm getting it tomorrow!

ramanth
01-09-2004, 08:39 AM
Tonya, those stories were so beautiful and touching. What a wonderful job your mom does. :)

Cataholic
01-09-2004, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by ramanth
What a wonderful job your mom does. :)

Truly, Tonya, with the people that she works with, AND her own daughter. :)