PDA

View Full Version : A friendly reminder

Karen
01-02-2004, 09:41 PM
A friendly reminder to newbies and oldies alike:

Please remember to type words all the way out, rather than using a lot of abbreviations, like u instead of you, ppl instead of people and things like that. It also is helpful if you use capitalization and punctuation properly.

This is a site with people of all ages, and from all over the world, and so not everyone grew up speaking English. It is only polite to make things as readable as possible for everyone.

We are all here because we loooove our pets - and sometimes that is all we have in common! :)

Amber
01-02-2004, 09:53 PM
I agree Karen! I can't stand when people will write out in slang, But it's okay, for aim, and such. :)

RubyMutt
01-02-2004, 10:35 PM
I couldn't agree more! :D Thanks for bringing that up, Karen :)

Moose
01-02-2004, 11:50 PM
Oh, Karen...I love you! lol. That is one of my biggest pet peeves...ay. :rolleyes::p

Is it really that hard to type out a "y" and an "o?" :p:D

Tweety_Pie
01-03-2004, 12:06 AM
I agree....although it doesn't bother me, it's still a good idea.

does that mean instead of writing *example* PTers we should write Pet Talkers?

Or pics- pictures?

wolfsoul
01-03-2004, 12:10 AM
Writing in slang doesn't bother me to an extent, but what really gets on my nerves is when people use run-on sentences. Like "I went on a walk I saw a dog and it was cute he was so nice he gave kisses and didn't even bark I wish I had a dog like that boy that'd be cool." I can't tell where something ends and something starts, and it's extremely confusing for me to read. :o

GoldenRetrLuver
01-03-2004, 12:14 AM
Thank you Karen! It can get on my nerves too. :o

gini
01-03-2004, 01:25 AM
Thank u 4 reminding us how 2 write.

Sorry, Karen, I just couldn't resist!

Seriously, thanks for the reminder. It is a good practice for everyone to write well - most situations in life require it.

bluekat
01-03-2004, 10:24 AM
Thanks for bringing this up Karen! This is one of my biggest pet peeves too, it just annoys me a lot.:p

PayItForward
01-03-2004, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Tweety_Pie

Or pics- pictures?
I think PT for Pet Talk is regularly used but you need to remember new people may feel left out is they don't understand some phrases.

Personally I wouldn't use the phrase pics ...pictures isn't hard to spell ;) I'm a very poor speller.

Karen
01-03-2004, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Tweety_Pie

Or pics- pictures?

Right!

Mario9012
01-03-2004, 12:52 PM
I don't like it when I see "internet slang" on boards. It gets on my nerves.

mugsy
01-03-2004, 12:54 PM
I guess it's the teacher in me, but, most of the slang makes me nuts too. Thanks Karen and Paul. You guys are the best!

Dogz
01-03-2004, 01:35 PM
Thank you for brining this up, Karen. The internet slang can get on my nerves too, although I do like typing -pics-.:D

G.P.girl
01-03-2004, 03:25 PM
i'm a very bad typer adn i have a bad habit of abbreiviating my words(and misspelling them:rolleyes: ) but i think abbrevitating is different than slang, using u instead of you is slang. pics instead of pictures is abbreviating(sp?)<--is that bad to? thanks for reminding us

Karen
01-03-2004, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by G.P.girl
i'm a very bad typer adn i have a bad habit of abbreiviating my words(and misspelling them:rolleyes: ) but i think abbrevitating is different than slang, using u instead of you is slang. pics instead of pictures is abbreviating(sp?)<--is that bad to? thanks for reminding us

Abbreviating is different from slang, but both can make your posts difficult for others to read. If you have difficulty spelling, one thing that some people do is type their posts into Word, spell check it, then copy and paste into the posting dialog box.

Learning to type better will help in all your future schooling, trust me!

mugsy
01-03-2004, 04:54 PM
GP....I totally agree with Karen. Maybe you could work on your typing here and it will help you at school. Good idea about using Word and then copying and pasting. They not only do spell check, but grammar check as well...although I speak from experience that the grammar check is not that impressive. I try to type worksheets and I spend more time correcting their corrections than I do typing the worksheet! lol

G.P.girl
01-03-2004, 05:13 PM
well i'm taking a typing class in school...but i'm just naturally a bad speller:o but i try:D

Moose
01-03-2004, 10:19 PM
Great idea to type posts in Word and do spell check and whatnot, Karen. :) When words are spelled correctly, it can make a post a lot easier to understand...and helps people read through them a little smoother instead of having to stop and figure out what word someone is trying to spell. :)

Twisterdog
01-04-2004, 12:12 AM
*does a happy dance all around the room*

I am SO happy to see this thread. THANK YOU, Karen!

This definately needed to be said!

G.P.girl
01-04-2004, 02:23 AM
does that mean i can't say lol and stuff and rotfl?

micki76
01-04-2004, 11:14 AM

I certainly hope not! That'd be a little to strict for a message board. :)

Moose
01-04-2004, 06:29 PM
No lols? Psh...if this is a no-no, I'm gonna have some trouble. ;):p

Karen
01-04-2004, 06:48 PM

No, you can use those, but ocaisionally, someone should post an explanation after they use one, like rotfl (rolling on the floor laughing), etc. Just to initiate new people to the parlance, you understand!

Moose
01-04-2004, 07:12 PM
Got it, thanks for clearing it up Karen. :p

Hmm...so that's what rotfl means? I never knew that...lol. :o

GoldenRetrLuver
01-04-2004, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Moose
Hmm...so that's what rotfl means? I never knew that...lol. :o

See Brooke? You learn something new everyday. ;)

Moose
01-04-2004, 09:47 PM
...and it's a good thing I learned that. :p

Truffles
01-05-2004, 11:18 AM
hey,

i do agree about this,but there is one thing i need to say.see i have epilepsy as you may know and i also have deslexia.anyway i'll try my real best to spell things good to understand.

but if i don't then i'm so sorry see right after a seizure or a few days after even i spell things weirdly and don't realize it till after i recooperated from the seizure if you see something like this (i loovee myy dogg sso muchh)then you will know that i had just had a seizure:rolleyes: also my hands can get shakey at times and t sometimes spell terriblely

and i notice that as i grow i type real bad and usually i eidit it to make it more readable <<<<<<<if thats a word LOL:p but sometimes i forget to edit it my memory is awful but i'll cerntly give spelling corectly a try but please understand w/ deslexia and epilepsy in my life i can't make it perfect ok????????

one other thing we can try and do is break our posts into small paragraphs cause i know some people have a hard time reading posts that are all in real long paragraphs.

i am one of them if i see a post that is real long and not broken into small paragraphs then i can't make since out of them aand i just don't read it cause its too hard to understand.

anyway i'll try my best thanks for understanding,take care :)

marylyn

HoRsELUvR
01-05-2004, 02:20 PM
I dont even know the meanings of a lot of internet slang even though all my friends do, so it bugs me when people type stuff like that because i dont know what they're saying.

Karen
01-05-2004, 07:25 PM
Truffles, all we ask is that you try! If you want, I could fix some spelling mistakes for you, just let me know - I know some dyslexic folk, and know that no amount of trying can make up for it entirely.

I dont even know the meanings of a lot of internet slang even though all my friends do,
so it bugs me when people type stuff like that because i dont know what they're saying.

What would you like defined?

Twisterdog
01-05-2004, 10:19 PM
Horseluvr ... Here you go:

http://emoticonuniverse.com/slang/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_slang
http://www.blackchampagne.com/slang.shtml

G.P.girl
01-05-2004, 10:33 PM
Geez! I didn't know half of those slang terms!:rolleyes:

Hoozdat
01-05-2004, 11:02 PM
You mentioned to me that you had a spell check I can not find it?

Karen
01-05-2004, 11:08 PM
There's no spell check as part of this software, what some people do is type it in in Word, spell check it there, then copy and paste it into the "post" box here.

micki76
01-05-2004, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Karen
There's no spell check as part of this software, what some people do is type it in in Word, spell check it there, then copy and paste it into the "post" box here.

I try to do that with every post. It does allow odd words and phrases, though. :)

Kater
01-06-2004, 01:41 AM

Or you could also use http://www.spellcheck.net ! :D

Hoozdat
01-06-2004, 10:29 AM
That's what I try to do when I can't spell big words....lol :p

cutie_chica
01-06-2004, 05:48 PM
It's hard for people sometimes, because they are so used to using slang in e-mails and AIM etc. But really, I'm bad for it, and I know I have to stop. Because it starts to affect your typing skills for other things also. Term papers, online job applactions etc. Thanks for bringing this up!

RedHedd
01-07-2004, 04:03 PM
Thank you for this gentle reminder. Some days I stare at the screen and try to figure out what exactly the person is trying to say. The spell check website is terrific! Thanks for posting that link. There are also free web browser "plug ins" that can help with spell checking in a pinch, although the idea of using Word is also a good one. Anyway, thanks again for the good tip. It's good practice for the "real" world! :)

CatLover03
01-10-2004, 07:01 PM
Thanks for that. I agree. Sometimes it can get confusing for those who don't understand us. It's ok for Instant Messaging, but that's something different.

Kirsten
01-14-2004, 11:58 AM
Oh... oops, sorry, I know, I'm doing that sometimes ("pix" for example or "LOL")

I'll try to be better from now on! :)

Kirsten

Randi
01-14-2004, 12:53 PM
Kirsten, I'm not sure, but I don't think Karen would include"pics", as I believe everyone know what that means. :D

Still, there are a few abbrevations I don't know, but mostly I can understand the meaning anyway - or guess the meaning. :)

However, it's always a good idea to make an effort, concerning spelling. The REAL world demand it!

When I first joined, I couldn't understand much of what Cinder & Smoke wrote, but I do now, and I think it's very entertaining! :D

Nomilynn
01-14-2004, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Randi
When I first joined, I couldn't understand much of what Cinder & Smoke wrote, but I do now, and I think it's very entertaining! :D

I actually find it VERY difficult to read, even after all the time I've been here, and often skip it because of that :o :o :o

aly
01-14-2004, 10:57 PM
I agree with Karen that the important thing is you TRY your hardest to use proper spelling/grammar/etc. Of course there will be mistakes, but if you try, I don't think anyone can complain.

I think it is only common courtesy that you write legibly on a public forum. Chat programs like AIM and ICQ are a different story though! :D

When in doubt about a word, I always refer to www.dictionary.com !

lizbud
01-16-2004, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Nomilynn
I actually find it VERY difficult to read, even after all the time I've been here, and often skip it because of that :o :o :o

Aw Nomilynn, you're missing a lot of fun.:D Cinder & Smoke
write phonetically & actually I find it very easy to read. I can
really imagine them talking that way.:D

Edwina's Secretary
01-16-2004, 12:11 PM
I fine the way to read Phred's post is OUT LOUD! Now, if you are doing this at work, your co-workers may find you a bit odd....but it helps!

Randi
01-16-2004, 12:19 PM
We need MORE posts from Cinder & Smoke - and also pics of BOOTS!! ..... did you know, they've got a digital camera now! (hint-hint)

Karen
01-16-2004, 12:46 PM
And we do forgive dogs and cats their creative spelling - after all, that's not something they cover in puppy kindergarten!

Okay, birds and bunnies and other critters as well - as long as their humans are willing to translate if necessary!

micki76
01-16-2004, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
I fine the way to read Phred's post is OUT LOUD! Now, if you are doing this at work, your co-workers may find you a bit odd....but it helps!

:D I love Cinder and Smoke's prayers the most. They always make me cry.

Dogz
01-21-2004, 02:02 PM
I love Cinder and Smoke's posts.:D I can understand them fairly well actually. I can probably read Big Birfday Bash faster than Big Birthday Bash.;)

I agree with Randi-- we need more pics!!

gini
01-21-2004, 04:18 PM
Yeah, but when I heard myself sing "Happy Birfday to you, Happy Birfday to you" to a good friend.........everyone asked me when I had the dental work done.

tuxluvr
01-21-2004, 07:13 PM
Good idea! It brought back memories of my first "on line" experience in an live forum and I kept seeing that ROTFLMAO...and I finally asked who that "Ralf Mayo" was--I think I was too embarrassed to go back there again!

I have also grown weary of corporate world's "acronym crazy" attitude. I worked one place where they actually had an online dictionary of all their acronym terms, they had so many of them.

Here's an idea, use the real words...you could have saved a lot of time and money building that web site!

lynnestankard
01-22-2004, 05:34 AM
Oh Thanks Karen! Nice Friendly Reminder. I find abbreviated posts so difficult to read, so I usually give up.
Course the 'fur kids' manage so well - considering their thinking in a 'foreign' language!:eek: I never have any problems reading 'pet speak' -especially Cinder, Smoke and Boot!! I adore 'their' postings and prayers (yes Micki I always read them with a tissue too!). SO - they have a camera now do they Randi? Errrrrr.........Phred? You there?
Reading through the lists of internet slang - I'm sure some of the 'shorthand' takes longer to type than the actual words!
Must own up to being a LOL - ROTFL - ROFLMAO - user, they still make me giggle. OH yes, and 'pic' or 'photo' - that's just me being very lazy!
So I'm off now to write out one hundered times -'Must not abbreviate picture or photograph to pic or photo' :D :D

Lynne

sasha the cat
01-24-2004, 09:51 PM
Me-eow, Pics and Pictures are basically English words. How about using photos and/or fotos, words used in many languages such as English, French, Dutch, German, etc.

Karen
01-24-2004, 09:58 PM
Photos or fotos, short for photographs, are just as good as pictures, in my humble opinion. In fact, call them what you will, we want more! ;)

Thank you all for your forebearance in these matters!

carole
01-24-2004, 10:22 PM
When I first came on here I used to use internet slang and type u and c, only because I was new to the internet, and I thought this is what everyone did, I was soon corrected, and I have respected that, and use the correct words, I think I was forgiven lol oops (laugh out loud).

I have no problem with accepting bad spellers, abbreviations, slang etc, I can usually dechiper it no problem, but I accept the wishes of the majority and PT Moderators and abide by it.

I know its not hard to type the whole word out, but I do suffer from aching arms and hands very often, and it helped to make my threads shorter, however if Truffles can do it so can I .:)

P.S you will have to excuse me a little ,after all I am a kiwi, and we have that attitude SHE'LL BE RIGHT MATE' bred in us. lol.

EssTer
02-06-2004, 09:31 AM
I´m sorry for sooooo stupid question, but can somebody say me, what means RIP?

gini
02-06-2004, 10:13 AM
There is no such thing as a stupid question...........I didn't know what a lot of the abbreviations meant either.

RIP means Rest In Peace.

EssTer
02-06-2004, 12:41 PM
Thanx Gini, now I´ll know what means RIP...

prettykitty1
02-27-2004, 09:55 PM
Right

LauralG
03-07-2004, 04:38 PM
I don't like slang either but I will try not to use pic anymore I'm a bad speller to. Thanks for bringing this up. Hope everyone has a nice Sunday:) Pictchuer?:)

Thanks Willie.:)

teenster3
03-30-2004, 06:33 PM
I'm new to this site and actually came across it by accident. I was happy to have a place to talk about my dogs and pets with. But I have to say, I was disappointed by all the responses to not abbreviating or using run-ons, because as some people have stated: IT IS SO ANNOYING. I like to think I treat others as I would like to be treated and maybe I am sensitive but, I found that statement somewhat hurtful. I understand the abbreviating., as people do not always understand what one is saying but, run-ons, come on. I'm definitely not perfect and never will be. I guess I just thought this was a place to talk about our pets, not get critizied on our english. I'm not trying to over-step my boundaries here....I didn't create this website. I'm just stating how I feel.:(

Karen
03-30-2004, 06:39 PM
The thread is titled "A Friendly reminder." It is not meant to make anyone feel bad. As long as you try, no one will criticize. We don't care about technical run-ons, so much as run-on-and-on-and-on-and-on-and-so-long-you-wonder if-you'll-ever-get-to-breathes!

wolfsoul
03-30-2004, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by teenster3
I understand the abbreviating., as people do not always understand what one is saying but, run-ons, come on.
I speak English, understand abbreviations perfectly well, and I write stories, and I STILL can't understand a single thing when people use run-on sentences. I don't understand why you take offense, as I've read some of your posts and haven't seen anything hard to understand at all. :confused:

I'm just saying that when people say something like: "I met this dog today it was so cute I pet him and he was such a good boy and I wanted to take him home but my mom wouldn't let me, she's so mean I don't understand why I couldn't get this dog he was the nicest thing ever and I just wanted him so bad and all I ever do is beg for a dog but I'm just not allowed to get one and it sucks so bad Gosh I can't stand it I wish I could get another dog like that one he was so perfect" etc, etc.

I just wrote that myself, read it over, and I have NO CLUE what I just wrote down. :o I need punctuation and I need actual sentence structure or it's so confusing it literally gives me a headache. Some people here have learning disablities and just can't comprehend what a sentence says when it has no structure.

wolfsoul
03-30-2004, 06:48 PM
We don't care about technical run-ons, so much as run-on-and-on-and-on-and-on-and-so-long-you-wonder if-you'll-ever-get-to-breathes!

I agree; Everyone uses a run-on sentence every now and then, but when it gets to the point where your entire paragraph is just one sentence, it's just very difficult to understand. :)

teenster3
03-30-2004, 07:37 PM
Ok....so I read that you don't like run-ons and I wrote what I thought about that. I'm just saying that sometimes I do it and I don't mean to OFFEND ANYBODY it's just that I'm not great with puncuation....that's all. I want to be able to talk to people without being judged and I think that's a fair statement to make.

Karen
03-30-2004, 07:55 PM
Any easy way to know where to put punctuation is is by reading it aloud. When you stop to take a breath, a comma or period should be used! (More often if you speak at auctioneer speed, but you know what I mean.)

Canis Amicus
04-10-2004, 08:45 AM
That is really nice to know. Where I live we speak German, most of my Internet contacts are in English, and my mother tongue is Portuguese... What a salad!

And to complete, I find my spell mistakes only when they are posted (in all three languages).

carole
04-10-2004, 09:05 PM
Teenster, don't feel bad, I have landed myself in lots of hot water, as my opinion differs from almost everyone else here, I really don't care if anyone cannot spell, or does not use the correct puncuation etc etc, I am intelligent enough to decipher most of it anyhow, it simply does not bother me.

However as most of the people on PT object, I do my best to make my posts legible as possible,and I think that is all that is really being asked of us, and I respect the opinions of the majority here.

I Come here to have fun, read lovely stories, make friends, pure and simple , nothing else, I am just easy-going when it comes to this kind of stuff, maybe it is just the kiwi laid back lifestyle that makes me this way, who knows, but it does not bother me at all.:) but it does others, so a little effort is required, and appreciated by all.;)

slleipnir
04-30-2004, 11:00 AM
Ah. I use a lot of abbreviations myself. However, I'm quite use to it and really don't notice myself doing it all the time. I'm also not the best spelling in the world lol XD I suppose if I re-read most of my posts I could fix mistakes, but I'm lazy :X I suppose I don't use A LOT of abbreviations, but I use ppl for people and pic of picture..(to me, it's when people talk like this : "y r u doin dat" or something along those lines, that annoys me.)

joanofark
05-04-2004, 09:14 PM
Yes that is a good idea ... I try not to use slang because people all over the world and people I don't know is going to see what I wrote. And I dont want them to think I am a bad speller! Thanks for the reminder!!!!:D

catmandu
05-25-2004, 10:15 AM
I try , and if I cant , its because , of my poor eye sight!

crazycait
05-30-2004, 07:16 PM
maybe we should put up an on-line dictionary for all of the abbreviations (why IS that such a long word?!?:D :p ;) )
lol- laugh out loud ect. :p :D

Buddy Blaze Lover
08-11-2004, 02:04 PM
Great idea...it drives me crazy when people abbreviate and use stuff like lol, y, u, etc. Thanks for bringing it up. :)

carole
08-11-2004, 03:51 PM
Buddy Blaze I think you will find some abbreviations such as LOL are perfectly acceptable on PT, and rightly so, it is internet language, so why should it not be used, besides for someone like me typing really hurts my hands after a while , so abbreviations are very handy at times, just MO , I don't see why it bothers you so much., I think as long as someone's thread is eligible,that is the main thing.

sandragonfly
08-13-2004, 02:33 AM
1,945 letters are NOT to be comment-'ed' on this since this thread is *required*. =| abbreviations are out, my annoyance too.

you people, here's my little lovely experience on recent spelling.
abbr.... *looking up at www.yourdictionary.com* *typing out a word* *...ok! abbreviations! abbreviations!* *goes back to PT window* *aghh what was it again? goes back..* *opening it again or you have SO slow computer* *please help.. ABBREVIATIONS or I get cricitized!* *typing out 'abbreviations.. are out..'* *clicked "Submit Reply"* *sorry, you have been logged out* *lost the WHOLE thing* *retype* *nervously remembered "abbreviations" THIS time* *life is not >so< fair*.....................................

Animal Lover12
08-20-2004, 07:48 AM
Hi.
I totally agree too!
Although I can always ready it and it doesn't ALWAYS bother me, I still think that that is a VERY good idea!:)

pitc9
08-20-2004, 04:25 PM
I know I do not use correct grammar all the time nor was I ever in a spelling bee. So what I try to do before submitting a post... is copy and paste it into word or something and spell check it because I don't want people to get mad at me for spelling anything wrong. :o

Harmanie
08-24-2004, 12:27 PM
Seeing how we are talking about abreviations, What does btw mean?? I was just curiouse because I see it all the time on pt!:p

gini
08-24-2004, 12:41 PM
*I think* it means

BY THE WAY.

Harmanie
08-24-2004, 01:09 PM
Why thank you. aaahh I see!

micki76
08-26-2004, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by pitc9
I know I do not use correct grammar all the time nor was I ever in a spelling bee. So what I try to do before submitting a post... is copy and paste it into word or something and spell check it because I don't want people to get mad at me for spelling anything wrong. :o

I do that too! :) It doesn't catch everything and sometimes I look like a doofus when I rely on it, but overall it's pretty heplful.

Animal Lover12
08-27-2004, 02:48 PM
I totally agree!

Harmanie
08-28-2004, 07:27 PM
See I know that I need work on my spelling! I know what I want to say but when I can't say it I figure out a different way to say it. I need to practice. and maybe this sight is a good start ya know? I used to be an awsome speller!!! I just need a lot more practice!http://www.1-2-3-gaestebuch.de/smilies/046.gif

bsherman
09-14-2004, 01:50 PM
This is good, because I need to know what LOL is , looked it up and there were 3700 different meanings. Laughing on Line ? Lots of Love ? Maybe I sound computer stupid but I am.

confined
09-14-2004, 11:16 PM
LOL = Laugh out loud or laughing out loud. You say it when you want to express happiness or joy. (hehe)

bsherman
09-15-2004, 05:58 AM
Thanks, you know I do LOL when I see some of the great pictures on Pet of the Day. Have a good one.

wabbitwuver
09-17-2004, 07:57 PM
LOL!Slang....one of my favorites....but I usually use that on MSN only....but sometimes on here I do when I have to(hafta one of my most often used) hurry, parents calling. I know(and kno is DEFINITLY a habit) adults can't stand slang, it's(oh and itz a favorite of mine) just something they just can't usually get, I'm teaching all of it to my mom for her msn. I'm definitly not against it, I find it MUCH easier to type! But for those people who are form different places your right about that!

guineapiglover4ever
09-20-2004, 03:02 PM
okay

Mkitty
10-12-2004, 10:19 PM
I agree, even though i do it! I'm 13, so I obviously do it a lot, but I now only use slang in pm's with people who are ok with it and understand it, and I don't do it with posts usually. I don't capitalize all the time though!:p Thanx Karen! lol Thanks! I do that sometimes too!:rolleyes:

cookieluver7
10-23-2004, 11:54 AM
I'm sorry Karen, I do that a lot. I always write things like b/c for because, and u instead of you, ppl instead of people, g2g instead of got to go, etc. Thanks for the reminder to help me remember that I'm not chatting online with my friends, but with people from all around the world who don't know what all of this means. I will try harder to not use these abreviations.:p

guineapiglover4life
11-01-2004, 09:16 PM
I so agree! Chatspeak makes me...ughh...puke! Spray chatspeak-be-gone on all the inproper grammer posts!

carole
11-01-2004, 11:06 PM
cookieluver7 you are not alone here, when I first joined I too used chat talk, as I was new to the internet and had just learned it, and was enjoying my new skill, but i soon realised it was not really appreciated on PT by many, so I made the changes, and it was no big deal. I still use the odd one like BTW by the way, and LOL laugh out loud, but that is about it nowadays.

One has to go with the majority.:)

hamsterman
11-27-2004, 08:07 PM
ok karen

Vette
01-14-2005, 07:26 PM
Uhoh. im in trouble then. i never have used that slang stuff but i never have added commas and stuff like that to where they belong.

hope i dont get into too big of trouble. can everyone understand me okay?

Lexi_Lover
01-31-2005, 01:47 PM
Would we still be aloud to use LOL and PT:confused:

See, you read it;) Just kidding!

luvofallhorses
02-01-2005, 03:28 PM
I think that that is great that you asked that :D it kind of bugs me too even though I sometimes get lazy and use unproper punctuation and capitilization :o but thanks for bringing it up, Karen :D

Suki Wingy
02-13-2005, 02:56 AM
I try to type w/ correct capitalazation and gramar, but sometimes I see it and I'm too lazy to go back and fix it. I like tying to desihper other people's codes! I am a really slow typer, so I like to abbriviate. I will never stop using "pics"!:p

Harmanie
03-26-2005, 01:37 PM
I have a question, can I still say jk( just kidding)

Karen
03-30-2005, 09:33 PM
You can, as long as you realize that many people won't understand that. Typing out "just kidding" is safest!

Harmanie
04-02-2005, 01:11 PM
Okay, thats understandable. :)

GoldenRetrieverLover_01
04-28-2005, 12:54 PM
Thanks, it makes it easier for newcomers to understand- you're right. I'll try not to write as much slang-I have a habit of it. Sorry!

sandragonfly
05-02-2005, 08:46 PM
...a new favor please? I keep on seeing the real names and sometimes I had no idea who is talking about who.

real name along with (username) would be nice! especially for the newbies -- I remember my few first weeks...months actually, I was sooo confused. ha ha.

thanks for letting me appreciate!

finn's mom
05-13-2005, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Gina's Ark Inc.
...a new favor please? I keep on seeing the real names and sometimes I had no idea who is talking about who.

real name along with (username) would be nice! especially for the newbies -- I remember my few first weeks...months actually, I was sooo confused. ha ha.

thanks for letting me appreciate!

I know, I sometimes still have a problem figuring out who people are talking about. And, I think there are several Karis! :) Ha, that's always fun! But, I understand all the abbreviations, but, I really don't like them, they remind me of high school or being a teenager or something. ;)

Anita Cholaine
05-18-2005, 03:07 PM
I aggre with you, Karen, sometimes it's hard to understand some messages, especially for those who don't speak English naturaly (like me, for example). So I think: is so bad my English that I can´t understand a little thing? :( :confused:

Suki Wingy
05-18-2005, 04:14 PM
what does imo mean?

gemini9961
05-18-2005, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Suki Wingy
what does imo mean?

In my opinion

Bigyummydog
05-19-2005, 02:11 AM
oops! I don't know why I've never read this. So sorry. You know, the thought had occured to me that other countries meant other languages. I just assumed it goes though some kind of translator or something. But, then again, that wouldn't work either. I think trying to figure out names is fun. I didn't know what IMO meant either. I will try my best. I guess I just got too comfortable, or maybe lazy.....:rolleyes:

Suki Wingy
05-19-2005, 10:00 AM
thanks!

momcat
06-03-2005, 10:42 AM
Hi, Karen! Thank you so much for bringing this up. I registered on Pet Talk in March and I love it. But there are times when I don't understand the abbreviations and what they mean. At times I can't figure them out from the context of the post. When it comes to computer talk and words, I'm an absolute moron! Anyway, Pet Talk serves members in several ways. It's a great place to openly admit just how important our pets are in our lives. We can talk about things that only a pet owner can understand. There's no better place to come for answers and advice, except possibly our veterinarians. As a former high school English teacher, I do understand how confusing our language can be. What a great opportunity we have to help others around the world learn the ins and outs of the English language!!!Spelling and grammar mistakes will happen. But let's all try our best to keep Pet Talk the enjoyable and informative forum it is for everyone!

Animal lady
06-18-2005, 07:14 PM
I agree.

Thanks for the reminder, Karen.

puggywuggles41893
07-08-2005, 07:37 PM
Thanks Karen! That's a great reminder for people who have forgotten.:)

Almita
07-24-2005, 01:15 AM
Yes! That is a good idea and i'm new here and I agree because I know alot of people that write like that and it kind of gets on my nerves because they just make it up and normally people don't even understand it like me. So thanks this is a good idea:)

Zany_girlie
08-06-2005, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by RubyMutt
I couldn't agree more! :D Thanks for bringing that up, Karen :)

dogzr#1
08-12-2005, 08:56 PM
I agree!! Although I am close to 13 I do not use the internet slang that much. I sometimes get confused with what some people mean.

*LabLoverKEB*
10-02-2005, 10:02 AM
Thank you Karen! It can get on my nerves too. :o

Ditto!

(By the way, Julie, I just LOVE the quote in your signature! It put a big :D on my face!)

Van10
11-15-2005, 05:14 PM
Okey dokey Karen. :)

Animal Lover12
01-29-2006, 10:12 AM
I agree Karen! I can't stand when people will write out in slang, But it's okay, for aim, and such. :)

Yes, Same here.

dog_pug123
02-19-2006, 11:08 AM
:D Couldn't agree any less with you Karen! Thanks for reminding everyone!

dab_20
03-07-2006, 04:48 PM
Good point, Karen! In emails I tend to use slang alot... mostly with friends. But on PT I try and avoid it... but sometimes it just pops out.

I REALLY hate it when people write run on sentences. Drives me nuts.

Cat's Meowm
03-18-2006, 06:44 AM
I had the hardest time remembering what ICAM (I couldn't agree more) meant.

ICAM, UCAM, WeCAM - a holler... two-bits, four-bits, six-bits, a dollar.

Just for the youngsters here, two-bits are a quarter, in American money.
But that's going way back into childhood since I learned that chant or cheer at sports games!

Husky15
09-23-2006, 12:11 PM
Seeing slang on forums makes me go nuts as well. I am what you would call a grammar freak. Sometimes my grammar may not always be correct but I try my best. Seeing slang on MSN doesn't bother me as much but I never use it myself. I'm always known as the one correcting my friend's spelling and grammar. My cousin calls me Miss Grammar Freak :rolleyes:.

JuniorxMyxLove
10-22-2006, 12:25 PM
I hate when people type u[you], y[why] and like numbers instead of words! It's not that much longer! I really don't like when people have no instead of know because then I get really confused!

borzoimom
11-01-2006, 02:48 PM
thank you.. I try but lately my brain is on mush.. lol..

Genny
11-03-2006, 07:18 PM
I just now saw this. I have put pics instead of pictures a lot, but from now on I won't do it anymore.

TamanduaGirl
12-09-2006, 02:19 AM
Well it's one thing to say don't use slang or misspellings on purpose but many people can't help it for a number of reasons. I have problems myself sometimes worse than others. It only continues to get worse as I age due to I'm a reactive hypoglycemic and each time the blood sugar goes below a certain level it causes brain damage, well cells die, though it's not major it has an effect more so over time.

An on line friend of mine is very smart but is hated by most because his spelling is truely awful as is his puncuation. I think his grammer is okay if you can decifer the rest :) Personaly I don't find it that hard most of the time but it is bad. He even wrote a book before the incident that messed up his brain and hands he's still really smart but just can't type well and hasn't been able to get a good voice to text programe. and it's bad enough spell checks don't help and sometimes make it worse.

So yes it's good to be polite and write as well as you can but try not to get mad or write people off if they can't.

oh and what's the number vs words thing? You can't type 1 but one instead?

Karen
12-13-2006, 06:34 PM
oh and what's the number vs words thing? You can't type 1 but one instead?

No, it's when people substitute 4 for the entirely different word "for" or 2 for the word "to" - like "I am going 2 the mall 4 my shopping trip."

TamanduaGirl
12-13-2006, 10:23 PM
oh okay. That didn't occur to me at the time