PDA

View Full Version : Crying when left alone

jenfer
01-07-2004, 12:37 PM
Ok, Gigi is 12 weeks old as of today. Whenever I left her in the living room alone she will start crying/whining. I usually try to be with her in the same room, but I do need to use the bathroom or something like that. And she only wants to nap on my or my sis's lap. We have a big cushion for her, but she wouldn't use it. Any suggestion on what I can do so she can be a little bit more "independent"?

aly
01-07-2004, 12:45 PM
The most important thing to do is to completely ignore her when she whines. Do not enter the room if she's whining. Wait until she's settled and quiet, then you can re-enter the room. If you go see her while she's whining, it will reward the whining and she will continue to whine whenever she wants anything.

You can also give her a stuffed kong (or another 'busy' toy) when she's alone to keep her occupied. She should only get it when she's alone so that way it will be a special treat.

jenfer
01-07-2004, 01:01 PM
Thanks for your idea. I am just afraid that she will destroy my room when she whines. ;) I will try ignoring her tonite. And I don't know why she has to cry... she has enough toys on the floor to trip me a zillion times... probably she just want attention?
I "rewarded her whining" yesterday when she whined. And what do I get? I jammed my knee on the shoe rack while trying to climb over the baby gate... got a big cut on my knee. I was the one crying. :o
Any suggestion on another busy toy?

aly
01-07-2004, 02:37 PM
http://www.bustercube.com/

Maybe try a Buster MiniCube? My friend's Dachshund LOVES these types of toys. My friend even makes them herself just by cutting a small hole in a tennis ball then filling it with treats. Her dog will push that tennis ball all over creation trying to get the treats out.