PDA

View Full Version : SARS: 10,000 cats killed :(

Kirsten
01-05-2004, 08:28 AM
It's been reported on German tv today that 10,000 cats have been killed in China because they are suspected to be a possible cause of SARS wich has broken out again.

These cats were supposed to be sold on markets all over the country, they have been for eating.

It's been heartbreaking to read that, but could SARS be a chance that the Chinese would stop having cats (and dogs) on their menu? I know, you shouldn't judge other cultures for their habits, but this is something that's breaking my heart for a long time now. :(

Kirsten

catmandu
01-05-2004, 09:33 AM
The thought of someone eating Cats , is odd as Cats are mostly muscle , wuth no fat , and would be very stringy. And the thought of someone eating them , is repulsive , to us.But all cultures have thier own tastes , I guess!

Corinna
01-05-2004, 10:01 AM
I Have eaten cougar and it is a lot like ham. I still have a hard time thinking of house cats as food though. I heard this this morning made me ill. But better than being kept in tiny cages ,and having no way to escape. Maybe it will help the werid foods they eat.

luckies4me
01-05-2004, 11:48 AM
Better for them to be humanely euthanized (doubt they were though) instead of on someones menu. The thought of eating ANY carvivorous animal is disgusting. It's like eating another human being! I wouldn't mind so much, if they were treated with respect, but they aren't, and that's what makes me boil!

amoore
01-05-2004, 12:16 PM
Could not ever eat a cat!:eek:

K & L
01-05-2004, 12:40 PM
I heard that, it makes me sick!

bisi.cat
01-05-2004, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by amoore
Could not ever eat a cat!:eek:

I could not ever eat any animal!!!

Kirsten, on which channel did they send this...somehow I've missed it!?

trayi52
01-05-2004, 01:09 PM
Ewwwwwe! Imagine sitting down to a big hot plate of Grover!!

No I don't want to eat cats, nor dogs on a plane or on a train. I do not want to eat them at all!

(I think Lin needs to get a new boyfriend, his name is Sam.)

Nope, as I have said before I don't want to eat my pets or anybody elses pets.

Willie

RICHARD
01-05-2004, 01:58 PM
They are actually civets......:confused:

a cat-like animal..

Main Entry: civ·et
Pronunciation: 'si-v&t
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle French civette, from Old Italian zibetto, from Arabic zabAd civet perfume
Date: 1532
1 : any of various Old World carnivorous mammals (family Viverridae) with long bodies, short legs, and a usually long tail
2 : a thick yellowish musky-odored substance found in a pouch near the sexual organs of the civet (especially genera Civettictis, Viverra, and Viverricula) and used in perfume.

luckies4me
01-05-2004, 03:27 PM
Civet cats? Huh, that's very odd considering they are a wild animal and a threatened species. I have worked with many Civets (Palm civets mostly) and Genet cats, which are very similar. They come in and out of Oregon frequently when they fall into the wrong hands, and they are illegal to own here in Oregon, but the Fish and Wildlife never wants anything to do with them. :rolleyes:

Civet cats are Beautiful animals! Imagine a long body like that of a pine martin or weasel, with short legs, big eyes, cat like ears and face (but more pointy). All adds up to cuteness overload! :D

luckies4me
01-05-2004, 03:39 PM
Ok I guess some of them are actually endangered too.

Here's a link to a pic. It's not a good one, but I am searching on google for a good pic, one that most people would associate with a Civet. I'll find a pic of a Genet cat too, since they are just as cute! :D I didn't know they ate them though. :(

http://www.stmnftsc.melb.catholic.edu.au/kidseyes/vietnamzoos/cucphuong/endangered.htm

luckies4me
01-05-2004, 03:55 PM
I HATE when people post FALSE information!!!!

In this article which I am going to link to, it gives a little information about the Civets and their link to SARS. To me, serves all those stupid people right for slaughtering these animals. They SHOULD die. What's STUPID is that the article show a pic, and when you click on it it says that Civet cats and Fishing cats are the same thing. That is BS!

http://www.wired.com/news/medtech/0,1286,58975,00.html

I cannot stand when false information about an animal is given. I hate it. :mad: :rolleyes:

Here is what REAL Civet cats look like:

http://www.bigcatrescue.org/civet.htm

Check out their whole site. Wildlife on Easy Street is a Fantastic place in Florida! If anyone lives in Florida, you should check them out. They are fantastic!:D

Kirsten
01-06-2004, 05:40 AM
@luckies4me: I'm sorry, but I've posted exactly the information that was given to us on tv. Meanwhile I found an article on the net, from the same tv station, saying that "cat" isn't really the correct name for a civet.
Thanks for the links!

@bisi.cat: It was on SAT1-Videotext yesterday, and I've found two articles (German) today on sat1.de:

http://sat1.de/nachrichten/service/g/n/A/d/P/W/p/U/Z/1/A/A/c/
http://sat1.de/nachrichten/service/g/n/E/y/5/y/v/D/l/1/1/u/M/

Kirsten

bisi.cat
01-06-2004, 06:05 AM
Thanks Kirsten for your information...I've read about it in the paper today...
I think it doesn't matter what kind of animals are killed in masses, it's still disgusting and even more because these are "wild" animals...remember this is not the first cat on their dinner plate or health stores, this country is also partly responsible for the extinction of the tiger...

It is so sad that we have a state there which population has by far outgrown the capacities of the country...kind of scary, isn't it?!

Kirsten
01-06-2004, 12:30 PM
Yes, it is... :(

And these things always make me sad, no matter if they kill cows after a bse outbreak or pigs when there's a swine fever suspect somewhere. Too much dominance of the human reace, it's heartbreaking.

Kirsten

Don Juan's mom
01-08-2004, 01:39 AM
As I understand it, scientists believe that the SARS virus is one endemic to civets that "jumped" to humans.

I was in a production of Sweeney Todd last summer. Mrs. Lovett introduces herself with a song in which she complains that she hasn't seen a customer in her pie shop for weeks, while a neighboring business uses cats in its pies. And she goes on: "Just the thought of it's enough to make you sick! And I'm telling you them pussy cats is quick..."

I suspect cats would taste of whatever they had been eating, meaning the best a diner could hope for would be tuna and a little grass.:confused:

Liz

carole
01-08-2004, 01:48 PM
Have you all seen the civet cats, they look more like a racoon or similar, not that it makes any difference, I think they are panicking, but as someone said their fate was on dinner plates, it is better that they die humanely than perhaps they way they normally would.
Yes eating cats or dogs is abhorrent to me as well, repulsive, because they have become our pets, but then so can a cow or pig,so I guess I am being somewhat hypocritical here.:(

Kirsten
01-08-2004, 01:55 PM
I know what you mean, even though I don't eat meat at all, I still feel hypocritical because I - for example - wear leather shoes. And - of course - I'm buying cat food which is made of meat.

Kirsten

weeze
01-08-2004, 03:08 PM
Not only are they being slaughtered needlessly, they're being slaughtered inhumanely-- by boiling or electrocution. Its pretty disgusting.