PDA

View Full Version : Socks has Broken her Patella

hellogymbo
01-05-2004, 07:02 PM
Hello this is my first post. My kitten, Socks, is 4.5 months old and I have received conflicting advice on what to do about her broken patella. I am looking for any personal accounts about surgery or confining of this type of injury and their outcomes. Needing lots of advice!!:confused:

thanks
hellogymbo, and socks

PayItForward
01-06-2004, 02:05 AM
I have no idea about your poll, I would go with whatever your vet recommends.

Welcome to Pet Talk :D

Get well soon Socks :)

PS. We LOVE to see photos of Socks if you have any ???

jenluckenbach
01-06-2004, 08:27 AM
Welcome, and I wish you luck in finding the answer to your decision. I have no experience to help you with your question, though.

catcrazylady
01-06-2004, 09:29 AM
Best of luck to Socks. I'm sorry but no experience here either. Maybe somebody will be able to help. Please do let us know what happens and how Socks recovers!

K & L
01-06-2004, 10:09 AM
If your cat is young enough to withstand surgery, and this was recommended by your vet, I would definitely go with that. If you cat is older and at risk with anesthesia, then I would go with the splint and confinement.

Tonya
01-06-2004, 10:12 AM
Hello, welcome to PT. I don't have any experience with this, sorry. Best wishes and keep us posted. -Tonya

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-06-2004, 10:40 AM
Ummmm....at the risk of sounding stupid....what's a Patella?

Unfortunately I have no advice either, but I do know from watching our sweet Angel here on PT that kittens adapt extremely well to any circumstance they are put in. I think Kim took Angel's splints off after just 24 hours or less, and her legs healed perfectly fine, so maybe just confinement would be the least invasive, but I believe whatever your vet recommends would probably be best.

Good luck and please let us know how Socks is doing, and pictures, pictures, picures! ;) :D

jenluckenbach
01-06-2004, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom
Ummmm....at the risk of sounding stupid....what's a Patella?

Knee cap

luckies4me
01-06-2004, 11:38 AM
Having worked at vet clinics for many years I would opt for surgery! With a kitten, confinement is going to be very hard, especially with a splint, and if there are any set backs it can take MONTHS to heal. Surgery would be less painful in the end, as well as there would be less of a recovery time. I know it may cost more, but if I were in this situation I would opt for the surgery WITH pain meds!

Welcome to Pet Talk too! :D I would love to see some pictures of Socks. :)

Felicia's Mom
01-06-2004, 12:23 PM
Do what the vet thinks is best. That's my suggestion.

rg_girlca
01-06-2004, 03:25 PM
Welcome to Pet Talk.

I'm so sorry to hear about your little Socks, but I have to agree with what the others have said and this is to do whatever your vet recommends.

Whatever the decision is, I hope and pray she has a full and complete recovery.

Please keep us posted on her situation.

jazzcat
01-06-2004, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by rg_girlca
Welcome to Pet Talk.

I'm so sorry to hear about your little Socks, but I have to agree with what the others have said and this is to do whatever your vet recommends.

Whatever the decision is, I hope and pray she has a full and complete recovery.

Please keep us posted on her situation.

I totally second all that.

luckies4me
01-06-2004, 07:10 PM
Yes and make sure to post pictures too! :D

cutie_chica
01-06-2004, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by luckies4me
Having worked at vet clinics for many years I would opt for surgery! With a kitten, confinement is going to be very hard, especially with a splint, and if there are any set backs it can take MONTHS to heal. Surgery would be less painful in the end, as well as there would be less of a recovery time. I know it may cost more, but if I were in this situation I would opt for the surgery WITH pain meds!

Welcome to Pet Talk too! :D I would love to see some pictures of Socks. :)

I would listen to Luckie she seems as if she knows what she is talk about :) Good Luck and get well SOCKS!

NoahsMommy
01-06-2004, 10:52 PM
I'd go with the surgery as well...immobilizing a kitten will be next to impossible.