PDA

View Full Version : Does it ever get easier?

K9soul
12-24-2003, 01:52 PM
I still get smitten with longing and grief for my beloved Rainbow Bridge collies Cody and Willie. It is the worst with Will... because I had an intense bond with him that I had never experienced before. I think my bond is just as strong with all my dogs, but each bond is different, and Willie's was one that particularly reached me in my darker times.

It has been four years since Cody passed, and two years since Willie did, and still they are just as vividly in my dreams, my thoughts. So many times things Tasha or Tommy do will remind me of them. Worst of all some nights, the grief hits me again as though it has just happened. Sometimes it really frightens me to think of going through it again with Tommy and Tasha, but I try to just push those thoughts away.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not in a constant state of living in the past or dwelling on the future. It's just stronger sometimes, especially around Holidays or their birthdays (Cody's would be tomorrow).

Does it ever get easier? Will there ever be a time when I will be able to think of them without that pang of grief? :(

binka_nugget
12-24-2003, 02:53 PM
:( It's perfectly normal to feel this way. I know I'll never be the same after the dreaded day when Kai and I depart. It's years away but it always crosses my mind. But when the day comes, I'll be thankful for all the wonderful times we had together. I'm sure I'll come across other dogs as I grow up but no love will be the same as mine and Kai's.

Karen
12-24-2003, 03:19 PM
Yes, some day, you will just think of the happy moements, the goofy events, the sweet times, and it will make you smile, I promise. And when you are an old person, you can bore all young visitors with tails of Willie and Cody.

dukedogsmom
12-24-2003, 03:42 PM
I get upset just thinking about that time for Duke. I'm going to be totally lost without him. I hope he has many healthy years ahead of him. I've never had a dog before that I've been this close to. I hope it gets easier because, for a while, life without Duke would be impossible.

K9soul
12-24-2003, 03:49 PM
I didn't mean to throw a pall of gloom at this time when it is supposed to be a happy and joyous time for all of us. I think all of us probably think about it from time to time and it isn't fun, but unfortunately a part of life.. however..

I took Tasha to Petco with me a few minutes ago, put her sweater on and we went to get some food and some treats and of course an extra toy or two.. As we walked through the store, I kept looking at her and smiling at her as she snuffled and watched everything curiously, then got a treat at the checkout. On the drive home, she laid her head on my arm and suddenly I was so full of love for her and joy that she was with me. I thought of how I felt when I wrote this thread but this time I felt an extreme sense of peace and overwhelming happiness.

Just wanted to share that.

Amber
12-24-2003, 03:59 PM
K9soul, Im with yo on this..1 year ago, I lost my beloved beagle mix Brodie. He ran away and we had never found him again. I still cry whenever I think about him..And if I ever hear a sad song I will always think of Brodie:(