PDA

View Full Version : What was the highlight of 2003 for you?

RobiLee
01-01-2004, 07:49 AM
Hi All,

I hope everyone is well this New Year. I hope everyone had a great time last night and stayed safe. I watched the ball drop last night and it was a bittersweet feeling for me. I am so glad that 2003 is over with. It was an awful year for us. I had to deal with being ill and having pain to being diagnosed with cancer and get through the surgeries and treatments, plus my husband had to deal with his own little hospital stay. We are both looking forward to having a great 2004! I will even be turning 40 this year and that doesn't even bother me(not yet anyway..lol). I'm thinking about throwing myself a big ol party!

While we were talking about the past year. I asked everyone what the highlight of 2003 was for them. My husband and I had the same answer. In Feb. we celebrated our 20th anniversary by taking a trip to Key West. It was fantastic there. Loved it. We had the best time. My husband was a true romantic and took along lots of candles and other sweet things and the the topper was a brand new wedding ring set for me. It was beautiful! I had no idea that he had did all of this. I cried like a big ol baby. I love that man of mine. Sorry for getting mushy. Our other highlight was getting Katie. We got her at a time when we were both feeling very low and scared about what was going to happen to me. Katie was everything we needed and more. She has given us so much joy. I am cancer free right now and we are going to enjoy 2004 to the fullest!

So, your turn, What was the highlight of 2003 for you?

Happy New Year Everyone......Robin :)

DoggiesAreTheBest
01-01-2004, 07:59 AM
The highlight of my year was my father and my husband finally meeting! Andrew and I have been married since May 2001 and my father just got to meet him in November.

RobiLee
01-01-2004, 08:03 AM
Thats fantastic. Did they seem to like each other and get along? I'm so happy for you. Must have been great to have the 2 men in your life finally meet face to face.

Robin :)

neko1
01-01-2004, 08:18 AM
Getting married!:)

amoore
01-01-2004, 08:35 AM
I got Tiny! No, not my size. I mean my Chihuahua, named Tiny! :D

I got a computer.:D

I found PetTalk!:D

Tiny
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid84/pfa15b3f1139abae910268a954d5ec278/fad13687.jpg :)

DoggiesAreTheBest
01-01-2004, 08:40 AM
Yes, Robin! They got along famously! They had been in touch through email and the phone, but they hit it off very well when they finally met in person. Plus, my Dad got to meet Drake and fell in love with him too! (Dad is not an animal person :))

Tina
01-01-2004, 08:46 AM
Mine is when my little baby girl was born Maegan Marie:D

Tonya
01-01-2004, 08:49 AM
Great thread!

My highlights were:
The day the doctor told me that every other doctor was wrong, Jaden wasn't autistic. For some reason, I trusted him and held onto every word that he said. With this doctor's help, my son has done a complete turn around this year! He's so ahead, that the teacher thinks we should bump him up a grade. :D

lbaker
01-01-2004, 08:53 AM
Mine was having my D-in-law Jenny recover from a serious illness and major surgery. Worst was having my CheekyDog die December 2. Souraya, good to hear from you. HOW'S DRAKE! I miss him soooo much. (I know, that sounds silly doesn't it :rolleyes: )

Cookiebaker
01-01-2004, 08:55 AM
The highlight of 2003 is we found Willow in the summertime!! :)
http://www2.innevi.com/~emenay/newwil3.JPG

Also, my hubby Mark didn't lose his job. :p He was supposed to get laid off January 1; but they have now postponed it indefinitely. Yay!

We have been blessed with good health; a warm home; food to eat; and all those other things that we take for granted so easily!!

lovemyshiba
01-01-2004, 09:50 AM
I started my job last January 3--I love it, and I'm so glad I found it. I have made some great friends there, and I always go to work with a smile on my face.
We bought our first house together--it has been an adventure, from a leaky basement, to a touchy hot water heater, and all of the finishing up work we did, but I am very thankful to have it, and love our house.
We got Riley in March--he was just a baby, and I'm so proud of him, because he is the friendliest, happy-go-lucky pup, and I know we helped form that.
We got Jada in September--she has brought so much joy to us, and we saved her from the spca. She has been an incredible dog.

All in all it was a good year, and I am looking forward to a wonderful 2004!!

Pam
01-01-2004, 09:51 AM
RobiLee that was beautiful. I hope and pray that 2004 will be a year of Health and Happiness for you and your hubby both! He sounds very romantic!! ;) 2003 was the year I found my Ripley. I was sort of half-looking for a sibling for Bella and I walked in a shelter last January and there he was, a matted filthy mess of a doggie but such a sweet boy underneath. I wasn't there looking for a dog, but had just gone along for the ride with my daughter who was returning some paper work for a cat she adopted two months before. We walked through the kennel just on a whim. Ripley is my first rescue and I know I was meant to be there that day as he was just brought in the night before as a stray and I got to fill out the first application for him. He fit like a glove into our household! ;)

These stories are all so sweet. Keep 'em coming! ;)

Toby's my baby
01-01-2004, 09:57 AM
Happy New Year Everyone!!

My highlight's were, Discovering Pet Talk, Getting my horse Austin, Getting my kitten C.P, o, and I almost forgot to mention my new addition Coral, a Betta Fish!

GoldenRetrLuver
01-01-2004, 10:24 AM
It was an awful year for us.

My dad was diagnosed with Skin Cancer a few months ago, (don't worry, he's okay now. :)) And a good friend of mine passed away from Cystic Fibrosis in late May.

I'm really hoping 2004 is a better year. :)

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
01-01-2004, 12:09 PM
Gavin being born!

Amber
01-01-2004, 12:21 PM
Its been a bit of an awful year too...

My Granpa passed away from some type of cancer, and my aunt passed away from some type of cancer.

The only good thing was getting Gracie in the summer time!

Cincy'sMom
01-01-2004, 01:10 PM
in Chronological order...

Saving Spot from a shelter the day after he was to be PTS in March

Many, many PT meetings :)

Going to Vegas for our anniversary in Nov

Getting to do a number in our dance show with Cincy ( and ny dad surprising me by coming home a few days early and being there)

CountryWolf07
01-01-2004, 03:49 PM
Meeting Chris Cagle, Jimmy Wayne, and Lonestar.. definitely being up onstage with Lonestar in front of 4,000 people is one of the biggest highlights of my life.. along with graduation from highschool and passing my 1st semester of college!! :)

tikeyas_mom
01-01-2004, 03:50 PM
the highlight of 2003 for me was getting Baby my great dane pup :p

getting pippin, merry, and rosie.

Welcoming Darwin *second cousin* into the world :)..

apcrs5122
01-01-2004, 04:09 PM
Garrett was born!!!

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid96/pb8e96bf468273e279baeb6573bec54ed/fa1c802c.jpg
Like son, like father;)

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid96/pd6d2175cec2f203a96d3f97385e62cf5/fa1c8029.jpg
Smile!

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid96/p269d4dace706b1d49bc85188205a5c0a/fa1c8031.jpg
Garrett with the dog, Buddy

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid96/pf4553de561c910ef8d0f7b8a9be5e959/fa1c802e.jpg
Garrett in his camoflauge (dad hunts), and trust me, his feet aren't that big:p

micki76
01-01-2004, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by GoldenRetrLuver
It was an awful year for us.

I'm really hoping 2004 is a better year. :)

Same for me.

primabella
01-01-2004, 04:19 PM
I'm sorry for those of you who has a bad year. :(

Mine wasn't anything great either. My highlight was being able to raise Mickey, teach him tricks and just spend time with him. :)

petlover
01-01-2004, 05:25 PM
Getting Freeway was definately the highlight of my year. God I love that horse!!:D
Also, meeting Kaylin ( countrycowgirl) was definately a great highlight in 2003.

jenfer
01-01-2004, 05:25 PM
Definitely Gigi. :) Also going home to visit my parents, Chilli & friends.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid96/p4f0778bcdc3c8fe4e865f9581f45c0b1/fa1c47ed.jpg

krazyaboutkatz
01-01-2004, 05:29 PM
Well 2003 started out very badly for me. My cat Pepper became very sick and had to be put to sleep on Feb.3, 2003.:( Thankfully I was already a member of Pet Talk and everyone here helped me get through this terrible time in my life.

My highlights of 2003 were:
Adopting Cirrus in March 2003
Adopting Sky in June 2003
Meeting many new Pet Talker's: Gini,Kelly,Richard,Pam,Laurie,Karen,Aaron,Sara & Don
Attending many Cat Shows with AmberLee

Hopefully 2004 will be a better year for everyone and for me too.
:)

Cinder & Smoke
01-01-2004, 06:55 PM
Allua *travulin* we did to go to Pet Talk Gathurinz! :)

An allua Pet Talk Buddiez we gotz ta meet! :D

We went to...

FINDLAY Bark Park so mennie tymes da Kar knowez da way now!!

Mishegun fur Kia's B-Day Partee!

Kettering fur da Bark Inna Park Partee!

Whut a PHUNN Summer an Fall we had!!!!
Hope we see EbberBuddie agin inna Spring!! ;)

CathyBogart
01-01-2004, 07:01 PM
Adopting Wilbur, getting my ratties, and getting engaged!

Desert Arabian
01-01-2004, 07:01 PM
Good:
~ SAMMY!! We got Sammy in May! The coolest catdog anyone could ever have!! (((hugs))) I LOVE YOU SAM!
~ Six weeks of horse camp
~ Getting my red scarf @ camp, the 3rd highest level (of 4 levels) for horsemanship.
~ Mom telling me I could get a horse/mule
~ Spring break in Kentucky & Tennessee, staying @ a horse ranch also visiting Keenland, Kentucky Horse Park, and the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

Bad:
~ Princess Peanut passed away in September, still not recovered from that and miss her terribly.

mugsy
01-01-2004, 10:13 PM
Other than the PT meetings....the highlight was midnight 12/31...we can start another year....it has to get better. Our '03 really sucked!

slick
01-01-2004, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by mugsy
Our '03 really sucked!
My 2003 wasn't really a banner year either. I had financial troubles, work didn't go well and I lost a few friends (or shall I say, people that I thought were friends....)

but.....that's nothing to cry about.

The highlight of 2003 for me was that I have shared many good times with my new friends at Pet Talk and I really look forward to meeting some of you this year in purrson. I've never really known a support group so strong as this one and believe me I feel closer to you all than I do to my immediate family. Thank you so much.

cloverfdx
01-02-2004, 02:08 AM
2003 was a realy bad year for me aswell. My cousin died in January, along with a few friends of the family. My *Censored* so called father left in about July (with some woman he met on the net).

the only real highlight of the year is getting my lil man Elvis :D he is the sweetest lil pup *i'm in love*:)

So heres hoping the new year will be alot better for everyone :)

RobiLee
01-02-2004, 07:18 AM
Wow, I am so touched by all of the replies. Keep them coming people. I'm so sorry to those that have gone through difficult times. Hang in there everyone, because 2004 is gonna be the best ever!

I'd like to add a few more highlights to my list:

My beautiful sister was married in April and it was a great little family wedding. Everything turned out so fantastic and my son's band even played at the reception. My sister was so pretty and I swear she was glowing all day. I was so happy and excited for her. That happiness stayed with me for several days after the wedding. I love that little sister of mine!

Another highlight that I left out is PET TALK. Geesh, I don't know what I would do without Pet Talk. I am so gald that I discovered it. Pet Talk is always there and I can talk all about my dog, which I love to do, or I can talk about anything else that might be going on in my life. All the people here are great! I love all my fellow Pet Talkers!

Also I have to include the Findlay dog park meetings. What a great get together. I love them and am looking forward to going to more. I have met some really great people and dogs and even a hairless cat ! ;) I was even lucky enough to meet Karen and Paul and what great and caring people they are. Katie loves it and gets to have a great time with the other pups. Can't wait to see you all again!

Hugs....Robin :)

Sevens
01-02-2004, 08:17 AM
There were a few high points for me this year. I was married in March to the man I love. We adopted Bailey in February and we adopted Guinness in July. Also, my sister met a really nice guy in April and they are now talking about getting married before next Xmas.

My low points would have to be with my two grandmothers. One passed away from ovarian cancer in October and we almost lost the other one due to depression over severe back pain. She was pretty much starving herself to death and was working on becoming bedridden. We couldn't save the first grandmother, but another high point is that we were able to save the second one. I found her a doctor who actually listened to her and worked with her. It was that doctor who pulled her out of the depression and saved her life.

clara4457
01-02-2004, 08:50 AM
I actually had a pretty good year - much better than 2002.

I discovered Pet Talk in March - met so many great people, and am looking forward to the next Pet Talk gathering I can attend.

I bought my very first house in April. After years of saving and dreaming, it finally happened.

I adopted Penny Lane in May. She has brought a new level of happiness to my life. Even with the problems I had with her when I first adopted her (both financially and emotionally) - she has helped me grow as a person and pet owner.

My volunteer work at the shelter has grown in scope, so I am starting to feel like I am truly making a difference. The shelter staff is beginning to trust me and let me into the inner workings more.

RICHARD
01-02-2004, 02:46 PM
I lucked out and I ended up getting all of my seniority back, along with some extra ducats.

I got to stand less than 100 yards away from the runway as the airshow airplanes took off....
I could TRY and describe it to you but you would not be able to hear me over the noise!

Getting to go to the July BBQ!

Finding out my friend's daughter wasn't really kidnapped.....altho that was a story in itself!

I went to some great concerts.....Lucinda Williams!!

My nephew getting his son back.

AHRNOLD!!

Felix B flying across the English Channel

Simon and Garfunkel getting back together....NOT!

Maybe seeing the 'Roadmap to peace in the Middle East' taking off and people getting an idea that it's safer to live thinking you don't like someone-rather than acting on it....

Mars, eclipses, meteor showers and all of God's special little displays and of just how small we are in HIS big world.....
--------------------------

downers???

The Columbia....God what a friggin nightmare.

The war. But happy that it was not the war everyone predicted.

RobiLee
01-03-2004, 09:25 PM
:) :D :) :D :) :D

dukedogsmom
01-04-2004, 03:27 AM
Several good things happened last year. We gave my mom a great surprise retirement party. Even had brother and wife from Maryland fly down. And, her school is going to name a new building after her. I told her she's an icon now. She had been their guidance counselor for a long time.
Also, KayAnn introduced Duke and me to the dog beach. I can't believe how much fun I've been missing all these years. She's become a great friend and I've even learned some photography tricks from her.
Lastly, was that Chance finally got a home for Christmas. There were a lot of ups and downs but I'm so happy it turned out for the better.
Now, maybe this year will bring me not only a dog loving but animal loving man. I can dream, can't I?

wolf_Q
01-04-2004, 12:32 PM
The highlight of 2003 for me was definitely our trip to Ohio. I had a great time and feel lucky to have met so many great Pet Talkers. I wish I lived closer so I could attend another meeting. I really, really hope that the meeting at Best Friends will happen next year, and I will be able to meet many more wonderful Pet Talkers. :D

Some more that I can think of...Nebo's first birthday in May, and also Strut your Mutt. :)

Mario9012
01-04-2004, 10:03 PM
Umm... graduating to junior high school.

dukedogsmom
01-05-2004, 10:05 PM
I thought this was a good topic so I'm bumping it.