PDA

View Full Version : Delta, the brave & the beautiful

Glacier
12-30-2003, 11:33 AM
This is Delta, my incredibly timid husky mix. He's just turned two and we just adopted him on Halloween after over a year of fostering him and his brother, Antare. They are both timid little guys, but Antare has made much more progress. He's a great sled dog now. Delta has been much harder to work with. He greatly prefers the company of other dogs to humans. He won't walk on a leash, just lays down and cowers. But I still believe there is hope for him to become a more functional, happier dog. He has a lovely personality, underneath all the fear. He's gentle and not a mean bone in him, he likes cats and adores other dogs.

We've reached an agreement where I warn him that I am going to pet him. I tell him to pick a "safe spot" (yes, he knows what that means) and he finds a place he feels secure and waits for me to come pet him. Lately, he's been letting me touch him more often and a couple days ago, I picked him up and carried him into the house--Definately not worried about him not getting enough food anymore--he's heavier than he looks! He spent about 10 hours inside with us--even explored the house a bit. I just love this pic as he actually looks relaxed and happy. I wish I could find the first pic I ever took of him to show you guys the difference. In the first ones, all his eyes show is terror.

http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Dec/200312308996470482545021.jpg

If the pic doesn't show up at first, hit refresh--for some reason my pics do that sometimes.

primabella
12-30-2003, 02:30 PM
OMG he's gorgeous :eek: I'm going to steal all of your dogs LOL

Moose
12-30-2003, 02:59 PM
Ah, as with all of your dogs, I'm in love. ;):p

Mind if I make a trip up to northern Canada and stay for a few days? lol ;)

Glacier
12-30-2003, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Moose

Mind if I make a trip up to northern Canada and stay for a few days? lol ;)

Come on up, but seeing as you're from Florida, you might want to wait a few months. It's -30C and dark today! Wouldn't want you to freeze to death! It should warm up around April and the sun should be back by then too!

captain
12-30-2003, 05:36 PM
That's a great pic!

Little steps, that all it takes, and a WHOLE LOTTA LOVE - which you give unconditionally!!!

He has a great home now ............ :)

tikeyas_mom
12-30-2003, 05:48 PM
aw what a big teddy bear!!

dukedogsmom
12-30-2003, 07:06 PM
What a cute dog and what a sweet story. Glad he's making progress.

Moose
12-31-2003, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Glacier
Come on up, but seeing as you're from Florida, you might want to wait a few months. It's -30C and dark today! Wouldn't want you to freeze to death! It should warm up around April and the sun should be back by then too!

Psh, I'm a tough chick! :p;) lol. I'm in Chicago right now...I can handle the cold. Although...it's not really that bad here right now, there isn't even any snow...and I don't think I could handle below zero temperatures. lol. Hm...you'll have to let me know when it warms up and I just might take you up on your offer. :D

kingrattus
12-31-2003, 10:44 PM
Glacier can u send us some snow & cool weather? For some reason its been raining for about a week (or more) & all our snow melted :(

I'm use to having about 2 feet of snow or more at this time of the year, but it looks alot like spring time then winter. My winter jacket isn't water proof anymore cause its sooo old, so its getting sooooo heavy to wear..

PLEASE send Ottawa snow.

Having a green xmas did blow.