PDA

View Full Version : "Steve Irwin's baby in a croc shocker"

Tweety_Pie
01-02-2004, 02:33 PM
I saw this on the news today.

http://www.canada.com/search/story.aspx?id=12b0d09a-ae5c-421b-8e2b-c143c972c8f2

I find it disturbing that anyone would do such a thing. He is not only putting the his life in danger, he is putting his new born son's life in danger. :mad:

What do you think?

Tweety_Pie
01-02-2004, 02:43 PM
here is another article on this..

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,8307894%255E662,00.html

(thats where I got the name for the thread lol)

RICHARD
01-02-2004, 02:49 PM
By Crickey!!!

Look at the way that gator crushed my son's skull with no effort at all!!!

:rolleyes:

catland
01-02-2004, 02:53 PM
Funny how the article didn't convey the sort of outrage expressed when Micheal Jackson dangled his baby over the balcony.

I find Steve Irwin's, and his wife's behavior equally as shocking. Talk about negligence.:eek:

RICHARD
01-02-2004, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by catland
Funny how the article didn't convey the sort of outrage expressed when Micheal Jackson dangled his baby over the balcony.

Oh come on,

MJ was some distance from the ground....Steve's kid was no more than 4 feet off the ground.

:confused: :eek: ;)

momoffuzzyfaces
01-02-2004, 02:57 PM
What if he got confused and fed the croc what was in hand #2? YIKES!!!!!!
:eek: :(

Rottieluver45
01-02-2004, 03:14 PM
Yuck! I really don`t like Steve Irwin. He`s too wierd! I dunno I just don`t like him. And this really isn`t helping his reputation!

I`d hate to be his kid!

Tweety_Pie
01-02-2004, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by momoffuzzyfaces
What if he got confused and fed the croc what was in hand #2? YIKES!!!!!!
:eek: :(

He easily could have...the chicken he was feeding the croc was about the same size as the baby.

RICHARD
01-02-2004, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Tweety_Pie
He easily could have...the chicken he was feeding the croc was about the same size as the baby.

Regular, extra crispy or newborn?

Oh, I am sorry......

I just can't help it...

slick
01-02-2004, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD
By Crickey!!! Look at the way that gator crushed my son's skull with no effort at all!!! :rolleyes:
:D :D :D ROFLMAO!!! Ok I know this subject isn't funny at all but seriously I think Stevie baby (not Stevie's baby...) has got one foot stuck in the swamp.

I've watched him on TV and laughed the whole way through. What a way to make a living.....putting yourself and others in danger. Where's Paul Hogan when we need him????

QUOTE]Originally posted by RICHARD
Regular, extra crispy or newborn?

Oh, I am sorry......

I just can't help it... [/QUOTE]

Stop it!!!!! I'm spitting on my keyboard again.... :D :D

Really, what would the Colonel say???? Would you like fries with that??

iceyshiver21
01-02-2004, 04:00 PM
I guess for some reason this doesnt upset me. I'm not a big fan of his but i guess if he thinks he knows his animals enough to risk his son's life that day and his life everyday, then i have no right to judge, beings he know a heck of alot more then i do about them... even though it is flat out dangerous.

trayi52
01-02-2004, 04:01 PM
Michael Jackson hung his baby over the railing of his room, and Steve Erwin feeds a croc with his tiny baby in his arms, not much difference that I can see, they both put their child in danger.

Poor little babies, think how helpless they are, they can't fight back, if a person wanted, they could throw them off the balcony or feed them to the crocs. Talk about child endangerment!!

Pretty much like watching somebody throw their child into the air and catch them. Very scary!:eek:

Willie

Cheshirekatt
01-02-2004, 04:14 PM
Frankly, this doesn't bother me.

Considering we have people here who throw babies into dumpsters and breast feed while driving I imagine the Irwin baby is safer than most IMHO.

PayItForward
01-02-2004, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by trayi52
Pretty much like watching somebody throw their child into the air and catch them. Very scary!:eek:
My mum knew a couple who had indentical twin girls the father threw one of his baby daughters in the air and something happened and she hit the ground and later died from head injuries.

That father had to live with the guilt of accidently killing his own child and her twin was a constant reminder of what he had lost :(

IMO no child under the age of ten should be placed in any danger, at all.
After the age of ten with parental permission, a child should be allowed to sail, climb rocks..i.e. Some risky behaviour with supervision and all required safety equipment.
After 18, they can do what they want. If you haven't taught them how to judge risk by then, Darwin will do it for you ;)

micki76
01-02-2004, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by iceyshiver21
I guess for some reason this doesnt upset me. I'm not a big fan of his but i guess if he thinks he knows his animals enough to risk his son's life that day and his life everyday, then i have no right to judge, beings he know a heck of alot more then i do about them... even though it is flat out dangerous.

I agree, and I don't think it's really comparable to MJ dangling his child over the balcony. After all, Irwin knows a lot more about crocs than MJ does about balconies.

Still not a good choice on his part, but I'm sure that he wouldn't have done it of he felt there was any danger. He's quite good at sensing what's going on with the creatures.

No, I'm not a fan of his either. He's way too hyper and obnoxious for me.

trayi52
01-02-2004, 06:03 PM
I'll tell you what I found amusing about Steve Irwin. When he found one of the big Crocs dead, and he was burying it and he was crying, very touching scence. Until he said he loved it as much as he did his wife! I laughed and wondered what was his wife thinking??;) :D

momoffuzzyfaces
01-02-2004, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by micki76
He's quite good at sensing what's going on with the creatures. Yea, that's what Roy Horn of Sigfried and Roy thought too.:eek:

Rottieluver45
01-02-2004, 06:15 PM
I'll tell you what I found amusing about Steve Irwin. When he found one of the big Crocs dead, and he was burying it and he was crying, very touching scence. Until he said he loved it as much as he did his wife! I laughed and wondered what was his wife thinking??;) :D

LOL!! :D

RICHARD
01-02-2004, 06:26 PM
When he found one of the big Crocs dead, and he was burying it and he was crying, very touching scence.

Yes,

I'd cry too, have you seen what a pair of shoes made of that stuff goes for??
:eek:

zanzanfergie
01-02-2004, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by momoffuzzyfaces
Yea, that's what Roy Horn of Sigfried and Roy thought too.:eek:
But Siegfried and Roy thought they had the tigers "trained". Steve Irwin hasn't "trained" the crocodiles, but he has worked with them so much he probably knows better than most what to expect from them.

RICHARD
01-02-2004, 07:14 PM
MSN has a video clip on the subject...

I couldn't load it-but check their site...

Miss Meow
01-02-2004, 07:41 PM
I think the man is an idiot and an embarrassment to Australia's image. Scratch that, the man is bl**dy smart to have convinced so many that he is an entertainer, but is still an embarrassment to Australia's image.

The Queensland Families Department is going to investigate, but this will be small fries compared to child abuse, torture, murder and the usual stuff they have to deal with.

:(

Tonya
01-02-2004, 08:14 PM
I've always thought the guy was an idiot...but especially now! That was a stupid publicity stunt.

G.P.girl
01-02-2004, 08:48 PM
I LOVE STEVE!!!!!!!! i don't like terri as much. i think it's just in steves nature..he doesn't mean anything by it:) :rolleyes: :p

2kitties
01-02-2004, 09:12 PM
Yes,

I'd cry too, have you seen what a pair of shoes made of that stuff goes for??

Yes sir, I have a pair. Cost me a queen's ransom.

RubyMutt
01-02-2004, 10:33 PM
I just saw the video clip on the news a little while ago. It saddens me, I've always been a big fan of Steve's. Although, the video wasn't as bad as I had expected it to be (I had read much of this thread before I saw the video). I don't know... I've never been around crocodiles before, but I doubt I'd be feeding them while holding my baby.

Tweety_Pie
01-02-2004, 10:36 PM
The part that angers me the most is how he made his baby "walk" at the end...

Twisterdog
01-03-2004, 12:06 AM
I think he is hilarious. I've only seen him a couple times, but I laughed so hard at some of the stuff he did and said. I got the impression that he is very genuine, and that is just how he is all the time, not that he's acting for the camera.

Who knows, though. I wouldn't want to live next door to him or anything, but he's great comic relief once in a while.

I wouldn't have my child anywhere near wild animals, however. Bad judgement, IMO.

CathyBogart
01-03-2004, 01:50 AM
OK, maybe it wasn't in his best judgement. However, considering how young he started working with animals and what I've been able to pick up about his childhood from watching some of the "behind the scenes" stuff, I see where he's coming from. In his mind it was natural.

Yes wild animals are unpredictable, but so are domestic ones. Dogs cause more deaths than ANY other animal, but we don't accuse parents who have children supervised around dogs of abusing their children.

I really don't think that he thought he was putting the baby into any danger, and he was probably right. If Terri trusted him enough to let him do it, then I don't really see what all the fuss is about.

(This is all coming from someone who has never been a big fan of his. I resent the way he treats some of the animals on his show, "Look, he's angry! Let's make him MORE angry and see what he does because it makes me look good!" but I think he is an innately good person who wouldn't put his son in harm's way.)

kitten645
01-03-2004, 02:54 AM
While I don't like Erwin he seems to be sane and in control. Perhaps not the wisest of choices but he seemed to have the upper hand. MJ just seemed out of control to me and not having an idea what he was doing. I've been on the Golden Gate bridge with a dad having a child on his shoulders looking and reaching WAY over the edge to look at the bay below. I seriously almost had a heart attack. I swear that kid camethisclose to going right over as she too reached to look. He stumbled back a few steps but there by the grace of that child would have gone over. I've seen so many similar acts, not as fatal perhaps but I'm amazed sometimes I get on the elevator of the store I'm working at and there is a seven year old there by themselves. As if accidents weren't danger enough the danger from strangers is so often overlooked. Makes me shudder.

IttyBittyKitty
01-03-2004, 04:09 AM
A CROC STOLE ME BABY!

Sorry, could not resist...

Personally, I think that Steve acts like a bit of a dunderhead and sometimes protrays Aussies as bushwacking twits, but he is an intelligent man (has his masters in biology or something like that) and he is is involved with initiatives to protect the environment plus protect endangered species. His "Australia Park" (located not too far from here) brings in many vital tourist dollars to the Queensland economy.

That said, he should sack his PR agent (or whichever ditzhead told him that it would be a good idea to introduce his infant to his man-eating reptilian charges)

And no, you CANNOT compare Irwin's one blunder with Jackson's known history of fiddling with kiddies and plain weirdness. Why else did he have kids if he doesn't want to molest them? He doesn't seem to express any particular need to copulate with members of the opposite sex (adult) for pleasure and mutual progeny. Make no mistake, Jacko's kiddies are going to be a mixed up bunch of people.

The idiotic Qld Department of Families should worry about all the Qld babies being beaten to death by drunken losers rather than one misguided celeb who would otherwise be a good Dad. For those of you outside Aussieland, the Qld Department of Families has taken a lot of flak lately for the number of neglected and abused children who have been subjected to unknown horrors and even killed without the dept doing a thing to help (woefully understaffed)

kitten645
01-03-2004, 03:13 PM
Why else did he have kids if he doesn't want to molest them? He doesn't seem to express any particular need to copulate with members of the opposite sex (adult) for pleasure and mutual progeny. Make no mistake, Jacko's kiddies are going to be a mixed up bunch of people.

No doubt those kids are in for a hard life...screwed up beyond what any amount of money could help...however the idea that people have kids as a result of wanting 'copulation' disturbs me. I know of many people (men AND women) that want children. Far be it of ME,a single and defiantly NON pro-creator to stand up for them but there are lots of people completely perfect for the role of parenthood. With or without partners/sex et al...

it also teriffies me that anyone would have a child w/ an evil purpose though I supose all things are possible. To actually "father" a child for a sadistic purpose seems inconcieveble to me but I would put nothing past nutty Jacko

G.P.girl
01-03-2004, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Twisterdog
I got the impression that he is very genuine, and that is just how he is all the time, not that he's acting for the camera.

yes i think so to, he always cries when an animal at the zoo dies and he gets really sad and writes aspeech to say for it. and he just seems to really love his animals, and is kinda oblivious to the danger that they might put him or his son in. but he just wants his kid to grow up loving animals as much as he does.

rg_girlca
01-03-2004, 07:50 PM
What got me was when Steve told the crowd, "He's one month old, so it's about time Bob got out there and did his first croc demo."

At one month old:eek: ....I don't think so.

I just shudder at what could have happened, experienced or not.

moosmom
01-03-2004, 10:33 PM
I saw CNN report on that little blunder. People are absolutely outraged at what Steve did, and to be honest, I don't blame them. He's no better than Michael Jackson dangling HIS kid over a railing in Paris. Steve's wife is a couple fries short of a Happy Meal as well for letting it happen.

Trying to get a 1 month old kid to love animals??? Not at that age.

Moose
01-03-2004, 11:36 PM
I'd have to agree that Steve are his wife are a couple of "crocs" themselves...they are absolutely absurd. All I know is if I had my baby in my arms, I wouldn't be getting within 15 feet of anything with a set of teeth like that. :eek:

Twisterdog
01-03-2004, 11:55 PM
Dogs cause more deaths than ANY other animal, but we don't accuse parents who have children supervised around dogs of abusing their children.

We should. NO child should ever be left unsupervised with ANY animal, period. No excuses, no justifications.

DJFyrewolf36
01-04-2004, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by Cheshirekatt
Frankly, this doesn't bother me.

Considering we have people here who throw babies into dumpsters and breast feed while driving I imagine the Irwin baby is safer than most IMHO.

I completely agree...he knows the animals...his dad prolly did that to him and no one had a cow...its just cause hes a celebrity that everyone has to get uppity...
I think everyone aught to take a chill pill...Crocs are dangerous animals but I see no reason to prosicute...Now if he dangled the BABY in front of the croc I'd be more upset.

tikeyas_mom
01-04-2004, 03:30 AM
The stunt was slammed by child support groups and likened to the furore caused by pop star Michael Jackson when he dangled his newborn baby over a balcony at a hotel in Germany in 2002.

All I can do is laugh at this comment and how it was mentioned in the case about steve, his crock, and son, Bob. Steve is a trained prof. He knows what he is doing I dought he would place his child in danger on perpose. But thats JMHO. I think Steve is a great person he saves animals lives all the time. He introduced his first child *daughter* to crocks at a young age as well. You didnt see that on the news, now did you??? ;)... I dont know, I think it is Rubish, I mean By CrI-ckey ;).

Uabassoon
01-04-2004, 03:47 AM
While I know that he does a lot to help animals and that he is a trained professional I think think what he did was very irresponsible. So many horrible things could have happened, and maybe he didn't think it out too well. Thankfully his child wasn't injured. I've never met anyone who hasn't ever accidentally dropped something, he very easily could have dropped his baby. Now I'm not saying that people are always dropping their children or anything because usually when someone carries a baby they are very careful, but look at how he was carring the child! He had the baby underneath his armpit, what if the baby started to squrim and fell. Not only was he carrying the baby in an unsafe manner but he was also using his other hand to feed the croc making it even more unsafe because he could have easily loosed the other arm that was holding up the baby. If I was in public and saw someone carring a baby the way he was I would be horrified even if there was no croc! Just because he is trained doesn't mean it's safe for his baby. I mean if I were something crazy like a skydiving instructor I wouldn't be taking my baby on a jump with me because "I knew what I was doing". I think it was just really stupid idea, and he should be thankful that his baby is safe.

gini
01-04-2004, 12:27 PM
There are many adjectives that come to my mind when I think about Steve Irwin.

However, IDIOT seems to be the kindest of them all.

RICHARD
01-04-2004, 03:38 PM
The part that angers me the most is how he made his baby "walk" at the end...

getting croc crap from in between a newborn's toes is hard..

IBK.....

LOLOLOLOLOLOL!

That was priceless!!!!

For the seriousness of the subfect I have found this to be pretty entertaining.

2K,

Did you get the handbag???;)

CathyBogart
01-04-2004, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Twisterdog
We should. NO child should ever be left unsupervised with ANY animal, period. No excuses, no justifications.

Could you please re-read my post. I said SUPERVISED. :)

Cincy'sMom
01-04-2004, 03:46 PM
I can't say I'm surprise Steve had the baby out there with the croc. Back when Terri was pregnant with their first child, (which I think was before they were famous but just startingon TV) she was sitting on top of the gators wrestlin them intot he truck. Yes, while pregnant. But then again, shocking the public gets ratings, and that is what it is all about!

blur
01-04-2004, 08:33 PM
I find it disturbing that anyone would do such a thing. He is not only putting the his life in danger, he is putting his new born son's life in danger. :mad:

What do you think?

Well, as a croc expert said today, it's not like huge saltwater crocodiles are agile like lions or tigers. There's no way the child, being held at least 6 feet from the ground and several feet from the croc was in danger.

I would bet my last dollar that if that croc had moved menacingly towards Steve, he would have had the baby over the fence back to its mother before it had any chance to do anything to the child. I would also bet that Steve is the kind of guy who would let the croc take both his legs before he even thought about giving up Bob.

Anyway, are people so silly that they think Steve would harm his child? He knows what he's doing. It's his profession, for crying out loud.

Steve Irwin is a happy-go-lucky bloke who has become successful and it's really embarassing to see the media create this frenzy around him. It's like they'v ebeen waiting to have a shot at him for ages - probably through jealousy that an average Joe can do so well - and now they've got it. And I'm disgusted with the media. Completely and utterly.

G.P.girl
01-04-2004, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by blur
Well, as a croc expert said today, it's not like huge saltwater crocodiles are agile like lions or tigers. There's no way the child, being held at least 6 feet from the ground and several feet from the croc was in danger.

I would bet my last dollar that if that croc had moved menacingly towards Steve, he would have had the baby over the fence back to its mother before it had any chance to do anything to the child. I would also bet that Steve is the kind of guy who would let the croc take both his legs before he even thought about giving up Bob.

Anyway, are people so silly that they think Steve would harm his child? He knows what he's doing. It's his profession, for crying out loud.

Steve Irwin is a happy-go-lucky bloke who has become successful and it's really embarassing to see the media create this frenzy around him. It's like they'v ebeen waiting to have a shot at him for ages - probably through jealousy that an average Joe can do so well - and now they've got it. And I'm disgusted with the media. Completely and utterly.

i couldn't have said it better myself!:D
p.s. welcome to pet talk:)

blur
01-04-2004, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by rg_girlca
What got me was when Steve told the crowd, "He's one month old, so it's about time Bob got out there and did his first croc demo."

At one month old:eek: ....I don't think so.

Methinks you need to understand Australian larrikanism and humour a little more before you judge what he said ;)

G.P.girl
01-04-2004, 08:44 PM
Like i said before, steve doesn't mean anytthing by it. to him he as introducing his baby to his best friend. Bob will be around crocs all his life, he'd better get used to it now. i'm sure steve had people standing near (off the camera) that he could hand the baby to if it started getting out of hand. steve is so genuine and nice and he loves animals so much, i think it would be great to be his kid :)

blur
01-04-2004, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by G.P.girl
i couldn't have said it better myself!:D
p.s. welcome to pet talk:)

Well thankyou very much! :)

I'm looking forward to getting home later today and getting some pictures of my cats uploaded and ripping into some discussions. I might also upload pictures of the dogs which now live with my parents (since I moved out of home), and take part in the dog forums, too!

G.P.girl
01-04-2004, 08:47 PM
What are your kitties names? what kind of doggies? i can't wait to see pics:D

blur
01-04-2004, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Moose
I'd have to agree that Steve are his wife are a couple of "crocs" themselves...they are absolutely absurd. All I know is if I had my baby in my arms, I wouldn't be getting within 15 feet of anything with a set of teeth like that. :eek:

Well, here's one way of looking at it... Ask yourself what you work with everyday. Is it an animal? A computer? Plants? Whatever it is, I assume that you know it very well, understand it, and aren't hurt by it?

Well, Steve Irwin's reality is crocs. He knows them, understands them, and isn't hurt by them. The teeth might scare the bejeezus out of you (and many of us for that matter!), but we must look at this through Steve's eyes. What he did was no big deal, to his mind, and as a regular, non-media savvy bloke, would never have expected this media-led, holier-than-thou series of attacks.

blur
01-04-2004, 08:54 PM
What are your kitties names? what kind of doggies? i can't wait to see pics:D

Well, although I'll do proper intros elsewhere, I'll briefly say here that their names are Graham and Geoffrey.

Graham is approximately 3 years old, but it's hard to tell as he was a stray that we took into our lives. He's a domestic shorthair with brown/orange/grey(ish) tabby markings, and is incredibly loving and loyal - probably through the kindness we extended to him a couple of years ago when he was the "littlest hobo" with no place to go.

Geoffrey, meanwhile, is approximately 11 weeks old and is a huge bundle of fun. The animal shelter said he was a domestic shorthair, but his face is VERY fine and his ears are very big, so we're speculating that he might be a domestic crossed with a Persian or an Oriental, or similar. He's entirely black, save for a white splash on his chest. What a cutie!

At my parents, I have a Border Collie (Barney) and a Belgian Shepherd (a Groenendael; if I remember what they call the all-black version), called Jack.

gini
01-04-2004, 09:49 PM
Blur, first of all - a big welcome to Pet Talk. I hope we can get to see pictures of your cats and your dogs soon.

I can only express my own personal concern regarding Steve Irwin and his actions with his son.

Regardless of Steve's long profession and experience and his confidence that his son would not be in any danger - why is it necessary to place his son even remotely in harms way?

He is a one month old baby........he deserves better..........he isn't going to remember this experience. Steve can train him carefully when he is old enough to understand.

But Steve has certainly gotten what he knew he would receive - plenty of publicity.

Ah yes, the ratings, we musn't forget the ratings. (living in Los Angeles, this is a BIG thing).

Steve Irwin is the kind of guy that you either love and admire or you just can't stand him.

But enough about Steve Irwin - and I hope you will start a thread and tell us more about yourself and your babies.

tikeyas_mom
01-04-2004, 09:57 PM
Like i said before, steve doesn't mean anytthing by it. to him he as introducing his baby to his best friend. Bob will be around crocs all his life, he'd better get used to it now. i'm sure steve had people standing near (off the camera) that he could hand the baby to if it started getting out of hand. steve is so genuine and nice and he loves animals so much, i think it would be great to be his kid :) i agree :)

Miss Meow
01-04-2004, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by blur
Well, here's one way of looking at it... Ask yourself what you work with everyday. Is it an animal? A computer? Plants? Whatever it is, I assume that you know it very well, understand it, and aren't hurt by it?

Blur, welcome! Nice to see another Australian on Pet Talk :) I lived in Sydney for three years until the end of 2002 - miss the jacarandas but don't miss the humidity ;)

I can't agree with this logic. I drive a car every day, yet statistically, I will have an accident while driving. I cook several times a day, but have burned, stabbed and cut myself numerous times. I pet my cats every day, but sometimes misread or ignore their body language and get bitten during play.

I'm sure Steve set up the situation to be as safe as possible, but I just can't agree with using a one-month-old child as a prop in a stunt.

But I wholeheartedly agree with your earlier post about the media having a field day. It's been blown out of all proportion by the press.

RICHARD
01-04-2004, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by Miss Meow
I cook several times a day, but have burned, stabbed and cut myself numerous times.

Please stay out of the hospital....

their food sucks.

;)

As Senor Irwin walks his baby to the pond....Talk about unhygienic
acts...small kids do not have an bigger person's immunity to disease-- but I digress, an infection or disease isn't the same as getting eaten by a croc.

Watch his eyes in the tape......he is watching the croc, lest he mistake a one month old walking baby as a snack....

Another thing,
a one month old doesn't have the muscles to hold up his head while daddy makes them 'walk'.......That was another thing that bothered me...

trayi52
01-04-2004, 10:48 PM
Look at the picture, tell how safe Steve himself looks, and remember even Even Irwin himself has admitted to having been injured "more times than you can poke a stick at", his words.

G.P.girl
01-04-2004, 10:57 PM
but terri was right there where she could grab him. it probly just looked like he was out there alone but hes usually not.

G.P.girl
01-04-2004, 10:58 PM
oh yeah and as for steve being injured, i'm sure he takes more risks when he doesn't have his kid with him:)

trayi52
01-04-2004, 11:09 PM
That picture looks pretty risky to me, and I am a mother and a grandmother. I would not, could not put any child in danger like that. There are many things that could have gone wrong, how much do you think it would take for that croc to knocked Steve to the ground baby and all? Look at how close he is to that croc.

He can put himself in danger all he wants to, but the child No! Just because he is a popular fellow, doesn't mean he should put a child in danger.

I always get a kick out of watching him myself, but being a mother, I just cannot condone this act at all! People are going to watch him whether he has the baby or not. So why not introduce Bob from the other side of the fence and be safe? Better to be safe than sorry.

Willie

zanzanfergie
01-05-2004, 02:20 AM
Trayi, I'm pretty sure it's just the angle of that picture that makes the crocodile look so close. ;) I've seen other pictures where there's more of a distance between them and the crocodile.

trayi52
01-05-2004, 03:04 AM
I suppose it is just the instinct as a mother and a grandmother, there is no way on god's green earth that I would put any child that close to something that is so unpredictable. A wild animal of any kind is unpredictable.

They may look like old lazy crocodile just lying there, but they can move fast when the need comes and they are hungry enough.

I know when I sit my child down in front of a computer, the only thing to worry about is the computer crashing, I just do not believe the computer is suddenly going to jump up and take my child’s head off.

Just a thought, I wonder if you can tame a croc to lie down and let you give it scratch on its belly. Would you really want to chance it?

Even Irwin himself has admitted to having been injured "more times than you can poke a stick at". So how do you put a one-month-old baby in that danger? I am sorry, but I just cannot find any justification in this act at all. Do you think he let himself be injured or do you think the reason he was injured could be accidental? Always expect the unexpected! Nobody plans an accident, at least not most of us anyway.

Sorry but when it comes to a child’s life; I do not take chances at all. All I can say is let the child observe from a distance and then if, and I did say if he wants to work with the crocs when he is old enough to know, then fine. Babies are so innocent and helpless and they depend on us to keep them safe and out of danger.

To me that is one ugly picture of Irwin holding his baby and that rather huge Crocodile coming up to eat that little piece of chicken. Look at the picture and tell me if you can honestly say the baby was that safe, so many things could have happened. Irwin could have been knocked to the ground himself, then what? LOOK at the Picture....If it was close enough for him to drop the chicken into its mouth I would say that was too close for comfort.

I worry about everything my children does, and my grandchildren. I am just naturally like that. As you grow older, and you have children, you naturally see things going on that makes you hold your breath, if you suspect your child is in danger. Its just an instinct I suppose. You see your child or grandchild riding a bicycle too fast, and you just naturally get nervous for that childs safety, no matter what your child is doing and how old they get. They are always going to be your child, no matter how old they are. My oldest is 31 years old, he drove truck all over the United States, and I as his mother worried.

catland
01-05-2004, 11:24 AM
Roy Horn knew everything there was to know about tigers, but that didn't stop the unfortunate mauling.

Steve wasn't in a pit with a border collie or a lab. He was in a pit with an unpredictable wild animal. While I don't doubt that he would have thrown himself in front of the animal to save his son, it was still a stupid stunt (even though yes, the media is having a field day - probably because he's so unaplologetic about the whole thing and its a slow news day).

trayi52
01-05-2004, 11:38 AM
Catland, you are so right. He probably would have thrown himself in front of the Crocodile. I just wonder if that would have stopped the croc, from getting Bob, perhaps give enough time for somebody to swoop the baby up and taken it to safety?

gini
01-05-2004, 12:02 PM
I have been thinking about this subject and thread and the following question came to my mind.

We have all been discussing Steve Irwin and HIS SON.............
(was it dangerous, was it stupid, was he in control, was it safe?}

IF IT WAS YOUR ONE MONTH OLD SON.......WOULD YOU HAVE ALLOWED STEVE IRWIN TO DO THE SAME STUNT WITH HIM?

tikeyas_mom
01-05-2004, 12:18 PM
i know everyone has mixed feelings about this subject. but i would let Steve do the same thing with my son. i would take pics too, i think it would be a great experience. When i was a year old my mother let a man takepics of my with a lion. i was sitting with it!!! I still have the pic.

RICHARD
01-05-2004, 12:32 PM
Isn't that like letting your son marry Brittney???:rolleyes: :eek: :D

trayi52
01-05-2004, 12:41 PM
His wife was just plain stupid!! If I was his wife, I think I would have said " You wanna do what? with MY son?" and smacked him up side the head!! She was as stupid as him, more so for letting him do it!

Jynnelle, you do not have children yet, so you don't understand how a mothers instinct is. When you mess with our children, we become as visious and a very angry Tiger. Sharp teeth, and very sharp claws!

Willie

RICHARD
01-05-2004, 01:43 PM
Mr. Irwin ALMOST made it into the 'It WAS a good idea at the time Hall of Fame'

Current members-

Karl Wallenda, Dar Robinson, Houdini, John Denver,
Sonny Bono and Otto Lilienthal.

trayi52
01-05-2004, 01:50 PM
Thats tough "hall of fame" to get into, just look at what you have to do to get in there. You gotta be DEAD!!!;) :D

2kitties
01-05-2004, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by gini
I have been thinking about this subject and thread and the following question came to my mind.

We have all been discussing Steve Irwin and HIS SON.............
(was it dangerous, was it stupid, was he in control, was it safe?}

IF IT WAS YOUR ONE MONTH OLD SON.......WOULD YOU HAVE ALLOWED STEVE IRWIN TO DO THE SAME STUNT WITH HIM?

No way in hell.

zanzanfergie
01-05-2004, 04:37 PM
His wife was just plain stupid!! If I was his wife, I think I would have said " You wanna do what? with MY son?" and smacked him up side the head!! She was as stupid as him, more so for letting him do it!

Jynnelle, you do not have children yet, so you don't understand how a mothers instinct is. When you mess with our children, we become as visious and a very angry Tiger. Sharp teeth, and very sharp claws!

Willie
Well, maybe the fact that Terri had no problems with Steve doing it proves something about the safety of the stunt, since she is a mother with that instinct.

(BTW, Trayi, I've been trying and trying to email you to say thankyou, that av was perfect! I can't log in for some reason, so I'll PM you later :))

slick
01-05-2004, 04:43 PM
John Denver
Hey, hey, you're speaking about my hero now ;) ;)

trayi52
01-05-2004, 04:49 PM
Slick I like John Denver too! My daughter bought me his CD that has all his music.

Zan, thats great I am glad it worked for you, if you need anymore just let me know.

Willie

Desert Arabian
01-05-2004, 05:17 PM
I am not upset with this incident that much. I am not as shocked as I was with the Michael Jackson incident.

Steve had the baby in the opposite arm away from the croc and he was poised in a position where he could quickly move if the croc made any advances. I'm sure the croc was more interested in the chicken than in Steve or the baby.

If Steve had the baby on the ground directly in front of the croc, or if he had the baby feeding the croc...that's a whole nother story...I'd be upset then.

Steve is a professional with years of experience under his belt...he is not insane like Michael...he knows what he is doing.

There are far worse things parents are doing to their kids in this world that people should be concerned about. At least he is not starving, beating, raping, murdering, etc his kids.

Just my lame $0.02

G.P.girl
01-05-2004, 11:08 PM
i saw the video and part of an interview with steve today and he wasn't standing THAT close to the croc adn there where tothe rpeople around off the carmera but ready to step in if anything happened. steve was almost speechless with fury that people actually think that he would put him child--the thing he loves most in the world in any kind of danger. atleast he's the kind of father that loves his kids and in involved with them! i think that comparing him to Barbie (MJ) is wrong. he had a reason for taking his kid out there. bob needs to get used to crocs at an early age. :)

trayi52
01-05-2004, 11:35 PM
Okay time for a laugh!! Take a look at this!

micki76
01-05-2004, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by gini

Maybe. I don't like kids.

Just kidding folks! Sorry I couldn't resist! :p

But if I were Steve or his wife, and I knew enough about the animals to personally feel it was safe? Yeah, I might do it, too.

Willie, that's a frightening thing to be showing late at night, when I'm up all alone! :eek:

RICHARD
01-06-2004, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by micki76
Maybe. I don't like kids.

LOL,

Is it they might taste like chicken??;)

cloverfdx
01-07-2004, 07:58 AM
JMO the whole thing did not bother me that much, i an sure the man knew what he was doing and would have had Bob out of there in no time if he they got into trouble.

Micki, Richard too funny :D ;)