PDA

View Full Version : I just can't believe this. :(

luckies4me
01-02-2004, 08:01 PM
I have my neighbors cat in my bedroom right now. She was outside in the rain and snow freezing. She is soaked in mud, and soaking wet. :( :mad: My neighbors always leave their cats outside for a long time with no shelter, food or water. :mad: They also have another cat, so I am hoping she is inside. This cat was outside just meowing and meowing, and when picked up with the towel went limp from being exhausted. I am off to go feed and water her now. She will be staying with us until they get home..........whenever that is. :rolleyes:

Tonya
01-02-2004, 08:04 PM
What jerks! Poor kitty! Good thing you found it.

sirrahbed
01-02-2004, 08:16 PM
Glad the little thing is warm and fed tonight. Are you friends with these neighbors? I can imagine this would make it hard to get along with them eh? Well, good for you anyway.:)

Bastet27
01-02-2004, 08:27 PM
What a great thing to do :D How could your neighbors do that to the poor thing?

Cataholic
01-02-2004, 08:33 PM
I can't believe that Cass! What fools. I sure hope the other kitty is someplace keeping warm. Is there any chance they didn't know?

Bastet27
01-02-2004, 08:49 PM
What a great thing to do :D How could your neighbors do that to the poor thing?

luckies4me
01-02-2004, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic
I can't believe that Cass! What fools. I sure hope the other kitty is someplace keeping warm. Is there any chance they didn't know?

Well I am even more pissed off now. But I will take this as a chance to educate someone.

Turns out they were snowed in in Portland. Both cats were outside for a few hours with no food, water etc. Her story didn't make sense as she said she went to Portland for three days, and then she said the cats had only been out for about three hours. Hrmm. I just took the cat to the owner, as I noted they had got home.

Turns out this was the momma cat, they have another one who is the son, but he is fixed. When I was in the room petting her I noticed she was acting very friendly. Scratched her back and sure enough she did the "arch". Yep she's in heat, and yep, she's also been nailed already. :( :mad: This will be her second litter. Who knows what cat got to her, as there are so many around here.

She was juicing so bad (I know that sounds sick) that she got it on my bed and now I have to change my sheets. YUCK! But she is so sweet and a beautiful kitty. She is a torbie with white spots. :) Anyways, that's how I knew someone had gotten to her already.

The lady said she couldn't afford to fix her cat. I mean I am guilty of breeding a litter too, but at least I knew WHO the father was and thoroughly thought things through, and had homes lined up way before she was even bred, and of course we kept Cheetah and Tin Tin and Mystic. After that, Houdini was spayed, and Cheetah too, and of course the two boys got neutered. Now, I would never breed another litter as there are people who are so much more experienced than I or any old person off the street, and just too many unwanted animals. I mean, the first time she didn't even know the cat was in heat! She took the cat to the doctor because she was yowling............well duh. :rolleyes:

The docs had to tell her the cat was pregnant. So now her excuse is that she is moving tomorrow and that she doesn't have the money to get her fixed. She can't tell me that in a years time she couldn't have saved 50 bucks for a spay.

So I am getting her some clinic numbers and the Stray Cat Alliances numbers and info so she can get her cat spayed BEFORE she has her kittens. Hopefully she will take my advice.

But even though she was snowed in, this happens all the time. The cats are always left out, for extended periods of time.

luckies4me
01-02-2004, 09:10 PM
Also she mentioned that the only reason why the male was neutered was because she didn't want him to spray, not because he could knock up every female cat in town. :rolleyes:

Tonya
01-02-2004, 09:27 PM
That is a shame. I couldn't force my kitties outside in the winter if I wanted to. lol. Kitties like to be warm and cozy.

jazzcat
01-02-2004, 09:45 PM
Such a shame.

I think people should have to past a test to be parents and pet owners.:( If nothing else at least be required to have basic training.

amoore
01-02-2004, 10:33 PM
Poor little kitties!:( I'm so glad you are the good person you are. :)

luckies4me
01-03-2004, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by jazzcat
Such a shame.

I think people should have to past a test to be parents and pet owners.:( If nothing else at least be required to have basic training.

I agree. Although if it came down to money I would probably fail.
:(

Well now the cat is outside again and she is MEOWING like crazy because she is in heat!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :(

I would REALLY like to sleep tonight, but obviously the owner doesn't care about that, or the fact her cat is going to get pregnant. Why the hell are people so damn stupid???:mad:

luckies4me
01-03-2004, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by amoore
Poor little kitties!:( I'm so glad you are the good person you are. :)

Aww thank you very much. :) That is so sweet of you. :)

krazyaboutkatz
01-03-2004, 12:17 AM
Cass, I'm so sorry to hear that you have such an irresponsible neighbor.:( Hopefully she'll get her spayed before she becomes pregnant again but since she hasn't done this yet I highly doubt it.:( This is just so sad. I'm glad that you were there to keep the cat warm and feed her until her so called owners returned home.

bisi.cat
01-03-2004, 02:33 AM
Such a shame.

I second that!!!

What stupid neighbors!!! Gggrrrr!!!:mad:

IttyBittyKitty
01-03-2004, 03:39 AM
Such a shame.

I agree ... what irresponsible pet owners these mob are! The only way my kitties would be out in the snow is a) if we lived in a cold climate and b) if Pixel fell out another window ;)

amoore
01-03-2004, 09:58 AM
I think it would be nice if they had to go through the same thing that people do when they want to adopt a child. There would be less homeless cats & dogs. less sick kitties & dogs too.

I know people that has cats that never has taken even one of them to a vet! They just let them run and keep having babies.

Luckies, I think you are a lady with a big heart! If we just had more people like you, there would be a better world for cats and dogs. :)

PayItForward
01-03-2004, 10:09 AM
If you just accidently caught the momma cat and had her spayed via a charity, how much would it cost ?

I might be able to find a donation towards treatment, to prevent another unwanted litter in the world, if you could arrange it.

If the owner doesn't understand that her cat is on heat , she'll probually not question if she goes off it too.

As for a shaved area on her cat, well even if she notices, the deed will be done, just deny all knowledge. ;)

Let me know, if you want to try.

luckies4me
01-03-2004, 11:44 AM
You know I had thought of this last night too. The owner is moving today so that cats are going with her, hopefully! I thought of maybe talking to her and seeing if she would do it if I pitch in money? I think the most it would cost would be about 80 dollars? The exam and then the spay. I know a fairly cheap place which I take my cats to and they are great. :)

But I would deffinately try that, only thing is that they are moving TODAY. Sigh. Maybe I should talk to her?

PayItForward
01-03-2004, 12:05 PM
Try and talk to her and check she is actually taking her cats with her.

luckies4me
01-03-2004, 10:23 PM
SHE LEFT HER CATS HERE!!!!! :mad:

She left her cats here! I can't believe it. I talked to her right before she left and she came over to ask me if I had seen her cat. I said no but if I do I will let her know. She said she had to go right now, and they were already done packing. I wondered, why the heck didn't she take the cats to the new place FIRST? :confused: Or at least put them in the bathroom or something or this place so she at least knew where they were when she had to leave. :rolleyes:

And her comment about letting her cat out at four in the morning was this, "Well she was meowing and yowling so I just said, 'There go get pregnant'." :eek: She said she was going to take her in to get fixed Monday but it's kinda hard to take in an imaginary cat. :rolleyes:

So she left both of her cats here. The boy and the mom. The mom is outside somewhere and it's supposed to snow tonight. She didn't even leave food or water or even a cardboard box for them! :mad: So tonight I have to try and catch the mom and keep her inside. The girl gave me a telephone number and I told her that if I catch the cats I will keep them in my bathroom and then call her so she can come get them. But I just looked at the number and it is a 775 area code. Does anyone know where this is? Could it just be her cell phone number? I don't have long distance so even if I catch the cats I have no way to get ahold of her. :(

What do I do? The cat is in heat and she will be keeping us up all night if I keep her inside, but I can't just leave her out there, and I can't call the owner either. *sigh* This really sucks. The male is skittish and I don't think he will come to me, which means he will be outside all night in the cold. :( I am going to put a blanket out there for them in a box if I can find one. This really sucks.

And to top it off a guy is moving into her apartment tomorrow. Do you know how confused the cats are going to be when they see a new person in THEIR house? :(

cutie_chica
01-03-2004, 11:01 PM
Honestly, I would take it to the pound, There it will get a bath, fed, have a warm place, GET FIXED.... and get a phonecard at walmart for 5 dollars, and call the owner, say she is at the pound, and come get her out. If she is serious about getting her fixed, she will come and get her, and if she isnt serious about it, Im sure she will get a new home. :) I know how you feel, I live in a apartment and there are alot of strays here, and I love cats, but I already have the limit of them, so all I can do is keep food outside and a big box with a blanket.

luckies4me
01-04-2004, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by cutie_chica
Honestly, I would take it to the pound, There it will get a bath, fed, have a warm place, GET FIXED.... and get a phonecard at walmart for 5 dollars, and call the owner, say she is at the pound, and come get her out. If she is serious about getting her fixed, she will come and get her, and if she isnt serious about it, Im sure she will get a new home. :) I know how you feel, I live in a apartment and there are alot of strays here, and I love cats, but I already have the limit of them, so all I can do is keep food outside and a big box with a blanket.

Our pound no longer excepts cats because they have no more money and I would never take a cat to the pound. I run a rescue so I can take care of her if need be, but I don't have to since the owner just left my house. :)

Everything sounds good now. She has an appointment on Monday to get spayed, thank goodness. It does sound like she cares about her cats, but was just uninformed. Becky, the owner is going to call and keep my updated on her cats too.

So she came back tonight to look for her cats. She found the momma cat but could not find the boy so she knocked on my door and asked if I could help her look for her cat. Of course I said yes, and we headed out the door with a flashlight. She was very worried about the cats, you could see it and hear it in her voice. We looked and looked but couldn't find him. In fact we looked exactly where he was, but didn't see him. We went into her apartment and talked a little and I got to know her a bit more. She seems like she really cares for these kitties, but can be a bit dense sometimes. I think her response to the cat going out and getting pregnant was one of frustration and joking. I hate when I judge people before I really know them, but the fact still remains that the cat still hasn't been fixed. I am glad I persuaded her to spay her cat, and I feel quite good about it. :)

So we looked for her kitty and couldn't find him. We went into her apartment and I helped her take down this valance that she gave me, as well as a lamp for my living room. Then we came back here to my place and talked about my cats. I put cat food outside for her cat just in case he came to her door. Right as soon as she was going to leave my cat went outside and her cat came out of hiding just in time. I guess her and my cat play often. So she went and grabbed the food and shook it, then captured him and put him in his carrier. :) We were so relieved we caught him, and just in time too!!!

I am so happy she and I no longer have to worry about the cats, and now don't have to worry about another litter of kittens. Whoo! This could have ended much worse. But next time something like this happens I will try to not judge someone so hard before I get to know them a little better. I can now tell she loves her kitties very much, and I feel so good having done something for the mom cat. :D

And sorry for getting so upset. Animals just set me off sometimes, and I just cannot help it. :o

luckies4me
01-04-2004, 12:10 AM
Has anyone noticed I have a lot to say lately?!:eek: :D :p

PayItForward
01-04-2004, 06:18 AM
Thanks Luckies, for stepping up and being ready to help these cats. That is a very kind thing to do. :D

I'm glad the owner came back, I really hope she gets her cats sorted out soon.

Cataholic
01-04-2004, 07:38 AM
Cass, sounds to me that you led the horse to water, AND got her to drink! Great job!

luckies4me
01-04-2004, 10:40 AM
Thanks you two! :D

I wish I had a pic of her. I was going to take one when I was looking after her that night but I forgot. She was the cutest kitty. In fact, if she was left here there was no doubt I would have kept her. She looked and reminded me so much of my old cat Lucky (how I have this name on PT) that there was no doubt she would stay here. What a sweet girl she was. The boy was very beautiful as well. Such a nice looking boy. :)

nodgeness
01-04-2004, 11:20 AM
Going back to the comments about taking a test or having basic training before adopting a pet.....This may sound mean, but if you don't have the money to fix the animal how can you afford to feed & care for them?!

luckies4me
01-04-2004, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by nodgeness
Going back to the comments about taking a test or having basic training before adopting a pet.....This may sound mean, but if you don't have the money to fix the animal how can you afford to feed & care for them?!

Are you directing that to me?

I have plenty of money to take care of my pets. They all have the best of everything. They are all spayed/neutered. I wouldn't run a rescue for Bengals and exotic animals if I didn't have the funds to do so. I also breed rats, which costs a few thousands of dollars every few months. They are all vaccinated, fed great high quality food, etc.

luckies4me
01-04-2004, 11:32 AM
Also I think her comment on her not having money was false, as she obviously DOES have it, which is why the cat is being spayed on Monday. It's just a common excuse. People always say that they don't have money, but then turn around and spend it on a new 80 dollar pair of shoes etc.

nodgeness
01-04-2004, 11:37 AM
No towards your neighbor not getting the cat spayed! I think there should be a test or "education" process before someone can take home a pet. I was just trying to tie my post in w/ the converstion that was above quite a ways. Sorry if it came off I was aiming that at you! People that post in these threads(like me) tend to spoil their pets rotten! Just the way it should be. So no that comment wasn't directed @ you & I think you are great for trying to help out & educate her.

Dudley
01-04-2004, 11:37 AM
I just read this thread after posting up my plea for advice because a neighbour's cat has moved in with us. Reading the whole thread was very interesting and makes me wonder if I'm actually the bad guy - I certainly feel guilty already. The waif we have been adopted by does have a garage and food. May be we're too soft. There's definitely cat owners and cat lovers, and they're 2 very different breeds.

Well done for helping these cats. If emotions weren't strong sometimes I guess we'd all just sit on our butts and nothing would change in the world.

luckies4me
01-04-2004, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Dudley
I just read this thread after posting up my plea for advice because a neighbour's cat has moved in with us. Reading the whole thread was very interesting and makes me wonder if I'm actually the bad guy - I certainly feel guilty already. The waif we have been adopted by does have a garage and food. May be we're too soft. There's definitely cat owners and cat lovers, and they're 2 very different breeds.

Well done for helping these cats. If emotions weren't strong sometimes I guess we'd all just sit on our butts and nothing would change in the world.

Actually I think you should keep that cat. I just read your entire post (Welcome to PetTalk BTW :D) and I feel so bad for that cat. He is obviously needing human attention and craving it. The lady obviously doesn't give a hoot about him if she didn't even ask the neighbors when her cat went missing. When I lost my Mystic just a few short weeks ago, I went to EVERY house on the block! I think you should talk to the lady and take over the care of the cat. He obviously loves you and your house, and goes there for a reason. ;)

luckies4me
01-04-2004, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by nodgeness
No towards your neighbor not getting the cat spayed! I think there should be a test or "education" process before someone can take home a pet. I was just trying to tie my post in w/ the converstion that was above quite a ways. Sorry if it came off I was aiming that at you! People that post in these threads(like me) tend to spoil their pets rotten! Just the way it should be. So no that comment was directed @ you & I think you are great for trying to help out & educate her.

Ok lol. Thanks! :D I thought you were referring to me because of the comment about having money I would fail etc. It seems like doing your best isn't good enough these days. I would LOVE to adopt a baby but you have to be extremely rich. :(

nodgeness
01-04-2004, 11:45 AM
I read my first post in here again, & was laughing because I had taken out some of the text that would have tied it in better & not made it look like it was you I was aming that at.....SORRY LUCKIES!
I agree doing your best sometimes isn't good enough if you don't have the money....such as adoption....
I would love to get involved w/ animal rescues but I don't have the money to allow for that yet. I can hope that one day I will.

cutie_chica
01-04-2004, 12:08 PM
Well Im glad she came back and got the cats, I only mentioned the pound because you said she was driving you crazy. And really the pound isnt a bad place, it really depends on where you live. I dont know where you live so please dont take what I said about the pound personal. Here in Lexington where I live, all the kitties go to Petsmart, a pet store, and within a day most are adopted. I DIDNT mean to sound horrible yet again for saying to take it to the pound, and Im sorry your pound doesnt take kitties anymore But Im very glad she came back and sounded as if she cared about the kitties.

luckies4me
01-04-2004, 12:15 PM
That's OK, but I would never take any animal to the pound. It's just not the life an animal deserves to live. SHe could stay here with a warm bed, great food, attention 24/7 (at least for the most part) etc. It's just not the life a cat should live, being locked away.

Also since the cat has an owner that would be illegal for me to do, and I could get in trouble.