PDA

View Full Version : Allergies must MAKE cat lovers!

sirrahved
01-07-2004, 10:33 AM
I can't believe how many of us are allergic to cats... Seems to almost be a symptom of being a cat lover! Either that, or the people who are REALLY crazy about their cats come here, and you have to be REALLY crazy about them to have them while you have allergies!

jazzcat
01-07-2004, 10:42 AM
I went to an allergist two years ago and had the skin tests to find out what all I was allergic to since I had been suffering for years. Turns out the only thing I'm allergic to is cats. In fact my doctor told me since I had Ripley (only him at the time) I should keep him out of my bedroom completely. Big laugh!

Anyway, since then I've added Jazz and Scout. Scout and Ripley sleep on the bed with me every night, Scout in my arms, and Jazz either sleeps at my feet or under the bed.

I take meds to help control it but I still have bad sneezing and runny nose days - humidity make it worse and I live in the humid south.

Uniqueviking
01-07-2004, 11:06 AM
I WAS allergic (runny nose, itching eyes) when I got my first cat, Beans, 2½ years ago, but it didn't take too long before I was de-sensitized and I haven't had any problems since - I now have 4 furbabies :D

Tonya
01-07-2004, 11:43 AM
My son is allergic to cats. And he has asthma. At one point, he was having such a rough time that I thought that I was going to have to get rid of my animals. I joked with Jaden that I was going to have to rehome him since he couldn't live with my pets. lol.

I have hepafilters throughout the house. Those allergy covers on Jade's bed. I have to vacumn everything every day. And Jaden takes Cingular, Claritin, Qvar inhaler, and Albuterol inhaler on his bad days. He seems to be getting better though. I have to give him his meds less and less.

carole
01-07-2004, 01:28 PM
I developed an allergy to cats about 18 yrs ago, I have several other allergy problems as well, however after adopting our stray Ash I somewhat desensitised myself, I am still allergic, but putting myself amongst them, having them all over the house seems to have helped, I still take medication, and having the two of them has made things a bit worse, and unfortunately this year has been particularly bad in NZ for the pollens, etc, so I have been feeling pretty under the weather with my allergies, but there is no way I would give up my precious kitties, they are here to stay until my dying day.

Lexie sleeps on the end of the bed everynight, and I love that she does that, I just cannot bring myself to keep her out, I know its not the best thing to do, but I am too soft, and she is so cute, Ash is more furry and I find myself more allergic to him, although I read light coloured cats cause less allergy problems, seems to be the opposite in my case, can't always believe everything you read it seems.

We shall soldier on allergies and all, for the love of our kitties.:)

Cincy'sMom
01-07-2004, 05:29 PM
I don't have cats becuase of allergies...andnot just my own, but my husband, my dad, my FIL...too many people who spend time here. If I was the only one allergic, I would probablly deal with it :)