PDA

View Full Version : Picky Cat

Amber
12-29-2003, 01:59 PM
My friend is having problems with her cat.. She has tried all the cat foods but her cat is soo picky. It was a stray, so she took her in. and her cat wont eat no proper cat food. So she just feeds it turky & roast beef, because thats all it will eat. any ideas?

Thanks!

PayItForward
12-29-2003, 02:10 PM
First get her to take him to vets to rule out any medical/dental problems.

If he is healthy, your friend should put down a good quality cat food for him, if he doesn't eat it, take it up until the next meal. She should NOT offer any beef etc. He can miss a meal or two no problem.

I suspect that this kitty is just trying it on.

If the cat won't eat the food offered on that or the next day, it is worth swapping the cat food until you find one he likes.

One word of caution cats can starve to death if they hate their food, unlike a dog who eventually will eat what he is given.

So your friend has to find a suitable food without spoiling her cat with treat food.

Good Luck.

Princess_Snow
12-29-2003, 03:06 PM
I have the same problem with the adult stray that I rescued. The first couple of times I've been feeding the strays. she was the only one who would not eat at all. She was so skinny but I figured she probably finds food somewhere else if she refuses cat food. When I took her home, I tried training her to eat cat food. I would leave wet and dry food and nothing else. She did not touch the food for 2 days. I got so scared as she was getting pale so I gave in. I never tried giving her anything but scraps of chicken, beef, pork. She also eats vegetables and rice. I didn't know cats would prefer to starve than eat something they don't like.

Amber
12-29-2003, 03:12 PM
Thanks for the info! I just passed it along to her. Dont worry, she already got her checked before it came into the house.

CatDad
12-29-2003, 04:21 PM
The best advice has been given. You keep trying till you find something that works.

Cats tends to eat food that is realy smelly. So I would definately go with quality food, but also see if they can try some really smelly food first. My vet told me about the stronger a food smell the more a cat will generally like it. They go by smell of food first. I am sure that is just a generalization and every cat is little different.

Hope this helps a little.

BTW - I did not know about cats starving themselves either. I learned something new.:)