PDA

View Full Version : Another dog for sale on ebay

lovemyshiba
12-21-2003, 10:29 AM
They have already been notified by several people, look at this cutie:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3647302670&category=50725&rd=1

I can't believe people think they can get away with selling dogs on ebay--can you imagine how many would be there if it weren't against policy??

The seller is also selling a porsche 911.:rolleyes:

Tonya
12-21-2003, 11:32 AM
I came a cross a site a while back that sold poms. It had the "Buy it now" button on the site. All the little disclaimers (shipping fee, transaction fee, etc...) were all drawn up and ready to go. I couldn't believe it! :mad:

Moose
12-21-2003, 11:39 AM
That's awful! :eek::eek: That poor dog....:( :(

trayi52
12-21-2003, 12:10 PM
Did you see what a price they had on that poor little thing? Whew! To me that is a big price! :eek:

Tray

petlover
12-21-2003, 12:57 PM
The nerve of trying to sell that precious little pup on ebay!!:mad:

dukedogsmom
12-21-2003, 01:59 PM
"Auction ended because of an error in the listing" I feel so bad for that dog and the mother that brought it into the world.

Uabassoon
12-21-2003, 02:02 PM
Such a cute little puppy, poor baby :(.

amoore
12-21-2003, 06:42 PM
I never go to Ebay. I had heard they sell all kinds of things there, I didn't know they sold dogs too! Poor baby!:(

Kfamr
12-21-2003, 06:58 PM
They say they bought her from a pet store...
But give the name of the mother and father.
Do pet stores actually give out that information?

lovemyshiba
12-21-2003, 07:06 PM
I don't understand that one either KayAnn
I recieved the same information from my shiba rescue group, and they were trying to figure out if any of the breeders knew of the parents' names. Since responsible breeders don't sell to pet stores, I guess nothing was turned up.
Apparently, someone who emailed her said she didn't know that you couldn't sell a puppy on ebay, and she does still want to sell that sweet little Shiba. Shiba rescue wanted to step in, but since it's not a case where the dog is in trouble, they can't.

I would take her in a heartbeat--not for $1300. Apparently that's all she's worth to them though, is money.:(

lovemyshiba
12-21-2003, 09:48 PM
Look what else I found:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?MfcISAPICommand=ViewItem&item=2367901031

I'm sure it is very hard to watch everything that goes on there, but the live animals makes me sick--I hope no one can sell their pet.
And this girl "I love my beautiful persian cat so much, that I have to sell her":mad:

Kfamr
12-21-2003, 10:27 PM
:mad: :mad: This is even crazier than the dirty bra someone posted about a while back. These things should be screened better. :mad: :mad:

The people wiht the puppy are very confusing. Maybe they wanted to make it loks like they saved it from a pet store but really bred her? :confused: Who knows! :eek:

zippy-kat
12-21-2003, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
They say they bought her from a pet store...
But give the name of the mother and father.
Do pet stores actually give out that information?

If she is actually AKC registered, the papers would contain the info on the parents.

In this case I would say the puppy is purebred but a question I've always wondered.... how hard could it be to fake an AKC certificate?

Kfamr
12-21-2003, 10:45 PM
Although I have no idea what they look like, you could probably easily make one with your computer.

micki76
12-21-2003, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by zippy-kat
In this case I would say the puppy is purebred but a question I've always wondered.... how hard could it be to fake an AKC certificate?

I've never thought about it, but I would think it would be pretty easy.

zippy-kat
12-21-2003, 11:00 PM
Although I have no idea what they look like, you could probably easily make one with your computer.

Yeah that would be the easy part... the "tough" part would be rigging the fwding address, etc. I don't know if that made sense... Like with Sara's, we had to send the papers to NY(?) and they did whatever to it and then sent us the certificate. If the 'criminals' wanted to appear legit, they'd have to come up with a NY mailing addy.

:rolleyes: I'm a dork... I think of the strangest things. lol

wolf_Q
12-21-2003, 11:16 PM
I remember watching on Dateline or some show like that where they registered a litter of kittens as golden retrievers (or something close to that). Puppy mills use AKC certificates for dogs that aren't even in the litter or purebred sometimes.

So an AKC certificate is not a guarantee of a high qualitly dog, or even a purebred dog in some cases. Maybe one could be created on the computer, or stolen, it's possible.

wolfsoul
12-21-2003, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by wolf_Q
I remember watching on Dateline or some show like that where they registered a litter of kittens as golden retrievers (or something close to that). Puppy mills use AKC certificates for dogs that aren't even in the litter or purebred sometimes.
That's true. I watched Dateline once, and it said that they registered a pig as a golden retriever. That's why alot of people prefer to use CKC. AKC will accept a picture, and boom, your dog is registered, but CKC actually has to come to your house and spend some time with your dog.

I think that these people want what is best for their pets; they are just looking in the wrong place. I don't think that Ebay is much different than putting an ad in the paper.. but it's just...You're letting people bid for your pet...these could be people thousands of miles away. I wouldn't trust it, and I don't agree with it. However, I'd be more concerned about WHO gets my pet than how they get it. I don't know, it's pretty conflicting. I hope that these pets find some loving homes. :) Ebay does the best it can to keep these things from happening; there are so many ads; you can't exactly screen all of them in a day.

trayi52
12-22-2003, 12:55 AM
I knew a couple of breeders here where I live, that put paper with their dogs, they kept papers of the dogs that died, and did not return them to the AKC, or when they has a litter of pups they would just order extra copies so they could put them with their pups.

I know I have seen puppies from them that were supposed to be Chihuahuas, but they were far from being Chihuahuas, I have owned Chihuahua for over 17 years, seen a lot of Chihuahuas, and visited a lot of breeders, and these guys just was not right the way they done.

I bought one Chihuahua from one of them, but she came from somebody else and he had bought the mother of the one I got just to get her to use as a breeder. She was my little Tito, she is a whole different story though, and I will tell you about her someday.

But I just wanted to tell you that yes they do just put papers on these dogs that don't even belong to the pup, and the pup is not even registered.

Some people are just lowlifes, and breed for the money. Not the breed.

Like I said, these guys didn't have to fake a certificate, they just ordered extras with every litter they had, and if they got a hold of a pup that had no paper, then just bring out the extras, and the puppy was registered. I know this to be a fact.

Of course now with the dna testing, I don't know if that would be possible, would it?

Whoops, I am blabbering again!!!!

Tray

dukedogsmom
12-22-2003, 06:56 AM
I sent her a note with my feelings about it and will notify Ebay when I get home. It's blocked here. Luckily, I have an account there so she won't know my email address(ref the cat listed)

wolfsoul
12-22-2003, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by trayi52

Of course now with the dna testing, I don't know if that would be possible, would it?

DNA testing can determine a pup's parents, but it's extremely expensive and I don't think AKC ever bothers lol.

trayi52
12-22-2003, 12:27 PM
So if AKC isn't bothering, just think what some of these low-life breeders are doing, they just keep ordering extra papers with their litters just to use on other puppies just for the money!!

There are so many people that buy from this one here that does that, and I wonder about the puppies background when I see them. They are so proud, I don't want to say anything about their puppy. I mean, I know how I would feel if somebody said my baby was a dud.

I seen one buy a Poodle from this one, and he swore to them it going to be tiny, really tiny, like a teacup. This toy poodle grew up to weigh 15 or 16 pounds, now that is just wrong to tell somebody a flat bald face lie like that.

One of the breeders I am talking about is now dead, but this other one is just sitting there charging outrageous prices for his puppies, and getting rich, he owns over 200 dogs, has them scattered around his place in every kind of housing you can think of.

I have advised people not to buy from this one breeder, and try to point them to a bredder that is reputable. Go figure.....

luckies4me
12-22-2003, 12:51 PM
I agree with Wolfsoul. The dog looks well cared for so we can't be too harsh on the owner. Yes what she is doing is a little bizarre, but maybe she thinks she's doing the best thing for the animal? She did say they don't have the time for the dog like they thought they would. I think instead of condoning the owner we should help educate and maybe give her some good ideas on how to place the dog without using EBAY. Maybe she thinks if someone is willing to pay that amount of money, that the dog will be well cared for. And like Jordan said, it's really no different then putting an add in the paper, except someone is bidding for your animal, and maybe that is what the lady wanted, as she's gullable and thinks if someone pays a higher price they will take care of her. "Well if they can spend 2,000 bucks for her, they must have enough money to provide vet care, good puppy food, etc." That is how some people think. I think it's our job as animal lovers to help people like this, so that they avoid this in the future. You don't know. She could LOVE this dog. How do you know she doesn't? How do you know she doesn't treat the dog nice, provide a lot of love, and toys etc.?

And just to clarify a lot of petshops hand out papers, as I used to work at a petstore and we did give the owners their AKC, UKC, or CKC papers along with the dogs vet history etc.

But another thing I wanted to mention is that I have been in the Westminster Malls petshop hundreds of times, since well I used to live in Orange County and grew up in Orange County and they take as good care of their dogs as they can. I am not trying to justify pet shops who sell live animals, but I know that they do get pedigreed and registered dogs. I doubt the owners faked the papers, but the breeder could have. It happens all the time.

Anyways, I see the owner lives in Huntington. I used to live there, right on the beach. I better be able to go back to California soon darnet. Especially in the summer. I used to be 2 mins walking distance from the beach, and lets face it, Oregon's coast is nothing compared to California's beaches. :p Anyways, going way off topic there lol!

moosmom
12-22-2003, 03:39 PM
Now you know why I do NOT trust breeders as far as I can throw them! :mad: I have 3 purebred cats rescued from bad breeders to prove it.

Lovemyshiba,

The link you posted has been closed down by e-bay.

dukedogsmom
12-23-2003, 12:48 PM
I guess the girl with the cat did think she was doing good by it. Here's the reply I got:
It is not that I'm trying to get bids for her, it took me 5 mos. to get her from a breeder, and she cost a fortune, my own work money.
If someone is willing to pay for her, then in a way to me, it means they must really want her. I'm actually scared to death to just give her to a stranger. I love her dearly. My mom already has 2 cats and 2 dogs, she just can't take on another pet, she is a single working woman. And all of my friends are students too, so they can't take her. I'm just trying to find her a home,

luckies4me
12-23-2003, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by dukedogsmom
If someone is willing to pay for her, then in a way to me, it means they must really want her.

Exactly what I thought.

Quotes from my post.

Maybe she thinks if someone is willing to pay that amount of money, that the dog will be well cared for. "Well if they can spend 2,000 bucks for her, they must have enough money to provide vet care, good puppy food, etc." That is how some people think.

Some people just think that way, and to them they are doing the best thing they feel possible for their animals.

Kfamr
12-23-2003, 01:03 PM
If someone is willing to pay that much it means nothing lol.

They could want it for a party, to attract girls for a while, whatever lame excuse alot of people have -- it never means they had the intentions of caring for it.

luckies4me
12-23-2003, 01:06 PM
If someone is willing to pay that much it means nothing lol.

They could want it for a party, to attract girls for a while, whatever lame excuse alot of people have -- it never means they had the intentions of caring for it.

You're right, it means absolutely nothing, but to THEM, the owners, they think that way and feel in their heart they are doing the best they can for those animals. I am just trying to point out how some people think.

trayi52
12-23-2003, 01:26 PM
I guess your right at least its not sitting on a table for 7 days, being auctioned off like furniture. It is running around the house being a dog. (I hope). I would never be able to afford that much for a dog though.

Willie

wolfsoul
12-23-2003, 02:55 PM
I think that having money and willing to pay it does mean something. Would you rather give your pet to someone who has hardly any money, or someone with alot of money? I'd rather give it to someone who I know can atleast afford vet bills and good food. Whether they have the intentions to care for it is irrelevant, because either a rich or poor person could have bad intentions.

QueenScoopalot
06-23-2004, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by wolf_Q

So an AKC certificate is not a guarantee of a high qualitly dog, or even a purebred dog in some cases. Maybe one could be created on the computer, or stolen, it's possible. All one has to do is send in the registration fee of whatever it is, and they can register a stuffed animal with the AKC. I saw the same Dateline/20/20? show. It means nothing having that piece of paper. I clicked the e-bay links, but both were down....and I'm glad for that. Grrrr the human race. :mad: