PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas for games,toys ect.

Byakko's Mom
01-04-2004, 05:14 AM
I have a friend who is looking for ideas for her cat.See her furbaby is blind and deaf so it is difficult and bordom does happen.Of course petting is loved.The sense of smell and touch and taste are still there so we are trying to think of things to do and toys that involve those sense to keep him occupied during the day some.He gets around well as he knows his surroundings and does very well but does get bored.He likes to go out for walks on warm ,sunny days,of course on his harness and leash with Mommy but more ideas are needed and would be greatly appreciated.Does anyone have any?Thanks so much.
Laurie

jenluckenbach
01-04-2004, 06:55 AM
I guess my best suggestion is catnip.

smokey the elder
01-04-2004, 07:22 AM
Maybe a toy that thumps on the ground, the cat can feel vibrations through her paws.

PayItForward
01-04-2004, 07:39 AM
What about running a string over the cats paws very slowly, one of our local shelters had a blind cat and he would still go for a slow moving string, if he could feel it.

Or your friend could use a feather to slowly tease him to play.

I did see a site who had build her blind cat an outside cat shelter, he loved the feel of the wind on his fur and would play with it... cute.

RedHedd
01-04-2004, 11:16 AM
Not having experience with a blind cat I can't say for sure, but catnip would be a good idea; also those crackly mats, tunnels, etc. that crackle when the cat sits or lays on it. "marinating" furry mice in catnip might work too. I'm just guessing here ..... HTH

Byakko's Mom
01-04-2004, 03:14 PM
These are all great suggestions.Thank you so much.I know it is hard since he is blind and deaf but I will pass everything on to her.Thanks again.Any an all are appreciated.
Laurie

cutie_chica
01-12-2004, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by PayItForward

I did see a site who had build her blind cat an outside cat shelter, he loved the feel of the wind on his fur and would play with it... cute.

thats so cute, But I think catnip would be fun!!

AvaJoy
01-18-2004, 09:37 PM
My suggestion is to dangle a teaser toy so that it touches the sensitive whiskers, and maybe that would provoke a playful swat or two!

spunkymeow
01-19-2004, 07:19 PM
oh my goodness. That's so sad. How did he become blind and deaf? If you dont mind me asking...

How about one of those poles with feathers at the end. My cats LOVE that thing.

Byakko's Mom
01-20-2004, 01:14 PM
He has diabetes and is older and was at the humane society in horrible shape when she adopted him.The diabetes had been untreated so long he had cataracts and he needed fluids for days when she got him.Needless to say he needed alot when she got him in July 2003 and now he is a very happy cat but getting a little bored at times because his hearing has gotten worse.She didn't know everything when she got him but she wanted to give him a good life for as long as he had.His diabetes is doing pretty well and he has a good life now.He loves to cuddle on his moms shoulder.So he was one lucky Kitty.He was also very underweight but not anymore.
Laurie

AvaJoy
01-20-2004, 06:50 PM
It warms my heart when I hear of an older cat being selected to enjoy a loving and deserving home . . . so often they are passed by in favor of the kittens. :( :mad:

Older cats make such wonderful companions . . . if only more people would give them the chance to show their immense appreciation, they would be rewarded tenfold, as I have. :)