PDA

View Full Version : I just can't believe this - please read!!!!!

Kirsten
01-06-2004, 03:16 PM
Today, I have posted this picture of Lily in another thread:

http://www.tillyschanze.de/lily28.jpg

I just had opened the thread to reply, but left the room first to get me a coffee. I had that picture on the screen.

When I came back, I found Lily on her chair, paralized, the fur on her back standing high in the air. She was staring at the computer monitor.

First I did not think it was that picture, because I thought a cat's eye can't make a complete picture out of pixels and even if it does, the picture wouldn't make any sense to the cat. I thought maybe there was an insect behind the computer or something that got her startled.

I scrolled the picture up and down and Lily followed it with her eyes, then she kept staring at it.

I picked her up and took her to the computer, where she sniffed the picture very carefully. At this point, her tail was all "fluffy"! She then began to check the monitor from all sides, looking for the cat inside. I swear, it was very, very obvious that she could recognize there was a cat on that picture and obviously she felt threatened by it - maybe due to the open mouth in the picture.

Now... is this a normal reaction or do I have a little genius here? :lol

Kirsten

bisi.cat
01-06-2004, 03:21 PM
Lily, is so funny!!!
My sister's cat loves to watch tv especially magazines like "Animals are looking for a new home"...she's nearly hypnotized and she loves to visit those sites at the internet, too...very strange reaction...
As for watching tv, when the cat dissapears from the screen she runs to the back of the tv set to look where it is gone to...too funny!!!

Nellie couldn't ever care less...

cutie_chica
01-06-2004, 03:23 PM
lol, thats cute! Tony likes to watch TV, and also the Screensaver on our DVD player!

CatFancy33
01-06-2004, 03:24 PM
My cat Justice loves to "chase" the mouse/cursor on the monitor. Of course I have a bunch of kitty prints afterwards, but well worth the amusement!

Tonya
01-06-2004, 03:24 PM
Lol, my cats have done that with the mirror. They say they're not supposed to be able to see images like that, but I think they can.

Kirsten
01-06-2004, 03:27 PM
Ahhh, how sweet! :) Never showed mine any cats on tv, and Luna wouldn't care anyway. But they both react very much to cat voices from the computer (like this christmas song sung by cats that's been posted here).

BTW, when I had this thread up, I showed the picture to Lily again. She was sitting about two meters away, in the window sill, but immediately came to sniff the picture again. But when she discovered it's not doing any harm, she lost interest. :)

Kirsten

Kirsten
01-06-2004, 03:30 PM
CatFancy33, Lily also does that. Luna did that as a kitten, but then lost interest. When she was younger, she also loved animated gifs!

Tonya, I also heard they say that, but all these experiences prove that they can!
When my RB Katz once saw herself in a mirror, she looked for the cat behind it.

Kirsten

jazzcat
01-06-2004, 03:30 PM
That's funny.

Jazz watches cats and other animals on TV but I've never been able to get her see anything on my computer monitor.

jenluckenbach
01-06-2004, 03:35 PM
Lilly, are you afraid of yourself?!? :eek: What a silly girl. :)

Kirsten
01-06-2004, 03:51 PM
Yep! Silly Lily, as I use to call her! :)

Kirsten

catnapper
01-07-2004, 04:34 PM
Pouncer loves to play with images on the screen, though I've never seen him react to any indivdual image. Allen couldn't care less about anything to do with the computer.

I would have been runnign to get my camera to photograph that !!! Then she would have really been freeked out to see two cats fighting!:)

Pouncer says: You are such a marvelous girlie! Make sure your meowmie shows you my picture - I'd like to know what your reactin is! Meeeooooowww!

nodgeness
01-07-2004, 04:38 PM
both Bernie & Squeak love to watch TV. & Everytime Squeak came into the computer room, she'd stare hard @ our BLACK CAT Calendar.

G.P.girl
01-07-2004, 04:40 PM
lol lily...
my aunts cat loves to chase to mouse/cursor too! she also claws your hands when you're typing:rolleyes: kinda hurts after awhile, but she enjoys it;)

PayItForward
01-07-2004, 04:44 PM
Kirsten,

You need to get Lily a copy of CyberPounce (http://www.cyberpounce.com)

Debbie (Tubby & Peanuts Mom) shipped me the CD over..bless you Debbie. :D

Although several of my cats seem interested in it, Bramble insists (READ Sitting in front of the monitor until I give up..sigh) on playing with Cyber Pounce for 10 minutes before I can get on my computer.

In fact I sometimes leave my computer playing Cyber Pounce whilst I go to work, just for her...Don't tell Steve ;)

sirrahved
01-07-2004, 05:10 PM
Pickie tries to attack the screensaver all of the time.

cutie_chica
01-07-2004, 08:17 PM
Tony likes to watch the mouse, here he is when he heard that song and when I was posting about him flipping out when I played that cat singing Jingle Bells song lol.

catcrazylady
01-08-2004, 05:53 AM
Lily you are silly! Were you afraid there might just be two of you!http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/eek.gif

catlover4ever
01-08-2004, 07:09 AM
OMG that is too funny. Actually my Smokey loves to watch TV. One of his favoriate commercials over here is for a drug fro depression. All the commercial consists of is the round circle that moves around the TV screen. Smokey will actually sit there and follow the circle and he talks to the TV.....maybe he is trying to tell me something.

catmandu
01-08-2004, 09:12 AM
I will be getting a Computer , fior my home soon , and it will be intersting to see how the Cats react , especially the nosy one , JJJ3, as he has to get into everything.

ramanth
01-08-2004, 09:25 AM
Silly Lily indeed! :D

Kirsten
01-08-2004, 12:24 PM
LOL; silly Lily indeed! :D

@PayItForward: Oh, I'm sure she would love such a CyberPounce-thing! :) Does it also make cat sounds? Both Lily and Luna found the "silent night"-song very interesting! :)

@catlover4ever, he's talking to the tv? That is soooo cute! :)

@the little Pouncer-boy: she saw your picture and her heart was just MELTING!!! :)

Kirsten

Cataholic
01-08-2004, 12:31 PM
Obviously, your Lily is a GENIUS! Now, send her to me for some legal training...he he he

Kirsten
01-08-2004, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic
Obviously, your Lily is a GENIUS! Now, send her to me for some legal training...he he he

Yep, don't think that would do any harm! LOL I tell you, it's not easy having a genius at home, she's coming up with a lot of funny ideas, wants to be challenged, gets easily bored and explores everything!

Kirsten

Don Juan's mom
01-09-2004, 01:29 AM
Don Juan doesn't pay much attention to the TV, although he does watch Animal Cops with me. Once, he tried to catch Fred Astaire.

But I'm still wondering what caught his attention in an old war movie! :confused: He gazed at the soldiers (well, actors playing soldiers) in the snow, ears front and whiskers twitching.

As for the computer, he's usually on top. He likes to let his tail dangle over the part of the screen I have to see.

Liz

Kirsten
01-09-2004, 05:33 AM
He gazed at the soldiers (well, actors playing soldiers) in the snow, ears front and whiskers twitching.

That is strange! :) Was it snowing in that movie? Maybe he wanted to catch the snow flakes!

My RB Katz once loved to watch tennis. She followed the ball with her eyes. But she never cared for animals on tv.

Kirsten

Barbara
01-13-2004, 11:08 AM
Did you remember Randi's pictures from the Pet Talk meeting when Tigris was looking at Fister on the TV. They all recognize the shape of the cat but they don't recognize themselves.

Most pictures of F+T are slides. So when we looked at them with the projector and the big screen, the cats were seeing: Cats!!!

First they checked behind the screen and looked where the colleagues were until one time Filou sat there, watching the projector and the screen, his eyes going from one side to the other when he recognized that was a connection between the click of the projector and the change of the picture on the screen:D I just couldn't believe it.

Kirsten
01-14-2004, 06:41 AM
First they checked behind the screen and looked where the colleagues were until one time Filou sat there, watching the projector and the screen, his eyes going from one side to the other when he recognized that was a connection between the click of the projector and the change of the picture on the screen I just couldn't believe it.

Smart kitties! :) BTW, I have read somwehre that Abys are a very intelligent breed anyway! :)

Kirsten