PDA

View Full Version : Shasta Has Departed . . . :(

AvaJoy
12-30-2003, 08:15 PM
I'm mostly on the cat forums, but can't post this there . . . our 14 year old black and white Siberian Shasta was put to rest yesterday afternoon. Her cinnamon sister, Sadie, had to be put down last year and I never posted about it because I felt like I didn't know anyone on the dog boards, so nobody would care, really.

I just need to unburden myself of the grief, so I thought posting about Shasta might help.

We had her since she was a pup, and . . . gosh . . . 14 years is a long time to have a dog, so I'm grateful for that. She had a laundry list of ailments, and could barely walk even with the pain meds, so we felt it was time to let her go. The vet kindly came to our home to ease her suffering, and Shasta is now buried next to Sadie. I hope she is kinder to Sadie at the Rainbow Bridge than she was to her on earth, as they had their violent disagreements several times. Shasta felt Sadie was a threat to her Alpha status. We finally decided to take them to a Vet Behaviorist and learned that Shasta's personality was not really typical of a dog; more like a wolf in that if let go she could survive nicely on her own in the wild. Sadie was the one that sought human affection and attention, like most dogs. Shasta was very independent, but we still loved her despite her quirks; she was out first dog, and she was born on Valentine's Day (her middle name), so she will always be our forever Shasta Valentine.

I will leave them in my Avatar, as a tribute.

lizbud
12-30-2003, 08:27 PM
I am so very sorry about the loss of Shasta and also
that of Sadie.:( Sadie's passing must have been so very
hard for you. Please don't ever feel you can't post about
the loss of a dearly loved family member & friend. I'm sure
that Shasta sees all things clearly now & they are the very
best of friends at Rainbow Bridge. Prayers & gentle hugs to
you in this sad time.:(

Corinna
12-30-2003, 08:39 PM
So sorry to hear of your loss. We here don't care where you post more. We all here are family. We hold you in our thoughts.

captain
12-30-2003, 08:45 PM
{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}} across the miles to you.

No matter where you usually post, we will always be here to listen. .

I know I go to the kitty board too, and I don't even have a cat

Strength, love and prayers to you.

Hugs
Michelle

Cinder & Smoke
12-30-2003, 09:08 PM
So very sorry... :(

Safe Trip to the Bridge, Shasta Valentine.

/s/ Phred
:(

Karen
12-30-2003, 09:25 PM
Sweet Shasta, I hope it is snowing at the Rainbow Bridge for you, if you are like every other husky I've ever met!

Be a good girl, and say hello to my Sheba dog there, she'll show you the ropes in no time.

You, AvaJoy, will be in our thoughts and prayers.

slick
12-30-2003, 11:12 PM
I believe that when all pets go to the RB they leave their ailments and agressions behind. I'll bet that Sadie and Shasta are the best of friends now and romping and playing together and watching out for you.

I'm so sorry for your loss and I pray the memories bring you comfort.

Uabassoon
12-31-2003, 12:40 AM
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I know it's so hard to lose a pet especially when they have been with you for so long, they are more then just a pet they become family.

trayi52
12-31-2003, 01:17 AM
I am so sorry for your loss, it is always so hard to lose a beloved pet.

Willie

gini
12-31-2003, 01:27 AM
You have lost a member of your family that you deeply loved.

Avajoy, I am so sorry. Know that you gave her the very best home and love possible. She will never forget you and she will always be right there - in your heart.

Taltali
12-31-2003, 02:39 AM
hey...
I know how you feel because I have lost dogs also in the past. it's an horrible feeling, and I wish there was something I could say or done to make you feel better.
think of it, that she will not suffer anymore.

*hugs*
be strong!

jenluckenbach
12-31-2003, 05:43 AM
I am so sorry for your loss. {{{HUGS}}} But you are wrong, even if this were your first post here at pet talk, people would care and feel your sorrow. Never apologize for expressing your love of a pet. Your 2 special pups are now together again and will be waiting especially for you at the RB.

pitc9
12-31-2003, 07:49 AM
I am so sorry to hear of your loss.

I'm sure they will be happy together at RB!!!

Sara luvs her Tinky
12-31-2003, 08:07 AM
oh no... i am so sorry!! :(

I know Shasta and Sadie.. were super special and had a really great mom! You gave them a wonderful life...

Now they can play with all our RB friends..

Sudilar
01-01-2004, 07:34 AM
So very sorry for your great loss of Shasta and Sadie. Shasta had a long wonderful life with you and your family. That is something to celebrate. Remember the good times and try to smile through your tears...
Hugs.

KYS
01-01-2004, 01:07 PM
I am so sorry, to hear such news.
You were blessed to have eachother and now
she will watching over you at the Rainbow bridge.

Hugs ((((.u.)))
Karen

robinh
01-01-2004, 02:43 PM
I am so sorry to hear of your loss. We lost our Peach in March and I still cry for her. Each time a member loses a furbaby, I cry. These are not just animals to people here, they are family and it's hard to see them go.

You are always welcome here to talk and to remember, and we hope take away some kind word or thought that will help you with your grief.

ChrisH
01-01-2004, 05:03 PM
I am so sorry to hear of your loss.:(

Hugs
Chris

AvaJoy
01-01-2004, 06:56 PM
I'm extending my heartfelt thanks to everyone that took a moment to post such kind words . . . it has really helped me so much.

I told my husband that I posted about Shasta, and I will print this out to show him, so that we can keep it in her folder. He is having a very difficult time with her passing, and I'm sure that your compassionate words will also help to ease his pain, as it has mine.

I think he is wrestling with whether or not the decision was premature. With Sadie, it was a no-brainer because she could not get up and therefore was soiling herself, and she would not eat. Her quality of life was suddenly and extremely compromised.

Shasta still had some mobility, and an appetite. Because she was a very strong, stoic dog, and hid her pain well, I am not beating myself up over the decision, because I think it was her time. I wish my husband could also see it in that light, but maybe when he reads your posts it will aleviate some of the guilt/sadness he is feeling. The decision WHEN to euthanize an ailing and elderly pet is never easy, but if there is suffering with no hope for relief or remission, then it is time to let them go on to the Rainbow Bridge, where they can be . . . pain-free. And we humans will just have to cry and grieve over losing them, and try to find solace in memories, and knowing that we did all we could to enrich their lives.

Thank you, all.

Cookiebaker
01-01-2004, 10:00 PM
Shasta, Rest in peace, sweet Pupper.

Avajoy, I am so sorry for your loss. I hope you will find comfort in happy memories.

:(

ParNone
01-02-2004, 11:07 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss Avajoy. Hold onto those wonderful
memories of Shasta, that'll keep her alive in your heart.

Par...

Cincy'sMom
01-02-2004, 02:44 PM
RIP Shasta and Sadie. You were both obviously very special pets. Now you are both free of pain and reunited.

My Peanuts
01-02-2004, 02:52 PM
If there is one thing I've learned about this board it is that no matter where you usually post you can find friends in other sections. Even though you normally post in the cat section, we love having you in the dog section.

That being said, I offer my condolences. Just about everyone here understands what you are going through. At least you can take comfort that you did the right thing because Shasta was in pain and had many problems. RIP Shasta and Sadie

Cataholic
01-04-2004, 04:44 PM
Rest in Peace, Shasta! Know that down here your memory still lives on. Be nice to Sadie, you two are up there together now, until Meowmie joins you.

anna_66
01-05-2004, 08:20 PM
I know I am extremely late to this post, but I wanted to offer my condolences on the passing of not only Shasta but of Sadie too.
It's so hard to loose one dog, but 2 I can only imagine your hurt.
They get into our hearts so deep it's hard to get over.
Know you will be in my thoughts.
Anna