PDA

View Full Version : 1st Time ever leaving cats alone PLEASE READ!

cutie_chica
12-23-2003, 01:35 PM
This is my first time ever leaving my kitties alone for longer than 2 days :( They have a kitty sitter thats coming over 2 times a day, once in the morning, and once at night, I will be gone for 5 days!!! Do you guys have any tips for me?? Should I feel this guilty? I have to go to my mothers, when I moved down here to Kentucky, I left all my stuff at her place, and she is moving into a small apartment, and I have to get some of my stuff, and 3 kitty carriers wont fit in my car well..... :o

PayItForward
12-23-2003, 01:48 PM
As long as you trust the kitty sitter, leave your cats and have a good time. :D

Our cat sitters, allow us to ring and check how things are going.

Maybe you could ring after a couple of days to check everything is fine. Won't they will have your mobile or your mums number in case of emergancies.

The biggest concern is the sulking, you will have to deal with on your return. I suggest catnip and new toys ;)

Lallypop11
12-23-2003, 02:02 PM
I know EXACTLY what you are going through at the thought of leaving your babies alone. We've had ours for about a year and a half and have left them over weekends and the longest was for 7 days at 2 different times, once on a cruise to Cozumel and once to Hawaii and then for 5 days at Christmas, so I have been there, done that. We are about to leave our babies alone for 4 nights so I am having similar anxiety as well.

I agree with "trust your pet sitter". Our pet sitter is a vet tech as well as works at the humane society and is a great friend, so she eased many of our worries. The cats will have that human interaction twice a day and that is fabulous. Just leave out plenty of food water and toys and leave a light on or on a timer for night time and tilt the blinds so that the kitties can still see out but burglars can't see in :eek: I sometimes will call and leave a message on our answering machine saying hi to the kitties so they can hear me (however silly that may sound). Other than that, you are doing the best thing for them you can, they feel safe and comfortable in their home environment as opposed to boarding them, they will just miss you, which is absolutely normal. They may make a little mess while you're gone to vent their frustrations, like pulling things off shelves or shredding toilet paper, but it's all because they miss you. When you come back they will act like big babies and pout, but that will soon fade and they will probably be extra lovey to Mommy. Don't worry, they will be just fine. :D Good luck!

Russian Blue
12-23-2003, 02:25 PM

*Leave a phone number where you can be reached in case of emergency.

* Leave the local vet's phone number and address (or emergency vet) in case the pet sitter needs to take the cat to the vet.

* Make sure every door has something on the door knob so that the cat can't accidently close themselves into a room. Nakita has locked herself into a room before! :rolleyes:

* Leave a couple of bowls of water around the home, in case the cat's spill one they have another water source.

I haven't had to leave Nakita for any extended period, but I would be worried too!

cutie_chica
12-23-2003, 03:28 PM
Thanks guys, :) Tony is already giving me the please dont go look, But His kitty sitter is right next door, so He will be okay, I will call and leave messages on the machine for sure!! And No that isnt a silly thing :) And I will make sure and bring back some kitty nip!! Thanks for the idea with things on the doornobs, because Princess and Patches likes to play by the door, one on each side, and batting at each other, and Im sure one of them would get locked in lol. You guys mean the world to me :) Thanks again so MUCH!!!

Lallypop11
12-23-2003, 03:40 PM
No problem, have fun on your trip! It will be like Christmas when you come home to lots of kitties that missed you! :D

cutie_chica
12-23-2003, 08:33 PM
I gave the kitties a talk...:) Told them where I was going and I would bring them back some real good kittyNip!!! They act a little mad, so I went 2 walmart and got them some new toys, so they are doing okay, I kinda think they are going to enjoy not having Humans around kinda like a vacation for them too!!! :D

prechrswife
12-23-2003, 09:21 PM
We have had to leave our cats alone several times. We have found that they respond much better to being left in the house than being boarded somewhere while we are gone. As has been stated several times, just be sure they have enough food, water, and entertainment, and that someone responsible is looking in on them for you. They will be fine.

jenluckenbach
12-24-2003, 04:53 AM
I never leave my kitties, so I can't really offer advice, but 2 times a day will be good. So as long as she is trustworthy, then go, have fun and hurry home with lots of presents so they don't give you the cold shoulder. ;)

NoahsMommy
12-24-2003, 07:34 AM
I just make sure to leave very explicit instructions for the people that watch our babies. I even add pictures to them, so they know exactly who to feed what. My mother-in-law still calls them all "her or she" and names them all Noah.... :rolleyes:

catmandu
12-24-2003, 09:31 AM
The Cats will , of course miss you , as they did , when I travelled to Copperstown. But they will be all right , cats are much more adaptable than Dogs! Meeeiaaaow from the Found Cats , who loved their American Toys!