PDA

View Full Version : My team of misfits ROCKS!!

Glacier
01-03-2004, 07:56 PM
I know no one else here runs a dog team, but I am so bloody proud of my mutts that I have to post this...

I was talking with another musher a couple weeks ago about when a run becomes a RUN and a team becomes a TEAM--everything clicks and they run in perfect harmony...Today I took out a six dog team--four shelter dogs, one alpha male and a musher cast-off dog. We ended up doing 25 kilometres, the last 7 or so on a very busy trail that I normally avoid like the plague. We passed FOUR other dog teams--all mushers I know who are highly competitive--run the Yukon Quest and make a living with their dogs. These guys were not just out with their dogs, they were training and they get testy with dogs getting in their way.

I dread head on passes. They can be a nasty mess. All four today were FLAWLESS!! My dogs acted like they were used to running with other teams--no hesitation, no tangles, no snarls, no trouble from the other mushers.

My team of rejected, cast off dogs--dogs no one else wanted to deal with--acted like real sled dogs. And today they were--who cares that they don't match up in size, that they have issues when they aren't in harness--they were a TEAM in every sense of the word today. For just over two hours today, we ran our own Iditarod and we ROCKED!!!

Cinder & Smoke
01-03-2004, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Glacier
My team of rejected, cast off dogs --
dogs no one else wanted to deal with --
acted like real sled dogs.

And today they were --
they were a TEAM in every sense of the word today.

For just over two hours today,
we ran our own Iditarod and we ROCKED!!!

:) - :D

Sounds like a Pretty *PROUD* Parent talkin!!

Way To Go ~ *TEAM* !!

Shelteez2
01-03-2004, 08:15 PM
What better thanks could your dogs give you than this.
Thanks for giving them a chance, thanks for working through their issues and baggage.

I think you are right to be proud. Their moment as a real team relfects all the love you've poured into them. Way to go!!!

Here's to many more "team" moments. :)

joycenalex
01-03-2004, 08:32 PM
GO TEAM GO!!!! GOOD ON YOU!

KYS
01-03-2004, 09:01 PM
Congratulations and how proud you must be.
I think that is pretty exciting. :)

Tonya
01-03-2004, 09:02 PM
I am sooooo Happy For You! I envy what you get to do! That is so cool! You have my life dream!

Dixie Belle
01-03-2004, 09:28 PM
WAY TO GO TEAM!!! KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!

mugsy
01-03-2004, 09:33 PM
Goes to show you what a team of "misfits" with heart can do!!

Way to go guys (and girls)!!!! Keep making Mom proud.

K9soul
01-03-2004, 09:34 PM
Wow, I could feel my heart pounding and the goose bumps coming on just reading your story! What an incredible feeling it must have been! You must have been just overwhelmed with love and pride in your wonderful team. What a sense of pure freedom, I can only just try to imagine.

Thank you for sharing that. It truly made me feel at least a bit of what it must have been like.

Moose
01-03-2004, 10:09 PM
Congrats, you deserve to be proud! :D