PDA

View Full Version : california earthquake!!

RICHARD
12-22-2003, 01:23 PM
6.4 in San Simeon california...

Whoa Nellie!!!!

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Another ARNOLD production???

let's see FIRE, EARTHQUAKE, THE FLU.....we need PESTILENCE NOW!!!!!

GoldenRetrLuver
12-22-2003, 01:38 PM
I felt it!!
The dogs were going NUTS about a minute before the earthquake hit, and after. :eek:

California is cursed! ;)

zippy-kat
12-22-2003, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD
6.4 in San Simeon california...

Whoa Nellie!!!!

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Another ARNOLD production???

let's see FIRE, EARTHQUAKE, THE FLU.....we need PESTILENCE NOW!!!!!

You're not pest enough? ;)

RICHARD
12-22-2003, 01:43 PM
San Simeon is about 250??? miles from downtown L.A.

I hope all the No Cal folks are OK........

I voted for Ahrnold so I will take some of the blame for it....

http://quake.usgs.gov/waveforms/helicorder/JSFB_EHZ_NC_00_22221212.html

A link to the seismograph......

each line in between the hour on the left is a 15 minute segment of each hour....

trayi52
12-22-2003, 02:11 PM
GoldenRetrLuver, the dogs always knows..............

RICHARD
12-22-2003, 02:16 PM
I know this is not funny but, there are reports of people at a winery being hurt by falling barrels of wine....

Isn't that typical California????

Hurt during a wine tasting tour!!!!

I guess it beats breaking your leg skiing.

:confused:

Zip,

Yes, I am a pest!

ramanth
12-22-2003, 02:24 PM
EEK!! Heard the epicenter was northern cali.... my sister is a newbie to this (living near LA). I hope she's not too freaked out. Mom's calling her now.

gini
12-22-2003, 02:25 PM
(makes mental note to remind Richard to not stack the wine barrels at Thursdays).

I have only read that they have evacuated Hearst Castle in San Simeon - lots and lots of aftershocks!!

http://quake.wr.usgs.gov/recenteqs/ - this is another good link.

RICHARD
12-22-2003, 02:28 PM
when an earthquake hits out here your address, Zip Code and Area Code change.

Where ever you land when the shaking stops that's your new ZC/AC..

KitKat023
12-22-2003, 02:37 PM
I'm no where near cali, but I hope everyone is ok! I've been though earthquakes before. Scary business.

RICHARD
12-22-2003, 02:57 PM
lol,

The four seasons in california are-

Flood, Drought, Fire and Earthquake.

If it's winter, it must be earthquake....

I misspoke earlier......We are have had Flu outbreaks here....

I think we are short the Plague though......

trayi52
12-22-2003, 03:08 PM
Shuuuuuuuuush, somebody may be listening....Richard!;)

popcornbird
12-22-2003, 03:13 PM
Pssst..............I TOLD you God was mad at Californians. You didn't believe me! ;):p

I just heard about it, and came online to ask if everyone's ok. Are all of you crazy Californians OK?!?!

6.5! :eek: That's what it says on CNN! EEPS! :eek:

RICHARD
12-22-2003, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird
Pssst..............I TOLD you God was mad at Californians. You didn't believe me! ;):p

I just heard about it, and came online to ask if everyone's ok. Are all of you crazy Californians OK?!?!

so far no reports of any deaths.......whew!!!

The local Los Angeles stations do have some pics posted-apparently one building collapsed and there are power outages in Cambria.

Cinder & Smoke
12-22-2003, 04:06 PM
Richard's at it, again :rolleyes: ...

Rockin :eek: da Boat!! :p

Hope nunna da Gud Stuff fell offa Top Shelf inna Pub!!

:D

KitKat023
12-22-2003, 04:07 PM
as for our seasons, there are wet, dry, hot, hotter, and cold/snow and we have flu....epidemic whatever it's called going on too. And this year we didn't really ever have wet, just dry hot hotter and cold, snow only lasts about 10 hours....

popcornbird
12-22-2003, 04:09 PM
Oh, forgot to ask...........did any of you feel it? :confused:

KitKat023
12-22-2003, 04:13 PM
I think I'm entirely to far away to feel it....

RICHARD
12-22-2003, 04:22 PM
Oh, forgot to ask...........did any of you feel it? :confused:

yes!!

IN the 6 or 7 EQs I have been thru this one had a slow rocking motion......Like being in a hammock.....

I work on the 4th floor of a building about 6 miles from downtown Lost Angeles.....some people in the high rises down there said the buildings were actually creaking!! :eek:

This just reported....

2 dead in the quake.:(

The worst part of being in ANY quake is the
thought of 'Is it gonna get worse??' Some quakes peter out and some start slow, pick up steam and really scare the poop out of you!!!!!

Pam
12-22-2003, 04:27 PM
Once again I am getting my news from Pet Talk! No TV or radio on today so far, but then again I have been out. I also heard about the capture of Saddam through a Pet Talk post. We have some very excellent reporters here. What would I do without you? :)

Richard, and you other Californians - come live on the EAST COAST - the safe coast! LOL! I have a nephew in California and am wondering how many more of these he will live through before he comes home.

trayi52
12-22-2003, 04:30 PM
I just seen it on the news, there are two dead, how awful. I just hope that everybody else are alright. :(

popcornbird
12-22-2003, 04:34 PM
Now 3 are dead. :( Pam, the Eastern coast has too many hurricanes and tornados. My dad always talks of how wild and dangerous the waters of the East Coast is! :p Maybe its safer.........without a coast at all. ;) I don't think the Californians would like the twisters either! Guess every place has its drawbacks!

KitKat023
12-22-2003, 04:39 PM
I can't say anything about here, many tornadoes..... but that's what storm shelters and insurance are for..... opps I just realized we don't have either here..... that kinda sux. Oh well, I'll be moving eventually....he he he I'ma put a safe room in that house....

RICHARD
12-22-2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Pam

Richard, and you other Californians - come live on the EAST COAST - the safe coast! LOL! I have a nephew in California and am wondering how many more of these he will live through before he comes home.

Remember fish and visitors start to smell after three days.;)

My dad and I would have discussions on twisters versus EQ's...

Waiting for a twister and the possibility of finding ALL your stuff scattered across the county
is one thing....

Being caught off-guard by in an earthquake BUT finding all your possesions in a pile is no better ....:confused:

some links to Los Angeles TV stations..

http://www.nbc4.tv/index.html

http://www.kcbs-tv.com/

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/#

trayi52
12-22-2003, 04:52 PM
Yeah I guess there are drawback everywhere you go, and waking up in a tree would not be a funthing either.

I am not sure, what is so bad about Tn, could it be us rednecks? Sometimes we just love them taters, bean, and hamhocks, don't you know.:D ;)

But it is awful, Three dead now?:( Hope there aren't anymore. I have never been in an earthquake before, so it would really have to be scarey. Did you feel it Richard?

RICHARD
12-22-2003, 05:04 PM
I know that Gini can back me up on this......as
stupid as it sounds....

Yes, I felt it-but you never get used to it....when a huge truck rumbles past the house the
first thing you do is look for ANYTHING that hangs
in the area....

After the 87 earthquake I put up a steel nut on a piece of string, with a sign that said 'earthquake dectector" above it....

Once you KNOW that it's an earthquake you look for a place to run to SHOULD the shaking get worse...

There are the gentle swaying EQ's, like today's-
Then you get the ROCK MY WORLD quakes that make things jump up and down and side to side!

The one thing I remember about the '94 quake was chocolate cake..... when I got to my parent's house I walked thru the kitchen to see a choco cake that was upside down on the counter.....I LOVE CHOCO CAKE and was really bothered that this one got wasted.........When I asked my mom about it she told me that the freezer opened, the cake jumped across a five foot gap only to commit suicide, upside down, on the counter.

It was the ONLY thing that made the leap.....everything else stayed inside...:confused: :eek: :(

This one was particularly long....about 30-40 seconds.......an eternity when you are scared!!!!

KitKat023
12-22-2003, 05:04 PM
my local news just reported on it, they said one dead, but I knew better with the links that were up. I'm truely sorry for the families of those victems...

trayi52
12-22-2003, 05:44 PM
Next time tell your mother to hold on to the chocalate cake.

No really that has to be scarey when you don't know if "as fred sandford says" this is the big one.

I have always been afraid of earthquakes, when I was a little girl , I remember one, that just had me so scared, I thought it could happen where we live. Which they do say there is a fault line that runs through TN.

So I hope all you people in California will try and stay safe.

Tray

RICHARD
12-22-2003, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Cinder & Smoke
Richard's at it, again :rolleyes: ...

Rockin :eek: da Boat!! :p

:D

The first people that get rolling are the FD's out here......They pull the rigs out of the garages...
A few years ago they had a quake that trapped quite a few of the trucks in the station houses...
There are some SH's that are 60-70 years old!!!

We have the LA County USAR (Urban Search and Rescue)depot up the street from us....

It's very comforting to know those guys are there!!!

We do have a pretty good system set up here in SO CAL.....it's wishful thinking that we would NEVER have to use it!!!:eek:

I'll try to behave......no more biblical emergencies.....:confused:

mugsy
12-22-2003, 06:16 PM
Well maybe Cali will break off sooner than geologists predicted....Alaska here you come.....well, you wouldn't live to see it since it will be subducted under Alaska only to be melted into magma to start becoming granite.....hmmmmm....the possibilities.

Seriously, I hope there is no more loss of life and my sympathies to the families that lost loved ones.

Pam
12-22-2003, 06:28 PM
Guess every place has its drawbacks

In light of the elevated terror alert I am reminded of 9/11 and how the attacks took place on the East Coast. I guess there really is no safe place.

I have lived through a couple of hurricanes but at least there is plenty of warning in advance. Is there currently any technology to detect in advance, even by a few days, if an EQ is around the corner?

FurMomx6
12-22-2003, 06:48 PM
I just got back from a 2 hour drive visiting family. On the way there this morning, We stopped at a Mcdonalds in Filmore and I felt the earth quake when I was feeling up my soda cup. It was really freaky feeling. I thought It was just me and I was feeling dizzy but a hanging sign started swinging and everyone felt it. I hope everyone else in Cali is ok and there aren't anymore deaths!

KYS
12-22-2003, 06:51 PM
posted by mugsy:Well maybe Cali will break off sooner than geologists predicted....>>>>

Finally I will have beach front property!!

I felt it. 5 of us started feeling dizzy and neauseus.
It felt like you were on a big cruise ship and the
ship was gently rocking.
I feel bad for the folks that live near the epi center.

GoldenRetrLuver
12-22-2003, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by KYS
posted by mugsy:Well maybe Cali will break off sooner than geologists predicted....>>>>

Finally I will have beach front property!!

I felt it. 5 of us started feeling dizzy and neauseus.
It felt like you were on a big cruise ship and the
ship was gently rocking.

That's EXACTLY what it felt like! Every time I got up I thought I was going to fall. :p I thought something was wrong with me *imagine that? :p* and then my dad called and said "Did you feel the earthquake?!"

gini
12-22-2003, 09:39 PM
After the last large earthquake (6.9) in Los Angeles, in 1993??,
I had my house bolted to its foundation.

My home is old (1913) and the homes were built then to just "sit" on the foundation - assuming the sheer weight of the house kept it in place. Guess they didn't have many earthquakes back then.

I have noticed that the last several larger earthquakes I did not feel at all. I did not feel this one. I have no idea if this is because of the foundation being bolted now. I hope so.

I heard on the local news channel that Paso Robles, where the lives were lost and the most damage has occurred that there is a strong odor of sulphur in the town. Apparently Paso Robles sits on natural sulphur springs and years ago they used to have bathing houses using those springs. The news said that they had built an underground pipe to carry the water away from the center of town - but the pipe broke in this earthquake and flooded a street.

Richard is right - you don't ever really get used to them. And when they hit - you hold your breath - is it going to get worse or is this it? In the 6.9 earthquake which hit early in the morning, I was gripping my mattress for all it was worth - and my four poster bed was bucking like a bronco -

I have ceiling fans and I always look up to see if the chains are swinging - or was it just a big truck going by.

Tonya
12-22-2003, 10:45 PM

LMAO!

It's our lousy driving that he's mad about!

I didn't feel it. I haven't had the time to read up on it...wondering how bad the damage is. If the damage is bad, I'll be going to both the So. Cal fires and the quakes for work. So far, they're rebuilding the So Cal fires pretty quick though. I have a feeling there won't be much work left by the time my rotation comes.

trayi52
12-22-2003, 11:44 PM
Tonya, I thought about you today when I heard that, and wondered if you was okay, Thank god, you are.

Tray

AmberLee
12-23-2003, 12:07 AM
Well, I felt it, but just felt dizzy. I wondered if it was an earthquake, but it was so completely silent I just thought it was the aftermath of the bug I had over the weekend.

So sorry to hear of the deaths. Apparently part of a shopping center/ clock tower (?) fell. Two were rescued safely and either two or three were killed by the falling debris. Tragic.

I was shocked to read that there was an earthquake that was almost that size either yesterday or this morning in Georgia/ northern Alabama. I keep forgetting that we're not the only ones with geological faults. Did anyone feel the other quake?

Tonya
12-23-2003, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by trayi52
Tonya, I thought about you today when I heard that, and wondered if you was okay, Thank god, you are.

Tray

Thank you for thinking of me, Tray. I live far enough from the fault where we usually don't feel to much. I'm about an hour and a half from San Fransisco, but that's far enough! The only one that really scared me was the 1989 one. Aside from that, it's usually just little tremors.