PDA

View Full Version : Car Ride Problems

Amber
01-02-2004, 08:58 PM
Every since Katie was a puppy. My mom would take her with her in the car, so she would be a good car rider. But it hasnt helped because Katie is very afraid of car rides, even if we are just going down the road. Katie will shake & whimper until she is out of the car. Me and my mom made a deal that if I could get katie comfortable with car rides, we could take her to a Ohio Gather up. And thats something I really wanna do. I know the loud noises of the car scares them, but I was thinking maybe we could take her favorite blanket, some favorite toys, and treats and food. Do you think that would make her a bit more comfortable? what do you think? Or anyone have a different idea?

Thankyou!

GoldenRetrLuver
01-02-2004, 09:01 PM
My old Dachshund, Todo was HORRIBLE in the car.
When you bring Katie into the car next time, try bringing a couple of her favorite treats and just feed them to her, so then she'll associate going into the car, with food. :)

Good Luck!

Amber
01-02-2004, 09:19 PM
Thanks Julie!! :)

binka_nugget
01-02-2004, 09:40 PM
I was watching a show called "Good Dog" by Dr. Stanley Coren. He was offering tips with these car problems. He mentioned trying to just sit in there for a couple minutes and feeding the dog, giving it treats and making it a happy place. I guess once you're sure she's comfortable in there, you could drive around the block a couple times (just make sure you didn't fill her up with food..you're bound to get it back if you know what I mean) ;). Then you can turn a couple blocks into a trip to the store and build up. Try to keep it a really happy place for her.

Amber
01-02-2004, 09:46 PM
Thanks Binka!

I think I saw a similar show, called Good Dog U, on animal planet. I will try that! Thanks!

binka_nugget
01-02-2004, 09:49 PM
No problem. :)

Good luck!

Amber
01-02-2004, 09:51 PM
Thanks!!

But I should mention, when I say "Katie wanna go for a ride?"
She perks her ears up, and starts jumping around.

kittenwhiskerz
01-02-2004, 10:15 PM
We have trouble with some dogs and not with others. Remember that some dogs DO get motion sickness just like we do! (including me barf).
Like the others here mentioned, try and make it a pleasant association, as in relaxed, snacks, fun, happy faces and at first just a trip around the block. It's awful when the dog associates going in the car with "Going to the Vet" but sometimes that can't be helped. Try taking her to happy places that are not far away. She will do well I bet! Best of luck!:)

Darrolanne from CA

micki76
01-02-2004, 10:23 PM
Does Katie have a crate in your house that she uses at all? If so, she might like to be in one in the car. Chester gets in his crate and falls asleep before we leave our neighborhood. But, if he's loose in the car and not in the crate, he's very anxious (shaking, nervous looking) and doesn't settle down at all.

Amber
01-02-2004, 10:25 PM
Well, we never crate trained katie, so we dont have a crate for her. But we do have one, when we had Brodie. Its pretty big. Ill have to see if she can get into it. If not. I try to get one. That would prolly help!

I think when Katie is comfortable, We can take her to the lake. Its really close, so that could be apart of the rewarding.

RobiLee
01-03-2004, 06:42 AM
These are all good suggestions. Maybe you could even ask your vet if he has something she could take to calm her down for a long car ride. I sure do hope you get this situation resolved because I would really love to meet you and Katie at the dog park! I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Robin :)

dukedogsmom
01-03-2004, 02:22 PM
Sorry, I don't have a clue because Duke LOVES to go for rides. Even though he was dumped from a car. Maybe she does get motion sickness. I do. Maybe there is something the vet can give her to relax her before you get her in the car.