PDA

View Full Version : Animals / Cancer

Hoozdat
01-04-2004, 11:57 AM
I have been a part of Relay for life for the past 2 years.
The main reason I became a part of Relay for Life was that my cat Nubby died of cancer.

Recently my cat Monkey died of cancer. And again I was a part of Relay for life. I have also had human family members die of cancer as well.

For those of you not familiar with RLFL. It is a fund raiser to find a cure for cancer in HUMANS. You walk 24hrs about a 1hr each person or 1/2hr. around a track all 24hrs.

You also have Luminaria bags of people who have lost someone to cancer, they decorate the bag with a picture of their loved one and a word or two has a candle that is lit and will light the way as you walk at night. It is breath taking and touching to read each and every one as you walk the relay.

I have done this only for 2 years and have notice that in the 2 years the Luminaira bags have grown with more animals lost to cancer. American Cancer Society raises millions of dollars throughout the USA to fight the cure for cancer with this Relay.

I have mentioned to many people that I would love to have something very similar for animals. Raise money to find the cure for cancer in ANIMALS. It hurts me to see all these animals lost to cancer at this really when I know the donation for the Luminaria will not go toward finding a cure for them.

I believe UC Davis is working on a cure for cancer in animals. That would be one place to raise money for maybe? There are only 8 Oncologist for animails in the United States. It took me 3 weeks to see one in our location and Monkey didnt have that much time.

Anyone know of such a fund raiser? I would love to see this happen every year like American Cancer Society "Relay for Life"

P.S.

God Bless my Nubby Nu & Monkey friend (Cancer took them from me)

Albea
01-04-2004, 01:21 PM
I don't know of any specific fund raiser for animals like Relay for Life, but Tufts School of Veterinary Medicine in North Grafton, MA, has an oncology research center and I send donations to them every year. My first Golden also died of cancer.
I'm sorry you lost your furry friends to that dreadful disease.

amoore
01-04-2004, 06:27 PM
I don't know of anything like that. Sorry for anyones loss of a pet or human to cancer.

I also lost a cat to cancer. It was an awful death. Pudding was a great loss. :(