PDA

View Full Version : Bramble Update

PayItForward
12-22-2003, 04:19 PM
Just a few pictures of Bramble being happy and healthy....

http://www.piftails.com/images/BamBam_1.jpg

http://www.piftails.com/images/BamBam_2.jpg

http://www.piftails.com/images/BamBam_3.jpg

The vet has recommend trying new food until we find one that Brambles bottom likes.

I am trying to find an animal cruelty free food, so.....

Does anyone have links for English cruelty free cat food suggestions ?

Has anyone heard of Denes food (Natural pet care since 1951) ?

Russian Blue
12-22-2003, 05:47 PM
Did you give an update somewhere else, and I missed it? What did the vet find out was wrong? Is it a food allergy?

I went to the Denes food site and it sounds excellent, especially since it's available near you.

Solid Gold is another dry cat food that you may want to try. It has Lamb meal as the main protein source, and usually when you switch protein sources, the cat does well (along with no byproducts, corn etc.)

Brambles pics are wonderful!

:)

ChrisH
12-22-2003, 06:16 PM
Aww, lovely pictures, Bramble is adorable.:)

Have you thought of giving Burns cat food a try?
Burns Pet Nutrition (http://www.burns-pet-nutrition.co.uk/index.htm).
I can highly recommend the dog food, and it is only because there is no specific reason to change that I don't feed Ebby on it. Though I am seriously thinking about doing so in the near future. :)

Chris

smokey the elder
12-22-2003, 06:51 PM
What a gorgeous kitty. I bet Bramble is very proud of her tail. It's like a plume!

Steffi N
12-22-2003, 06:58 PM
I'm happy to see Bramble looking so comfortable. Yes, you do have beautiful fur, Bramble. :) I hope you are able to find a suitable food for her soon.

Miss Meow
12-22-2003, 09:56 PM
Brambles looks gorgeous :)

I haven't heard of those brands, but I hope you find something suitable for her :)

catcrazylady
12-22-2003, 10:45 PM
Bramble is such a beautiful kitty! So restful and sound to sleep. Makes me want to snuggle up and nap!
I hope that whatever food you choose it will work for Bramble's tummy. Good luck and Merry Christmas!

boscibo
12-22-2003, 10:52 PM
Try here; http://www.uncaged.co.uk/petfood.htm

I'm pretty sure I got this link from here, just a few days ago, but unfortunately I can't remember who posted it. Bramble is so pretty, I love black cats.

jazzcat
12-22-2003, 11:46 PM
Wow, Bramble is gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope you are able to find that perfect food.

krazyaboutkatz
12-23-2003, 12:57 AM
I'm so glad to see that Bramble is doing well. She's gorgeous and really reminds me of my RB Pepper.:) I sure hope that you can find the right food for her soon.

She may look something like this when she grows up except that she'll be much smaller.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid44/pdec3edafe5f0adbe16d42758346dc9aa/fce123cd.jpg
This is my RB Pepper.

Tonya
12-23-2003, 08:06 AM
He sure is a pretty kitty. I love his fluffy tail.

catmandu
12-23-2003, 09:04 AM
Bramble is one awesome Cat. Best Wishes to all the Payit Forward Cats , from the Found Cats Hotel , all the toys will come to you!

PayItForward
12-23-2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Russian Blue
Did you give an update somewhere else, and I missed it? What did the vet find out was wrong? Is it a food allergy?

I went to the Denes food site and it sounds excellent, especially since it's available near you.

Solid Gold is another dry cat food that you may want to try. It has Lamb meal as the main protein source, and usually when you switch protein sources, the cat does well (along with no byproducts, corn etc.)

Brambles pics are wonderful!

:)
The vet said that he thinks she has a delicate gut and we are too keep swapping the food (slowly) until we find one she likes.

He thinks because she recovers very quickly with antibiotics, that it can't be anything nasty.

So I am looking for the best food with little or no by-products in it.

The vet suggested the first ingrediant should be a named meat. i.e. Chicken followed by rice/maise with no byproducts if possible.

But I am confused... I thought 'meal' was another phrase for byproducts ?

Russian Blue
12-23-2003, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by PayItForward
So I am looking for the best food with little or no by-products in it.

The vet suggested the first ingrediant should be a named meat. i.e. Chicken followed by rice/maise with no byproducts if possible.

But I am confused... I thought 'meal' was another phrase for byproducts ?

You actually *want* to see a meal as the first ingredient. Meal means that the water has been extracted from the protein source and what is left is the actual meat. Also, you want to see an identifiable meal listed such as chicken meal (rather than meat meal).Labels list ingredients by weight, so when you see 'chicken' as a first ingredient, it means that it is heaviest in weight, *but* also contains water. Chicken meal listed first on a label, will be the actual protein without the water and therefore more beneficial because it is pure protein.

I would try the brands that are listed above in the thread that you can purchase locally. Since I'm in Canada, I'm not familiar with the one food you quoted, but from it's website it seems like a good food.

Personally, I would also stay away from any food with corn, beef, by-products, corn gluten meal, artificial preservatives, flavours, or colours since they can cause an allergic reaction to sensitive stomachs.

PayItForward
12-23-2003, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Russian Blue
You actually *want* to see a meal as the first ingredient. Meal means that the water has been extracted from the protein source and what is left is the actual meat. Also, you want to see an identifiable meal listed such as chicken meal (rather than meat meal).Labels list ingredients by weight, so when you see 'chicken' as a first ingredient, it means that it is heaviest in weight, *but* also contains water. Chicken meal listed first on a label, will be the actual protein without the water and therefore more beneficial because it is pure protein.

I would try the brands that are listed above in the thread that you can purchase locally. Since I'm in Canada, I'm not familiar with the one food you quoted, but from it's website it seems like a good food.

Personally, I would also stay away from any food with corn, beef, by-products, corn gluten meal, artificial preservatives, flavours, or colours since they can cause an allergic reaction to sensitive stomachs.
Great advice.

Thankyou for correcting my mistake over 'meal'.

I'll go and look at the options, in light of this new information. :D

ChrisH
12-23-2003, 02:46 PM
Burns Real Food for Cats - Brown Rice and Chicken.
A complete food with no added wheat, soya, GM ingredients or artificial antioxidants, naturally preserved with vitamin E and Rosemary oil and with added natural fish oils.
We guarantee that no battery raised chicken are used in our products, and that the chicken is free of antibiotics or growth hormones.

Analysis: Protein 28%, Oil 10.6%, Fibre 4.5%

Contains: Brown rice, poultry meat meal, maize, chicken liver, fish meal, poultry fat, fish oil, seaweed, minerals and vitamins.

Chris

p.s. Burns are also one of the first to be approved under the BUAV`s 'No Animal Testing' Standard http://www.helpthedogs.org/index_campaigns.html

PayItForward
12-23-2003, 03:19 PM
Chris,

I have just left the Burns website, as you mentioned it on the other thread.

I am just concerned that there is more rice than meat in the food. My vet said specifically meat must be the first item. But I might order a bag and see how Bramble goes on it, esp as they do no testing at all.

I am picking up a bag of Denes from my petshop tomorrow, so I'll be trying that first. But I can't not find it on either a cruelty or cruelty free list ?!?

I would be happier if I could find out.

Julie Grove
12-23-2003, 05:34 PM
Hi, you might want to try James Wellbeloved (dried food) or Royal Canin. RC make a convalesence food in pouches which can only be bought from your vet. I can't say if these are cruelty free but they are free from additives. Have you considered a home cooked diet? My Gigi frequently used to vomit after eating the commercial wet foods and so I gradually changed to a fresh food diet (mackeral/turkey/salmon/trout etc) and slowly introduced vegetables. She never vomited again. This can be given raw or cooked. I believe that rice should be given very sparingly.