PDA

View Full Version : Bunnies

pupslover
01-05-2004, 03:07 PM
Anyone own a bunny? I have 2 dogs and my neighbor has to get rid of her bunny. The bunny luvs dogs and i think my pups would be fine with it, with supervision of course...but!

I was just wondering if anyone was experienced with bunnies enough to know if I was getting into something I shouldn't. She asked if I would take the bunny, and I told her I'd let her know...

Any input? Thanks guys!

cali
01-05-2004, 03:36 PM
I have 6 dogs and a bunny they all get along just fine(just look in my siggie! lol) I say go for it!

wolfsoul
01-05-2004, 03:38 PM
Try fostering the bunny for a couple days before you make a decision. :) See how it goes.

Good luck!

CathyBogart
01-05-2004, 07:18 PM
Good idea Wolfsoul! Maybe you should take the bunny on a "trial" period of a week or so. If all works out, yay! If not, maybe you can help her find bunny another good home.

CatLover03
01-05-2004, 08:05 PM
Yes, I own a rabbit. He is 8 years old...and still going strong! rabbits are wonderful pets. My rabbit has brought me much joy. They are very gentle...depending on what kind you get. Baby is a French Angora and is very calm. If it is small, that's the best time to get one, you can get used to it (and vice-versa) and gives it a chance to get used to other animals. I say.....go for it! :)

pupslover
01-05-2004, 08:49 PM
thanks guys. we were thinking about that week period thing. i think i'll see how that goes. he's not little though, full grown. not sure how old. but thanks!

Karen
01-05-2004, 09:05 PM
I would be very careful at first, especially as I see a shepherd in your signature image! My very first best dog in the whole world was a shepherd mix, and had an incredibly high prey drive. She killed my friend's baby bunny in less than a second - pick it up, shook it once to break it's neck then immediately set it down when we screamed - all within a heartbeat's time.

Be very careful, if your dogs have any kind of prey drive/instinct.

wolfsoul
01-05-2004, 09:11 PM
Generally GSDs are wonderful with small animals, but Karen is right, herding is a modified prey drive, and if your dog has alot of herding instinct than he/she should be closely monitered with the bunny. :)

My own GSD is very well behaved with small animals. If she ever gets annoyed by them, we can just tell her to "be nice" and she will listen. :)

cali
01-05-2004, 09:57 PM
a well trained herding dogs is perfectly fine, happy has VERY strong herding instinct and she would not dream of hurting a small animals, ALL of my herding dogs have very strong instinct and they are all very gentle with the critters, Ripley(terrier) is even perfectly safe with the critters, perky(JRT) is the only dogs that is not safe with critters, I would say it all has to do with the dog, NOT the breed.

pupslover
01-06-2004, 01:24 AM
thanks for everyone's help! I took the bunny tonight and so far all is well. Suchi (the bunny, pronounced like "sushi" but "sue-chee) was a lil nervous at first. the pups were really good with him. first i held the bunny and let them sniff and lick (it was so cute). then the pups eventually got over it and laid down. the only thing that i'm still a lil freakish over, is when the bunny goes to run, the dogs wanna chase after it. i didn't let them, because i'm not sure if it's aggression, or them being playful. but i'm still to scared to find out. cause one second of aggression and i know it's over. so i guess it's one day at a time until they all get use to each other. i'll try to get some pics up soon!

thanks again guys

Daisylover
01-06-2004, 10:53 AM
At our rabbit sanctuary we hear stories ALL the time about dogs and bunnies getting along....it really does come down to the dog's personality.

We get a lot of heartbreaking stories where a dog has accidently killed a bunny while trying to play with it. Then there are the stories where the dog's natural herding/hunting instinct just "suddenly" kicks in after years of the two living peacefully together and the rabbit dies. As Karen said, it only takes a heartbeat and you can be right there and right on top of both animals and still be unable to prevent the death/injury of the rabbit.

My advice is two-fold....... NEVER leave them alone together, esp at first,as they are getting to know each other. The other is to get a puppy pen or cage and put the rabbit in there and let them get to know each other through the fencing.

Good luck. It is nice of you to save the bunny, you are to be congratulated.

tikeyas_mom
01-06-2004, 11:25 PM
what kind of dogs do you have? make sure they dont have high prey drive. have they every shown agressive behavior towards small animals befor? tell us how it goes :D

pupslover
01-06-2004, 11:44 PM
german shepherd and golden retriever

omg guys! it's going sooo well. i took some amazing pics of the bunny with the pups. nose to nose pics that will melt your heart. i can't wait to get them developed!

i will def be back to show you!

(too bad my bf is allergic to him...not sure what to do there!)

tikeyas_mom
01-06-2004, 11:45 PM
cant he take allergy pills??? like reactin lol. aww i cant wait to see pics!!! mwahaha

pupslover
01-06-2004, 11:49 PM
no medicine...we're against it. lol it's just a big scam to kill us all! just like cell phones, but we do use those lol

pupslover
01-12-2004, 02:39 PM
I promised you guys pics...so here they are! i can hardly wait they're so cute!!! lol (also see suchi in my new siggy :))

http://www.2cutepups.com/oaksuchi.jpg

http://www.2cutepups.com/oaksuchi2.jpg

http://www.2cutepups.com/oaksuchi3.jpg

http://www.2cutepups.com/oaksuchi4.jpg

Aren't they just precious together? awww! its just sooo cute to watch these two together. Oakley is soo gentle with Suchi it's amazing. He always wants to just climb right on top of bunny and protect him (and squish him!! lol)

I luv em!

Rottieluver45
01-12-2004, 05:58 PM
OMG!! How cute!! PJ and Bailey are afraid of my bunny,thelmer, b/c when she was little she was REALLY mean and she charged them multiple times, so that would never happen with them! But that`s ok!

They look adorable together!

pupslover
01-13-2004, 12:46 AM
thanks.

thats too funny. a bunny charging dogs? lol! that would be cute to see.