PDA

View Full Version : Can you tell your cats apart from their voices?

Kirsten
01-06-2004, 12:38 PM
Well, I can, even if I don't see them!

When somebody here talks, it's most likely Lily. She has this loud voice, very demanding, sometimes complaining. But she's also making a lot of friendly sounds, like this sweet curring "rrrrrrrr"-sound.

Luna isn't much of a talker, but when she's watching birds, she's making these typical sounds (don't know how to describe them). Apart from that, she only talks when she's waiting for her food being prepared, sweet, little sounds, almost shy. :)

Kirsten

Sara luvs her Tinky
01-06-2004, 12:56 PM
ALL THE TIME!!!!

Tinky has quick squeeky type meows.. and when she is being SUPER CUTE, silent meows....

and Jupiter has long very creative meows :D

Felicia's Mom
01-06-2004, 01:01 PM
Always! Beau's meow is VERY LOUD and Felicia's is soft.

Edwina's Secretary
01-06-2004, 01:08 PM
Always! Eddie talks ALOT and has a rather high pitched "murp" while Edwina is "neee alp"!

Cheshirekatt
01-06-2004, 01:09 PM
Totally!

Amadeus has a cool trilling kind of meow...and loud!

Picasso didn't learn to meow until he was almost 5 years old and he kind of bleats.

Elvis....well poor Elvie sounds like dropped bagpipes when he's startled. lololol The hungrier he gets, the more twangy he gets. And it's always kind of monotone.

Elvira has a squeaky little meow...very quiet.

Tigerlily's is more soft and she talks like a siamese. A lot!

Six meows high pitched and her tongue sticks out when she meows!

jenluckenbach
01-06-2004, 01:12 PM
At 15, I must admit to only SOMETIMES. Bonnie.......very distinctive, low pitched and demanding. Fern...........High pitched, always hits the same note, also very demanding. Jim.....he always hits an E# ("e" sharp). Jasper has a trill on his MEOW. But many of the others can sound the same at times.

RedHedd
01-06-2004, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Sara luvs her Tinky
ALL THE TIME!!!!

Tinky has quick squeaky type meows.. and when she is being SUPER CUTE, silent meows....

and Jupiter has long very creative meows :D

LOL! sounds like my two! Mishi has the "creative" meows. Mostly loud and quite often very funny. He sometimes sounds like he's muttering something very important in Cat-O-Nese! :D

Mitzi is the quiet, sometimes silent or squeaky one, although lately in the middle of the night when she can't find me, she wakes me to her high-pitched meowling, looking for me! She has the cutest little mrrps. :)

Cataholic
01-06-2004, 01:18 PM
Always! In fact, sometimes that is the only way to tell them apart. I am still learning Monte's voice.

catlover4ever
01-06-2004, 01:30 PM
All the time.

Tigger's meow is very chripy.

Smokey is very, very whiney and loud. If you are going to give him Turkey, then he talks very fast and short wrow, wrow, wrow. If by chance Smokey is sleeping and you go upstairs to go to bed and he wakes up.....he will scream this pitiful "row, row, row" until you either say his name back to him, or he finds you.

Tucker is a angry wwwrrrraaaaoooowwww.

Mystic is very quite with just a little meow.

And then there is ABNER.....he is non-stop, he whines, he murps, he wrows, all with this little voice. I wish I could get him on tape and figure out how to get it to play here on the site....but I'm technically challenged. Any time you say anything to Abner, he always has a "smart" remark to make back to you. If you ask him if he wants to go out.....he will have a whole sentence of comments right back at ya.

catland
01-06-2004, 01:37 PM
Our meows are inversely porportional to the size of the kitty. Jan is the smallest and the loudest. You would think we're pulling out her whiskers the way she yells.... and grumbles.... and complains...

Sid had a medium, higher pitched meow and also does the meow/trill/purr thing that is so cute.

Joxer has a tiny squeak for a meow and is the loudest purrer. He can meow loudly (like if his tail gets stepped on:eek: ), but most of the time its the quiet dainty meow.

sirrahbed
01-06-2004, 01:47 PM
I voted most of the time but should really have said all the time. Dylan is the only ones who really meows and he is loud and plaintif. No doubt when he is talking! Emily has an assortment of barely audible little sounds that mean different things. The only sound Eliot ever makes is a cackle when he sees a bug and that sound is just like Emily's cackle. So, I would noy be able to tell who was cackling!!:D But, Eliot has NO meow!! He does have a loud purr and grooming slurp though.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-06-2004, 01:58 PM
Absolutely! You can't mistake Tubby's voice, and he certainly won't let you ignore it either! ;) :rolleyes: :D

Peanut, of course, has the cutest little feminine squeak. She can be demanding sometimes too, but it's still just a squeak.

Here's a little video of them, both in their demanding tones. Warning - Tubby is sorta loud so if you're at work, you might want to check your volume before playing and then adjust accordingly. ;) :D

Oh, and it seems I wasn't quick enough with the camera so when you hear Tubby, you see Peanut, and vice versa, but don't worry, you'll definitely be able to tell who's who. :rolleyes: :D

bisi.cat
01-06-2004, 02:06 PM
Oh, I can't vote on this poll...I have only one cat:(
BUT I can tell apart the snoring of Nellie and that of my husband!!!
:D :D :D

NoahsMommy
01-06-2004, 02:07 PM
Its amazing, but I can tell all 8 apart by their voices. :)

sirrahbed
01-06-2004, 02:12 PM
That video of Peanut and Tubby is SOOOO cute. Dainty little Peanut and LOUD Tubby:D :D :D

catcrazylady
01-06-2004, 02:17 PM
I had to say most of the time. Generally I have no doubts and know who is talking, BUT there has been a time or two that somebody pulled a fast one on me. Peanut Butter has such a tiny meow that I have mistaken him for his sister Stubby.
Pete will never be a doubt!!! I have never had a cat before that I couldn't stand their meow but Pete's voice just sends chills up my back!! I can't explain it but it is loud and sick sounding. I pick him up or give him what he wants just so he doesn't go on for too long!! Isn't that a terrible thing to say??? I love him to death but that meow!!! Am I a bad meowmie????

cutie_chica
01-06-2004, 02:21 PM
Tonys meow is deeper, and more "manly" lol, Princess never "meows" she "Mrrs" and Pacthes she "grrs" lol :p :D

ramanth
01-06-2004, 02:33 PM
It's easy with just two. :D Zam is more outspoken than Logan too. Zam has a very bold and demanding meow while Logan's is soft and almost shy sounding. :)

I can almost always tell my parents cats apart.... I just usually call them by the wrong name on accident same as a parent would do with a child. My name after all growing up was "Lindsay! Jennifer! Kimberly! Who ever you are!" ;) LOL!

Tonya
01-06-2004, 02:51 PM
Always! Raven has a little girly meow. Ron has a loud and demanding meow.

jazzcat
01-06-2004, 02:53 PM
Always.

Ripley has a deeper, roar type meow. Jazz has a higher pitched singing type meow and Scout hardly make a sound.

rosethecopycat
01-06-2004, 03:13 PM
My current four are very distinct.

Mr Jones: wahhhhh. (when he wants some lovin')
wowwwwowwwoowwooww (when he wants his milk taste)

Cappy (foster) maaaahhhhh...

Snowy (meezer) MacGowwwwah.... (but with phlegm tone) when he wants on the patio.
Various long plantive crys when searching for his toy. (then muffled sounds, 'cuse he's got the toy in his mouth) :p

Bella (meezer) only has two settings: OFF and SHRIEK
(she sounds like a hawk attacking or a velociraptor):eek:

ramanth
01-06-2004, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by rosethecopycat
Bella (meezer) only has two settings: OFF and SHRIEK
(she sounds like a hawk attacking or a velociraptor):eek:
I love Jurassic Park! She must too. ;) :D I think I'd wet myself if I heard that sound personally.

Kirsten
01-06-2004, 03:18 PM
Ahhh, I'd never thought so many would! :)

T&P's Mom: They sound so sweet!!! :)

Kirsten

Fuzzy317
01-06-2004, 07:51 PM
I can't tell the cats or dogs apart from their voices, but my fiancee can :)

NoahsMommy
01-07-2004, 12:42 AM
I had to go back and listen to Tubby and Peanut...they are so cute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love Tubby's "manly" meow...Peanut's sweet meow is just adorable! :) Too cute!!

catmandu
01-07-2004, 09:16 AM
JJJ3 is loud , especially when there are treats. The other Cats go meeow , But John and Rocca go Roo Roo!Sam Goes Wrrreeew. Moose The Magnificent has a loud purr , but is otherwise very quiet.Precious has a cry to her meeoowing , and Michael ahs the perfect Miaaow!Elizabeth is as loud as JJJ3 .she is a new Cat , and doesnt realize that food and love are all around.

slick
01-07-2004, 09:18 AM
OMG Debbie T & P are sooo adorable. I've saved off the file on to my hard drive for future stress relief purposes.:D :D
Speckles has a tiny little squeak while Max's meow comes from the throat and is very demanding.

sirrahved
01-07-2004, 10:14 AM
Not just by the way they talk, but the way they walk, too! I can know without even opening my eyes which of them has roused me from my slumber.

jazzcat
01-07-2004, 10:19 AM
I just listened to T&P and they're so cute!! I love Tubby's loud meow, so funny!