PDA

View Full Version : Scratching Furniture

K & L
01-07-2004, 11:41 AM
What do you all do, if anything, to prevent your cat from clawing your furniture? I have one cat, Bo (my favorite), who is the ONLY cat that does this. We have scratching posts, and a huge rug they’re able to use. I put double sided tape, but she goes to the areas where there isn’t any, and I use scat mats (same thing as tape, goes to areas where there’s no mats). Just curious if anyone has/had this problem and how they’re solving it.

Lallypop11
01-07-2004, 12:18 PM
I don't know, each cat is different, but when you see him scratching spray him with water to see if it scares him away from doing it again. Also, you may try putting tin foil on the couch, one of my cats is terrified of tin foil. Just a thought, good luck!

ScantyNebula
01-07-2004, 12:24 PM
I like to stomp my feet on the floor when Toby does this/and or squirt him with some water. Also, I noticed that as soon as I bought a brand new scratching post (the carpet kind that he likes) he stopped clawing the carpet. Now he claws the door siding :rolleyes: maybe he's trying to let me know he wants a wooden post ;)

Make sure you have different kinds of posts .. Lily won't even touch the carpet posts, she likes sisal rope ones. I guess every cat has their preference. Does Bo use a post at all?

K & L
01-07-2004, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by ScantyNebula
I like to stomp my feet on the floor when Toby does this/and or squirt him with some water. Also, I noticed that as soon as I bought a brand new scratching post (the carpet kind that he likes) he stopped clawing the carpet. Now he claws the door siding :rolleyes: maybe he's trying to let me know he wants a wooden post ;)

Make sure you have different kinds of posts .. Lily won't even touch the carpet posts, she likes sisal rope ones. I guess every cat has their preference. Does Bo use a post at all?

We have the sisal rope kind and she will not use it!! When I'm home I will stomp, clap my hands, or squirt her, but when I'm at work I have no way of controlling. I can't believe we have 17 cats and she's the only one that is destructive. I will try a different kind of post. She's such an angel it's really hard for me to even be mad.

Freckles
01-07-2004, 01:46 PM
This is Freckles favorite. Have you tried this?
http://home.comcast.net/~jwalborn1/wsb/media/254243/site1022.jpg

Or the flat kind?
http://home.comcast.net/~jwalborn1/wsb/media/254243/site1020.jpg

And the slope works both ways!!:D
http://home.comcast.net/~jwalborn1/wsb/media/254243/site1054.jpg

K & L
01-07-2004, 01:51 PM
No I haven't, but I sure will!! BTW, Freckles is gorgeous!!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-07-2004, 02:19 PM
When I first got Eddie (Edwina's nemesis) I bought one of the flat things like Freckles has, and he seemed to like it. I don't know if Sara continues to use one like that or not, or what he prefers now, but they do come with catnip to entice the cat to use it, and they're relatively cheap, so one like that is definitely worth a try.

jenluckenbach
01-07-2004, 02:42 PM
Sounds like a candidate for soft paws nail caps. If sh'e the only one the expense would be minimal are REALLY you can do them yourself.

K & L
01-07-2004, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach
Sounds like a candidate for soft paws nail caps. If sh'e the only one the expense would be minimal are REALLY you can do them yourself.

I've thought about those, and I know Bo would be so easy to do. I've been having to pill her daily for her other problem and I can do this with ease.