PDA

View Full Version : The secret world of cats...cat talk...

bisi.cat
12-29-2003, 04:01 AM
Have you ever wondered about what fine communication skills cats must have?!
They've managed to build up a special language for us humans...all their meows and purrs and gutural sounds, which they don't use with other cats...
And ever since we've started feeding Willie regularly it took only one day until another cat showed up at the feeding place...I wonder if they've gathered in cat circles and exchange the latest news...this is so fascinating...
Do you have a story to share about your cats' communication skills either to you or to other cats, that really made you wonder?!

catmandu
12-29-2003, 09:24 AM
Now that is something , that I did not realize , that Cats do not meeow to each other. They use eye blinking and body language , but not meeeows! You learn something new , every day! Thank You!

Sara luvs her Tinky
12-29-2003, 09:46 AM
Tinky meows when we are fixing something to eat.... it doesn't matter what either.... (she is my little piggy!!!)...

and Jupiter meows A LOT in the morning when I get up... probably cause his bowl is empty and he is hungry... (hmmm I got two little piggies :))

and.... Jupiter meows at his toys.. it is a really funny meow too... and only when we are not looking ..... SILLY BOY!!!!!:D

catlover4ever
12-29-2003, 10:20 AM
All of mine are talkers and they all have their own different tones and cries that allow me to tell who it is that is talking. Abner is the most talkative and I swear that he knows exactly what I am saying to him.

They all also have their own special tones and such for each other. Abner for instance, if he is cornered by Tucker of Mystic, will let out this most pittiful cry, it's like he is saying, "please don't attack me".

I think that stray cats have a circle of "friends" that they share information with. For instance, Tucker, Mystic, Abner, Tobias, Cleo and several other kitties that I have cared for in my 10 years living in my house, I think they let each other know that a person who cares for them (me) is a good person, because I provide them with food, shelter, love and vet care (if they allow). I really do think that each cat communicates to another cat that way....after all, isn't that how we all almost always end up with another kitty to care for.

RedHedd
12-29-2003, 10:47 AM
Hmm -- I never noticed that - that cats don't meow at each other. Mitzi and Mishi do the nose-sniffing greeting; Mitzi head butts him and Mishi licks her. And then, of course, there's playtime where they chase each other around the apartment.

Mishi meows almost all the time - sometimes I wonder why he's meowing when I'm right there in the room and he can see me. I call him my singing cat. I was scared after his teeth cleaning as he didn't meow at all for over 24 hours -- it was very strange and I was afraid that he would never talk again. Boy was I wrong! :rolleyes: He's back to his "normal" (Mishi isn't normal! :D) talky self. :D

PayItForward
12-29-2003, 01:48 PM
Mmm, very interesting. I'll be watching my cats interact more closely.

I know strays have a underground group to pinpoint people who will feed them. ;)

NoahsMommy
12-29-2003, 09:26 PM
Hey, catlover4ever, can I steal Abner!?!? I just know he's just like my Noah.... ;)

Noah has his own call for me or David. Its the cutest thing, he'll be in another room from us and will meow as if he's asking where we are. He doesn't meow other than that....unless we're playing with him and he's getting all hot and bothered, then, it sounds like he's complaining.

Noel, our tortie is a huge talker. :) She talks when she wants food, wants to play and when she's annoyed at any of the cats. I didn't think cats communicated that way until I met Noel.

Basie only chirps. :) We call him "Squeeky" because that's what he sounds like. He chirps when he's in his "crazy kitty" mode, playing alone in the bathtub or the litter box (:rolleyes:). He will occasionally play with Hermie or the kittens and do his little squeaking meow.

Olivia only meows when its time to eat....acting like she's starving, of course. She much prefers the hiss and cry to communicate with the other cats.

Micah is certainly a talker, but only to David and I. There are times when he's in his own little kitty world and he meows at his "pray" (toys). :)

Hermione doesn't really meow. She will when she's playing, but she isn't a talker.

Phoebe and Samson are major talkers. They have different meows for almost everything they want. :) They have me so well trained....I know each one.

OK.....fini!

iloverat
12-29-2003, 11:33 PM
Briggsy and her human daddy carry on a conversation every night at bedtime. Either one will start their exchange, then the other will chime in, til they go back and forth, back and forth for a couple of minutes. Briggs always ends their ritual. Kyle would continue, even when he's super tired 'cause it's just so much fun to hear Briggs's comments! :)

In general, Briggs is not a talker. She's a petite 6 pounder with a small voice to match. I always hear from her when I'm annoying the princess, but most of the time she's perfectly quiet.

Like most folks, we've been very busy and had company over the holidays. I told my husband this evening that I was looking forward to this weekend when it will be just the 2 of us. Kyle responded that yes, he was, too. A very loud "Meeeeowww" from Briggs immediately followed Kyle's remark. WOW!!! We assured her that she was definitely included and not to worry. So, it's obvious that when she wants to be heard, she does not hesitate to SPEAK UP!!!! :D

CatDad
12-30-2003, 08:21 AM
Joey is the talker in our house. She will meow when she is doing just about anything. I think she just wants to let us know that she is there.

Bob os more of the strong silent type. About the only time I hear him meow is when he gets done using the litter box, and if he can't find us. Otherwise he is a quite kitty. He does not meow for food or treats he just sits there and stares.:)

catcrazylady
12-30-2003, 09:14 AM
I found this so amazing!! I have lived with cats all my life and never noticed that they really don't meow with each other!! I have so many mouthy kitties that it never dawned on me that they weren't talking to each other but to the humans of the house! I have been paying more attention now and I'm still shocked that I never noticed that before!! Thanks for teaching us something that is very interesting!!!:D http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/biggrin.gif

trayi52
12-30-2003, 10:40 AM
Grover has a certain little sound she makes, when she is alone and wants me, she has a certain sound she makes when she is hungry, which is all the time. She seems to have a different sound for everything she does, and I know them.

Its funny the sound she makes when I am holding her, and she decides she wants down, I always know that she is ready to get down. If one of the grandchildren pick her up and she makes that sound, I just tell them she doesn't want to be held, and to let her get down.

Her and Stubby just give each other looks, and then they decide to play or Grover knows to stay away from Stubby.

Cute ways to communicate!

Willie