PDA

View Full Version : Molly: Only has about 2 more years to live.

petlover
12-26-2003, 12:37 PM
I got some terrible news this morning. I don't really know what to say. I feel so bad.
M

Molly has always had a problem with her legs twisting. Everyone kept on saying it would be ok. ( Since she was born like that;) .)
But, now I know the truth. Noone was telling me because.... Well, because I love animals so much. But they had NO RIGHT to hide it from me.
Molly is developing arthritus in her back legs. There is nothing that we can give her to cure it. The arthritus is too packed in there. In a couple of years Molly's legs are just going to collapse on her and we are going to have to put her down.:(
I will be able to enjoy atleast a year with her.

But the day we have to lay her in the ground...

Will be the day I cross my heart...

To never slack on loving...

To anyone anywhere... ( Sorry if you did not get that...

:( :( :( :( :(

Tonya
12-26-2003, 12:40 PM
I am so sorry to hear that. How old is Molly?

petlover
12-26-2003, 12:41 PM
Molly is 22. She is too old to start her on some medication anyways. It would just make her sicker...:( :(

trayi52
12-26-2003, 12:45 PM
I am sorry to hear about Molly, I was wondering though is Molly a dog? Sorry to be so ignorant, but jut wondering.

petlover
12-26-2003, 12:53 PM
Oh no!!! You are not being ignorant. Molly is a horse.:)

carole
12-26-2003, 12:56 PM
I am so sad to hear this about Molly, yes I was wondering is Molly a dog, I ask because I have seen dogs who have attachments, that have wheels on the back, for dogs who can no longer walk, or have had some injury,(like in the film Babe in the city), I wonder if that is a possiblilty for Molly.

If not just cherish the moments left you have with Molly, each and every one will indeed be precious, as long as you can keep Molly comfortable and medicated with Pain relief, her last years should be ok.

HUGS to you, I know you are feeling awful just now, and there is not much one can say to ease your sadness, just know we are all here for you ok sweetie.:)

dukedogsmom
12-26-2003, 01:14 PM
Have you tried MSM in her food? I've heard it helps a lot and it could prolong her problem. I would talk to the vet and see what other options you have. I wouldn't give up yet. A lot can happen in 2 years. Have faith for her. It could make a lot of difference. Definately check on the MSM, though.

trayi52
12-26-2003, 01:15 PM
Okay, she is quite a horse, so she is 22 did you say? How long have you had her?

Desert Arabian
12-26-2003, 01:30 PM
There are a some things that can be done for Molly to reduce her pain and help her feel better!!

You have to work with the affected legs. Stretching them is an excellent way to battle arthritis. Pick up the sore legs and stretch them slowly forward and backwards, about 10 times. Do that exercise about 3 to 4 times a week. By doing this it helps the cartilage in the knees, and helps the soft tissues. The stretching also works the muscles, improves the circulation to the arthritic areas, helps prevent injury, etc.

Hmm...what else might help Molly!?!? *Thinking*

Call the equine vet and talk to him/her about possibly putting Molly on joint supplements. There are many nutrients that help the horses joints, and the supplements that the vet gives you will improve the joint health of Molly. This is probably the most important thing.

Put ice on the joints. Hold it on there for 5 minutes then take it off for about 15 minutes, then put it back on for 5 minutes. Do this about 3 times in a row.

You could also put on a standing bandage to reduce the inflammation/swelling of Molly's joints.

EDITED TO ADD: 22 years old is not too terribly old, she can still be treated. There are horses at my local barn & camp that are 30+. Heck, old man Thunder passed away a couple of months ago at the age of 36 I believe.

petlover
12-26-2003, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by trayi52
Okay, she is quite a horse, so she is 22 did you say? How long have you had her?

I have had her for 2 years I believe.

petlover
12-26-2003, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by YellowLabLover
There are a some things that can be done for Molly to reduce her pain and help her feel better!!

You have to work with the affected legs. Stretching them is an excellent way to battle arthritis. Pick up the sore legs and stretch them slowly forward and backwards, about 10 times. Do that exercise about 3 to 4 times a week. By doing this it helps the cartilage in the knees, and helps the soft tissues. The stretching also works the muscles, improves the circulation to the arthritic areas, helps prevent injury, etc.

Hmm...what else might help Molly!?!? *Thinking*

Call the equine vet and talk to him/her about possibly putting Molly on joint supplements. There are many nutrients that help the horses joints, and the supplements that the vet gives you will improve the joint health of Molly. This is probably the most important thing.

Put ice on the joints. Hold it on there for 5 minutes then take it off for about 15 minutes, then put it back on for 5 minutes. Do this about 3 times in a row.

You could also put on a standing bandage to reduce the inflammation/swelling of Molly's joints.

EDITED TO ADD: 22 years old is not too terribly old, she can still be treated. There are horses at my local barn & camp that are 30+. Heck, old man Thunder passed away a couple of months ago at the age of 36 I believe.

Thanks for all of the info..:) I will try it!!:D

bluekat
12-26-2003, 03:32 PM
I'm sorry to hear about Molly, hopefully she can get better by what YLL told you to do.:)
Who knows, she might get to live for a lot more years!

Cataholic
12-26-2003, 03:39 PM
I am sorry to hear this news about Molly. BUT, there is alot of time left, in my opinion!

I know water exercises help humans with arthritis..would it help Molly, too?

Felicia's Mom
12-26-2003, 03:49 PM
I have not suggestions for you. Just want to say how sorry I am.

Desert Arabian
12-26-2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic
I know water exercises help humans with arthritis..would it help Molly, too?

Most likely YES! :D Because it takes all of the weight off the joints so it is easier on the horse, just like with people! :D

slick
12-26-2003, 08:44 PM
Too bad about Molly. I don't have any experience with horses so I can't offer any suggestions, just my support.

The others have certainly offered some great things to try. I'd say it's worth a shot.

Horses have a special place in my heart. When I was a child, I begged my Dad for a horse, but we lived in the city. I have friends with horses and a couple of times a year I spend a weekend making horse treats; cookies and muffins.

Hugs to you and Molly.

tikeyas_mom
12-27-2003, 12:45 AM
what a nice looking horse, i am so sorry she might not live very much longer. :(:(

Miss Meow
12-27-2003, 01:01 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about Molly.

YLL has given some great advice. A joint supplement to try is glucosamine, which you can get from most health food stores or pharmacies. It helps humans with arthritis pain and I know people who use it on their elderly cats and horses, with success.

A friend has a thoroughbred in his late 20s, and he's arthritic in his legs. He's shown relief with the use of a magnetic rug, strange but true.

Good luck with any treatment you can find. Fingers crossed that Molly's quality of life improves.

ChrisH
12-27-2003, 09:06 AM
I am sorry to hear about Molly. But it looks like YLL has certainly given some great advice on what could help her. I am sure you will be giving it a try and we will be hearing some positive news about Molly pretty soon.:) Hope so anyway.

Good Luck and Hugs to you both.

Desert Arabian
12-27-2003, 11:22 AM
Hi Jan! I was looking around in my Valley View Vet Supply horse catalog, and I found some items that may benefit Molly. I really hope you inform an adult or someone about this, so Molly can get better! If you act now, you can help her.

As far as pain relief, which Molly most likely needs, there is a product called AspirEase. AspirEase controls the pain and inflammation caused by arthritis, lameness, and degenerative joint disease. AspirEase also contains nutrients beneficial for reducing inflammation. In the VVVS catalog they want $13.75 for 2 pounds, and $33.95. That is not that bad of a price. I am sure you can find this product at a farm/horse supply store or the vet.

In the catalogue they also have magnetic leg wraps, which increase circulation, they are asking $59-99 for them. They also have the standing leg wraps in here, and they are $14.95 for a package of 4. The wraps are machine washable and easy to apply. Look around your area and try to find them.

Another excellent product in here is GluChon-MSM-C. It is a nutritional support for joint function and lubrication. It combines glucosamine, chondritin sulfate, MSM, and Ester-C. You give it to the horse twice daily for the first 14 days then once daily. You may want to look around for this product, or similar product.

An even better product would be Synovi G3. The supplement combines glucosamine, MSM, creatine, Omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. All the ingredients work together to help repair and rebuild cartilage and joint damage, plus relieve and reduce pain and swelling. The VVCS wants $139.95 for a 7 pound tub.

**Remember, it is best to check with the vet before giving horses supplements, just to be safe.**

In this catalog, there are TONS of joint products. If I listed them all for you, it would take up 15 posts. There are 6 pages of joint suppliments in this catalog!! Maybe you should subscribe!?! It is an EXCELLENT company with TONS of stuff. Their website is http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_equine.html If I remember correctly, the catalog is free, I highly suggest you go to the website and order an equine edition of the VVVS catalogue!! You can also go to the website and browse at the products and get an idea of what Molly needs.

Please do not take this advice with a grain of salt. This is serious. You can help Molly!! Get her some help!! ;)

petlover
12-27-2003, 11:32 AM
Thank you so much YLL!!!!! My mom said that we will definately check out the magazine, get her some pain killers, and GET HER SOME ARTHRITUS TREATMENT. My mom said that we could put her on some treatment for arthritus since we could accually help her. We have just got to take a chance.
Thank you SO MUCH again. We will see about finding a vet clinic that has a place where we can exersize Molly in the water atleast once every week.:)

Thank you again. I REALLY appreciate your help.

((((((( HUGS )))))))):)

Desert Arabian
12-27-2003, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by petlover
Thank you so much YLL!!!!! My mom said that we will definately check out the magazine, get her some pain killers, and GET HER SOME ARTHRITUS TREATMENT. My mom said that we could put her on some treatment for arthritus since we could accually help her. We have just got to take a chance.
Thank you SO MUCH again. We will see about finding a vet clinic that has a place where we can exersize Molly in the water atleast once every week.:)

Thank you again. I REALLY appreciate your help.

((((((( HUGS )))))))):)

REALLY!?!?! Oh that's great!! I really hope she improves! You have to update us and she gets treatment!! :D

Toby's my baby
12-27-2003, 02:22 PM
Sorry to here about Molly. When I lost (had to be sold back to original owner)my other horse Poco Lena to heaves I was VERY sad. I know it is VERY different to actually LOSE a horse or animal to death than to going away but my prayers are with you.