PDA

View Full Version : off topic, internet providerS?

lv4dogs
12-30-2003, 12:23 PM
I currently have aol but it is so expensive, I was wondering what other poeple use & how they like it. (ex. net-zero, earth link, walmart etc..)

I have to have dial up, speed is not too much of a factor form me as i am rarely on the comp. at home. Just that I can not afford 30 bucks for about 10 hours of use, that is rediculous!

Kfamr
12-30-2003, 12:33 PM
I've NEVER liked AOL.. We had it for a while but it was so annoying having to log in and wait for it to connect.

We have Time Warner/Bright House/Road Runner(not sure what they call it these days, it's changed so many times) Cable modem.

It's so easy just to be able to click on the internet explorer and have it come up right away.

lv4dogs
12-30-2003, 12:36 PM
I wish I could get cable but i live in the boonies so I have to have dial up. Plus they are just as pricey as aol anyways, im looking for something that works but is not too expensive.

Pretty much I am looking for dial up reccomendations that would fit my needs.

GoldenRetrLuver
12-30-2003, 12:53 PM
We use AOL. It's not the best provider, but I find it simple and easy to use.

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
12-30-2003, 12:55 PM
We have Charter Cable internet. You just double click on the internet icon, and boom, you're there. :)

amoore
12-30-2003, 01:16 PM
I have heard that AOL is a nightmare!

I have a local dial up Internet provider that is pretty cheap. It is a slow server but it is only 11.95 a month. and virus-scans the mail before it gets to me. I have a virus scanner called AVG also.

My sister-in-law says that she like Earthlink really well.

ramanth
12-30-2003, 01:23 PM
When my Grandpa was alive, he had Comcast and it was decent.

My parents lucked out. Their dial up is free because we go thru MSU's servers. A perk for having a child (my sister) go to college there. :D

CatDad
12-30-2003, 03:03 PM
I still have a dial up account, but I only have it because I have have the email address for almost 10 years and I don't want to change it. Just lazy I guess.;) So I do not have any recent personal experience with low rate dial up. I use cable now.

However, I listen to a consumer advocate called Clark Horward sometimes and he has a webstite with low rate dial up places. His show is national and I think that his recomended dial ups are also. I have listened him for a while and I would trust what he says.

Here is a link to his recomendations:
http://clarkhoward.com/topics/internet_deals.html

I have also heard him talk about how hard it is to get rid of AOL and he has talked about a page that he has on exactly how to get rid of AOL. I guess alot of people have problems, and AOL just got done with an investigation on that. I did not find it, but I am sure that it is there.

If you have trouble with the link let me know.

Moose
12-30-2003, 03:20 PM
I have a lot of stuff...lol, I don't really know. :o

We used to have just AOL and I hated waiting for it to connect. However, once it connected [and assuming it didn't kick me off after two seconds] it worked for what I needed.

After getting DSL [which I know you aren't interested in], we have Comcast and AOL still [for some reason, we get AOL for free...I honestly have no idea why though, we've had it for years]. These are the only two things I've used, and I've been satisfied with them. :)

wolfsoul
12-30-2003, 05:00 PM
We are going through Silk right now, but we will be getting Telus ADSL soon. Telus likes to screw people over, and my mom hates them since she works for ACN and Telus is the top competitor, but Telus is also faster and cheaper.

binka_nugget
12-30-2003, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by wolfsoul
We are going through Silk right now, but we will be getting Telus ADSL soon. Telus likes to screw people over, and my mom hates them since she works for ACN and Telus is the top competitor, but Telus is also faster and cheaper.

Hahaha! Telus seems like that eh? We have ADSL..I love it. I'm so glad we didn't have to deal with dial-up.

jenluckenbach
12-30-2003, 06:15 PM
I have Enter.net. I have never had any others, but I have used AOL and you could not give it to me free of charge.

micki76
12-30-2003, 06:19 PM
I have Juno Speedband which is actually faster than DSL, but a LOT cheaper! We have DSL at work and mine at home is about 3X faster and it's dial up. Juno Speedband is $14.95 a month. :)

joycenalex
12-30-2003, 07:19 PM
i just ended a 4 relationship with earthlink. i can recommend them. FYI i switched to a cable company for the cable and internet service for just $5 more then the second phone line and earthlink cost. the only small complaint i had about earthlink is that sometimes, when they are upgrading their email server, you cannot get your email thru their site, those times i used mail2web.com. a good friend has netzero, she likes it.