PDA

View Full Version : fav drink.

tikeyas_mom
12-28-2003, 02:21 AM
what is your fav bar drink? alcholic beverage ;). I love pina colada, i also cant resist a smernoff(sp?) ice :p.

YUMM. i am drinking a pina colada right now haha.

GoldenRetrLuver
12-28-2003, 02:35 AM
I'm not old enough to drink. :p

binka_nugget
12-28-2003, 02:37 AM
I haven't had many drinks with alchohol in them...but my all time favorite are coolers lol. What is it? like .05% in them? I don't know..I know it's not much but they're so good mmm mm. I just know I'll never have another vodka..yuck!

popcornbird
12-28-2003, 02:56 AM
I never drank an alcoholic drink in my life, and never will...........so I have no idea what they even taste like! :p

Kfamr
12-28-2003, 03:02 AM
I thought this was going to be about normal drinks.

I really can't stand alcohol anymore. I despise it.

primabella
12-28-2003, 10:44 AM
I don't even like the smell of alcohol. :o Guess that's a good thing ;)

CathyBogart
12-28-2003, 12:42 PM
I don't drink alcohol, but my favorite drink is hot Oregon Chai. Mmmmm!

carole
12-28-2003, 12:51 PM
In my younger days I used to drink Gin and lemondade, yuck, always made me cry, if I drank too much, so changed to vodka and orange, now I am a teetotaller, and cannot stand the smell of it, little alone the taste, glad them days are over.

My preferred drink is now "CHI" it is a New Zealand spring water with a kiwifruit flavour, with medicinal herbs added to it, like aloe, ginseng etc, it tastes devine and is great for an upset stomach, its quite expensive compared to other soft drinks, but well worth it, and it makes a chi noise when you open the bottle , hence the name.:)

Cookiebaker
12-28-2003, 12:53 PM
I don't drink alcohol either. I hate what it does to people, how it makes them act & look stupid.

slick
12-28-2003, 01:08 PM
In spite of what I say on Thursday's, I am a social drinker but don't drink that much, maybe 4-6 drinks a month. Trouble is, I'm always driving myself around and D & D is just not a good thing.

My drink of choice has always been a Caesar (or Bloody Mary - not sure what the difference is).

andrea_NMAggie
12-28-2003, 01:13 PM
I'd have to say my favorite drink (s) are a Watermellon Pucker & Vodka, or an Apple Martini :)

Cincy'sMom
12-28-2003, 01:28 PM
Although I am not a huge drinker, there are not many alcoholic drinks I don't like. I can drink a beer, do a shot of whiskey, have a glass of wine, or drink a frilly girly drink, and enjoy them all equally. Right now my favorite is Smirnoff Twisted Raspberry or Orange. I need to try the Green Apple.

bluekat
12-28-2003, 01:38 PM
I've tried only a few alchaholic drinks before, but I hated the taste of it. :p

trayi52
12-28-2003, 01:47 PM
I have to say it, I like some alcoholic beverages, but I learned the hard way to limit my drinking.

The last time I drank to much Smirnoff, it is just so good, I kept drinking and finally I was what you would call "worshiping the porcelain bowl". I was so sick, I had to crawl to bed that night!

Now I limit my drinks, so I don't have to hug the bowl!

Willie

Sevens
12-28-2003, 01:51 PM
My usual favorites are Amaretto Sours, Mike's Hard Lemonade, or Smirnoff Ice. I also like Chateau Morrissette's "Our Dog Blue", which is a white wine put out by a Virginia winery.

Chateau Morrissette wines are usually very good and not too expensive. Also, I love their labels, because all of the designs for the labels include a black labrador retriever. (Their dog is the official mascot of the winery).

http://www.thedogs.com/OURDO.JPG

http://www.chateaumorrisette.com/RML03.corrected.jpg

slick
12-28-2003, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by trayi52
"worshiping the porcelain bowl".
Been there, done that!!!! When I was in my twenties I did alot of bowl hugging. Thank goodness there's something called "growing up".

wolfsoul
12-28-2003, 03:06 PM
The only alcohol I can stand is coolers. Like .05% alcohol. :p

But I love drinking slammers, just because slammer parties are the best. I don't like how they taste though lol.

Shelteez2
12-28-2003, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by binka_nugget
I haven't had many drinks with alchohol in them...but my all time favorite are coolers lol. What is it? like .05% in them? I don't know..I know it's not much but they're so good mmm mm. I just know I'll never have another vodka..yuck!

Are you kidding me. Most coolers have 7% alcohol in them. Most beer has about 5% (unless it's light). :)

I didn't start drinking until I was 21, which may not seem like a big deal to any Americans, but where I'm from the legal drinking age is 18.
When I started drinking I really like coolers. Now I can't stand them they're too sweet.

I don't drink often but when I do I'll usually have beer (my favorite is Alexander Keith's) or a couple shots of Tequila or Jack Daniel's.

I also enjoy a screwdriver everynow and then.

Shelteez2
12-28-2003, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by slick
Been there, done that!!!! When I was in my twenties I did alot of bowl hugging. Thank goodness there's something called "growing up".

Bleck. I've never been there and *knock on wood* never will ;)

wolfsoul
12-28-2003, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Shelteez2
Are you kidding me. Most coolers have 7% alcohol in them. Most beer has about 5% (unless it's light). :)

The only coolers that I've had were only .05% alcohol lol. I've never even seen one more than that. I don't think I'd like something more than that.

CathyBogart
12-28-2003, 04:58 PM
Oh, I lied.(Actually I just forgot) :) Spiked Eggnog, with just a splash of spiced rum. Tasty!

binka_nugget
12-28-2003, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by wolfsoul
The only coolers that I've had were only .05% alcohol lol. I've never even seen one more than that. I don't think I'd like something more than that.

LOL me too. I'm positive there was a 5 in there and I know it couldn't have been 5% (I remember seeing a decimal). I think it was either .5% or .05%

Shelteez2
12-28-2003, 05:04 PM
LOL me too. I'm positive there was a 5 in there and I know it couldn't have been 5% (I remember seeing a decimal). I think it was either .5% or .05%
Maybe it was 5.0%?
OR
Maybe we're referring to a different type of drink then. :)
This is the type of cooler I'm referring to:
http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Dec/200312285910842186408156.jpg

here's a close up on the label:
http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Dec/200312287446392369586895.jpg

Vex is just one brand of cooler. Mike's is another. Most seem to be made with vodka, although there are some rum ones, and I've even seen tequila coolers before.

babolaypo65
12-28-2003, 05:52 PM
Most wine coolers (the kind you buy in the bottle) are 5-7% alcohol.

Crikit
12-28-2003, 05:54 PM
You know it could just be me but the fact that this thread was started by a person under the legeal drinking age, and that quite a of the replies are from people under the drinking age as well kind of disturbs me.

I'm not going to preach or anything like that, don't worry about that. But I didn't touch a drop of alcohol until I was 18 which is the legeal age here in Alberta, and even when I did touch the stuff it was only a sip or two. In the five years since then I've had maybe 10 drinks in total.

However when I do drink (once or twice a year, now even less considering I'm always the one driving) I prefer the slushie drinks or mai tais.

Cataholic
12-28-2003, 05:59 PM
I LOVE TO DRINK! Being of age, and reasonable intelligence, it has never been a problem for me. I would drink 2-3 glasses a wine a day, if I had the time and money.

My FAVE drink is a Vodka Gimlet....crushed ice, but, not sooo crushed it is like a smoothie. I have noticed that these taste better to me in the summer than in the winter.

2kitties
12-28-2003, 06:03 PM
I'm having a glass of pinot grigio right now.
Christmas at my house involves hot "toddies"- cider and rum.

On a regular pizza night, we order beer. At nice dinners and when I'm relaxing at home- wine. when I'm out with the girls- martinis!

Cat- let's go out together sometimes and paint it red!

wolfsoul
12-28-2003, 06:10 PM
I think that drinking underage is alright as long as you do it responsibly. The starter of this thread is only a year 9 months underage, and I don't think that's bad at all! The first drink I had was when I was three. I remember it lol. My mom wanted me to learn from experience. I asked for a beer, I got it. Boy, was it gross!

binka_nugget
12-28-2003, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Shelteez2
Maybe it was 5.0%?
OR
Maybe we're referring to a different type of drink then. :)
This is the type of cooler I'm referring to:
http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Dec/200312285910842186408156.jpg

here's a close up on the label:
http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/Dec/200312287446392369586895.jpg

Vex is just one brand of cooler. Mike's is another. Most seem to be made with vodka, although there are some rum ones, and I've even seen tequila coolers before.

I know it couldn't have been 5.0%. I remember thinking to myself, "that's it?" and double checking. I just like the fizzyness, although sprite is just as good. As for the age thing, my mom bought it for me (since there was very little alchohol in it) and I'm smart about it. I wouldn't even dare touch a beer (or any other alchoholic drink in fact)..I act stupid enough without a drink..never mind after a drink.:p

tikeyas_mom
12-28-2003, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Crikit
You know it could just be me but the fact that this thread was started by a person under the legeal drinking age, and that quite a of the replies are from people under the drinking age as well kind of disturbs me.

I'm not going to preach or anything like that, don't worry about that. But I didn't touch a drop of alcohol until I was 18 which is the legeal age here in Alberta, and even when I did touch the stuff it was only a sip or two.

wow!!! i got drunk for the first time in grade 7 :o:o:o:o i was only 13 haha.. it was very interesting. all my friends were puking, not me i am not a cheep drunk :p. I never did puke.. humm...

Anyways the legal age here is 18 lol, i am 17, meh i still drink my parents let me .. so its all good. my dad always trys to get me to drink with him haha, man O' man, he is weired.

wolfsoul
12-28-2003, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by tikeyas_mom

my dad always trys to get me to drink with him haha, man O' man, he is weired.
Same here, but my dad just wants to get me all grossed out so he can laugh at me lol. He's the one that always had the slammer parties.

lizbud
12-28-2003, 06:30 PM

Hey , me too. I don't want to preach either, but I am really
surprised to find this on Pet Talk. Even in the Dog House.

tikeyas_mom
12-28-2003, 06:31 PM
Same here, but my dad just wants to get me all grossed out so he can laugh at me lol. He's the one that always had the slammer parties.

hahah my dad used to always give me sips of his beers when I was little :D.. he is a weirdo.. my mom would have been sooo mad if she knew lol.

tikeyas_mom
12-28-2003, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by lizbud
Hey , me too. I don't want to preach either, but I am really
surprised to find this on Pet Talk. Even in the Dog House.

sorry, i was just curious, about how many ppl actually drink, and how many pppl like which kinds of drinks :p...

Cataholic
12-28-2003, 06:47 PM
I had my first 'real' drink at 15, I think. I grew up in a middle class, suburban area....two cars, two vacations a year, pool, college prep high school, etc....and I would estimate that 60% of my friends drank in high school...and that is a conservative guess. I think 85-90% of my high school class went on to college.

I have never understood American's fascination with non-drink behaviour. For most of our youth today, it isn't alcohol that is killing them, it is TV, lack of 'umph', obesity....drinking, in moderation (like everything else in life), can be a healthy part of one's life. After all, we aren't all Baptist!

tikeyas_mom
12-28-2003, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic
I had my first 'real' drink at 15, I think. I grew up in a middle class, suburban area....two cars, two vacations a year, pool, college prep high school, etc....and I would estimate that 60% of my friends drank in high school...and that is a conservative guess. I think 85-90% of my high school class went on to college.

I have never understood American's fascination with non-drink behaviour. For most of our youth today, it isn't alcohol that is killing them, it is TV, lack of 'umph', obesity....drinking, in moderation (like everything else in life), can be a healthy part of one's life. After all, we aren't all Baptist!

i agree hahha. i used to get alot of excersize when i was drinking because i would goto bush parties with my friends and stuff, and we would walk and walk and run away from Cops lol. it was great, good excersize lol. now that i hardly ever drink, and when i do i dont go very far lol, i have gained weight and become mopre of a couch potatoe... ;)

2kitties
12-28-2003, 06:54 PM

Cat, I'd say we were separated at birth, but the math doesn't work out. Did your parents give me up for adoption or something? I think we have similar upbringings.

slick
12-28-2003, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
Anyways the legal age here is 18
I believe you are in BC???? Ahem, I beg to differ. The legal age to leave home and be on your own is 18. In BC, the actual legal drinking age is 19.

tikeyas_mom
12-28-2003, 07:11 PM
I believe you are in BC???? Ahem, I beg to differ. The legal age to leave home and be on your own is 18. In BC, the actual legal drinking age is 19.

meh whatever doesnt make a difference to me. I wont be going to any bars fsoon tell you that much ;)..

wolfsoul
12-28-2003, 07:17 PM
oOoOo so it IS 19 lol. :o

I would love to go to a bar, but not to drink. Just to have fun. I want to go to a gay bar and meet my "Will" and have a Will and Grace thing lol. :o I'm a loser. :p

slick
12-28-2003, 07:25 PM
Jordan: I've never been to a gay bar but I knew some people a long time ago that used to go to them all the time. I'm told that it's so much fun because for straight people there really is no pressure. They met all kinds of great people and had a gas every time they went. I never went with them because I was in a relationship at the time and "he" wouldn't go. Party Pooper!!

Cataholic and 2K: I'll meet you sometime around the corner and we'll compare notes.;) ;)

wolfsoul
12-28-2003, 07:28 PM
Jordan: I've never been to a gay bar but I knew some people a long time ago that used to go to them all the time. I'm told that it's so much fun because for straight people there really is no pressure. They met all kinds of great people and had a gas every time they went.

That does sound like fun! :D

binka_nugget
12-28-2003, 09:55 PM
I would love to go to a bar, but not to drink. Just to have fun. I want to go to a gay bar and meet my "Will" and have a Will and Grace thing lol. :o I'm a loser. :p

LOL I love Will and Grace. I want my own Jack..(and maybe a Karen..who knows when that will come in handy) lol. If we're 19 when we finish our program at cwcc, we'll celebrate at a gay bar LOL.

aly
12-28-2003, 10:02 PM

I am disturbed reading it too (from the underage people).

I'm 25 and don't drink. Blech.

I'll stick to chocolate milk and diet Dr. Pepper :)

micki76
12-28-2003, 10:09 PM

Ditto! I never understood what the deal was with the "magic" drinking age. You turn a certain age and suddenly it's ok? Never got that.

wolfsoul
12-28-2003, 10:47 PM
LOL I love Will and Grace. I want my own Jack..(and maybe a Karen..who knows when that will come in handy) lol. If we're 19 when we finish our program at cwcc, we'll celebrate at a gay bar LOL.
Ok! :D Lol. They just opened up a new gay bar in Kelowna. ;)

I would love my own Karen too lol. She's hilarious.

Tonya
12-28-2003, 11:36 PM
Corona, Margarita on the rocks with salt, vodka cranberry....

Oh! And Michelob Ultra...I don't "love" the taste, but it's low carb and low fat, so I drink it most!

G.P.girl
12-29-2003, 12:20 AM
well i'm still underage:rolleyes: but i've tried a lot of alcohal ( my parents think that if they let me try it now and don't mae a big del out of it then i won't run out and be drunk all the time when i am old enough to drinkWhich is probly true)) but i like cherry and chocolet liquor best, i don't really care for beer though i think tastes nasty

dukedogsmom
12-29-2003, 09:04 AM
Margaritas!

Desert Arabian
12-29-2003, 10:33 AM
I am 16 years old, and I am proud to say that I do not drink. Just the smell of alcohol makes me sick...I don't even want to taste it. The only thing I have are ice cream drinks, that’s enough for me.

Mainly the thought of what it does to your body really turns me off, and the horrific pictures and videos I saw of drunk people getting in accidents. At 16 I really don't want to have a messed up liver and mushy brain (killing your brain cells making you stupid)- since the alcohol is stored in the brain until the liver can process it. How pleasant, eh!?!

Also, the fact that alcohol turns nice people into belligerent, wild, obnoxious people.

Crikit, I am with you too. I am disturbed by the thread a lot. I do not see what is so cool about showing off that you drink!?! That’s for the underage drinkers, not the ones who are legal.

I don't know about other places, but in Wisconsin you can go to the bar with your parents and have as much alcohol and liquor that you want. Even if you are 10 years old. But you can't drink underage w/o your parents present.

Soledad
12-29-2003, 10:40 AM
Jumping up and down and riding rollercoasters also kill brain cells. Hey, it happens.

And as long as you're not a total idiot and drive whilst drunk or drive in a car with a drunk at the wheel, you can avoid the scary butchered limbs scene.

Not everyone turns into belligerent idiots. Usually, if you're obnoxious sober, you're just going to be more obnoxious while drunk.

trayi52
12-29-2003, 10:53 AM
The laws are sure different here, the age allowed to drink here is 21. Tennesse has revised its laws to where, if teenagers are even caught with alcohol in the car, then they lose their licence, and if there is another teenager in the car, they loose too. and if they happen to not have their licence, then they can't get them until they are 18.

They have put kerfews on the new drivers, restricted, intermediate. the restricted are only allowed to be out driving until 11 pm of a night, unless they are coming from a school function, or from work, have a note from the parents. They are not allowed to have but one other passenger in the car that is under the age 18, unless it is a sibling. I think this reasoning came from the fact that we here in Tennessee have lost a lot of our teenage population in automobile accidents due to loading down the car with other teenagers and driving while under the influence of alcohol. I really like this law, because I knew my daughter had to be home by 11 pm, I didn't have to set a kerfew myself.....

I waited a very long time before I did drink anything, but I do drink every once in a while. I don't want my daughter drinking unless she is doing it in front of me. I don't want her to do something while drinking that she will be sorry for later.

Well thats enough from me.

Willie

2kitties
12-29-2003, 10:59 AM
I think the US does itself a disservice on so many issues. We don't adequatly educate teens about sex, we don't provide birth control options, we set these silly drinking ages, we don't legalize a harmless smoking substance, etc.
If you look at European countries who have their heads out of their ***es and understand we don't need to apply puritan laws to the masses, you'll see their drinking/drug related deaths and their teen pregnancy rates are much much lower than the US. I think the moral majority in the US is a wonderful thing, until teens suffer because of it.

trayi52
12-29-2003, 11:15 AM
I agree 2k, its laws like these, that make the teenagers sneak around and do their drinking. I just don't want my daughter out driving while drinking, or with somebody drinking. I would rather if she is going to do this, do it in front of me. Not away in a car doing her drinking, or at some party, and then have to drive home in that condition, or some drunk driving my daughter home.
It is a hard thing to loose a child in that manner. Seen too much of it here where I live. Funny it seems to happen so close to their proms, and graduations. It seems to not just happen to one set either, when it happens, there will be 2 maybe 3 separate accidents at once. Teenagers seem to not realize they can die, and think they are invincible.

Willie

Desert Arabian
12-29-2003, 11:23 AM
(Sorry to get a wee bit of topic/flow)

W:eek:W, I just got a phone call from my friend telling me that our English teachers husband died yesterday. He was an alcoholic. I remember her telling us about him a lot in class. She was trying to get him professional help, but he didn't want to get any help. :(

Poor Ms. Zauppa, what a horrible way to end 2003. :(

trayi52
12-29-2003, 11:29 AM
I am sorry to hear about Ms. Zauppa's husband, sorry for her too. That is a bad way to end the year.

Wilie

carole
12-29-2003, 12:09 PM
Although Alcohol has scarred my life,(not through my own doing) I think I still have a reasonable attitude towards the stuff, its fine in MODERATION, but as we all know a lot of humans, young and old find it very hard to follow that idea, and lifestyles especially here in NZ encourage drinking, I have never smoked or drank alcohol since I had children , yet my son he does both, so I ask you, peer pressure is the main feature here I think.

Unfortunately human beings find moderation in all levels of life hard to adhere to, whether it be food, alcohol, smoking,etc etc, and in a perfect world that is how it would be.

I do have one thing that really bothers me though, is when my daughter's friends mother braggs to me about her hard night on the town, I feel sorry for her child, as she tells me how she ended up all day in bed and hey look out if the kids come near me, she is so grumpy, no child should have to witness their parent in this state and put up with that kind of treatment, ( yeah I know in a perfect world again) and it happens all too often, but I cannot for the life of me understand, how she cannot just have her social outings when her child is away (every second weekend to her father) I am not saying she does it all the time, but still, it saddens me, at least she should limit her intake as not to have such a hang-over next day.

Well enough of my raving and ranting here, but this topic has turned into people opinions about alcohol, so just adding mine for what it is worth, thanks for listening.

Kfamr
12-29-2003, 01:36 PM
Most things are fine in moderation.

I hate alcohol from what it's done and from what i've seen of it. If you want to frink a few beers a week or on the weekend, that's fine. but getting drunk just to get drunk sickens me. (Not to mention sickens the drinker most of the time:p )

I agree with most of what YLL said. Alot of kids these days brag aobut drinking, as well as doing other drugs, because it's "cool".

Desert Arabian
12-29-2003, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
If you want to frink a few beers a week or on the weekend, that's fine.

I agree with most of what YLL said. Alot of kids these days brag aobut drinking, as well as doing other drugs, because it's "cool".

Yes, I love to "frink" over the weekend. :D :p Hehe, that typo made me laugh! :D :D

Yep, that's all kids do at my school is brag on and on. Every single day I have to go to school and listen about how Joe Smith smoked 9 bowls of pot on Friday and had shot contests on Saturday until he/she vomited and passed out. Then when I see Joe Smith's grades I can't help but laugh. Pretty sad (on Joe's half)!

Kfamr
12-29-2003, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by YellowLabLover
Yes, I love to "frink" over the weekend. :D :p Hehe, that typo made me laugh! :D :D

So do you want to go frinking tonight? We can frink until we frop. :p :D :p :D

Cataholic
12-29-2003, 02:07 PM
I heard a very interesting comment this am, while attending a seminar on Ethics, Professionalism and Substance Abuse. As a lawyer, we are required, like many professions, to obtain 'credits' for our licensing requirements. Now, this is not the entire commentary...and, I may get some of it backwards, but, I found it fascinating.

It was the section on substance abuse...which is very high with doctors and lawyers. First, the guy was saying...it isn't that the JOB causes alcoholicism..since that is heredity/genetics at work, but, that alcoholics tend to go towards that type of advanced degree- either cause they feel way better than others (like me, right Kay?), or worthless. So, they think, 'OK, let me get **another** degree' or 'let me be my own boss'....and they germinate towards that type of profession. The guy was saying that if you put 100 people in a room, and encourage them to use coke(or crack), chances are, in time, 80% would become addicted to the substance. BUT, if you put 100 in a room, and encouraged drinking, over time, only 6-7 PEOPLE (well, I guess that is %, too, isn't it?) would become alcoholics. It isn't the drink/bottle that makes alcoholics, but genetics. He said a couple meeting at AA, marrying, and having kids, have just blessed that child with a 84% chance of becoming an alcoholic. WOW!

Now, the other interesting thing he said was the reason alcoholism is so rampant in American society-esp. native Americans, is that alcohol is so very new to us, and we haven't had enough time (as in generations) to weed it out. Alcoholics die early, have poor relationship skills....choosing the bottle over the woman/man, so no offspring...so, no passed on genetics, etc.

He said if you look at some of the older ethnic groups, asians, middle easterners (and some others, but, I forgot who he said), alcohol has been around forever..but, there has been enough time to weed it out. That, really, there is some 'truth' to the irish being drunks (what we hear in folklore)...cause it is still new to them....this is especially evident in native americans..where alcohol has only been around for 500 years or so.

Now, I don't know if any of this is true. Maybe the presenter was just making it up- he was a lawyer, after all. But, isn't it an interesting point of view?

Kfamr
12-29-2003, 02:10 PM
First, the guy was saying...it isn't that the JOB causes alcoholicism..since that is heredity/genetics at work, but, that alcoholics tend to go towards that type of advanced degree- either cause they feel way better than others (like me, right Kay?)

Huh??:confused: :confused:

trayi52
12-29-2003, 03:48 PM
Thats what I say. Huh??

2kitties
12-29-2003, 03:55 PM
I think it is a really interesting theory. And sounds like a credible one too.

babolaypo65
12-29-2003, 05:05 PM
Now, the other interesting thing he said was the reason alcoholism is so rampant in American society-esp. native Americans, is that alcohol is so very new to us, and we haven't had enough time (as in generations) to weed it out. Alcoholics die early, have poor relationship skills....choosing the bottle over the woman/man, so no offspring...so, no passed on genetics, etc

Keep in mind though, that Native Americans metabolize sugar (and the sugar in alcohol) VERY differently than the average caucasian. So part of the high incidence of alcoholism among NA communities is related to that....

tatsxxx11
12-29-2003, 05:35 PM
I have absolutely no tolerance for people who abuse alcohol or drugs at the expense of another. I have seen two many people wheeled into the ER or recovery room, d.o.a., fatalities of someone else's "i*n*d*e*s*c*r*e*s*t*i*o*n. The pathetic irony of it all is that it's usually the drunk driver who survives. If someone chooses to kill themselves, slowly or swiftly, through his/her over indulgence in alcohol or drugs, well, I suppose that is their choice. However, I wonder if they realize that in so doing, they also destroy many other lives along the way, if not in the physical sense, then surely emotionally. That's the reason Alanon was created. Alocholism destroyed my childhood.

2 Kitties...you wrote...
I think the US does itself a disservice on so many issues. We don't adequatly educate teens about sex, we don't provide birth control options, we set these silly drinking ages, we don't legalize a harmless smoking substance, etc. If you look at European countries who have their heads out of their ***es and understand we don't need to apply puritan laws to the masses, you'll see their drinking/drug related deaths and their teen pregnancy rates are much much lower than the US. I think the moral majority in the US is a wonderful thing, until teens suffer because of it.

I agree with you to a point, but a specious arguement none the less. Perhaps, in our desire, misguided (???) efforts to protect our children from the harmful and untoward ramifications of sex, alcohol, etc we have created a culture which makes the "forbidden fruit" all the more tempting and ultimately "dangerous."

However, once must question then where does the concept of personal accountabilty come into play??? Therein lies the quandry. You don't want "puritan laws" to set parmeters within which our citizens must function? Well then I challenge both youth and adults to set responsible and ethical guidelines of their own. Perhaps parents have fallen short in their role in this respect. If you don't want "Mommy," or the government, or "big brother" mandating accepatable paradigms of behavior, then have the common sense to set your own and abide by them.

You reference "Eurpoean" nations who "have their heads out of their ***es." Well, I'm of Eurpoean descent, 1st generation and have in the past and still visit my family in Norway and Sweden often. You know, I really don't know what the legal "drinking age" is there. But, I can tell you this. The legal definition of intoxication is far lower than ours though the rate of alcoholism is higher, as it is in many European countries. AND, if you are caught driving while drunk, the penalties far swifter and more severe, I assure you! There, the kids and adults, if planning a night out drinking or whatever, DO NOT DRIVE! They take the bus, the train or walk or drive with someone not drinking or party at home. Yes, the fatality rate of deaths by drunk drivers is much lower than that of the U.S. but NOT because of the absence of "head of their ***es," puritan law. If someone has a real problem with substance abuse (as I acknowledge it is an illness) then it is incumbant upon THEM to pull THEIR heads out of THEIR ***es and get help. That's what "sick" people do; seek help for an illness.

For the rest of us, as the Greeks in their wisdom so simply yet so exquisitely put it..."Everything in moderation." That is one precept that has guided my life decisions and served me well. And use some common sense and apply some personal accountablity. We as individuals don't exist in a vacuum and our individual actions can and do have far reaching effects, both positive and negative.

2kitties
12-29-2003, 06:05 PM
Tatsxxx1, I agree with you that personal accountability must come into play. Most definitely. My point, I suppose, stems from the attitude our schools and many parents take towards sex and alcohol. It is so forbidden and never discussed, it becomes attractive. And, in turn, becomes deadly. Kids don't understand drinking in moderation because they're in such a hurry to go out and drink as much as they can while they have an opportunity. And they are out having rediculously risky sex because they aren't taught or given the proper precautions. So I guess I don't see how it is completely specious, but, like all things, it will have exception.

I used the term "heads in their ***es" because that is precisely what comes to mind. I listened just the other day to a woman who talked on and on about how wonderful her teenage daughter had become and she knew for a fact she'd never smoke, drink or have premarital sex because they had told her it was all wrong. All I could think of was that her head was somewhere other than upon her shoulders.

lizbud
12-29-2003, 06:05 PM
I heard a very interesting comment this am, while attending a seminar on Ethics, Professionalism and Substance Abuse. As a lawyer, we are required, like many professions, to obtain 'credits' for our licensing requirements. Now, this is not the entire commentary...and, I may get some of it backwards, but, I found it fascinating.

He said if you look at some of the older ethnic groups, asians, middle easterners (and some others, but, I forgot who he said), alcohol has been around forever..but, there has been enough time to weed it out. That, really, there is some 'truth' to the irish being drunks (what we hear in folklore)...cause it is still new to them....this is especially evident in native americans..where alcohol has only been around for 500 years or so.

Now, I don't know if any of this is true. Maybe the presenter was just making it up- he was a lawyer, after all. But, isn't it an interesting point of view?

I think it's interesting, but an incorrect conclusion.
Oh, btw, my daughter practices Law in Illinois now, but had to
complete 30 minutes class time, (right 30 min.) to complete her
Indiana requirements to practice here.:rolleyes:

As for the Irish not being used to spirits, check this out;

http://homepage.tinet.ie/~bunrattywinery/historymead.htm

I believe it's an adults individual's duty to be responsible for their own choices. Stressing the word adult.:)

trayi52
12-29-2003, 06:25 PM
2k I want to be the kind of mother that my daughter can talk to, and be able to tell me anything. People may disapprove of the way I handle my daughter, she is 18 now by the way. I always stressed that I wanted her to talk to me about everything, and I am not one of those parents that says no my daughter would never do "that". I am lucky enough to know that she does talk to me about just about everything, including sex. I have learned you don't get angry and start yelling at them, that does nothing but turn them off, and then how do you try to point them in the right direction if they have stopped listening. Always be ready to listen to your teenager without yelling. It works so great.

Lin has told me a lot of the things she does. I am not saying she doesn't keep secrets from me, I know she does.

I don't want to be one of those people that ends up in the er, waiting to find out if my child is dead or alive. Thats why I would rather she not sneak around behind my back to drink. She knows this.

I have raised 2 other children that are now living out on their own, and I tell them the same thing, never, never yell at your child for telling you the truth. Be there for them, I always told them, I may not approve of what you do, and may even lecture a little, but I will never yell.

Willie

Karen
12-29-2003, 06:34 PM
There is SOME proven connection between genetics and alcoholism, but it is not impossible for a person with "non-addictive" genes. Also, it is not necessarily true that a child with "alcoholic" genes will become an alcoholic. Many things factor into alcoholism. An alcoholic can have any genetic heritage, and just about any background. As for stereotypical "drunks" by occupation, remember, I went to art school. The "mind-altered (drunk or high) artist" is a truism.

Just for the record, I have known non-obnoxious people who became very obnoxious when drunk. I know people who are "recovering alcoholics," a couple "active" alcoholics, and people raised by alcoholics.

I have always been turned off by people bragging about how much they drank, how drunk or stoned they were.

There are so many lovely non-alcoholic drinks to discuss, some of my favorites are Chai tea (of many sorts) and hot chocolate in cold weather.

catland
12-29-2003, 06:46 PM
This past Friday I had the opportunity to drink Crown Royal Special Reserve. I was visiting my brother in Texas who got married on Saturday.

It was very smooth and nice.

That said - I do have alcoholics on both sides of my family and I have seen it destroy people. However, as a country we learned that prohibition didn't work. I think that education is the best way (along with very strict drinking and driving laws) to keep people from getting out of control.

carole
12-29-2003, 09:29 PM
Karen you raise some good points in your thread, I want everyone to know that Alcoholism is a disease like any other, and it is genetic, infact the child of an alcoholic parent is at a much greater risk, however that does not necessarily mean he/she will become one.

I strongly believe you can still become dependant on alcohol, as with any other addiction, so genes donot always play a part in it, I know this may sound a little contradictory, but I hope you can understand where I am coming with this one.

For example my mother had an alcoholic father, she choose never ever to touch the stuff, and never has, however had she drank, would she be an alcoholic? who know's?, however her fathers drinking was part of a more sinister hereditary disease,not known about at the time.

I know most people depise Alcoholics, mainly because of the pain and suffering and disruption they cause to their families,and the innocent lives they take, I have no time for drunk driver's myself and say throw the book at them, however it is something they cannot control, unless they have help and even then its not always helpful, there is no cure, only abstinance for life, and like any other addiction that is not always easy.

Being bitter and angry all my life, would only hurt myself in the end, I still don't like what alcohol does to people, and what it did to my life and my son's, but one has to move on., and be at peace with one self.

I have been on the other end, the one suffering because of Alcoholism, I have been through programmes with my ex-partner, I have seen him on anti-buse a drug, that if you drink you become so sick you need to be hospitalised, I have had all the counseling, and although it was a terrible time in my life, I can still feel for him and how this awful drug affected him, to this day I often wander if he is free of this infliction.

I have had to wonder if my son has inherited this gene, or was he just going throught that faze of drinking binges like all other young people, I have had my serious doubts, however I am relieved to say, my son hardly drinks now, just on occasions, and he does still drink a little too much, but no more than any of his other friends, and he does NOT drink and drive.

micki76
12-29-2003, 09:58 PM
I am a social drinker and have several alcoholics in my family. Is it genetic or maybe learned behavior to an extent? For example, I've noticed that on my mother's side of the family the children of her 10 siblings who were alcoholics tend to be the parents of the next generation of alcoholics. And so on and so on. My mother refused to even touch alcohol because she was afraid of what might happen to her and never drank a drop her entire life. I only a social drinker, though (not bragging) I can handle a lot more alcohol than most other women and a lot of men that I know. My cousin who was raised the same way is identical to me.

What I'm basically saying is that it seems to be genetic and learned behavior , too. I have the predisposition to become an alcoholic and if it's a behavior that I'm exposed to, and is part of my rearing, I am even more likely to abuse it.

Hmmm.... never thought this much about it before.

My favorite drinks are Sex on the Beach and Pina Colada. :)

Lady's Human
12-30-2003, 12:02 AM
Personal Favorite drink is Irish Coffee. My apologies to my teetotaling sister. I think it has to go with the line of work.

Rio and Me
12-30-2003, 05:09 AM
I start the evening of with vodka and orange, go on to shots (with friends) aftershock (aniseed) is the best shot drink, then slow down with alcopops.
I drank alcohol under age, my parents knew, they were fine with it as long as i was sensible, (which i was).
the legal age to drink here is 18, drive 17, sex 16, vote 18 etc.
I'm the only one who can "drive"/own a car, so most of the time i'm sobber and drive my mates around, I dont have a problem with that because i dont need alcohol to have fun, i just like it, then when we got home they all crashed out and i had my vodka and orange in front of a good film, he he he
Ky and Rio

Cataholic
12-30-2003, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by Karen

I have always been turned off by people bragging about how much they drank, how drunk or stoned they were.

Karen,
Just last night at the gym...I over heard this guy BRAGGING about his previous night's bender...He said to this guy that looked like he belonged on the cover of a magazine for weight lifters, "Man, I didn't get out of bed until 5(meaning 5 pm). I gotta stop doing this". This body builder guy said, "You would think so"...and walked away. It was funny.

Of all people to brag about your drinking to....someone that prolly watches every iota that goes into his body....sheesh.

Kfamr
12-30-2003, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
Huh??:confused: :confused:

I'm still confused as to what you meant by that. Please fill me in.

cloverfdx
01-02-2004, 03:00 AM
My fav drink would have to be Midori illusion shakers :) but at $15 a shaker i dont have them too often.

As for drinking in general, i think it is fine in moderation and if you can handle it.
but having said that...

A guy one of my friends used to go out with and his friend drove from his house to the house that we had our new years party at the other night (an 1 hour drive) completly drunk (he realy was off his bald brainless head) he killed 1 rabbit on the way over and just missed a dog, and it is a wonder they did not kill themselves :mad: i could not belive it :( bloody idiot.

lol as for Will and Grace I LOVE THAT SHOW i want my own lil Just Jack :D and Karen is too funny.

Tonya
01-04-2004, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by trayi52
I have to say it, I like some alcoholic beverages, but I learned the hard way to limit my drinking.

The last time I drank to much Smirnoff, it is just so good, I kept drinking and finally I was what you would call "worshiping the porcelain bowl". I was so sick, I had to crawl to bed that night!

Now I limit my drinks, so I don't have to hug the bowl!

Willie

I'm up at 4am, bored, so I have to tell a story. It'll make you appreciate the fact that you at least made it to the toilet! I met up with a group of friends at Applebees. Aside from my husband, all these friends were longtime internet friends. So although we knew eachother well, this was only our second time hanging out in person. Well, the birthday girl's bf dumped her right beforehand. So we were waiting for about 4 hours for her to show up at Applebees. (She had to shower again after crying a bunch.) Well, we didn't want to eat without her. I hadn't eaten all day. So what better thing to do while we wait for 4 hours? Drink double margaritas. By the time my food came, I was so full on alcohol that I didn't eat.

So, we go to a nightclub. I must say...I had on stilletto heels and never fell. lol. Anyways, out of the blue I insisted on leaving. No one knew why and they were trying to talk me into staying. I'd seemed sober to them...but the alcohol had just hit me all at once....Like a freight train.

So, we go out to the truck. (Without my purse :rolleyes: ) And everyone is standing there talking to me through the truck window. Trying to figure out why I want to leave so fast. (I was still acting sober at this point.)

No cue, or anything....I hurled on all of them! It was so horrible. I was so embarrassed the next day. I'll never ever ever drink like that again. Since then, we've all become the best of friends. I like to tease Wendy (the one that caught most of the puke) that it was her initiation. -Now I know she's a true friend. ;)

Cataholic
01-04-2004, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Tonya
No cue, or anything....I hurled on all of them! Since then, we've all become the best of friends. I like to tease Wendy (the one that caught most of the puke) that it was her initiation. -Now I know she's a true friend. ;)

(Johanna's variation on a Dear John letter):
Dear Tonya,
After throwing up on ME, please consider our friendship OVER!
Sincerely,
Your former friend, Johanna

:D

2kitties
01-04-2004, 02:12 PM
Chris and I smuggled Rumplemints into a movie once. He had told me about how he and an old girlfriend used to take shooters etc. Well, of course I couldn't be outdone. So I played along. and played. and played. and played.
That night, I hurled on his living room floor several times- remembering none of it the next morning.
Poor guy had to not only clean up the mess, but give me a bath and get me to bed. He was a really good sport about it. He still loves me to this day, but no longer dares me to do shooters!!! I think he deserved it for comparing me to another woman. I am like NO OTHER WOMAN. Now he knows that:cool: :D ;)

Tonya
01-04-2004, 05:49 PM
:p

cali
01-04-2004, 05:53 PM
I dont drink anything with alcohol I wont even drink wine both my mom and dad have tried to convince me to have some win on special occasions I refused lol nothing to do with the alcohol thing has everything to do with that I am EXTREMLY picky and something does not look or smell good to me, I aint gonna have any :p

mahayana
01-07-2004, 07:04 AM
Cali- you are smart to avoid alcohol. It is just an organic solvent, a byproduct of things rotting. Your body has no need of it, but knows how to convert it to sugars, since people have been eating rotten stuff for a long time.

One funny story I think of involves a friend who is a diabetic chemist. He can't drink, and refers to alcohol as "yeast poop."

People like the warm feeling as alcohol penetrates all the cell walls throughout their bodies. The feeling of being "out of control" as it affects your brain is pleasant to some, but if you drink too much you may temporarily get a bit disorganized.

That said, there are many drinks which taste good! My favorite right now is a tall glass of orange juice with a shot of apricot brandy mixed in. Add a squirt of lemon juice and they call it a Sourball.

Sweet drinks like Pina Coladas and Eggnog with a bit of rum and nutmeg are tasty, too!

Tonya
01-07-2004, 11:40 AM
You're right, mahayana. There's a reason for the feeling wierd and hangovers. It's poison.

2kitties
01-07-2004, 11:52 AM
Interesting thing I learned:
People tend to get "crazier" with tequila than with other alcohols because it is a stimulant, whereas other alcohols are depressants.

sirrahved
01-07-2004, 11:56 AM
Beer. REAL beer, not crappy big american brewery kinds. We've just started brewing our own:)

tikeyas_mom
01-08-2004, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by 2kitties
Interesting thing I learned:
People tend to get "crazier" with tequila than with other alcohols because it is a stimulant, whereas other alcohols are depressants.

heyyy... tikeyas name is kinda pronoiunced tequila. lol pplalways mistake that for being her name:rolleyes: