PDA

View Full Version : ? for the multiple cat households (no I am not getting another!!)

shais_mom
12-30-2003, 01:34 PM
Hi all!
I wanted to AGAIN bring up cat litter. :rolleyes: I know this is an exhaustive subject. But here goes.
I have been using Feline Pine since this summer when Moosmom said how great it was. But I don't think she is using it anymore. I thought at first it was the greatest thing since cat nip! Well, then I used another kind called Cat Okay for about a month or so. I wasn't overly impressed with it until I changed the litter back to the feline pine. Then I was surprised that I hadn't noticed it before. I hadn't smelled the wet pine smell before. So I was wondering what litter those of you with multiple cats used. Like Jen, Kelly, Johanna, catcrazylady, Pam, Sandra, et al. Doesn't matter how many cats more then one is multiple! :):) :p
I had used Tidy Cat for almost a year when I switched to Feline Pine. I was thinking about switching to Fresh step. Does anyone have good luck with this? I am fortunate enough that Kylie is so easy going that she doesn't rebel when I switch her litter.
Thanks for the info.
I don't have a Petco or a Petsmart near. The only options I have are Walmart and PetSupplies Plus.

Isis_7
12-30-2003, 01:45 PM
I have 2 cats and use Scoop Away Clean. They have a multi cat formula, but the regular formula works just as good. I get it at Wal-Mart. If they're out of Scoop away, I'll get Fresh step. I think they both work about the same, but Scoop Away is a little cheaper. Hope this helps!

P.S. I tried tidy cats but it did not work at all!! The "clumps" would crumble as soon as the scoop touched them. And it did nothing for the smell!!

moosmom
12-30-2003, 02:17 PM
Shais_Mom,

I stopped using Feline Pine because of the little "bug" problem I was having, and the fact that Doogie kept pooping in front of the litterbox. He evidently didn't like FP so I went back to using Premium Scoopable Cat Litter. So far, no accidents!

Pet Supplies Plus has it and it's great. It comes in 20/40/50 lb bags.

catcrazylady
12-30-2003, 02:25 PM
We have tried several types and Fresh Step is the one we liked the best. We used Scoop Away for a long time and thought it was fine. One time Walmart was out of it and we bought Fresh Step and I have used it ever since.
We have three litter boxes for the nine cats. I generally scoop in the evening when we get home and again before I go to bed. I try to scoop every morning but that depends on how pushed I am for time.
We also are Walmart shoppers and have little else to choose from that is nearby. If you try it I hope it works ok for you. If you do get Fresh Step make sure you don't throw away the paw points!!! You can save the points and get stuff. I don't remember what now but check it out before you trash the empty container:D :D http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/biggrin.gif

luckies4me
12-30-2003, 02:29 PM
Well I have tried all kinds of cat litter. We use the scoopable kind, Tidy cat for Multiple Cats with long lasting odor control. To me the clumps stick VERY well and I LOVE it! I tried Fresh Step and I hated it. But what I find works best is the CHEEPEST you can buy. Albertson's has great scoopable cat litter, and to me it works better than all the others I have tried. ;)

jenluckenbach
12-30-2003, 02:44 PM
Premium Scoopable Cat Litter found at Pet Suplies Plus. I can get a 40 lb. bag for $6.98......no other scoopable can come close in price to that. It is rarely dusty (just an occasional bag) and it must control odor well, as I am always getting comments on how there could not possibly be 15 + cats in the house.

CatDad
12-30-2003, 03:34 PM
Right now I am stuck with Fresh Step, not really stuck I like it well enough. It clumps OK and I don't have an odor issue. However, Bob complained when I tried Feline Pine once. I think that Joey is pretty open to whatever.

I may have to look at the Premium Scoopable Cat litter. The type of endorsement Jen just gave is pretty impressive.:)

lv4dogs
12-30-2003, 03:36 PM
Altough i only have 1 cat I have 3 ferrets as well & they all share litter boxes, so i use a combination of kiln dried wood pellets (used to be the ferts litter before the cat came along & since i didnt want the ferts to rebel I just mix them) & tidy cat for multiple cats (i ussually use the kind with immediate odor control) non scoopable though cause the ferts but i have never had a problem with smell or anything. I love my mixture!

The pellets make it kind of scoopable, so i scoop all 9 litterboxes for 1-2 days then on the 2nd or 3rd day I just empty all of them.

Glacier
12-30-2003, 04:26 PM
I have eight cats, 9 litter boxes in the house....four with pine pellets, four with scoopable litter. I use the Wal-Mart brand, Special kitty for Multiple cats. Like you, Walmart is my one of my very few options for kitty supplies. I'd love to try Tidy-Cat, but no stores here sell it.

The ninth box is essentially empty. I have two cats with litter box issues and who like to pee on hard plastic surfaces. They had developed a liking for my kitchen cupboard! So I gave them a box with nothing in it. I have to rinse it out everyday, but I much prefer that than cleaning pee of my cupboards!!!

moosmom
12-30-2003, 05:07 PM
Jen is right. Premium Scoopable Cat Litter is the best for the money and also has almost NO dust, which is what sold me on it.

Craftlady
12-30-2003, 05:16 PM
We use Tidy Cat Scoopable (Long Lasting Odor) and love it. Ocassionally I have crumbling problem, but not enough to make me change brands. Usually when I'm hurry and scoop to fast is when it crumbles. There is no odor unless someone is too lazy and doesn't bury then the odor clears a room. :D

Pam
12-30-2003, 06:37 PM
I used Fresh Step for years and then switched to Arm & Hammer for a while and now use Scoop Away. I don't really see a whole lot of difference. The Arm & Hammer did have a really nice smell but I think might have been a little more dusty. Actually now I go with what is available and what is on sale at this point. Jen, I think I will look for the Premium Scoopable Litter. There are 3 pet supply stores in my area and surely one of them must carry it. With your recommendation and at that price I don't think I could possibly go wrong.

neko1
12-30-2003, 06:50 PM
I use scoop away for multiple kitties. Unfortunately I cannot change to a different brand because Neko will let me know he's not having that. We tried changing the brand once, and Neko decided that the living room floor was a more suitable spot for urinating. Of course he stopped doing that as soon as we returned to the scoop away...:o

shais_mom
12-30-2003, 11:39 PM
Thanks for the info everyone!! I am headed to the pet store on Friday and will definatley check out the premium litter.
:)

NoahsMommy
12-30-2003, 11:42 PM
We've tried so many of the cat litters out there (Swheat Wheat, Tidy Cats, Corn cob litter, the pine litter from Trader Joe's, those crystal things (EWWW!!!), Albertsons scoopable, even the fancy "Ever Clean...who is made by the same company as Fresh Step)...because if I'm going to have a million cats, my house WILL NOT smell or look like it! I'm a psycho clean freak... ;)

The only thing that we've loved and stayed with is the Fresh Step. Its amazing for all our fuzzies....they all like it and it does a great job with clumping and odor control. :)

As a validation for Fresh Step....my father-in-law, who regularly voices his objections of our cats ("cats smell"), tells me that he wouldn't know we even have one cat when he comes over. :)

krazyaboutkatz
12-31-2003, 01:34 AM
I've also tried many types of litter and now use Ever Clean extra strength scented formula for multiple cats. So far everyone loves it and people have also commented on how my condo doesn't smell like cats.:) Luckily I have a Pet Club nearby so it's fairly reasonable. If you buy it at Petco or Petsmart it's going to be expensive. Good luck with your litter hunt.:)

HayleyRosie
12-31-2003, 05:54 AM
We use Maxx Multi-Cat formula. I tried many different brands of litter and this is what I find best. The price is not bad either.

catnapper
12-31-2003, 07:38 AM
Ok, I checked my bathroom: its Litter Clean. The only place I've seen it is Sam's Club and is CHEAP - $8 or $9 for 40 pounds. I must admit that its a bit dusty at first. But I'll be darned if it doesn't clump perfectly and the smell is completely gone (unless I'm a lazy mommy and don't scoop for a couple days.)

Last night I was scooping and Pouncer came up to use his box in the middle of me scooping (Gee thanks, young man.) So I stood there waiting and waiting for the world's longest tinkle and the stuff clumped IMMEDIATELY. It wasa nice solid clump... I've had experience with litter that still hadn't clumped for a while afterwards.

I love it and wouldn't change for the world (besides Allen wouldn't let me) the only thing that I'm not too keen on is how dusty it is when you initially pour it in. But I hardly ever have to clean the boxes completely - all I do is scoop every day (one box every other day - I have two boxes) and I add more to the mixture periodiclally as it gets low. The one in the bathroom can go 6 months before it needs a thorough washing, the one in the basement a little more frequently because its a damp basement. I was never able to do that with any other brand.... and I've tried just about everything because Allen is a picky litter man. I only tried the Litter Clean out of desperation on being broke at that time!;) Allen doesn't mind if I clean once every few months either; thats saying a lot about how well this cheap stuff works!

sirrahbed
12-31-2003, 08:19 AM
I really like Fresh Step. It clumps hard and I never notice an odor. With three cats, I have two boxes and scoop twice a day. I am rather a clean freak though. I may try the Prrmium that Jen mentions. Sounds like a good buy. Scoopaway is also good i think. My older cats would NOT use the Fresh Step as they got older - the smell I guess? But all three I have now love it and I love it :D

catmandu
12-31-2003, 09:16 AM
I always use the Pet Valu Litter, 40 pounds for $9 , and it is a good solid clumping litter , and less than the name brands!

jazzcat
12-31-2003, 01:16 PM
I'm going to try the Premium stuff from Pet Supplies Plus. Currently use Tidy Cat and I do hate how it crumbles. I tend to stockpile Tidy Cat so I have about 90+ pounds sitting out in the garage. I load up when Target has it on sale.

jenluckenbach
12-31-2003, 02:08 PM
Premium choice clumps fairly well. Not rock hard like some, so you do get crumbles at times. But it still is my choice.