PDA

View Full Version : Hyperthyroidism Questions (Cataholic?)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-02-2004, 12:55 PM
I'm taking Peanut in tomorrow (Saturday) for a blood test so the vet can check her for hyperthyroidism. When I had taken her to this vet a few months ago for a UTI, he mentioned that he wanted to check her thyroid levels out after she was back to normal after taking the antibiotics for the UTI.

So in the meantime, I've been doing some research, and that along with the results of her last blood test indicate to me (a totally non-medical person) that she may indeed have hyperthryoidism. It seems she has been extra jumpy lately. I thought that was due to Tubby licking on her, but now I think it's the HT(hyperthyroidism) and I believe she has lost some weight too. When I feel her skin beneath all her fur, it seems she has "extra" skin folds that I don't remember being there before. I think this could also be the reason she's licking herself clean (tummy & legs) although that's been pretty much under control with the prednisolone she takes everyday.

From what I can gather from my research, there are a few things they can do for HT. One is surgery and another is medication. And here are the problems I have with each of those courses of action. I don't know if I could put Peanut through surgery. She's such a sweetie pie, is absolutely terrified of going to the vets, is old (15), is already a skittish sort of kitty, and I just don't know if I could traumitize her as much as surgery is sure to. So you're thinking "Well, go with the medication then." But with the medication, you have to have their blood checked quite often at first to get the dosage correct, and then have to continue to have it checked to make sure the dosage remains correct. As I mentioned, she is absolutely terrified of the vet, and I don't know if I could traumitize her as much as taking her to the vet every week is sure to.

So you can see my dilemma. :( Obviously I want to do what's best for her, but I'm having trouble figuring out what that would be? Would the surgery be the better option because then she's only traumitzed once? Except for the continual blood testing, the medication seems the way to go since she's used to taking a pill a day, so do I just make her suffer through the blood testing?

If this were Tubby, there'd be no question since he doesn't mind the trips to the vet - and actually seems to enjoy them - and he's just so much more.....I don't know....just so much more adventurous and able to "take" things. Peanut is just such a sensitive little girl.....:(

Then I think, so she's a little jumpy and she's lost a little weight, what's wrong with that? What if I didn't do anything? What are the consequences then, can she die of HT? Somehow I don't think so, but my gut feeling is it's just not a good thing and could cause residual problems that would hasten her demise - which is totally unacceptable.

I'm probably putting the cart before the horse since she hasn't even had the blood test yet, and I haven't discussed any of this with the vet either, but I just wanted to hear some of your experiences with HT so I can be better informed when the time comes for me to make a decision.

CatDad
01-02-2004, 01:19 PM
It is a tough decision, and I do not envy you. However, as I read your post I had to smile. Not because it was funny, but I would be doing, feeling and asking the exact same things.

I wish that I had something about HT to share, but I have not had to deal with this. I do have a little girl who is terrified of the vet and I have found that cats (even older ones) can adapt to what they need to. This is just my opinion, but I would go with the pills if that is decision that needs to happen. I say that because anytime that you have to put an older kitty under it is a huge risk. Like I said just my own thoughts.

I would however like to say, relax.:) You have now done research and you will get some opinions from people here. At this point you really can't do anything until the vet does his blood tests and gives his recomendations.

Once you have more informaiton, you have my permission to worry again.;)

Anyway, prayers going out to Peanut. Also prayers of comfort to you.:)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-02-2004, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by CatDad
I say that because anytime that you have to put an older kitty under it is a huge risk.
Another good reason I forgot to mention, thanks for reminding me.

I would however like to say, relax.:) You have now done research and you will get some opinions from people here. At this point you really can't do anything until the vet does his blood tests and gives his recomendations.

Once you have more informaiton, you have my permission to worry again.;)
:D Thanks, I needed that. :D

Anyway, prayers going out to Peanut. Also prayers of comfort to you.:)
Thanks, I needed that too. :D

Cataholic
01-02-2004, 01:59 PM
Debbie,

Step back and take a HUGE breath! As you know, Tex is HT. AND, it is totally simple and easy to care for him. We get blood checked every six months or so...even longer. He is on Methimazidole, which is 'the' drug for HT...and he takes 1/2 tab 2 times a day..total 5 mg. Now, Tex is very easy to medicate (which is a good thing, cause he takes another med in the evening :D ). As to the sir jury, I don't know if you remember, but, I did research it abit. There are some local places (not OH, but, I think IN?) that do the sir jury..which I can't remember the name of now. It is an iodine thingy, right? Tex's meds have been adjusted once...from one whole tab 2x a day to the 1/2 tab. I **think** you can even do it one time a day??? Please check with your vet. Tex is 12.5 years of age, and has spent most of his life vomiting. Now, at least the vomiting is under control, and I thank the medicine he is on for HT.

Now, I can't help you with the vet thing, being scared, since my guys really aren't that bad. But, you could always consider a home vet for that sort of thing? We are only talking twice a year...shoot, you could even find a vet tech that might do it for you.

Please don't let HT be an issue for you guys. It really isn't a big deal. Since Tex has been on the meds, and, I think it has been close to 2 years???, he looks and acts great. He is thin, and I think he has an underlying issue that we can't seem to identify, but, he seems happy. This med **can** cause liver damage, so, the meds in the evening are to combat any liver issues. He just had bloodwork done two weeks ago, and it came back fine. In fact, the vet said it looked great considering I feed him babyfood, which is high in protien, and can cause liver damage. But, it is the only food I can really get him to eat.

If I can answer any further questions, please let me know. Again, don't worry so much if it is HT. It is so treatable! Hugs to all four of you guys!
Johanna

catcrazylady
01-02-2004, 02:33 PM
I understand how scared you must be!! I have kitties that are terrified of going to the vet so I have to take that into consideration when I do things for them. It can cause as much trauma as the illness. From the responses so far it doesn't sound as bad as it could be. Hopefully she won't need anything at all. We will say a prayer that all this is needless worry. I'm sure that in the end it will be worse on you than it will be for her!! It always seems to turn out that way doesn't it??http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/biggrin.gif Hang in there and please keep us posted.

slick
01-02-2004, 02:40 PM
Speckles is somewhat like Peanut in that she hates the vet trips and she's really stressed for a couple of hours after coming home again. Putting myself in your shoes (er....or paws..) I would opt for the pills also. Like CatDad says, sir jury for older kitties is a risk, one that I would not want to take for Specks.

As for CatDad comment

cats (even older ones) can adapt to what they need to

I have seen this with my friends kitty Mojo. Mojo hated the vets, hated anything to do with meds but when Mojo became diabetic, he adjusted really well to meds and shots and eventually lost his fear of the vets.

Good luck Debbie.

Kisses to the furbabies for me please???

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-02-2004, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic
It is an iodine thingy, right? Tex's meds have been adjusted once...from one whole tab 2x a day to the 1/2 tab. I **think** you can even do it one time a day??? Please check with your vet. Tex is 12.5 years of age, and has spent most of his life vomiting. Now, at least the vomiting is under control, and I thank the medicine he is on for HT.

Whew! Thanks so much Johanna, this is exactly what I wanted to hear. :D And actually, I've known Peanut should be tested for the last couple of months, but have been putting it off due to my fears - bad meowmie! But she has thrown up the last two nights in a row, and that's highly unusual for her, so I thought I better make the appointment and start taking this seriously.

I think there is plain ol' sir jury where they might remove part of the thryoid and then there's that iodine thingy. I had remembered you had done research on it and opted against it, so I ruled that out right from the beginning. Peanut is also very easy to pill, so that's one thing I have going for me, and twice a year blood tests she will have to handle if that's what it takes. Some of the things I was reading said until they got the dosage right she might need blood tests, like, every other day or so - which is what got me worried.

Thanks so much for relating your experience and the boost of confidence. :)

Debbie - I know what you mean because I have hypo-thyroidism due to a lump on my thryoid and am taking thryoid medication too. But you're right though, I am going to worry because Peanut is such a sensitive little thing, but I'm just going to try not to worry too much. :)

Thanks guys. I feel so much better already. :D

kimlovescats
01-02-2004, 03:27 PM
It sounds like you have gotten some great advice, and from little I know, I would opt for the medication as well! Prayers and Huggies for both Peanut and you, Debbie!!!

;)

PayItForward
01-02-2004, 04:07 PM
Gosh, I'm lost with all the med talk, so I'll limited myself to wishing Peanut well with her blood test and send {{{hugs}}} for everyone.

Cataholic
01-02-2004, 04:49 PM
Debbie,
I am not a doctor (and I don't play one on TV), but the frequent blood testing WAS NOT what Tex had going on. In fact, my vet never even mentioned it to me. As I recall, we put him on the one pill 2 times a day, then retested him, I am **thinking** three weeks later? And, then, when we went down, I guess we must have retested again...but, sheesh...I really can't recall.

I am willing to call my vet...and I would be happy to do it on Monday, I am doing a transport tomorrow, so, I can't call then. Do you want me to call him and ask just what it was we did? He is a great guy, and I would prolly only talk to the girls. Course, I would have to fill him in, lest he thinks I was questioning his treatment of the T'ster.

Just let me know.

jenluckenbach
01-02-2004, 05:34 PM
I am sorry you might be faced with this hard decision. But nothing is definite yet, so don't panic. When the time comes ask your vet about the risks involved with the surgery and the testing that goes along with the medication.
I know nothing about HT, but I did have a diabetic. He was an angel and I could pill him and inject his insulin and he was an ideal candidate...........EXCEPT for when he needed to have blood drawn at the vet for the blood sugar curves. a procedure that had him stay at the vet for the whole day and draw blood every few hours to see how his levels were doing. He was a holey terror. Many a time I was asked to come get him out of the cage because he was upset. In the end, this is what helped me with the decision to PTS rather than do FURTHER tests when he became very ill at the end. Please, this is NOT to say that Peanut is this bad, I am probably only trying to say that I understand how you feel and that only you really know how much both you and your cat can deal with.
Prayers are on the way that the tests come out with good results.

Sirrahsim
01-02-2004, 06:06 PM
I don't know if this helps, seeing as I'm a human and all, but I'm currently going through treatment for hyperT. When I was diagnosed i was very jittery, was quite thin, always sleepy, and had a heart rate that stayed around 110-120 resting. When they put me on treatment with PTU (maybe just a human drug?) They had me come in every 4 weeks or so for the first few months to have my blood tests looked at, but after that they spread them out to where I only had to come in every 3-6 months. Being a hyperT person stinks at times, but overall it's not too bad. I hope that sweet Peanut is a good kitty for her tests. You can feel quite rotten when your thyroid levels are elevated. But left untreated, it can get more serious and you could have bigger problems than her getting scared when it's time to go to the vet. :( But look at me- I'm hyper T and am alive, well, and am healthy enough to have gotten a hole poked through my tongue! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D :D
Best of luck and lots of comfort in this tough time for both you and your sweet little Peanut!

luckies4me
01-02-2004, 07:02 PM
HT really isn't a big issue. My cat Blacky in California has HT and has been on meds for a few years now. For the longest time I urged my parents to test him for HT as he was losing weight and is fairly old, around 15. Finally they tested him and sure enough he had HT. They ran the test and after the meds he immediately gained back 5 pounds! :D They take him in to run his blood every 6 months or so. A few months ago he did get very sick though. He almost died, parents thought maybe a dog got aholdof him. But they took him to the vet a week later just to be sure and he needed his meds adjusted. He almost died. But he didn't and after adjusting the meds is a healthy boy again. :)

Cataholic is vomiting a sign of HT? Houdini vomits ALL THE TIME! You might remember me posting in Cat Health about this. You would think working at a vet clinic for years I would know this. :rolleyes: I mean she vomits almost every day and I am so tired of cleaning it up, as well as tired of wondering how this must hurt her tummy when she does it. It may just be because she eats too fast. Actually since switching to CSFTCLS, her vomiting has greatly reduced. Sometimes it's just fur balls but sometimes not. It's just chewed up food but she is also a tad skinnier than I would like, and also has heart problems so I think I will go get her tested when I take everyone in for their yearlies and microchips.

Edit: So everyone knows Houdini has already been to the vet several times for this but HT was never mentioned. I don't know how I can get her to stop eating so fast, which is what I really think it causing this. Anyone have any suggestions?

Also Debbie, can you try a Holistic approach to try and calm Peanut before you take him to the vet? Like Bach remedy or something? Here where I live we have a fantastic all natural vet clinic and they come in handy sometimes. :)

Cataholic
01-02-2004, 07:34 PM
Cass,
I don't know that vomiting is a sign of HT. Tex has always vomited. Always. But, it did get to the point where it was very frequent. I had him tested for lots of stuff, but, everything was negative. Since he has been on the HT meds, the vomiting is less, alot less. But, there are some other changes, too. He eats a prescription diet...but, I really don't know how that really helps, since I feed him kitten food, and baby food, too. It is kind of like saying the HT meds helped his vomiting, but, I can't say that vomiting is a sign of HT...I don't really know. I used to think it was an allergy to beef, then, I thought it was some type of acid reflux. It does seem more prevelant in the am, and I can nearly count on vomiting if his food bowls are empty in the am, when I wake up, and he gets fed. He seems to need food in his tum tum all the time.

How is that for an answer?
:D

Miss Meow
01-02-2004, 09:32 PM
Good luck with dear Peanut. I'll be sending lots and lots of good thoughts for her blood test and a peaceful time at the vet's office. I hope the news is good.

iloverat
01-02-2004, 11:14 PM
Peanut is such a doll. I hope all goes well for her when she goes in to see the vet.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-03-2004, 04:35 PM
Thanks for all the replies. :)

Peanut's day was going wonderfully - treats, new catnip mousie, hugs and smoochies from mom, rolling around on the floor with catnip while mom made the bed....then all of that came to a screeching halt when it was time to go to the vet! ;)

She was fine in the car, just a few meows, but there was this dog in the waiting area of the vet that started barking hysterically the second I touched the doorknob to open the door. And he didn't stop until they took him into one of the exam rooms. Then I had to sit next to a lady with the sweetest yellow lab, that kept poking his nose in at Peanut, and then a hyper something or other terrier came in to top it all off. Thank goodness the humungous mastiff/bulldog mix was ushered out the side door. :rolleyes: She was terrified to begin with, then ceaseless barking totally undid her, not to mention all the other doggies. Not another cat in sight until it was about time to head into the exam room - whew! ;)

Everything went well, I had to drag her out of the carrier and then she hid in the crook of my arm, but she finally relented and sat on the scale, making herself as flat as possible hoping nobody could see her then, and everybody would leave her alone - no luck though. ;)

The vet said she looked great and her weight is stable (compared to the last visit) so it's just a matter of waiting for the test results which I should receive on Monday.

Johanna, thanks so much for the offer to call your vet, but I think we'll hold off until we get the results. Then if I have any questions, I'll PM you. You did such a good job of calming me down with your first post that I'm fine with all this....for now. ;) :) Hope your transport went well. :)

Peanut is lounging comfortably in her little bed right now, and her daddy will be home shortly (after being away for two weeks), so I'm sure once he gets home and she gets some snuggle time with him, she'll be good as new again.:)

Thanks for all the well wishes, and I'll be sure and let you all know the test results.:)

Cinder & Smoke
01-03-2004, 05:44 PM
Hey Deb ~

It took ME a while to figure this out...
But I DID ... finally ~

Boots, da Kat, was NOT fond of visits to the White Coat Labs...
untill after he became a Frequent Flier :rolleyes:

I used to just Leave Him IN the Car while *I* went in and did
all the preliminaries (We're HERE; Name; purpose of visit; etc) ~
and then sat by myself amid the Barking Dogs & Howling Kats
untill it was our turn.
A quick dash to the car, fetch da Kat, and then *zip* into the
exam room - he almost never knew *WHERE* he was till is was Too Late!

Same deal after the exam - straight out the door; toss him into the car;
then return to make the next installment payment for Doc's Kids
Kollege Fund :eek:

The No Stress Wait in the Car went a long way towards a more
Happier Kat during the exams!

And in your case - with the PeaNutter safely IN a carrier ~
You'll never have the problem I did on the second or third
"Bootsie, you wait here inna car while Dad runs inside" adventure...

The four of us (Me, Boots, Cinder & Smoke) had arrived with
a minimum of Kat Howling. THEY *waited* while *I* went in Doc's Office...
Came back in 15 min or so to *Fetch da Kat* and go back in...
Only to find :eek: NO KAT!!
"What'd you guys do - EAT da Kat!!???"
"Follow da Leash, Dad... Kat's unner da frunt seat!"

Ever try to Dis-Entangle Wun Kat (towing a 6 foot leash) from
UNDER a car seat? (With Two Dawgs "Helping"??)
Went back in and swapped appointments with the next patient;
and returned to extricate Wun Kat from under the seat...
He then *waited* while firmly Tied to the Steering Wheel with a SHORT leash! ;)

After THAT visit, Boots never seemed to mind sharing the
waiting room with other critters.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-05-2004, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the idea Phred! For some reason that never even occurred to me, but I know I'll try it next time. Peanut has finally forgiven me.

I haven't heard from the vet with the results yet, but I wanted to show you all that everything is right again in Peanutland. Her daddy's finally home after being away for two weeks, and she just couldn't wait for snuggle time.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid97/p7709495e34418c019f708944e8980183/fa1134a6.jpg

Aaaahhhhh.....life is good again.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid97/p5d0a4602fb8dce91dfb28f43a9a4049e/fa1132c0.jpg

:D

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-05-2004, 08:04 PM
There was a message from the vet waiting for me when I got home tonight. They said Peanut's tests all looked fine and everything was stable so there was no need to do anything at this time! I'm glad, but now I'm kinda confused. The vet she went to last time wasn't in on Saturday, so I talked to another one and told her everything the other guy had said. Evidently this vet doesn't feel anything is out of line like the other suspected. Either that, or the UTI Peanut had last time just threw the whole test off. I'll have to call them tomorrow to verify though because the other guy seemed quite adamant that Peanut could have a problem, and this girl seemed to not think anything was an issue. Hmmmmm.....

So I guess I was all worked up and worried about nothing. Sheesh, I hate it when I do that. :rolleyes:

But either way, I gave Peanut extra hugs and smoochies for being such a good girl and also for being a healthy old lady. :D

jazzcat
01-05-2004, 08:28 PM
I'm so glad to hear the test looked fine. Hopefully it will just be a case of the UTI throwing things off.

Give sweet Peanut a hug for me.

jenluckenbach
01-06-2004, 04:48 AM
It's great that Peanut is OK. We always seem to worry unnecessarily, don't we? But I know what you mean by getting 2 different versions of the story from 2 different vets. It can be confusing, but like you said, it could have been the UTI.

CatDad
01-06-2004, 09:00 AM
I am so happy to hear that the tests came back OK.:) It is natural to worry if we think our babies are sick. It is OK. ;)

I would definately talk to the other vet. From the sounds of it the 2 vets work at the same office, I would ask them disscus this too. It would not hurt.

Anyway, give Peanut some hugs for me.:D

catmandu
01-06-2004, 09:27 AM
RB Cat Mr. Scrappy had that , and licked most of his fur off , and lost a lot of weight. But the new Meds worked and soon he was right as rain. Good Luck with your Cats!

Killearn Kitties
01-06-2004, 11:30 AM
Aww, Peanut looks very happy to have her daddy back again! It's good that her tests came back fine. I hope you are reassured once you talk to the other vet.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-14-2004, 10:37 AM
I keep forgetting to post this....old age I guess. :rolleyes:

I had the vet fax me the results of Peanut's blood test so I could compare them myself to the last one. And now I can see why this vet was so unconcerned where as the other one seemed to be quite concerned.

Here are Peanut's thyroid levels from last time. The second numbers are the range of what's considered to be "normal."

T3 74......... 40-150 This one is normal
T4 4.46.......... .8 - 4.0 This one is high
Free T4 6.61.......... .5 - 2.5 This one is extremely high!

And here are the results from the most recent test.

T3 68.......... 40 - 150 This one is normal
T4 2.88.......... .8 - 4.0 This one is much lower and now normal
Free T4 2.71.......... .5 - 2.5 This one is still a little high, but is much lower than it was.

So, if you can make heads or tails of how this is presented, you can see why this vet had no issues with her thyroid. Comparing the two blood tests was rather interesting in other ways too. Some of the other levels last time were high and this time they are either normal or low. I'm thinking that's because last time she had a UTI that her body was fighting.

One of the levels that's interesting is the CPK. I have no idea what that is, but last time it was 966 whereas normal is 56-529. So that one was extremely high! And this time it's 55, which is just below the low level. Evidently CPK has something to do with fighting infections.

The only other level that's interesting is her Triglycerides. Normal is 25-160 and last time she was at 171 which is high, but not too bad, and this time she is at 253 which is getting up there. Anybody know what triglycerides are?

Anyway, just thought I'd give you this update. After seeing the test results I didn't bother calling to ask why one vet was so concerned and the other wasn't. I could see for myself.

But all in all, I think I've got a pretty healthy old bag on my hands. ;) :D

K & L
01-14-2004, 10:43 AM
Geez....how did I miss all this? I'm SO glad to hear little Peanut is OK (you know how I just love Peanut). I'm sorry I missed this and am just now responding. I wasn't on PT much over the holiday's due to being ill and very busy. I hope all remains well!