PDA

View Full Version : tikeya being a butt

tikeyas_mom
01-03-2004, 10:35 PM
she wont let me brush out her mats. ugh..

her undercoat wasnt fully brushed out in the summer and now it is thick and clumpy..

She wont let me brush it out. i am using a rake brush and she SCREAMS as loud as she can, and the runs away yelping.. :rolleyes: i dont ever hurt her, she is such a butt, i am not even pulling i am gentely tugging at the tipps to the bottom, tip to bottom, tip to bottom.. ugh

what should i do to make this easier??

common all you groomers.

wolf_Q
01-03-2004, 10:59 PM
Ahh, so she's being a typical husky. ;) I bet 95% of all the huskies and malamutes that I've groomed have been like that. They like to scream as loudly as possible. Most are especially touchy around their hind end/tail and feet. Nebo is very good about it, but he's also very used to it.

I'd just take it slowly and maybe reward her with treats and praise if she calms down. Maybe have somebody else help hold her and distract her. You could try buying a dematting rake or comb that would help with getting the matts out easier and faster. Some have a razored edge that really cuts through them.

Moose
01-03-2004, 11:02 PM
I have no tips here, sorry...but I just wanted to pop in and tell Amy how much I love her new sig! :D

tikeyas_mom
01-03-2004, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by wolf_Q
Ahh, so she's being a typical husky. ;) I bet 95% of all the huskies and malamutes that I've groomed have been like that. They like to scream as loudly as possible. Most are especially touchy around their hind end/tail and feet. Nebo is very good about it, but he's also very used to it.

I'd just take it slowly and maybe reward her with treats and praise if she calms down. Maybe have somebody else help hold her and distract her. You could try buying a dematting rake or comb that would help with getting the matts out easier and faster. Some have a razored edge that really cuts through them.

lol. i got your card by the way ;)... it was cute :p... anyways back to the point... Tikeya is such a whiner. ugh She doesnt like treats.. she hates dog treats :rolleyes:. she wont eat anything inless oscar does and even then she might not eat it :rolleyes:.. i am thinking of taking her into a groomer, should i ?????

wolf_Q
01-03-2004, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by Moose
I have no tips here, sorry...but I just wanted to pop in and tell Amy how much I love her new sig! :D

Thanks! :D

lol. i got your card by the way ... it was cute ... anyways back to the point... Tikeya is such a whiner. ugh She doesnt like treats.. she hates dog treats . she wont eat anything inless oscar does and even then she might not eat it .. i am thinking of taking her into a groomer, should i ?????

Glad you liked it. :) Yours was really funny! Honestly I think trying a groomer would be a good idea. They have high pressure dryers that could just blow most of that stuck in undercoat out and would most likely have an easier time getting out those matts.

tikeyas_mom
01-03-2004, 11:12 PM
how much does your work charge?? i just want an idea. :)>. how long does a grooming session take ?? i love your sig it is so cute
you should make me one, one day of tikeya :p

wolf_Q
01-03-2004, 11:18 PM
We charge $33 for a siberian husky. Sometimes there's a charge for matting too if it's too bad ($5-$10). But grooming rates vary greatly. We usually allow 2 hours for a grooming session, but sometimes it takes 3-5 depending on the dog and how long they take to dry. Thanks about my sig, I'll make you one if you want, but mine aren't nearly as exciting as most that others make lol.

tikeyas_mom
01-03-2004, 11:41 PM
ok thanks for the info amy :). i pmed you :p

GoldenRetrLuver
01-04-2004, 12:04 AM
Yep, Molly's like that too. She HATES to be brushed with the undercoat rake or dematting rake, and whines about it.
I usually have my mom or someone hold her, while I do the brushing. We'll even give her treats sometimes.

dukedogsmom
01-04-2004, 02:16 AM
Go to the grocery store and get this spray in conditioner called Infusium. It gets tangles out really easilly. Or, you can go to the feed store and get Show Sheen. That's more expensive and it does the same thing. Just wet her belly down pretty good with it and the knots should come out a lot easier.

Shelteez2
01-04-2004, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by wolf_Q
We charge $33 for a siberian husky. Sometimes there's a charge for matting too if it's too bad ($5-$10). But grooming rates vary greatly. We usually allow 2 hours for a grooming session, but sometimes it takes 3-5 depending on the dog and how long they take to dry.

I just wanted to remind you that those price quotes would be in US dollars. So her $33 would be approx $43.25 and then $6.50-$13.00 for dematting in Canadian funds.

And actually that still seems low to me. Where I work we would charge about $50.00 for a husky in good shape.

Just something to think about :)

wolf_Q
01-04-2004, 02:29 AM
Yeah, our prices are low, but it's comparable to the area...near bigger cities the prices are considerably higher. I have no clue how to convert US dollars to Canadian, so that's a better estimate.

Go to the grocery store and get this spray in conditioner called Infusium. It gets tangles out really easilly. Or, you can go to the feed store and get Show Sheen. That's more expensive and it does the same thing. Just wet her belly down pretty good with it and the knots should come out a lot easier.

I have a conditioner type spray called "The Stuff." It's a great product! I've ordered it from the Pet Edge catalog, I'm not sure where else it's available.