PDA

View Full Version : I think my computer has a virus...

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
12-27-2003, 05:56 PM
Yep, when I turn it on, it won't let me do anything, those error windows just pop up that say "[xxx] has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down." and it won't let me click on anything.

:(Help:(

primabella
12-27-2003, 06:02 PM
I used to get those all the time. My hard drive crashed. :(

trayi52
12-27-2003, 06:04 PM
Do you have a good virus program? If so start your computer in safe mode and do a virus scan.

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
12-27-2003, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by trayi52
Do you have a good virus program? If so start your computer in safe mode and do a virus scan.

How do I do that? God help me... lol

trayi52
12-27-2003, 06:24 PM
Restart your computer and then do an F8, and if you are running windows xp or me, then you need to turn off the system restore before you do this, so you don't go back and start the virus all over again.

If you are running xp or me then, and you can remember the last time you computer run smoothly then you just might could do a system restore. That is if it is not a virus. In a way it sounds like you may have some missing files. What operating system are you running?

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
12-27-2003, 06:26 PM
We have a Windows 98, if that's what you're talking about. *Doesn't know much about this stuff* It's been through lots lol.

trayi52
12-27-2003, 06:33 PM
Here is some items I found on the different operating systems.

Starting Windows 95 in Safe Mode

If your computer is off, switch it on to boot up.
If your computer is on, close all open programs. Go to Start and select Shutdown, click on Restart and OK.
While the screen is black with white writing, wait until you see the text, "Starting Windows 95". Press the F8 key and then choose Safe Mode from the Windows 95 Startup menu. Allow the machine to finish booting.

Starting Windows 98 and ME in Safe Mode

Method 1

Start or restart your computer.
While your computer is booting up, press and hold the CTRL key until the Windows 98 Startup menu is displayed.
Select the Safe Mode menu option (usually no.3) from the Startup menu, and then press ENTER.

Method 2

Close all open programs.
Click Start, Programs, Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Information.
On the Tools menu, click System Configuration Utility.
Click on Advanced, and then click to select the Enable Startup Menu check box.
Click OK, click OK, and then restart your computer when you are prompted to do so.
Select the Safe Mode menu option from the Startup menu, and then press ENTER.

Method 3

Close all open programs.
Click Start and then click Run. In the Run dialog box, type the word "msconfig" but without the quotation marks. Click OK.
When the System Configuration Utility box appears, click Advanced.
The Advanced Troubleshooting Settings box appears. Click to select the Enable Startup Menu check box.
Click OK, click OK again, and then restart your computer when you are prompted to do so.
The computer will start in Safe Mode.

Restarting Your Computer in Normal Mode

Close any programs that may have been activated while in Safe Mode.
Go back through the above steps and uncheck the box Enable Startup Menu.
Go to Start and select Shutdown, click on Restart and OK.
Do not interrupt the start up process by pressing any keys.

trayi52
12-27-2003, 06:37 PM
Have you tried running scandisk, and letting it fix your problems?