PDA

View Full Version : Breast Cancer in Guinie Pigs

Aspen and Misty
01-05-2004, 06:19 PM
Is there such a thing as breast cancer in Guinie pigs? I think Mr. Wheekers (long story, he's not mine, yet) might have it. His back breast (is that even what you call it on a male, LOL) is in larged, very large, about as big as a queter and if you stood the quater on it's side probly that fat. It also is a hard lump. He seems normal, eats his veggies and pellets. He is 4 years old. Do you think this could be cancer???

Ashley

CathyBogart
01-05-2004, 07:06 PM
Mammary tumors are quite common in some small animals, so I don't see why a piggie couldn't get one. I hope he's ok!

Twisterdog
01-05-2004, 10:05 PM
Yes, any mammal can get breast cancer. Males as well as females can get it as well. Actually, my grandpa had breast cancer.

Many tumors are not cancerous, however.

My niece's male guinea pig got mastitis. Yes, even males can ... I didn't know that before. His symptoms sounded a lot like this guinea pig's.

The only way to be for sure is to take him to the vet for a checkup and examination.

http://www.provet.co.uk/Guinea%20pigs/guineapighome.htm

Daisylover
01-06-2004, 10:59 AM
Vet studies in recent years have correlated a close relationship between unspayed/unneutered animals and breast and reproductive cancers. I would take your guy to the vet....it doesn't matter if it's a human or animal cancer, it's a terribly painful way to die.

Aspen and Misty
01-06-2004, 02:31 PM
If he was mine I would be there in a heart beat! But he isn't mine. Thanx for all the help! And the link it was wonderful!!!

Ashley