PDA

View Full Version : Binx update

Cataholic
01-02-2004, 09:36 AM
Jen L PM'd me this am, asking about Binx and the letters, and I remembered I hadn't updated you all in awhile. I live with this so intimately, that I forget not everyone else is sharing our journey so closely.

I sent about 137 letters out on December 2...and have had lots and lots of responses, both by mail, email and phone. Here is what I told Jen...

I **just** had a meeting with Dr. Auvil (Binx's main dental vet) on Wednesday, 12/31. We compared notes...some people called him instead of me. I put together an excel spreadsheet with all the names, and the people's opinions. I printed the many emails I recieved, and am letting Dr. Auvil read them. There were lots of suggestions, most of them on target with aggressive gingivectomies. That means, cutting the gum back, aggressively, in a different format than before. Some people suggested selective teeth removal, some suggested total tooth removal, with the idea that the teeth 'cause' bacteria that stimulates the growth. Some people suggested some experimental stuff, cortisone injections (not that steriods are 'experimental', but, in this situation, it would be), radiation, and some other chemical treatments in conjunction with the gingivectomy. We are planning on a gingivectomy in the same lower quadrant that has the one tooth **still** exposed, and do the biopsy and bloodwork to send to different people for more research/study. The way Dr. Auvil explained it...no point in wasting an anethesia just for biopsy work. We are planning this in January, hopefully with a local periodontist involvement. There is one man that wants to come and partake in the sir jury...I think he is from the east coast.

All told, I received about 50 responses to the 137 or so letters sent out. Impressive, IMO. Some people said, "sorry, don't know anything"...some people just made me feel so good...wishing Binx a Merry Christmas, asking me to give him a kiss and a hug (these letters nearly made me cry), and lots of people want to help.

I have set aside my Christmas money, and my bonus....all specifically to offset the bills that are just around the corner. Do I regret this situation? Sometimes. I get so frustrated at his frustration, the mess, the odd stares and comments, what seems the hopelessness of the situation. Then, the next morning comes, and there he is, sleeping on his bed, ready to greet the day. His tail wags when I talk to him, he has such a wonderfully easy personality. He is more like a cat than a doggie, I swear. Content just to be.

I will let you know what happens,
Johanna

Karen
01-02-2004, 09:48 AM
He is more like a cat than a doggie, I swear. Content just to be.

Nah - he's a perfect St. Bernard. That's just how they are! I am glad to hear the update, you will of course let us know when the visit to Sir Jury is so we can get the prayers winging, okay?

Give that big boy a great big hug from me!

Stenograsaurus
01-02-2004, 10:04 AM
I was just thinking of Binx last night and how much I admire you for all you are doing for him. He is worth every bit of work you have to put into him, isn't he? Thanks for the update. I will continue to keep him in my prayers.

DoggiesAreTheBest
01-02-2004, 10:14 AM
Thank you for your update. I often think of you and Binx.

Odd stares? From whom? Other people? Don't worry about them. So long as he and you are happy. I would be staring at Binx too! In awe and adoration of course :)

Hugs and kisses to Binx!

Cataholic
01-02-2004, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by DoggiesAreTheBest
Odd stares? From whom? Other people? Don't worry about them. So long as he and you are happy. I would be staring at Binx too! In awe and adoration of course :)

Thank you for saying that! ;)

gini
01-02-2004, 10:55 AM
I have mentioned to you before that you are my personal hero for taking Binx in to your life and doing everything possible for him.

Odd stares and comments? Just think, those people don't have even half of what you have.........in spirit and the joy of receiving all of that love from Binx.

If I was there, I would lean down and whisper sweet nothings into his ear........he is so very special.

Thanks for the update, and as Karen asked, let us know when his Sir Jury is so we can open the floodgates of prayers for him.

ramanth
01-02-2004, 11:12 AM
Awww! Thanks for the uppiedate Johanna. :) We love you Binx!!!

Moose
01-02-2004, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the update. You guys will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. :)

pitc9
01-02-2004, 12:54 PM
God Bless you, Binx and the people and Dr.'s that are trying to help Binx!

slick
01-02-2004, 12:59 PM
Thanks for the update. Please let us know as soon as you know a sir jury date so we can get the extra strong PT prayers happening. Please give Binxie a kiss from me.

Cincy'sMom
01-02-2004, 02:35 PM
I'm glad so many people have reposnded and taken an interst in Binx. He sure deserves it!! You both do, for all you have been through trying to find the answer for him.

I know Binx gets lots of people staring at him at the Dog park...just cause we all love him so much and have fun watching him play wether it is witha soccer ball, or with Ruthie :)

mugsy
01-02-2004, 03:14 PM
I think Binx is just perfect the way he is. I just want him to be comfortable. He is such a great dog. Thank the people who stare for being so enamored with your dog, because you sure are. Give him hugs and kisses from the Kendall Krew. If there is anything we can do to help, please don't hesitate to ask.

KYS
01-02-2004, 04:40 PM
Thank you for the Binxie update.
Poor thing, you both have been through so much.
I think it is wonderful all the responses you got.
As for people staring, It's just because he is
so special. :)

Karen (((^..^)))

lizbud
01-02-2004, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Karen
Nah - he's a perfect St. Bernard. That's just how they are! I am glad to hear the update, you will of course let us know when the visit to Sir Jury is so we can get the prayers winging, okay?

Give that big boy a great big hug from me!

That's exactly what I was thinking Karen.:D Thanks for the
update on progress towards a solution to Binx's condition. When
they find (not IF, but When) a procedure to help Binx, I think the
procedure should be named in Binx's honor. He'll be famous.:D
Come to think of it, he already is. LOL. Hugs to the big boy.:)

apcrs5122
01-02-2004, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the update. I just want to let you know that I admire you for everything you are going through for Binx. He is such a wonderful dog, and gorgeous. Let us know when he goes to sir jury so we can wish him luck and send prayers (like Karen said:)).

Give him a giant sqeeze and a big kiss for me!;) :D

Miss Meow
01-02-2004, 08:20 PM
I was nearly crying while reading about the replies you've received from your letters.

You're so brave doing this, and loving and generous and kind. Binxy does and will keep repaying your efforts for many, many years to come :)

tikeyas_mom
01-03-2004, 04:17 AM
aww just like a st bernard to be cat like hey
?? ;)

RobiLee
01-03-2004, 06:05 AM
Johanna, I think you are a terrific person and doing a great job with Binx. He is a wonderful dog. I pray every day that something will be done for him. Hopefully soon. It broke my heart to listen to your frustrations for him. It must be so hard. Especially dealing with the stares from other people. You just have to ignore those fools. You know what a great dog he is and I know what a great dog he is. Even my Katie knows what a great dog he is. I have noticed at the last 2 dog park meetings that Katie has been drawn to Binx and they have hung around each other quite a bit. He is a very well behaved dog and you should be proud of yourself. I will be thinking of you both and wishing you all the best and can't wait to see you at the next dog park meeting.

Hugs....Robin :)

Katie and Binx hanging out at the watering hole
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid85/p01770b11b19621353b4f498bb0851d1c/fac6a430.jpg

delidog
01-03-2004, 06:29 AM
Thank you for the update on Sweet Binx!!!!!
Whatever do you mean...odd stares andlooks.......
Silly Humans...They are just in Awe of Binxs' Beauty!!!!!!
What a Wonderful Pupper He is!!!!!!
Good luck.....Let us know....we are praying for Sweet Binx!!!

Cataholic
01-03-2004, 05:07 PM
I think I finally stumbled on one 'answer' to a Binxie problem..the eating time. Now, I am sooo hesitant to post this, as maybe tonight was just a fluke, but, Binx again ate ALL 4.5 cups of food at one sitting! It seemed like a very easy time of it...now, are you ready for what is different?

Well, I had been using one of those two sided plastic elevated feeder bowls. Not only did it move (on a rug, on rubber), but, it used to get so messy/dirty, and Binx knocked food everywhere. Today, Travis and I were at petsmart, and I was actually looking for another feeder set for him to keep at his house. We saw these big bowls...BIG...like nearly 12" across. BIG! It looks like a horse bowl! But, no container to set it in. So, I bought two of them-water and food, and we went next store to Bed, Bath and Beyond...and you know those plastic round garbage containers, with the lid you can flip around and around? Well, the bowls fit perfectly! PERFECTLY. AND, it is the most perfect height for Binxie. He doesn't have to move at all...he just walks right up to it. I have pics, but, don't know when I will load them.

Most importantly, he ate everything. His big 'ole head AND gums were able to fit right in there....and he ate, and ate and ate! I am so silly to not have thought of this before, I know it. But, I know it now!

primabella
01-03-2004, 05:40 PM
Jo, you are an angel to do all this for Binx. He is still in my prayers. And I'm so happy that Binx's eating problem has improved! Hopefully it wasn't a fluke at all. You go through a lot of trouble to make Binx happy. :)

Thanks for the update. :)

dukedogsmom
01-03-2004, 07:47 PM
I was reading at work too and almost cried. I hope he'll get to be more of a normal pup soon. I know you both have been through so much. There's a reason he came to be with you. Don't give up hope. Surely you will see some light at the end of the tunnel soon.

Sudilar
01-03-2004, 08:00 PM
Binx is so lucky to have met his Angel! I believe certain dogs are meant for certain people. I know the frustration you are talking about when you want so badly to help your furpup and sometimes it seems like a dead end, but you don't give up. You don't give up til you find something to help, at all costs. Lucky Binx to have you! Good luck on finding a solution and be sure to keep us up-dated! Hugs.

slick
01-03-2004, 09:19 PM
Oh Binxie did you like that new bowl your Mommy bought you??? You must have because you ate up all your dinner. You are such a lucky doggy to have such a wonderful Mommy and family that loves you so much that they would do anything to find a solution to your problem. Don't worry about your teefies. I'm praying they will be fixed soon.

Bless you Johanna. I can hardly wait to see pictures :) :)

shais_mom
01-03-2004, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the update Jo.
I just love Binxie boy. He is such an angel and he has the bestest mommy in all the world!!!

Cataholic
01-04-2004, 05:58 AM
As always, you guys are so supportive of our endeavor! It makes me feel so good to know you all are behind us every step of the way.

The big bowls were a success again this am. Here they are! Notice Binx doesn't have to bend an inch? How funny is that! I **just**got back from the market, so, no cracks on the food still out..he he he....

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid97/p65d2cc375760911c74cebf890e367e19/fa133243.jpg

Sudilar
01-04-2004, 09:42 AM
Absolutely perfect!!!! I hope it continues to work!!! Awwww, Binx is sooooo handsome!!!

RubyMutt
01-04-2004, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by DoggiesAreTheBest
I would be staring at Binx too! In awe and adoration of course :)

Ditto! Any more photos of Binx to go along with this update?? ;)

Thanks for posting this, I've been thinking about him :) I love his new food bowl - great idea! Be sure to keep us PTers updated on Binx's progress :)

lizbud
01-04-2004, 12:27 PM
Hey, great idea with the new food bowls.:D What is they say
about necessity being the mother of invention. Right that and
a good momma who is always thinking of ways to help her baby
boy Binix too.:) Must have been sorta fustrating for him to eat from the smaller unsteady bowls. These look perfect for his size
and height. Good job. :D

captain
01-06-2004, 12:19 AM
Johanna,

LOVE those food bowls!!! Just the thing for a lovely, large, hunk of LOVE called Binx!

As for the people who stare at Binx - just point them out to me, I'll take "care"of them :mad: ........... and you can be my LAWYER!!! :D
(or would that be a conflict of interest??) :D

Cinder & Smoke
01-29-2004, 02:04 PM
With some GOOD Vibes about Mr. Binx! :)

"I have been quiet, haven't I?
Just lots going on, busy at work, busy at Binx'ville, busy...

Binx had some sir jury late yesterday afternoon.
Dr. Auvil and the hooman periodontist did it...
$1500 dollars worth. YIKES!
But, I had the money ear marked for the surgery.
It was mostly biospy work, though they did some stuff to a
small section, using steriods, and removal of teeth.

I visited last night about 830,
but, Dr. Auvil thought an overnight was best.
Binx lifted his head when he heard me, but,
he was really still out of it.
So, I picked him up at 10, and he was glad to see me,
and wanted to go home!
I took him home and stayed for a few minutes, gave him some wet food,
and came back to work.
I will go home at 5, so, he really won't be alone long, 5 hours.

I mailed three sample packs last night, and all three have recieved them.
I mailed two more this am, as I didn't have all the special boxes I needed.
They will get them tomorrow am. Dr. Auvil is sending some tissue
to a local cancer doc here, for comment, and some lab work.
I am mailing some xrays to this guy in New Jersey.
He is the guy I think I want to do the sir jury.
I am going to drive to him....
he has said Binx and I can 'board' with he and his wife.

So, by mid february, I really hope to have some sort of plan lining up.
This gives the people studying the tissue a chance to comment.
So, of the 150 letters I sent out, I narrowed it down to 7-8 people
that I now consider 'critical' to Binx's health, excluding Dr. Auvil
and the surgeon here. I hope all the minds will come up with some plan.

Monte, the newest state, was nuetered on Tuesday. What a vet week this was!
He has made a full recovery.
Too full! He is such a NawTeeKat.
He chases and chases Allie, Georgia and Minnie around.
Well, he doesn't chase Minnie, since she doesn't run, but, still,
he bothers her.

That is my life right now. Pretty anxiety filled with the pets....
I just keep reminding myself that this, too, will pass.
I just want Binx healthy.
I think about him nearly every hour of my day.
It is kind of emotionally wearing, you know?

Thanks for asking! /s/ Johanna"
----------------------------------------

THANKS for that BinxDate, Joh!!

We're ALL so glad the Sir Jury went well for Binx AND Monte!!

Hope you don't mind my posting your note ~
But I tought you'd like folks here to learn some Positive News about
The Herd;
and save you some typing time -
Time better spent helping the Surgical Patients with their recoveries!

Our BEST Pet Talk *WISHES* for speedie recoveries to the
LARGEST and smallest Members of The Herd!

{{{HUGS}}} to You & The Herd!! ;)

ramanth
01-29-2004, 02:15 PM
Woo!! So glad Binx's surgery went well! :D Monte's too. :)

And Thanks Johanna (and Phred :D ) for the uppiedate! :)

Fingers crossed and still praying for the big goof. :)

Miss Meow
01-29-2004, 02:43 PM
Thanks for the update :)

I got tired from reading about everything that Jo's been doing; I can only imagine how exhausted she is! I'm glad it was good news and there's a team ready to help Binx to the next phase. Will keep sending good thoughts to Jo, Binxy and the states :)

My Peanuts
01-29-2004, 03:53 PM
I was just wondering how Binx was doing. I'm so glad to hear his surgery went well. Thanks for the update.

Kater
01-29-2004, 04:03 PM
I have been hoping for a Binixe update!

I am so glad that the tremendous effort put into those letters has yielded some results. I only wish you were coming to Wisconsin instead of New Jersey! Phooey! ;)

Prayers for a full & speedy recovery, Binx!

LOL @ Monte the NawTeeKat!

And please don't forget to take care of yourself too, Johanna!!!

{{{HUGS}}}

SadiesDad
01-29-2004, 04:19 PM
For whatever reason, whenever I log in a try top post, it says I am not logged in, so I thought I;d try Ralph's account....

Anyway, Thanks for the update Phred (and Jo). I have been thinking baout Binx this week and wondered where Jo has been. Glad to hear things are moving ahead. I hope this will help determine what is going on with Binx and how he can be help. We all want him to get better.

Hang in there Binx, We all love you!!

Hugs to the states as well!!!

popcornbird
01-29-2004, 04:20 PM
Oh wow! I missed this thread while I was on vacation. I've been wondering about Binx, and it sure is good to hear you recieved so much response. Your strong devotion to your pets really touches my heart. Speedy recovery to Binx! Wow! You've been busy this week. Now I know why you haven't been online! I've missed you! Keep us updated, and take care of Binx, the kitties, as well as yourself!

*hugs*

Ps. I love Binx's new food bowl! :D

mugsy
01-29-2004, 04:50 PM
Oh yeah!! I'm glad he's recovering and they have some direction. That means that Binxy should be feeling much better by the time we go to Findlay!!:D

Thanks for the update Jo and John.

dukedogsmom
01-29-2004, 06:53 PM
It's almost the end of January so let us know if he's had the surgery. I'm so glad he has someone like you to love him and take care of him. Best of wishes.

Cinder & Smoke
01-30-2004, 08:26 PM
Hey BINX ~

How are you and Monte feelin??

Hope your both getting back to "normal" :p ~
With You and Monte chasing the Herd. ;)

Cataholic
02-01-2004, 01:22 PM
Well, today is Sunday, and Binx's sir jury was on Wednesday night. Other than breaking open the one suture that closed a half inch hole, bleeding on and off cause he won't leave the chew toys alone, eating five cups at a time, and pulling me all over in the snow, Binx seems pretty back to normal. He is still taking antibiotics, and the vet said there really isn't anything to do about the stitch coming loose, and he can do whatever he can tolerate. So, we are back to normal. I **think** we can expect results from various people mid February. I will call the doctor in New Jersey later this week, and ask him about the xrays I sent him, and try to figure out a time to drive on over there. Why does it have to be so snowy in the winter, WHY? It might make driving a bit precarious.

Monte is Monte, but, I think he has worms. UGH. The antibiotics he was on after his nueter seemed to bring them out, if you know what I mean. So, we will call the vet tomorrow. Fun.

tatsxxx11
02-01-2004, 01:32 PM
So glad to hear that dear Mr. Binx is healing well after his sir jury...even if he did pop a tooth on his zipper! I hope and pray, Johanna, that all of your hard work will pay off... and finally Binx will get the treatment he so desperately needs. What a devoted furmom you are and what a brave boy the Binxster is:) BIG hugs to you Binx!

And many thanks Phred for the update, too!!!

mugsy
02-01-2004, 01:44 PM
Thanks Jo! I'm glad Binx is feeling like himself. Sorry about the worms for Monte. Let us know when you hear from NJ! Give the brood a hug from the Kendalls.

captain
02-01-2004, 02:37 PM
Oh Binxy Boy ............ so glad you are recovering!!! Monte, get "de-wormed" soon :D

Jo, hugs to you across the miles!

gini
02-03-2004, 10:57 AM
Dear Binx - just sending you a big hug today - and some for your Mom!