PDA

View Full Version : Shogun

slleipnir
12-27-2003, 11:40 PM
Curious if anyone has read the book or seen the series? My brother got the series for his b-day so I watched it then, and am now reading the book. I loved the series so I'm hoping that will modivate me to finish this (1150 page) book :X Unfortunatly I've never read a book over 400-500 pages lol so this will be something ;D It's about the first english people to discover Japan in the 1800s. It has a lot about Japanese and their culture. Anywho, pointless thread, but has anyone heard of it? Do you like it?

G.P.girl
12-27-2003, 11:43 PM
i've never heard of it...:confused:

slleipnir
12-27-2003, 11:48 PM
It's very old..lol. Its a fictional thingie..
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0440178002/ref=sib_rdr_dp/102-2711262-5253721?%5Fencoding=UTF8&no=283155&me=ATVPDKIKX0DER&st=books There are reviews on the bottom there that can explain it better then I can lol..

Crikit
12-27-2003, 11:51 PM
I've heard of it, and I think I've even seen part of it when the history channel was showing it. I haven't read the book yet but there are times when I see it at work and think I should pick it up and read it but then I think there are so many more interesting shorter books about both modern day and ancient Japan and I end up reading those first. :D

Can you say slacker? :D ;) I knew you could

slleipnir
12-28-2003, 12:03 AM
Hehe, I'm the same :X But I decided to try this on as a challenge. I shall let you know in 3 years if I finish it ;)

CatDad
12-28-2003, 03:31 AM
I have read it and the other ones that Clavell did. I really liked it, but I like books about that sort of thing.

I would recomend it, but it all depends on what you are after in a book.

tatsxxx11
12-28-2003, 08:24 AM
You'll love the book Audrey, especially if you liked the mini series. I read the book years ago and it's still a favorite. It will transport you to another world!:) It's filled with beautiful imagery, history, ancient Japanese culture and it's a great love story to boot. Of course I may be prejudiced; I love Richard Chamberlain and my husband's Japanese:)

joycenalex
12-28-2003, 08:56 AM
loved the movie, loved the book. Richard Chamberlain was king of the miniseries in the 1980s. i've read other clavell books. he does have a feel for writing fiction about asia from an english perspective

amoore
12-28-2003, 09:02 AM
LOL I bet the young'uns don't know who Dr. Killdare and Dr. Ben Casey are either!

(kind of early ER)

Learning about Japan and China is a great adventure!

Edwina's Secretary
12-28-2003, 10:03 AM
I read it years ago...long but well worth the effort!

K9soul
12-28-2003, 08:17 PM
Just noticed this thread. I have just been reading Clavell's novels, beginning with Shogun and going through them chronologically. I just finished Gai-Jin last night and started King Rat today. I have also read Tai-Pan.

When I first began Shogun it took me awhile to really get into it. So many characters and elements involved, but the stories are unforgetable. I think so far Shogun has been my favorite, but I did really enjoy Gai-Jin as well. What a talented writer, who knows how to truly illustrate humanity in all its various cultures.

carole
12-28-2003, 08:21 PM
I saw the mini-series some time ago, but I only watched it because my fav actor of all time Richard Chamberlain was in it, but it was indeed still a good story, well worth watching.