PDA

View Full Version : Bad day--whining and venting....

Glacier
12-30-2003, 05:48 PM
So like an idiot, I agreed to dogsit my friend's two golden retrievers while she went away for the holidays. So I have 20 dogs right now including a 3 year old female golden and a 4 month old golden puppy. I DON"T DO PUPPIES. I like them in the same way I like children--when they are someone elses!! There hasn't been a puppy in our house for almost five years. My dogs and I aren't used to them.

No offense to Golden owners, but they just aren't the breed for me. I think they can be lovely dogs, but I am used to a more independant nature. I keep stepping on these two cuz they follow me everywhere! They have no idea how to self-entertain. Unless a person is interacting with them, they do nothing! (I don't know if that's a Golden thing or just these two dogs???)

This morning I woke up to a puppy crate full of poop! A white golden covered in feces. Why didn't he whine to go out!!?? He has every other night he's been here! Why did his owner buy a crate pad without a removable cover!!??

While I was cleaning that mess, one of my cats puked! I was late for work. Hubby is home sick!

Preacher, my old, cranky guy, hates Finn, the puppy. Finn is just learning what other dogs mean when they growl at him. Unfortunately, Preacher is going to take his nose off. This puppy is just not that bright and he keeps going back for more. He is spending alot of time in his crate--I refuse to change my dogs' life and routine for a guest dog, so I won't confine Preacher. It's his home after all.

A little while ago, Preacher lunged at Finn, who was trying to steal his bed. Preacher, being blind, missed Finn, but he nailed Pacer! Sweet scared Pacer has a two inch gash down his face now. Man, does blood stand out on pure white fur. At first I thought Pacer was seriously injured. It's not really that bad at all, but the bright red on pale white scared me half to death!!

My dogs hate the female. I simply can not put another a female dog in my dog run. There will be bloodshed! This dog is not particularly well socialized. Her owner is a loner and the dog hasn't been exposed to alot of new things. She doesn't speak dog well and certainly doesn't understand Husky. Fortunately, the cats won't go in their kitty run with the snow so I am using that as an enclosure for the dog.

Argh......never again! Next time their owner can pay for a kennel...oh, she also has two cats that she thinks are at my house. I actually left them at her place and am checking on them twice a day. 10 cats and 20 dogs was just unthinkable!!!

She's home on Friday---it can't come soon enough.

K9soul
12-30-2003, 06:14 PM
Hmm, well they are in a different situation so probably aren't acting their normal selves.. I dunno :p. Tommy and Tasha generally follow me around, so did the collies, but Tommy is pretty good at entertaining himself too. Goldens do thrive on being close to their people though I think. :)

Karen
12-30-2003, 09:32 PM
I would put Huskies and Goldens pretty much on opposite ends of the scale of clinginess! Poor you, Perhaps at least the pup will learn to speak "dog" better than the older one does! Gosh, if you know of any lonely older folks, maybe they'd love to have the older dog for an afternoon or two. Nothing cuddles like a lonely Golden, and some oldsters would be enchanted - unlike you! ;)

Poor Pacer, too! :( Wrong place at the wrong time!

Hugs for you.

GoldenRetrLuver
12-30-2003, 09:42 PM
Yep, Goldens thrive on being close to people, and human interaction. Daisy entertains herself when I'm not home, usually by playing fetch with herself. :rolleyes: She follows me EVERYWHERE and can't stand to be in a room by herself.

I'm sorry it's been so bad. :(

Tonya
12-30-2003, 10:03 PM
Boy oh boy do you have your hands full! I sympathize with you.

Moose
12-30-2003, 10:18 PM
Aw, poor Glacier. :(

Yeah, I know what you mean about the "clingy-ness." Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing Goldens...after all, my parents have one that I absolutely adore. Ever since I walked through the door at my parents' house I've been followed by a bouncy little Golden boy lol. I guess some people like that, and some don't....I really wouldn't expect you to. As Karen mentioned, Huskies and Goldens are quite different from one another!

Ay, good luck! :D

K9soul
12-31-2003, 10:51 AM
Actually, I thought about it more and noticed more subtle differences between Tommy and Tasha. Little things like Tommy likes to lay so some part of him is touching some part of me. He likes to lay with his favorite toys near him. If Tasha finds a comfortable spot to lay in and I leave the room, she will stay a bit unless I'm gone too long or if it sounds like I'm doing something, then she'll follow, but Tommy is up the moment I get up and following.

I've always called him my "cuddlebug" cause he just loves to cuddle and be close. I really enjoy that about him, but I can see how it could get overwhelming with a lot of other dogs around or if you just aren't as much the cuddling type. I do think it is a trait that makes goldens so wonderful with kids though. A lot of kids love to hug and cuddle with dogs and that can get on a dog's nerves that doesn't enjoy that.

I read an interesting book once called Why We Love the Dogs We Do by Stanley Coren, who had some intriguing theories about different personality types matching different breeds. I don't think you can really pin it down and classify it so exactly, but it did have a lot if interesting things to think on, and it did in fact seem to match me with some of the breeds I am most attracted to.

Oh well, sorry for the rambling :p

Glacier
12-31-2003, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by K9soul

I read an interesting book once called Why We Love the Dogs We Do by Stanley Coren, who had some intriguing theories about different personality types matching different breeds. I don't think you can really pin it down and classify it so exactly, but it did have a lot if interesting things to think on, and it did in fact seem to match me with some of the breeds I am most attracted to.

My huskies will cuddle--well, some of them, and they do like to be around us alot. The difference is if I get up a husky will stay where they are and watch me. These two Goldens get up and follow right behind me. I am clumsy by nature, I don't need any help tripping LOL!

I haven't read that one of his. I'll have to check it out. A lot fewer dogs would be in rescues and shelters if more people matched their breeds better. Goldens are great dogs, just not right for me. (although I do like that reliable off leash thing!) I know lots of people who think huskies are beautiful, but they would be lousy husky owners!