PDA

View Full Version : o no!!! Ottis bit a baby... :(

tikeyas_mom
12-23-2003, 02:59 AM
My god mom had twins a while back after trying to get pregnant for 5 years. When the babies were born everything seemed fine with Ottis and the babies. But now that the babies are crawling Ottis isnt being a good dog :(:(..

He recently bit one the the babies in the head, twice. :eek:..

They are putting him up for adoption.. My god mom wants to, but her husband doesnt :(:(..

I think ottis should be in a home where only adults and older children live. he is very bone agressive.

here is a pic of Ottis and one of her twin boys..

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid90/p5a77164602456309179f4f78f1d977f7/fa707d89.jpg

What do you think??

My god mom has taken Ottis to puppy classes, and obedience, but it didnt help.

Logan
12-23-2003, 09:08 AM
Some dogs just don't do well with kids. :( I hope they are keeping Otis away from the babies. He obviously needs a home where he can't hurt any kids. That had to be a very frightening experience for everyone.

Moose
12-23-2003, 09:25 AM
As sad as it may be to give him up, it would be for the better...for everyone. Ottis obviously just doesn't do well with kids...it happens. At least if given up for adoption and sent to a good home, he won't spend the next few years kept away from his family. :(

aly
12-23-2003, 10:18 AM
Obedience classes do not address aggression issues. Otis would need to see a behaviorist who specializes in aggression to get qualified help.

If it were me, I would try that before just giving him up for adoption. Dachshunds are pretty bad nippers/biters but sometimes the problem can be addressed. I would be baby gating my house to keep the dog seperate from the babies. But I would still be sure to spend a lot of quality time with the dog (when babies are napping, etc).

tikeyas_mom
12-23-2003, 10:38 AM
Ottis is kept away from the babies, locked away in the kitchen when they are crawling around. When they are sleeping he is allowed out to play ect..

I Dont think Ottis is a dog that should be around kinds EVER. He has even bitten me :eek:.

kingrattus
12-23-2003, 09:30 PM
I've noticed alot of smaller dogs just don't like anybody except their owners. they get too attached & too protective. I'm sure he'll find a good home. :)

aly
12-23-2003, 10:00 PM
There's a huge problem in rehoming biting dogs. I would NOT give him to the shelter. I would find a Dachshund rescue and inform them of the problem beforehand to be sure they can handle it.

tikeyas_mom
12-23-2003, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by aly
There's a huge problem in rehoming biting dogs. I would NOT give him to the shelter. I would find a Dachshund rescue and inform them of the problem beforehand to be sure they can handle it.

who said he was going to the spca?? She is selling him to a older couple, they are previouse dachy owner.

kingrattus
12-23-2003, 10:31 PM
TM thats some good news, they will know how to handle the breed :)

tikeyas_mom
12-23-2003, 10:32 PM
yupo

Moose
12-23-2003, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by kingrattus
I've noticed alot of smaller dogs just don't like anybody except their owners. they get too attached & too protective.

That I don't agree with or believe in the slightest bit. When I was younger, we had a Westie and a Jack Russel Terrier mix and they both were the sweetest dogs I have ever met [and no, not just to me]. Whenever I had friends over, they'd run right over with their tails wagging. I'm sorry...but I really don't see any truth in that statement.

Perhaps you're basing this assumption off of only one or two smaller dogs you've met?? :confused:

Dogz
12-23-2003, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Moose
That I don't agree with or believe in the slightest bit. When I was younger, we had a Westie and a Jack Russel Terrier mix and they both were the sweetest dogs I have ever met [and no, not just to me]. Whenever I had friends over, they'd run right over with their tails wagging. I'm sorry...but I really don't see any truth in that statement.

Perhaps you're basing this assumption off of only one or two smaller dogs you've met?? :confused:

I was going to say something about this comment. :x
Otis loves everyone. So, you can't say anything about little dogs-- big dogs can be like that too.:)

That is good that Ottis will be going to a good home, that is just too bad that he doesn't get along with kids. I am glad that they are not putting him to sleep, but they cannot keep their children in danger of an aggressive dog. They are making the right decision.

micki76
12-23-2003, 10:42 PM

I agree. I have 3 small dogs and two of them ADORE everyone. Millie doesn't like strangers, but Chester and Aneko really like to meet new people.

My westie was the life of any party and liked every person, dog, cat, or anything living that he ever met.

bardolino
12-24-2003, 08:09 AM
If you want to train the dog check out the K9 Coach. Seems that this guy has been very succesfull with agressive dog problems.

http://www.k9coach.com/

ramanth
12-24-2003, 08:51 AM
Sorry to hear Ottis has to be rehomed, but it sounds like it'll be for the best. :)

He's a real cutie.

Kfamr
12-24-2003, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
who said he was going to the spca?? She is selling him to a older couple, they are previouse dachy owner.

You said:

They are putting him up for adoption..

Thus giving someone the impression that he was going the a shelter, where they do adoptions.

I think he needs to see a behavorist and break this habit, before he gets 'sold' to anyone.
Poor dog. :(

Kfamr
12-24-2003, 08:57 AM
That I don't agree with or believe in the slightest bit.

Ditto. My grandmother's three Maltese are very much attatched to them, but they love other people just as much.

tikeyas_mom
12-24-2003, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Kfamr
You said:

Thus giving someone the impression that he was going the a shelter, where they do adoptions.

I think he needs to see a behavorist and break this habit, before he gets 'sold' to anyone.
Poor dog. :(

i said they are putting him up for adoption because it sounds alot better then "they are selling him". They dont want to deal with an agressive dog, my god mom is even affraid of him :eek:.. They are not giving him tot the shelter, they are adopting him out from their home with a fee, to make sure he goes to a good home.

Kfamr
12-24-2003, 10:48 AM
A fee doesn't always garuntee a good home.

K9soul
12-24-2003, 10:49 AM
I hope the new owners are fully aware of his nipping problem :(

Moose
12-24-2003, 11:28 AM
...as do I, I'd hate to see him shuffled around again. That poor dog...:(

tikeyas_mom
12-24-2003, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by K9soul
I hope the new owners are fully aware of his nipping problem :(

the will be :):)..

tikeyas_mom
12-24-2003, 06:50 PM
...as do I, I'd hate to see him shuffled around again. That poor dog...:(

shuffled around again??He was bought from a breeder and was raised around children and kinds and adults, as well as other dogs and cats. He just came up with this biting problem when my god mom got pregnant, that was when he was a about 1 years old. He isnt neutered, could that be a factor???

Twisterdog
12-24-2003, 09:28 PM
I've noticed alot of smaller dogs just don't like anybody except their owners. they get too attached & too protective.

That is an overgeneralization, and not necesarily true. Size has NOTHING to do with it. It is all about the way the dog is bred, raised and trained. It is possible to have a five pound dog that is friendly and well-socialized, just as it is possible to have an 85 pound dog that is "too attached and too protective."

My small dogs LOVE everyone that they meet. They are friendly to a fault, and they ADORE children.

I really get sick and tired of the "small dog" stereotypes. NO, all small dogs are not biters, nippers, neurotic, hyper, or "too attached and too protective". Just like not all pit bulls are aggressive, not all border collies are neurotic, hyper workaholics, not all chows are one-person loners.

Please don't perpetuate myths and assumptions, with no backing in fact.

kingrattus
12-24-2003, 10:01 PM
Twisterdog I said it as my own observation, not a stereotype.