PDA

View Full Version : Changing Dog Foods

bardolino
01-03-2004, 07:24 PM
I am trying to make a change in Merlin's dog food to the Chicken Soup for the Dog lovers soul. The problem is that he eats only that food now but suffers from Diarrhea. He is able to pick out that food from the mixed dry of ProPlan and CSFTDLS. I have taken him out at leat 10 time today where he expelled very soft stools. Has anyone else had this problem and if so how long did it last? Should I change back to proplan only?

PS We are fostering Merlin's sister. She is headed to West Palm Florida tomorrow to live with my Brother in Laws family. She will have a great home down there. Hildee is on the right. We will miss her.

http://reichardracing.com/images/Hildee.JPG

stacwase
01-04-2004, 10:39 AM
Sometimes dogs do get a little loose stool when you change their foods. It shouldn't last more than a few days. If it's REAL diarrhea (ie going several times a day and loosing a lot of water) then you need to do something about it because that can cause dehydration. If it's just a couple of loose stools a day, keep an eye on him and it should go away on its own. Make sure your dog has lots of water.

bardolino
01-04-2004, 06:41 PM
He seems to be doing a bit better tonight. I am still waiting for him to go to the bathroom to confirm. It has been 4 hours since he ate and he is still holding it so he must be getting better. When he wakes up I will take him out and see what happens.

Thanks for the response.

tikeyas_mom
01-04-2004, 08:54 PM
i just changed tikeyas, oscars, and babys food rescently. they are now on summit dog food, made in alberta BC Canada. They were on Chicken soup for the doglovers soul.

when changing dog foods the best way to limit chance of gas and Diarrhea is to mix the foods for about a week befor changing to the new food. Chicken soup for the doglovers soul has alot of protien so make sure you walk Merlin and his sister often, to limit chance of obesity. also make sure to change the food slowly, maybe take only few chicken soup kibbles and mix it first and then later on add more.

hope i helped :D..

by the way the pups are super cute. my lil brother is in love with merlins sister :D