PDA

View Full Version : Do you think this is a good deal?? :-?

Amber
12-26-2003, 08:23 PM
Im sure everyone knows how much I have been wanting another dog. Ive came up with a deal I could possibly make with my parents. in 3 months it will be my birthday, march 6. and ill be 14. If I can show im responsible for another dog during that time period I can get a dog for my birthday, or somewhere around there. Do you think it is a good deal?

P.S. Do deaf dogs make good family pets? There is a deaf austrailian shepard mix at our shelter and he is a cutie!

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
12-26-2003, 08:28 PM
I would love to get a deaf dog, there's just something about em... :) A deaf dog isn't any different then any other dog.

Tweety_Pie
12-26-2003, 09:19 PM
that is a great idea! :D

GoldenRetrLuver
12-26-2003, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by ILoveMyAbbyGirl
A deaf dog isn't any different then any other dog.

Oh yes they are. They need special, firm training unlike other dogs. Most places teach "sign language" to the owners, and the owners teach the dogs using sign language. A dog at our shelter is deaf, and was abandoned there, simply because the owners couldn't handle it.

Owning a deaf dog is a big resposibility, but I bet it's quite rewarding once you get the hang of it.

Amber
12-26-2003, 09:28 PM
Yeah, deaf dogs need alot of work. It would be a hard challenge but very rewarding!

Tonya
12-26-2003, 09:55 PM
Anything is a good deal when it comes to getting a new doggy! :D

Amber
12-26-2003, 10:05 PM
yeah!

binka_nugget
12-26-2003, 10:47 PM
Sounds like a good deal. :)

I'd love to own a deaf rescued dog one day. Seeing as how there are so many deaf border collies and aussies (being my all time favorite breeds), I'll definately go for one someday. You'll just need to be really strict with training and find a good trainer who's dealt with deaf dogs before. I read about a couple who had a deaf aussie and taught it to come when the collar vibrated. They had a little film canister with some sort of gadgit in there. It was a good idea....come will probably be the most important command you teach a deaf dog. Good luck!

Amber
12-26-2003, 10:59 PM
Thanks Binka....Im doing soo muh research for deaf dogs.
anyone know any really good sites?

Dink (http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=2332954&adTarget=468doggeneral&SessionID=3fed11c870eb7b6e-app2&display=&preview=1&row=0&tmpl=)

trayi52
12-27-2003, 12:06 AM
My husband used to own a deaf blue tick hound dog, she hunted coons, she was truly amazing, and funny. It didn't seem to stop her from doing anything, she hunted, and done what she wanted. We had no problems with her at all.

I had a blind pekingnese too, the vet told me to just not move the furniture around, he done really great, knew where the door was, he had a certain area, he went out to do his pottying, he knew where his water and food was. The gate got left open somehow, and he managed to get out the gate, but he was just walking around in a circle. He was so sweet.

They may have had their disabilites, but they done just fine.

I think it is a good idea, when I have taught my dogs obedience, I have always used the hand signals too, so they knew what to do either way. So I say go for it, if that is what you want to do.:)

Willie

Kfamr
12-27-2003, 06:25 AM
I don't see why it wouldn't be a good 'deal', although don't be disappointed if they turn you down. I wouldn't tell them hat you're going to be more repsonsible or that you're going to show responsibilty to get a dog, because then they'll just think you're going to quit after you get what you want (not say that you would.) Especially don't be sad if the dog you have your eyes on is snatched up quick or gone by that time.

I'd just bring it up that you'd really like a dog, and since the next really special day is your birthday, and it gives them alot of time to think about the big decision, that you'd like to add a new member to the family. Ask them to drive you to the pound frequently so you guys can look at the different dogs and talk to them. I promise you there will be one all of you fall in love with. It may not be 'the one' but it will get you closer and closer to 'the one'. (Gee, can you tell i've done this before? :p )

All in all though, it's Katie's decision. :p

Amber
12-27-2003, 10:46 AM
Thank Kay! Its definatly has to be Katies decision. That is a good idea to have them drive me there to see the dogs in all. Thanks!! :D

Shelteez2
12-27-2003, 01:15 PM
I agree with Kfamr. Don't tell your parents you are going to start being more responsible just do it. Then when you bring the subject up you can ask if they've noticed how you've been feeeding/walking/cleaning up after Katie without being asked, or how you've been taking out the garbage/cleaning your room/doing the dishes etc without being asked.
As for deaf dogs they can be quite a challenge, especially if you don't have a lot of training experience. That doesn't mean it can't be done though. Your whole family has to realize what a challenge it will be, albeit a rewarding challenge. You may end up with a dog that can never go off leash, although some can be trained to respond to a vibrating collar (http://www.deafdogs.org/training/vibratrain.html)

I know a lady from another board that does deaf dog rescue. I asked her for some links, and while she hasn't gotten back to me yet, another person on those boards who's adopted a deaf dog from her gave me these:
http://www.deafdogs.org/

http://www.deafdogsatlas.com/

And finally a deaf dog message board that I believe is run by the rescuer I mentioned above:
http://www.voy.com/140866/

Anyways, good luck with your plan, I hope it all works out.

CamCamPup33
12-27-2003, 01:42 PM
Exactly what kay said.. I think its a good idea and should be very rewarding to own a deaf dog, but in my opionion i would be scared.. I mean, what if you opened the door and the dog shot outside into the road, he has no way of knowing you say to come back, unless he is looking at you.. Im not trying to scare you away from the idea or anything because thats not what im doing at all.. I just would be scared.. :o

Amber
12-27-2003, 01:47 PM
Thankyou for those links! Ill check out the message board
camcam- I know exactly what your saying..I thought about that too. it would be terrifying if that happened.

Shelteez2
12-27-2003, 02:32 PM
The rescuer I was talking about just gave me her list of links.
http://catatonic.freeservers.com/penny/deafdogs.html
Also she said I could pass her email along to you if you'd like it. If you want it send me a PM and I'll give it to you :)

Amber
12-27-2003, 02:41 PM
Thankyou for the link...Sure you can send me it

joycenalex
12-27-2003, 03:03 PM
amber, in a few years, you'll be leaving your parents home to start your own life, college, travel,job, whatever. who will be taking care of your animals in 4 years as you turn 18? will your parents be willing to take care of 3 dogs while you're in college? that's asking a lot of them too. will you be able to support yourself and the health/food needs of 3 dogs after you graduate from high school and are having fun with friends? it'll be alot like having 3 children with the responsibility. i know from your previous posts that you are developing into a responsible individual, but being furparent is a lot of work on your own.( i'd love another dog, but i realize i can't do all the things i need to, and do right by another dog. ) while i'm not trying to actively discourage you, there are big changes for you in the near future and you should be aware of them. thanks for listening, and i'm really not being a wet blanket. joyce

Amber
12-27-2003, 03:33 PM
I dont have 3 dogs..hehe..Right now i only have 1 dog Katie. (in my sig) she is about 8 years old. She is my moms dog. If I we were to get another dog, that would be mine my parents would definatly watch and take care of it. My parents are big animal lovers. They would help me take care of it when Im older, they'd never leave me hanging hehe.

tikeyas_mom
12-27-2003, 07:20 PM
i totally agree with GoldenRetrLuver, deaf dogs need alot of special training, and if they dont get it, then i feel so sorry for the owners!! :eek:..

I would lvoe to adopt a deaf male siberian husky one day. Man O' man, that would be sweet. :D:D

lv4dogs
12-29-2003, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by GoldenRetrLuver
Oh yes they are. They need special, firm training unlike other dogs. Most places teach "sign language" to the owners, and the owners teach the dogs using sign language. A dog at our shelter is deaf, and was abandoned there, simply because the owners couldn't handle it.

Owning a deaf dog is a big resposibility, but I bet it's quite rewarding once you get the hang of it.

I agree, I also want to add that especially in this case as the dog is part Aussie, which is a breed I reccomend a first time dog owner NOT to get as they reqire tons & tons of excersize, they are very smart & independant. They are great dogs just I think they are for the more experienced owner

My Peanuts
12-29-2003, 04:45 PM
I think your idea is great. If your parents are anything like mine they will go for it. I also think it is great that you are thinking of adopting a dog with special needs. Before we adopt Harley I tried to adopt a blind Pug named Wesco. Wesco was up for adoption for a long time and it just so happened that the weekend I got a yes from my parents was the same weekend he was adopted :-( . I don't have any experience personally with a deaf dog, but I do with a blind one. Dogs seem to adjust to their surroundings well, so it shouldn't be a problem.

By the way, your birthday is the same as Sylvia's and you seem a lot more mature than 14. You seem like you could handle the responsibility of training a deaf pup. :D However, it is your decision and any dog from a shelter would be a good choice. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Amber
12-29-2003, 05:55 PM
Thanks! Wow same birthday as Sylvia! Thats Cool!! :D