PDA

View Full Version : need some advice with Tinky....

Sara luvs her Tinky
01-03-2004, 09:43 AM
She is really pushing my last nerve!!

We had to take the Christmas tree down ... and we brought the boxes out of the garage.. (I guess it smelled like Macy and the babies)..

so Tinky starts freaking out.. wich is understandable...

but it has been THREE DAYS... and she will act fine for a while.. she even let Jupiter wash her face last night... but then she'll spaz and run around screaming if Jupiter walks in the room and she has her back turned... and if I pick her up she is fine... but the moment she lays eyes on Jupiter she freaks... and runs under the table screaming. I KNOW... the smell from the boxes is gone.. I wish I could make her quit actin so silly.!!!!

Jupiter is such a kind soul... and you can tell he is really confused.

Her queen C .. cattitude is getting old... I wish there was some way I could sit her down and tell her that this is MY house and I will have a trillion cats over here if I want too...:mad:

I have sprayed feliway just about everywhere.. and nothing seems to help... is there anybody who knows what I can do to get her to CHILL OUT... I can't keep doing this everytime I have to bring something in out of the garage.

PayItForward
01-03-2004, 10:19 AM
To help relations between your cats, I have hear dabbing the back of each cats neck with vanille essence helps.

This makes each cat smell the same and helps them relax. Though I would check this out with your vet first, as I haven't tried this advice myself.

Something else to bear in mind, Inside only cats are more protective of their territory as it is limited to their house.

My cats are more easy going as they also have outside space to play in, now I am not suggest you throw out your cats outside. ;)

But if they had access to a safe outside run and/or you took them for walks on leases, they will become less insecure about changes in their home, like baby kittens in the garage.

If you have the space/money it might be worth a go.

PS. Please may we have more Jupiter & Tinky, Macy & baby photos, we haven't seen enough of them :D

jenluckenbach
01-04-2004, 07:14 AM
How long did it take Tinky to get re-used to Jupiter the time he came back from your sister's?

I have found that with my cats (the ones that get traumatized the easiest) that each time they go through the trama, the recovery time lessens. Meaning, in your case, that each time Tinky acts crazy over strange cats' smells, her recovery time should be sooner. Hopefully.

The vanilla might work to confuse her into not recognizing that the odors are foreign. I have not tried it, though, so I do not know if it works or not.

Cataholic
01-04-2004, 07:31 AM
Sara,
Do you know for CERTAIN what is causing Tinky this anxiety? Is she always like this with every new thing that comes in/goes? Are you spending enough time with her to help bolster her confidence? Is there any chance there might be a medical problem? Can you reacclimate the kitties to one another, with feliway, and the other thing, I can't remember its name? Have you tried cat nip? Any other calming remedy?

I have seven cats, and I can't say that any of them act like Tinky except maybe Allie. Things are normally fine, but, she will get hissy for no apparent reason, and most of the time with her own brother, Dakky! These two have NEVER been separated (well, except for their sir juries 2.5 years ago..).

Please remember that your stress, and anxiety will transport to Tinky. Maybe when she acts up you can try confining her to a small room, maybe the bath, to let her feel secure again?

good luck.

Sara luvs her Tinky
01-05-2004, 05:38 AM
How long did it take Tinky to get re-used to Jupiter the time he came back from your sister's?

about 3 days

Do you know for CERTAIN what is causing Tinky this anxiety? Is she always like this with every new thing that comes in/goes? Are you spending enough time with her to help bolster her confidence?

It was the christmas boxes... she was fine till I brought them in and she was sniffing them... then when she saw Jupiter she flipped out.... it is not just anything new that comes in.. cause (she is my bag lady ;)) and sits in every box and bag that comes in.... she used to get real upset when any stray cat would come by and sit on the back patio.. but for some reason since Macy started coming around and sitting by the front door, stuff like that does'nt bother her any more.

She is doing better now.. but still growling and hissing at him at odd times and places...

I keep cuddling her in some mommy/tinky time to let her know that I love her ... but I am having to give Jupiter some special time too.. cause he looks so confused when Tinky starts acting like that...

I don't know why she has such a strong will to be Alpha cat... it is not like she experiences any competition.. Jupiter is the kindest most polite kitty I have ever met.

Thanks you guys for your advice!!

Sara luvs her Tinky
01-06-2004, 07:45 PM
BUMP :)

Tinky is still being a little turd if I am holding her and Jupiter is in the same room.. and if they are near the food together.

This seems kind of odd to me.. she never gave a flip about him anytime anywhere before.. why these certain things??!?!?

catmandu
01-07-2004, 09:40 AM
Cats are ood that way , that they dont like things moved, I moved the Cat Tree , and they all yowled until I put it back. I hope that Jupiter is her old self soon!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-07-2004, 10:28 AM
Unfortunately I don' thave much advice - never had this problem - but have you tried the vanilla thing? Put a dab of vanilla on the nape of each of their necks. They will then smell the same and maybe Tinky will get over it. Also, you might want to put some vanilla at the entrance to the garage. It could be that she is continually smelling Macy and the babies and that's what's causing her testiness. Good luck! :)

Lallypop11
01-07-2004, 12:30 PM
The only thing I can think is give her some catnip, it relaxes my cats so much they are practically in a trance, it might help with her being so high strung lately. Just an idea.

jenluckenbach
01-08-2004, 03:14 PM
the vanilla trick (http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30582)

Did you try it yet?

catland
01-08-2004, 04:13 PM
You sound like you could be describing a typical day in my house with Jan and Joxer. She can be so mean and jealous. Sometimes my husband will give her "snuggle" therapy by putting on a jacket and unzipping it halfway and sticking her in the jacket - she looks like a little baby kangaroo this way...

This can calm her down.

We also feed "the princess" in a separate room away from the boys and this helps too.

I just don't know what it is sometimes with girl kitties and their dispositions.

I might try that vanilla thing myself and see how it works.