PDA

View Full Version : Nigerian 419 scam

Paul
12-23-2003, 11:16 AM
   I know this topic has been discussed before, however, the following article has a lot of detail about one victim. It is a very sad story.

From the Sun Sentinel: Notorious e-mail scam snares Volusia retiree's nest egg (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/florida/orl-asecnigerian23122303dec23,0,4096704.story?coll=sfl a-news-florida)

Paul

dukedogsmom
12-23-2003, 12:43 PM
I can't believe people are that gullible! Poor guy. And he still doesn't think he was scammed.

moosmom
12-23-2003, 06:23 PM
Sorry but I think his own stupdity and greed got him in the pickle he's in.

Thanks for the heads up, Paul. I've been sent e-mails from these losers before and just dete them.

"There's a sucker born every minute" has a certain ring to it.

lizbud
12-23-2003, 07:12 PM
That is a very sad case. :( Poor man. Didn't he have family
to look after his best interests ? At his age ,maybe it's partly
dementia that made him so vulnerable. I also received the email
some time ago & thought "Yeah Right" and deleted it.

Twisterdog
12-23-2003, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by lizbud
That is a very sad case. :( Poor man. Didn't he have family
to look after his best interests ? At his age ,maybe it's partly
dementia that made him so vulnerable. I also received the email
some time ago & thought "Yeah Right" and deleted it.

I agree. Many times the elderly will fall for things that they wouldn't have when they were younger. It is, indeed, very sad.

My father has always been a financially astute man. "Neither a lender nor a borrower be" could have been his slogan. He also used to be quite a cynic, not trusting anyone about anything.

We recently discovered, however, that he had sent a LOT of money to someone he met over the internet. I won't go into any details, but suffice it to say that we were VERY shocked and surprised. COMPLETELY out of character for him! Dementia? Lonliness? Failure to comprehend new technology? We have no idea. But it was very heartbreaking for all of us, and SO humiliating for my dad.

lizbud
12-24-2003, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Twisterdog
I agree. Many times the elderly will fall for things that they wouldn't have when they were younger. It is, indeed, very sad.

My father has always been a financially astute man. "Neither a lender nor a borrower be" could have been his slogan. He also used to be quite a cynic, not trusting anyone about anything.

We recently discovered, however, that he had sent a LOT of money to someone he met over the internet. I won't go into any details, but suffice it to say that we were VERY shocked and surprised. COMPLETELY out of character for him! Dementia? Lonliness? Failure to comprehend new technology? We have no idea. But it was very heartbreaking for all of us, and SO humiliating for my dad.

I'm so sorry about your Dad.:( In life there comes a time when the parent/child roles reverse and it's the children who must
look after their parents. Whether driving them to the store or just
making personal visits to talk about things going on in their lives.
We really do need to stay connected somehow. It's often very
difficult in today's hectic pace of life. They may look fine, but the
mental decline is a slow process. I do wonder if this older man had family who lived close by or close friends he could have talked
to.